Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:39:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ICBIT Derivatives Market (USD/BTC futures trading) - LIVE  (Read 97621 times)
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 03:20:03 AM

I'm conditioned to hate on the words "derivative" and "futures".

What the hell is this?  Paper manipulation like how JP Morgan shorts more silver than what exists in the world?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ichthyo

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2012, 04:08:13 AM

What the hell is this?  Paper manipulation like how JP Morgan shorts more silver than what exists in the world?

at least you can't say "Its a bucket shop" -- since here people are betting against each other
Andrew Vorobyov

Activity: 558

View Profile
October 12, 2012, 02:35:30 PM

There are no sell orders at your exchange.

Are you responsible for market making BUZ2 this or it's only P2P?
Fireball (OP)

Activity: 674

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2012, 06:00:22 PM

There are no sell orders at your exchange.

Are you responsible for market making BUZ2 this or it's only P2P?
It's fully P2P. There are of course some traders who act as market makers, but we don't run our market making bot nowadays (we did in the past).

Some updates: Now login system became fully transparent, so you don't even need to push the Sign in button in the web trading client. All is done automatically. The only place to log in and log pit is the main icbit.se website.

Margin trading platform OrderBook.net (ICBIT): https://orderbook.net
Follow us in Twitter: https://twitter.com/orderbooknet
toffoo

Activity: 408
Merit: 261

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 04:32:59 AM

Hi,

For most of the time I've been looking at the BUZ2 BTCUSD contract here it has traded at a significant PREMIUM to the USD/BTC spot price.

Now, for about the last week or so, it's been trading at a significant DISCOUNT to spot prices.

Does anyone care to share any insight into this phenomenon?  Where SHOULD a BTC denominated BTCUSD futures contract trade, at a premium or discount?  Why did it switch?  What is "fair value"?

Thanks!

DeaDTerra
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2012, 02:56:10 PM

Hi,

For most of the time I've been looking at the BUZ2 BTCUSD contract here it has traded at a significant PREMIUM to the USD/BTC spot price.

Now, for about the last week or so, it's been trading at a significant DISCOUNT to spot prices.

Does anyone care to share any insight into this phenomenon?  Where SHOULD a BTC denominated BTCUSD futures contract trade, at a premium or discount?  Why did it switch?  What is "fair value"?

Thanks!

Hello!
I am no expert but I can try to answer your question Smiley
Last week it looked like the price was going to increase hence more people wanted to go long then short, hence it was more expensive to buy the contracts then it was to buy the BTC, as you can get a leverage by x10 which you can't by simply buying BTC.
Now the opposite has happened more people believe the price will go down hence the contracts are under priced.
The "fair" price should be as close to the real BTC price as possible, of course this is only true if someone wants to offer contracts at such prices.
It's kind of like arbitrage, if you can sell a long contract for 14$ and you can buy a BTC for 12$ then you can make a 2$ spread hence theirs a incentive for arbitrage trading.
I hope that answers your question
//DeaDTerra
guruvan

Activity: 532

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 08:45:22 PM

Orderbook is higher than the allowed trading range on BUZ2?

Haven't seen that yet.

labestiol

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 09:00:41 PM

Yup, and it looks like the 8PM tick down to 10$ passed through the bids

1BestioLC7YBVh8Q5LfH6RYURD6MrpP8y6
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 10:00:55 PM

That $10 is bogus.  I hope nobody got forced liquidation due to an insufficient margin maintenance because of that.  

Trading range of $9 to $11, what?

@Fireball, where are these numbers coming from?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Fireball (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 10:52:08 PM

That $10 is bogus.  I hope nobody got forced liquidation due to an insufficient margin maintenance because of that.  

I will do another clearing to get the price range back, and get you all the variation margin back. As for the $10 tick (1 contract trade), it's wrong price information which got recorded into the trading history data. Money flow is not affected. Fixing it atm...

guruvan

View Profile
October 18, 2012, 11:42:34 PM

Hmm. Well, FWIW, I ran a negative balance for a few days, and just covered today. I didn't think that was how it worked, but....there you have that.

Looks like someone is hammering it right @ clearing time? Really, in the last seconds or so. I really can't work with it - looks like a 50% loss for me for the week, some due to the larger drop, but it seems more due to the clearing time changes I can't catch fast enough. I've had more than one day this week that was showing an unrealized profit on the position moments before the 20:00 clearing, and then a massive loss right after. WTF.

Fireball (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 18, 2012, 11:52:06 PM

Hmm. Well, FWIW, I ran a negative balance for a few days, and just covered today. I didn't think that was how it worked, but....there you have that.

Looks like someone is hammering it right @ clearing time? Really, in the last seconds or so. I really can't work with it - looks like a 50% loss for me for the week, some due to the larger drop, but it seems more due to the clearing time changes I can't catch fast enough. I've had more than one day this week that was showing an unrealized profit on the position moments before the 20:00 clearing, and then a massive loss right after. WTF.

guruvan - if you hold big amount of contracts then even small changes in the last price introduce big changes to your unrealized profit/loss rate. It looks like some people practice to make a few deals to either try to drop or rise the price right before clearing. That does not affect the real amount of profit/loss they get, so there is little point in doing so, but they do it nevertheless Wink

Now as for the $10 problem: really sorry about that, there was a minor issue in the trading engine which saved wrong price in rare occasions. Now it's properly fixed. Extra clearing was done to get back the trading range to normal state and properly transfer the variation margin.

If you still think something is wrong - please send an email to the support address and we'll check that.

toffoo

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 12:35:31 AM

Fireball,

As you are doing some work on the site, allow me to pose this elementary but profound question:

Q: Let's say the current best bid/ask quote on a given futures contract is 11.10 - 11.20 and I enter a limit order to sell with a limit price of 11, at what price will my order be executed at?

A: On any normal limit order book market at any kind of securities exchange anywhere in the world, the answer is: 11.10
    However, on Cryptoxchange, MercadoBitcoin, the former BritCoin, and apparently ICBIT, the answer is: 11

Please do not lump yourself in with the small number of Bitcoin exchanges who do not understand how order handling is supposed to work on a limit order book and fix this.

Ichthyo

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:04:27 AM

Looks like someone is hammering it right @ clearing time? Really, in the last seconds or so.

Happens now since several days. Someone sells into a (comparatively) massive amount of offers at the lower end, just 5 seconds before 20:00. Maybe the intention is to squeeze other people out of their positions. Otherwise such a trading pattern doesn't make much sense IMHO. We're way below the stock rates, so to keep that situation, such a trader has to burn money every day -- and, unless the BTC rate drops significantly, those who can efford to keep a long position so comfortably below stock rates are bound to make profit, eventually Undecided
Ichthyo

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:14:26 AM

A: On any normal limit order book market at any kind of securities exchange anywhere in the world, the answer is: 11.10
    However, on Cryptoxchange, MercadoBitcoin, the former BritCoin, and apparently ICBIT, the answer is: 11

urgs, really? That would be strange indeed.

I recall having placed such an order and allways got matched to some offers at 11.10 (according to the log entries).
What could happen indeed in such a situation is that you buy away all the offers at 11.10 and maybe one additional offer at 11.0, which makes that the last deal -- this last deal is used to calculate the unrealised loss/profit at that moment
picobit

Activity: 547

Decor in numeris

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 06:27:11 AM

Hi,

Is there anyway to see more of the orderbook than five orders to each side?  Sometimes it looks like someone is (successfully!) trying to hide part of the book by placing five orders of one contract one cent apart.

Also, is there a way to get all trades in the last week or so?  Or just the last 24h?  Either in human-readable form or machine readable.  Heck, it would also be OK if the full depth was JSON, not that hard to read after all.

Fireball (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 19, 2012, 09:33:56 AM

Fireball,

As you are doing some work on the site, allow me to pose this elementary but profound question:

Q: Let's say the current best bid/ask quote on a given futures contract is 11.10 - 11.20 and I enter a limit order to sell with a limit price of 11, at what price will my order be executed at?

Please do not lump yourself in with the small number of Bitcoin exchanges who do not understand how order handling is supposed to work on a limit order book and fix this.

No, it's very simple. This was tested from the very beginning, however with some code changes introduced recently the wrong price was used in only one case. I fixed this yesterday and retested successfully.
A: Best buy is 11.10, best sell is 11.20. Limit order to sell a contract with a limit price of 11.00 will be executed at 11.10.
Similarly, a limit order to buy a contract with a limit price of 11.5 will be executed at 11.20.

You can test that yourself on the exchange now.

guruvan

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 01:27:21 PM

Looks like someone is hammering it right @ clearing time? Really, in the last seconds or so.

Happens now since several days. Someone sells into a (comparatively) massive amount of offers at the lower end, just 5 seconds before 20:00. Maybe the intention is to squeeze other people out of their positions. Otherwise such a trading pattern doesn't make much sense IMHO. We're way below the stock rates, so to keep that situation, such a trader has to burn money every day -- and, unless the BTC rate drops significantly, those who can efford to keep a long position so comfortably below stock rates are bound to make profit, eventually Undecided

Good, it's not me seeing things Wink

Yeah, that's about my take on it. Looks like they're trying to squeeze people out, and in my case, it would have worked. I would have thought I'd have been force liquidated this week. It's not clear which would have been better(liquidation, or having the position carried). Does look like a money burning proposition, but I do note the open interest has doubled in the same time that I've noticed this pattern.

It would be convenient (to say the least) to be able to see the whole orderbook for the day's trading range on the webtrade page. Only seeing the top 5 orders can make for some pretty blind trading.

Ichthyo

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:40:05 PM

Is there anyway to see more of the orderbook than five orders to each side?  Sometimes it looks like someone is (successfully!) trying to hide part of the book by placing five orders of one contract one cent apart.

It would be convenient (to say the least) to be able to see the whole orderbook for the day's trading range on the webtrade page. Only seeing the top 5 orders can make for some pretty blind trading.

agreed, this seems to be the most important shortcoming of the platform right now, especially since trading now seems to "take off".

@Fireball: are there any concrete plans  somehow "in the pipeline", regarding a full orderbook display?

BTW, this data can be retrieved through the API, but this requires some JavaScript programming, since its a streaming API, i.e. you  open an information channel and then the platform delivers messages; the client needs to sum them up to get a complete display of the current orderbook. https://icbit.se/api
toffoo

View Profile
October 19, 2012, 05:45:30 PM

No, it's very simple. This was tested from the very beginning, however with some code changes introduced recently the wrong price was used in only one case. I fixed this yesterday and retested successfully.
A: Best buy is 11.10, best sell is 11.20. Limit order to sell a contract with a limit price of 11.00 will be executed at 11.10.
Similarly, a limit order to buy a contract with a limit price of 11.5 will be executed at 11.20.

You can test that yourself on the exchange now.

Okay, that is very good to hear, but is this a very recent change?

I was hoping that I was misinterpreting this result, but the reason I asked this question is that such a situation just happened to me the other day (by accident).

Take a look at session id 146, trade id 11 (and 12).

I intended to leave a sell limit order (above the market) at 11.579 when the current market was at about 11.29.

However, I made a mistake and accidentally typed my sell order limit at 10.579.  (Big figure mistake...this has cost me so much money over the years on all kinds of exchanges.)

But instead of executing my order immediately at the current best bid price (about 11.29) it looks like my order was executed at (my very low, mistaken limit price) of 10.579.

Please take a look and let me know if I am understanding the logs wrong.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 »
  Print  

Jump to: