Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:22:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984412 times)
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2017, 11:10:20 AM
Last edit: January 19, 2017, 11:23:08 AM by deisik

but if gold continues to underperfom as it has been for over 30 years (even despite all QEs and market crashes), even these may eventually lose their interest.

Underperforming in what way? If I look at the charts starting from the year 2000 till where we are standing today, then it has gone up from ~$230 to ~$1200 right now. That's not really what I consider to be underperforming, unless you were talking about something else

Yeah, now I see that you see only what you want to see

Didn't I write it in the sentence you quoted that gold underperfomed for the last 30+ years? In fact, I already posted the same chart here a few times so I don't think I should post it again. Just look for the last ~20 pages of this thread and you will likely find it yourself. In short, dollar gold prices haven't been able to outperform just dollar inflation alone for the period of time longer than 30 years (not even speaking of earning inflation-adjusted profits). Obviously, you are cherry picking

On the other hand, gold has in fact been a valuable store of value for thousands of years, but was there enough competition during these times among different means of preserving value? I guess there was none, that's why today it is different from what it has been in the past

Bitcoin is a far better store of value tool than Gold if you ask me. One of the main benefits is that you can hide it without anyone noticing. With Gold you either need to buy a massive save, or walk your Gold into a bank vault where you rely on a third party to take care of everything. You can transfer it instantly to anywhere in the world which isn't possible with Gold that people hold in physical form. And there are more benefits of course. That's why I certainly hope that Bitcoin will turn out to be a better overall store of value tool (for me it definitely is), but it will be difficult to convince the massive amount of stubborn people that still think Bitcoin isn't real because they can't hold it in their hands

Let's be honest here, we are using Bitcoin to speculate mostly. And basically the same can be done with paper gold (and with less systemic risk overall at that). If you're not quite happy with the volatility of gold spot prices, try gold futures (gold options will kill you in an instant)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
noel2123

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 12:02:17 PM

In the short term it will be probably difficult, on the other hand if you believe in the future of these currencies and it still suggests that all major countries and even all countries term will evolve into purely electronic currencies - so if you believe in this movement, which is still a very logical, you may think that bitcoin is the first really conclusive test. If you have a timingof  five to ten years you can so completely invest on bitcoin.

I think this would be possible. It can be possible, if our local government participate on bitcoin, and make bitcoin legal to use in other kind of transactions. We can use bitcoin in buying of our daily needs. All we had to do is to have a bitcoin wallet. In terms of gold or bitcoin, gold has a high value compared to bitcoin.
lordquanta

Activity: 770
Merit: 268

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 01:43:37 PM

In the short term it will be probably difficult, on the other hand if you believe in the future of these currencies and it still suggests that all major countries and even all countries term will evolve into purely electronic currencies - so if you believe in this movement, which is still a very logical, you may think that bitcoin is the first really conclusive test. If you have a timingof  five to ten years you can so completely invest on bitcoin.

I think this would be possible. It can be possible, if our local government participate on bitcoin, and make bitcoin legal to use in other kind of transactions. We can use bitcoin in buying of our daily needs. All we had to do is to have a bitcoin wallet. In terms of gold or bitcoin, gold has a high value compared to bitcoin.

At this stage, Gold has best liquidity on this planet. Globally accepted all over the world. It has been in use for centuries/millennia already. Most importantly Governments have it under their control.
Nobody know how governments are going deal with digital currencies especially which are not under their control. In long run Bitcoin may gain wide acceptance and its value may increase in leaps and bounds.
At this stage we have two option where one has proven record and other is has possibility of bright future. Which leads to if investment is concerned then 70% gold and 30% bitcoin(or the amount one could risk)
bestluck

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 01:49:30 PM

So for me to convert my wealth to bitcoin or gold I prefer to use bitcoin because it is continues increasing value and we can say it now and so if the 10 years come it would be high value.
gold may have stopped for a rise of more than 2-fold, even it sounds impossible, but with the new bitcoin 7 years old of course you can get a big profit, see bitcoin will continue to grow

For those people that will make their decisions wiser, they will choose bitcoin. The market of gold is quite slow in progress and those people that can have it are just for those who can afford it. And with bitcoin even this is still young crypto many of us are treating it as a modern gold or virtual gold which has a lot of potentials and benefits.

For me, a small investment in bitcoin is OK and more profitable. But if you want to invest very high amount then probably Gold is much better as it is reliable and stable, So there is less chances of being at the losing side in case of gold.
I think it is useless to invest in gold if you are already investing in bitcoin as in bitcoin if you are getting a high profit then what will convince you to invest in another asset which is much slower in providing you the profit. I am investing a good amount of my money in bitcoin and I am very much satisfied with bitcoin investment and getting a good profit so I do not need to go to gold investment.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
January 19, 2017, 01:52:42 PM

At this stage, Gold has best liquidity on this planet. Globally accepted all over the world. It has been in use for centuries/millennia already. Most importantly Governments have it under their control

That's not the type of control that you may be looking for

Governments (strictly speaking, the US government alone) can easily manipulate the price of gold (read keep it as low as they see fit), and it seems to be what they have been doing all these years. The price of physical gold is heavily affected by paper gold, i.e. by the markets which trade mostly cash-settled gold futures and options, i.e. contracts that don't get settled by the delivery of physical gold. Without these markets, the price would likely be in the range of many thousands of dollars per ounce. In other words, gold doesn't need any government control to have genuine value. Most likely it would fare better with no government sticking around

dearbesz1219

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 02:26:11 PM

I' do both, but take bitcoin over gold simply because I'm a pyschic and I see that in 10 years, Bitcoin would be worth 100million each.

Really you a psychic, and you predict what will happen 10 years from now. 100M each bitcoin after one decade, how is that possible? may I know what is your basis? that amount is not a joke actually. Perhaps you are hyping the bitcoin enthusiast in this thread, besides nothing to loose to believe in. Anyway, I would rather go in Bitcoin.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 04:27:42 PM

Yeah, now I see that you see only what you want to see

Didn't I write it in the sentence you quoted that gold underperfomed for the last 30+ years? In fact, I already posted the same chart here a few times so I don't think I should post it again. Just look for the last ~20 pages of this thread and you will likely find it yourself. In short, dollar gold prices haven't been able to outperform just dollar inflation alone for the period of time longer than 30 years (not even speaking of earning inflation-adjusted profits). Obviously, you are cherry picking

I guess I misunderstood you post, I get the point you were referring to now. And yes, I indeed see what I want to see. For me the most important aspect is the moment I enter and leave the market. That's why I came up with the example of how Gold has increased dramatically in value till where we stand today. That's the only thing that counts for me, but I of course should have digged a bit further, even when it's not in my own interest. It doesn't hurt to have a wider view.
jackshephard

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:45:55 PM

For seriously large investments that would like to maintain value at least and not aiming for high profit I would say Gold, having already maintained value for as long as humans knew about it, Bitcoin is an interesting investment with high profit and high risk..
markyminer

Activity: 532

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 09:53:18 PM

So for me to convert my wealth to bitcoin or gold I prefer to use bitcoin because it is continues increasing value and we can say it now and so if the 10 years come it would be high value.
gold may have stopped for a rise of more than 2-fold, even it sounds impossible, but with the new bitcoin 7 years old of course you can get a big profit, see bitcoin will continue to grow

For those people that will make their decisions wiser, they will choose bitcoin. The market of gold is quite slow in progress and those people that can have it are just for those who can afford it. And with bitcoin even this is still young crypto many of us are treating it as a modern gold or virtual gold which has a lot of potentials and benefits.

For me, a small investment in bitcoin is OK and more profitable. But if you want to invest very high amount then probably Gold is much better as it is reliable and stable, So there is less chances of being at the losing side in case of gold.
I think it is useless to invest in gold if you are already investing in bitcoin as in bitcoin if you are getting a high profit then what will convince you to invest in another asset which is much slower in providing you the profit. I am investing a good amount of my money in bitcoin and I am very much satisfied with bitcoin investment and getting a good profit so I do not need to go to gold investment.
i think we cannot ignore the importance of gold. those people who have a lot of money they save their money by converting it into gold. actually the price of bitcoin is very stable therefore gold is the best option with them to save their money, while bitcoin is giving your opportunity to use make increase the amount of your money as bitcoin is the best option for investment in present time.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
.JINBI..

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
...T H E   G O L D E N   I C O...
.────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────.
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 10:17:28 PM

For seriously large investments that would like to maintain value at least and not aiming for high profit I would say Gold, having already maintained value for as long as humans knew about it, Bitcoin is an interesting investment with high profit and high risk..
bitcoin for now still has a lot of doubt for common people .

they say it is not recommended to invest in bitcoin as it has very high risk , when gold have been popular for long time ago. for that reason yes if you don't want to take a higher level of risk then just go for gold, but if you are a true investor , go for bitcoin.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
manyuta

Activity: 152

View Profile
January 19, 2017, 10:26:14 PM

they say it is not recommended to invest in bitcoin as it has very high risk , when gold have been popular for long time ago. for that reason yes if you don't want to take a higher level of risk then just go for gold, but if you are a true investor , go for bitcoin.
Gold is a precious metal and its value will be eternal. I believe in the future of bitcoin and its popularity, only I can not entrust their life savings cryptocurrency. But gold is another matter.
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:04:59 AM

Gold is a precious metal and its value will be eternal. I believe in the future of bitcoin and its popularity, only I can not entrust their life savings cryptocurrency. But gold is another matter.
There are no eternal truths about the value of gold , when the situation changes like there is a clean water crisis, gold gonna be worthless. if you have visited a middle east countries you will know how the condition changes value.

there a good water have more value than fuel, so does in bitcoin, when the situation changes , bitcoin are really needed the value will be worthy.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Liad.Services

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:07:42 AM

There are no eternal truths about the value of gold , when the situation changes like there is a clean water crisis, gold gonna be worthless. if you have visited a middle east countries you will know how the condition changes value.

there a good water have more value than fuel, so does in bitcoin, when the situation changes , bitcoin are really needed the value will be worthy.
Yes, but considering that gold is now has a much bigger market cap than bitcoin, I don't see how bitcoin is going to overcome gold at the near future.
Anyway it would be really interesting to see
hawkins

Activity: 1204

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 07:18:20 AM

Yes, but considering that gold is now has a much bigger market cap than bitcoin, I don't see how bitcoin is going to overcome gold at the near future.

Well, you're right. may, in fact gold is still better than bitcoin. probably because gold has been reliable since the first. in fact, gold has always had a very high price, and the risk is very small when storing. there is always a great advantage if holding gold. but, at the moment I still choose bitcoin for my use. in my opinion, bitcoin is more easily developed than gold.
lOvE mE forEvEr

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 01:38:00 PM

Well, you're right. may, in fact gold is still better than bitcoin. probably because gold has been reliable since the first. in fact, gold has always had a very high price, and the risk is very small when storing. there is always a great advantage if holding gold. but, at the moment I still choose bitcoin for my use. in my opinion, bitcoin is more easily developed than gold.
Yes, it looks like we have to stop this debate, however, gold is better than bitcoin, bitcoin make instantaneous and short-term investments, gold is a top priority and the best investment now and forever.
wxa7115

Activity: 2716
Merit: 704

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 05:26:04 PM

but if gold continues to underperfom as it has been for over 30 years (even despite all QEs and market crashes), even these may eventually lose their interest.

Underperforming in what way? If I look at the charts starting from the year 2000 till where we are standing today, then it has gone up from ~$230 to ~$1200 right now. That's not really what I consider to be underperforming, unless you were talking about something else.

On the other hand, gold has in fact been a valuable store of value for thousands of years, but was there enough competition during these times among different means of preserving value? I guess there was none, that's why today it is different from what it has been in the past

Bitcoin is a far better store of value tool than Gold if you ask me. One of the main benefits is that you can hide it without anyone noticing. With Gold you either need to buy a massive save, or walk your Gold into a bank vault where you rely on a third party to take care of everything. You can transfer it instantly to anywhere in the world which isn't possible with Gold that people hold in physical form. And there are more benefits of course. That's why I certainly hope that Bitcoin will turn out to be a better overall store of value tool (for me it definitely is), but it will be difficult to convince the massive amount of stubborn people that still think Bitcoin isn't real because they can't hold it in their hands.
Just a note, letting someone else to store gold is a bad idea if holding big quantities of gold is made illegal again, and I think at some point in the future that is going to happen once again, then leaving gold in the hands of the banks is the same as leaving it in the hands of the government already since they could do illegal raids and confiscate the contents of your vault in the bank, besides there could be a bank holiday and the banks could close for days or weeks and you will not have access to your gold.

I know you are not recommending this in any way, this is just a comment.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
izanagi narukami
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1028

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 05:52:11 PM

At the moment, I choose bitcoin over gold since bitcoin has higher value recently but still consider as risky investment
Unfortunately , many people still not aware of bitcoin since my goverment still forbid bitcoin usage so I hope by seeing bitcoin value recent;y , they can accept bitcoin on the future

Smiley
Gilf

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 06:04:28 PM

At the moment, I choose bitcoin over gold since bitcoin has higher value recently but still consider as risky investment
Unfortunately , many people still not aware of bitcoin since my goverment still forbid bitcoin usage so I hope by seeing bitcoin value recent;y , they can accept bitcoin on the future
Probably the most all attitude and choice and preference depends on how much income you can invest or bitcoin. If the little things that bitcoin will not be affected, and if many, it is only in gold reserves.
pyata4ok

Activity: 195

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 06:34:06 PM

When there is no trust to any currency, gold is the only right decision for investment. Only in some cases, users choose bitcoin. But this is only one.
tripplewarz

Activity: 164

View Profile
January 20, 2017, 06:54:11 PM

Underperforming in what way? If I look at the charts starting from the year 2000 till where we are standing today, then it has gone up from ~$230 to ~$1200 right now. That's not really what I consider to be underperforming, unless you were talking about something else.

Bitcoin is a far better store of value tool than Gold if you ask me. One of the main benefits is that you can hide it without anyone noticing. With Gold you either need to buy a massive save, or walk your Gold into a bank vault where you rely on a third party to take care of everything. You can transfer it instantly to anywhere in the world which isn't possible with Gold that people hold in physical form. And there are more benefits of course. That's why I certainly hope that Bitcoin will turn out to be a better overall store of value tool (for me it definitely is), but it will be difficult to convince the massive amount of stubborn people that still think Bitcoin isn't real because they can't hold it in their hands.
Just a note, letting someone else to store gold is a bad idea if holding big quantities of gold is made illegal again, and I think at some point in the future that is going to happen once again, then leaving gold in the hands of the banks is the same as leaving it in the hands of the government already since they could do illegal raids and confiscate the contents of your vault in the bank, besides there could be a bank holiday and the banks could close for days or weeks and you will not have access to your gold.

I know you are not recommending this in any way, this is just a comment.
In most cases, users do not share the views of the real and the fact that they would like to watch or be in reality. But gold still has more accessible to people than other categories of property for investment. Banks can limit the amount of the market, but do not. It is their profit.
Pages: « 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 [327] 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: