Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:34:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... 579 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or gold?  (Read 984414 times)
Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 08:30:29 AM

Montlhy Gold/Bitcoin Performance Comparison

Gold -2.42% (last 30 days according to goldprice.org)
BTC +11.75% (last 30 days according to bitcoinwisdom.com)

Isn't it nice?

If you are investing in bitcoin for sure it is nice. But for my taste bitcoin is too risky. I would not pick it as long term investment instrument, but gold I would. Bitcoin is good for me to make some extra money to my salary. Add to that it's growing pretty fast, but I do not save some big amount of bitcoins due to the fear that my online wallet can be hacked or bitcoin will be destroyed with something.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mario274

Activity: 158
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 11:24:33 AM

Isn't it nice?

If you are investing in bitcoin for sure it is nice. But for my taste bitcoin is too risky. I would not pick it as long term investment instrument, but gold I would. Bitcoin is good for me to make some extra money to my salary. Add to that it's growing pretty fast, but I do not save some big amount of bitcoins due to the fear that my online wallet can be hacked or bitcoin will be destroyed with something.

Yes, one of the main benefits Bitcoin - its rapid growth. But I takde as you are worried about something, that my purse is not hacked. But investing in gold and I did not think. It's too expensive
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 1213

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 11:44:47 AM

Isn't it nice?

Well mentioned about the growth percentage of gold in contrast to bitcoin price. With gold the capital and acceptance is very large compared to bitcoin. This is due to its short term growth which happened after long time with gold and other metal based investment. Right now who prefer short term earning bitcoin is the best.
Positid

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

BULL RUN until 2030

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 11:53:16 AM

Isn't it nice?

Yes, one of the main benefits Bitcoin - its rapid growth. But I takde as you are worried about something, that my purse is not hacked. But investing in gold and I did not think. It's too expensive
It can be called as benefit on your part if you were able to invest on it get profits from the price increase. The benefits is really good but you also have to think of the risk of losing as there's no guarantee we will only make money here, bitcoin is risky but worth it.

.Duelbits.
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀
 ▀▄    ▄▀▀
Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█
█  █    █    █  █  █ █
Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █
█     ▀▄▀     █   ▀▀  █
Blackjack
▄▄▀█████▀▄▄
▄▀▀   █████ ▄▄▀▀▄
███▄  ▄█████▄▀▀▄███
██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
█ ▀▀██▀ ▀▄   ▄▀ ▀██▀▀ █
█    █    ███    █    █
█ ▄▄██▄ ▄▀   ▀▄ ▄██▄▄ █
██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
Roulette
█▀▀▀▄             ▄▀▀▀█
█ ▀▄ ▀▄         ▄▀ ▄▀ █
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄     ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀
▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▄
█ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀  ▄▀ █
▄▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄
Dice Duels
berserkinterbuy

Activity: 195

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 04:44:32 PM

Isn't it nice?

It can be called as benefit on your part if you were able to invest on it get profits from the price increase. The benefits is really good but you also have to think of the risk of losing as there's no guarantee we will only make money here, bitcoin is risky but worth it.
I would still have chosen gold and would invest in it all the money even without the slightest fear. The fact that it is not necessary to look at these percentages and price hikes, simply gold has more stability than the bitcoin.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2016, 04:53:56 PM

Isn't it nice?
Dude you are only looking at the 30 days performance, for sure if you will try to consider the performance for maybe at least 5 years you can tell that gold is way better as an investment if you look for consistent profit. For 30 days gold is -2.42% but it can happen to bitcoin even in one day.

Try to see the big picture I believe.

Cherry-picking is not good on either side

You are talking about a 5 year period? No problem with that, but what about a longer term, say, 40 years? Indeed, we can't possibly compare gold with Bitcoin on this scale for the reasons which should be obvious to anyone with a functioning brain. But we can always compare gold with... gold itself. And what would we see?  We would see that gold is not even close to its early 1980s all time highs (adjusted for dollar inflation):

Should I say that gold has been heavily underperfoming for the last 30 plus years?

Mastsetad

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 04:58:00 PM

Isn't it nice?

Ofcourse it is nice, that is the reason why people invest in bitcoins more than gold these days because they know the price movement of bitcoin is far better than the golds though gold seems more secure in long run but people believe in quick profit these days.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2016, 05:10:28 PM

Isn't it nice?

Ofcourse it is nice, that is the reason why people invest in bitcoins more than gold these days because they know the price movement of bitcoin is far better than the golds though gold seems more secure in long run but people believe in quick profit these days.

I think the major reason why people don't invest in gold en masse has nothing to do with its low volatility. It seems that investing in gold requires much more effort overall than investing in Bitcoin. For example, with Bitcoin you pay the same price per 1 BTC irrespective of the amount that you are going to buy, i.e. 100 bitcoins would cost you exactly 100 times the price of 1 Bitcoin. If you want to buy physical gold and hold it for years (buying paper gold like gold futures and options makes no sense in that case), you will have to buy heaps of gold at once if you want to get close to its spot market price...

And I haven't yet started talking about all the irritating inconveniences of the actual process of purchasing gold as well as storing it thereafter

d-trixx

Activity: 185

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 06:18:03 PM

Isn't it nice?
Dude you are only looking at the 30 days performance, for sure if you will try to consider the performance for maybe at least 5 years you can tell that gold is way better as an investment if you look for consistent profit. For 30 days gold is -2.42% but it can happen to bitcoin even in one day.

You are talking about a 5 year period? No problem with that, but what about a longer term, say, 40 years? Indeed, we can't possibly compare gold with Bitcoin on this scale for the reasons which should be obvious to anyone with a functioning brain. But we can always compare gold with... gold itself. And what would we see?  We would see that gold is not even close to its early 1980s all time highs (adjusted for dollar inflation):

Should I say that gold has been heavily underperfoming for the last 30 plus years?
Nevertheless, earning gold only large financial institutions and the state. Of course this is no longer a monopoly, and such investments available to ordinary people. Gold is better than other currencies.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 07:12:47 PM

Isn't it nice?

I think the major reason why people don't invest in gold en masse has nothing to do with its low volatility. It seems that investing in gold requires much more effort overall than investing in Bitcoin. For example, with Bitcoin you pay the same price per 1 BTC irrespective of the amount that you are going to buy, i.e. 100 bitcoins would cost you exactly 100 times the price of 1 Bitcoin. If you want to buy physical gold and hold it for years (buying paper gold like gold futures and options makes no sense in that case), you will have to buy heaps of gold at once if you want to get close to its spot market price...

And I haven't yet started talking about all the irritating inconveniences of the actual process of purchasing gold as well as storing it thereafter

Thats not exactly true, I buy sovereigns (around 1/4oz) and 1/2 sovereigns (around 1/10 oz) at 2% over spot.

http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/

Not sure where you live but in the UK I can just walk in to any bullion dealer and buy whatever I want or order it online and have it delivered next morning.  No different to ordering or buying any other goods.

Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 07:20:28 PM

Isn't it nice?

[snip]

Really interesting thanks! I was actually thinking of the same.
It's nice to see I've sparked a thought provoking discussion. I invest in both gold and BTC so I obviously need to keep track of my investments. Even if lately I'm investing more in bitcoin than gold for so many different reasons.
deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2016, 07:40:39 PM

Thats not exactly true, I buy sovereigns (around 1/4oz) and 1/2 sovereigns (around 1/10 oz) at 2% over spot.

It was hard to believe that gold coins would be sold with only a 2% premium to the spot price. I could somehow believe if you had been buying gold bars (unlikely, to be honest), but certainly not coins, which typically have hefty premiums. So I decided to check the info by the link you posted, and voila (emphasis added):

Most of the coins we sell have been in circulation, and must therefore be considered bullion grade. This is not something to worry about, we have team of experts that check each coin that passes our hands for its grade, carat and purity, and we manually check coins to ensure they reach our standards, and ensure there is no damage beyond expected wear of the coins/bars

It seems that you are buying used coins, so no surprise that their price is close to spot price

Not sure where you live but in the UK I can just walk in to any bullion dealer and buy whatever I want or order it online and have it delivered next morning.  No different to ordering or buying any other goods

I understand that you like gold (just like I do), but let's cut the crap and face the facts. The easiness with which you can buy and sell bitcoins beats the process of buying and selling gold hands down. To buy (and sell) gold you need a gold dealer sticking nearby, while with Bitcoin, all you need is Internet access

diodio5

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 08:54:20 PM

I believe the gold, and I believe in Bitcoin but for now there is only one that I would hope that Bitcoin because Bitcoin is growing very rapidly, in contrast to the gold price has gone down and over the last year.
nope I think gold is also sometimes has a price increase, the price of gold is not likely to go down, but more stable. and it does not make the user be interested, I chose bitcoin because there is a pleasure, we could make a profit in the near future
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 09:26:22 PM

I believe the gold, and I believe in Bitcoin but for now there is only one that I would hope that Bitcoin because Bitcoin is growing very rapidly, in contrast to the gold price has gone down and over the last year.
nope I think gold is also sometimes has a price increase, the price of gold is not likely to go down, but more stable. and it does not make the user be interested, I chose bitcoin because there is a pleasure, we could make a profit in the near future

People investing in Gold do it for the long term where the store of value aspect is the main point of importance. They are looking for stability rather than massive gains. With Bitcoin the opposite is the case. The majority of the people invest in Bitcoin because it's a perfect short term investment due to all the heavy fluctuations that we experience several times a year.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 09:32:48 PM
Last edit: November 16, 2016, 09:45:13 PM by markj113

It was hard to believe that gold coins would be sold with only a 2% premium to the spot price. I could somehow believe if you had been buying gold bars (unlikely, to be honest), but certainly not coins, which typically have hefty premiums. So I decided to check the info by the link you posted, and voila (emphasis added):

Most of the coins we sell have been in circulation, and must therefore be considered bullion grade. This is not something to worry about, we have team of experts that check each coin that passes our hands for its grade, carat and purity, and we manually check coins to ensure they reach our standards, and ensure there is no damage beyond expected wear of the coins/bars

It seems that you are buying used coins, so no surprise that their price is close to spot price.

Well considering some of the sovereigns I own are 100+ years old then they are obviously circulated  Grin

And you know what, a gold sovereign 100+ years old is worth just the same as a mint fresh 2016 sovereign (maybe even a little more depending on year)

If you are paying a premium for shiny gold bars then you are wasting money.  I would advise buying gold as close to spot as possible whether circulated or not.  I also speak from experience as I recently sold my 1st stack worth about £55k.

Last pic I took before selling up (there was a few more coins added after taking the pic)

My new stack consists entirely of sovereigns which are internationally recognised, highly liquid, CGT & VAT free, small fractional gold content.

Bullion is bullion so why pay more?
one-day0

Activity: 158

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 09:35:24 PM

Isn't it nice?

Not sure where you live but in the UK I can just walk in to any bullion dealer and buy whatever I want or order it online and have it delivered next morning.  No different to ordering or buying any other goods.

Gold has always and everywhere the consumer. Each pawn will take it, even if there are no documents. But if there is, it is possible to exchange or sell, and buy whatever you want for the gold. But for bitcoin necessary conditions and infrastructure.
betohell

Activity: 476

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 10:02:21 PM

Isn't it nice?
I think to make a profit on investing in gold, you have to be patient because this is not a short term investment. of course maybe you'll lose if you use short-term investments in gold

deisik
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2016, 10:16:10 PM

My new stack consists entirely of sovereigns which are internationally recognised, highly liquid, CGT & VAT free, small fractional gold content.

Bullion is bullion so why pay more?

The total majority of people are here for the sole purpose of getting quick profits without ever thinking twice. I'm not going to raise debates whether they make profits or not en masse, but without Bitcoin, I suspect, most of them wouldn't even think about investing in gold, let alone actually investing in it. Bitcoin drew a lot of motley people into speculation for one major reason, which I already mentioned...

That is, the ease of use that Bitcoin provides

richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 11:26:28 PM

Isn't it nice?
I think to make a profit on investing in gold, you have to be patient because this is not a short term investment. of course maybe you'll lose if you use short-term investments in gold

As with everything, timing is the most important aspect. People usually have the impression that the longer you hold Gold, the higher your profits will be. That's not always the case. If you for example buy yourself a certain amount of Gold today, and hold it for 6 months, you can get like 15-20% in profits. But if you hold them for like 12 months, the profits that you could have had at month six, may vanish in the other six months. It's timing. I am now talking about Gold since this thread is related to it, but it can be anything.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 11:51:20 PM

Isn't it nice?

As with everything, timing is the most important aspect. People usually have the impression that the longer you hold Gold, the higher your profits will be. That's not always the case. If you for example buy yourself a certain amount of Gold today, and hold it for 6 months, you can get like 15-20% in profits. But if you hold them for like 12 months, the profits that you could have had at month six, may vanish in the other six months. It's timing. I am now talking about Gold since this thread is related to it, but it can be anything.
I've probably said this close to a hundred times by now; the profits you receive from gold are not an addition on to your wealth. Gold just keeps pace with inflation and is a resource that a majority of people would like to have, that has a lot of value. Gold isn't really supposed to be a growth investment, and more like a value investment. Security of wealth.
Pages: « 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... 579 »
  Print  

Jump to: