Bitcoin Forum
May 16, 2024, 11:39:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 [374] 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Buy the DIP, and HODL!  (Read 80688 times)
Troytech

Activity: 154
Merit: 123

View Profile
April 03, 2024, 08:38:28 PM
Last edit: April 03, 2024, 09:11:14 PM by Troytech
Merited by JayJuanGee (1)

In the end, we likely can realize that not enough people know or understand bitcoin, otherwise more people would own bitcoin.. so yeah.,. too bad that we are still in the ballpark of 1%-ish adoption.. .so people don't even realize that it is to their best interest to learn about bitcoin and get some.. and so any of us who are already in such process, we are likely 10-15 years ahead of the masses coming into bitcoin - even though there are surely some rich people who are coming into bitcoin and hoarding all the coins, but you cannot stop people from coming in and front loading their investment into BTC, just like you cannot force normies to learn about bitcoin and to get the fuck started out of their own best interest (that they don't realize),
You are really right! Those of us who keep an eye on the threads try to understand and explain, but at the end of the day, I feel like I don't understand anything. Although I was a student of economics. In fact, whether we are good students or bad students, the field of work is a different world to me here your exposure to elements that destroy my freedom does not allow the development of many talents. Not only this happens to me but to many people around me especially those who work under others. I may be trying to solidify the association of BTC with its economic value in the new state but space is limited. I also know it can grow in size over time but it will require burning a lot of wood.

~
~
- bitcon: bitcoin is a term used to describe any cryptocurrency other than altcoin. It stands for "alternative coin." Bitcoin is  a wide range of cryptocurrencies, which has  its own unique features, purposes, and technologies. Which happened to be the Most popular coin right away.....

Bitcoin" is a general term for any cryptocurrency other than any other coins "Shitcoin" is a more colloquial and derogatory term used to express skepticism or criticism towards certain cryptocurrencies. It's essential to conduct thorough research and exercise caution when considering investments in any cryptocurrency......

I think your more in need of knowledge than the people that you are trying to teach, I don't know if you are trying to mislead other users here with your definition of what bitcoin is, cryptocurrency is a general term, but bitcoin only refers to bitcoin and there is only one bitcoin, so I think you are trying to put other shitcoins in the same category as bitcoin, don't go around investing in other coins just because of hype from socs media thinking that it is bitcoin cause clearly from your definition you seem to be confused about what bitcoin really is, bitcoin is the real deal and if you have done any reservations you would see for yourself what we are talking about, firstly it has a limited supply and unlike other shitcoins that have a unlimited supply that can be created over and over without any limit, bitcoin is the best solution to inflation and also beats fait currency due to this factor too, and this point is just one of many other things you would find out from doing a personal research for yourself. I would have told you to start investing in bitcoin but what good would that do you when you don't even have the basic knowledge or have any conviction about bitcoin, anyway as long as you would take correction there is still hope that you would learn the right information.
I_Anime

Activity: 392
Merit: 164

View Profile
April 03, 2024, 08:56:30 PM

I don't have much bitcoin at the moment, I only started buying around the middle of last year. Since the price was above $50k I decided to stop buying and now the price is even higher. I'm still unsure whether to continue purchasing or not, I'm waiting for the price to return to $50k or at least below $60k. Although I am pretty sure bitcoin will reach $100k but buying bitcoin for $66k is still too expensive for me. I'm still waiting for the price to go down and will buy again.

Even so, I am also afraid that the price will get more expensive and miss this moment, but I am still confused and don't really understand bitcoin price analysis. I'm still waiting for the price development and keeping my money in cash, once I'm sure maybe I'll start buying bitcoin again. I will monitor bitcoin price movements this month before deciding to buy
most of us here actually felt that way when we where new to this space , so at first I will say welcome to the forum and welcome to Buy the DIP, and HODL. This thread is mainly for Bitcoin long-term holding, and ways to accomplish it , like strategy on how to accumulate Bitcoin and related stuff. So if you're interested in holding for long you're in the right place. Well there's no need for you to show any fear or panic when comes to investing in Bitcoin ( though there are risk but can be easily minimise) expecially as a long-term holder. The only people that may be scared to invest or accumulate more are those who has involved themselves with too much shitcoins. So we talking of Bitcoin here so, I will advice you continue your accumulation Of Bitcoin using DCAing to buy at any price interval and not always waiting for the dip before accumulating. Of you're really interested in buying the (which most people are), you can choose to set aside a reserve funds for that , to purchase any dip that may occurs. So that you won't endup missing out due to waiting for the dip.

teamsherry

Activity: 182
Merit: 50

Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 03, 2024, 09:39:46 PM

Buying bitcoins little by little and withdrawing them to a personal wallet is the most effective way. I've been doing it for a few months and now I think I'm pretty successful even though I only have a few bitcoins at the moment. But I hesitate to buy again when the price of bitcoin becomes too expensive. Do you have an opinion? Unfortunately I just found out about this forum, if I knew about it a long time ago maybe I would have more bitcoins. Even though I've known about bitcoin for a long time, I was hesitant to start buying bitcoin for a long time before finally deciding to start buying it on binance

You know you didn't well specify if you are using the DCA method to buy bitcoin, cause if you are then buying now should not be much of a problem to you, using the DCA method helps reduces the impact of price volatility on our portfolio so even if the price were to fall now or rise now it wouldn't matter as long as you keep on buying.

IMO if you are a long term holder and want to hold bitcoin for up to 10 years or 4 years maximum then you should still be in a very early stage of accumulation and your major concern now should be buyingore bitcoin, you mentioned something about you feeling successful and you also stated in your reply to @Marvelockg that you have not accumulated much bitcoin, I not going to tell you what your target should be but I don't think you have accumulated enough bitcoin to be feeling comfortable or maybe the idea of you feeling successful is what is actually holding you back, maybe you are feeling over allocated already to bitcoin even with having such little amount it, my advice don't stop now, just continue buying and you shouldn't be feeling overly allocated if you are investing money you won't miss, every time is a good time to buy bitcoin and so is now.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
JayJuanGee
Legendary

Activity: 3724
Merit: 10262

Self-Custody is a right. Say no to"Non-custodial"

View Profile
April 03, 2024, 10:49:12 PM

There are shitcoiners with legitimate confusion, and they might think that they already know about bitcoin or they know enough about bitcoin.. so frequently a person will not know what they don't know, so even smart people can get sucked into various shitcoin talking points without actually realizing that they have little to no clue in regards to what bitcoin is.

Another thing is that there likely are a lot of people who have heard of the word bitcoin, and they might think that they have some kind of a decent idea what it is, yet merely hearing the word and sometimes hearing some mainstream rendition of what it is, is not enough to actually realize actually what bitcoin is.. and so actually understanding ideas of sound money might be a bit more foreign to people than we presume such a topic as "common sense" when there are a lot of ways that people can get sucked into believing they know more than they do, and it may well be a good idea for some of them to actually spend a bit of time really studying bitcoin specifically.. whether it takes 10, 50, 100, 500 or 1,000 hours of study may well vary from person to person and the kind of source materials they are studying.

Some folks have a lot of difficulties distinguishing between good information and bad information, and they might actually believe the sources of their bad information and believe that their bad information is good information, and so when they actually come across some accurate and informative information about bitcoin, they might skeptically conclude that the good information could not be true since it conflicts with what they believe to be credible sources.

I was listening to a program earlier today about how the greedy companies are gouging consumers by raising their food prices, and so it can sometimes be difficult to realize that money printer go bbbbbrrrrrrr is way more blame worthy than what normies want to give governments more power to control prices - which surely does not seem to be a good solution, and I am not even anti-government, yet we likely should realize that it becomes problematic to have too many controls in place, even though maybe it becomes difficult to get rid of the controls .. so bitcoin and bitcoiners are going to sometimes end up being targeted as part of the problem rather than part of the solution... which still gets us back to either having information available but also having abilities to sort through good information versus not so good information... and we are all not going to agree.. but at the same time do we have rights and/or abilities to disagree or are we told what we are supposed to think and are we accepting of being told what to think.. and do we realize when we are being told what to think versus engaging in our own abilities to critically think about what might really be in our own best interests.
Many a times we have wrong idea about something without knowing the correct and complete information about that thing and fall into confused situation. Many of us have not been able to collect and master the correct information about Bitcoin yet, but we are carrying various misconceptions about Bitcoin in our minds.

There are many people who have a tendency to spread false and misleading information about a subject without knowing the correct and complete information about it. I think that acquiring knowledge or collecting information about a subject should be reserved only for the experienced and knowledgeable person of the society. Because, they never want to be misled by wrong information. Do you think so?

My knowledge of Bitcoin is very poor. From where and how can I get the right knowledge?

Well, why don't you tell us more about yourself.. and have you already started to buy bitcoin. 

There are all kinds of bitcoin-specific and bitcoin-related threads on this forum, and there are all kinds of information sources available about bitcoin, so maybe you have to let us know what kinds of efforts you are making to sort through information sources that are already available in terms of your own attempts to figure out which information might be better or which information might be worse, and why do you think so.

.....and other thigns like having an emergency fund which at times would take 3 months or 6months of income to build and having reserves and floats to carry around that would help us have a financial cushioin and maximise our investment in bitcoin.
I understand what you are saying, Dorkylickjj .. but it is still unclear..

Technically, you are correct.

An emergency fund it 3-6 months worth of income - yet more accurately, an emergency fund would be 3-6 months of expenses, and sure if you build up an amount of an emergency fund that is actually 3 months of your income, then it likely should end up going a little bit longer than 3 months - depending upon if you might be able to reduce your expenses during any actual emergency that would end up taking place... and if anyone ends up having an actual emergency, he likely is going to dread if he were to ONLY have 3 months and wished that he were to have more, yet we know that it likely tends to take quite a bit of resources to build up an emergency fund, even one as small as 3 months.. yet it is something that really provides a lot of security and ability to take greater risks and to be more aggressive in terms of investing into something like bitcoin.. ..

Another thing is that many of us likely imagine that if we are brand new to investing and we are living in a way similar to many people, we might start out with only 2-4 weeks worth of float, reserves and/or emergency funds, and so we might have frequently considered that 2-4 weeks is quite a bit of "extra cash" just sitting around and just there  for various shortages in cashflow, and we might be able to get by for years and years and years with such pracices of sparsely maintaining savings and/or any emergency fund.

So if we are wanting to build up our current emergency fund, float, reserves to be at least 3 months and likely to have a bit more than 3 months in there, then it well could take us 6-18 months to build it up to such higher levels.. .. just depending on how much discretionary income that we have and if we might simultaneously be wanting to get started investing into bitcoin and building our emergency fund, reserves and float at the same time that we are making our earliest investments into bitcoin and sat stacking.
I think I'm getting closer to having a better understanding of this, the larger your emergency fund is the more financial cushioin you have for investing into bitcoin and let's say that I have been building up an emergency fund for up three months from my income like about 5% going into that and I'm investing a total of 15% weekly into bitcoin, then my emergency funds would actually need a higher time to mature to be a good financial cushioin for me in my investing or do you feel its a good idea to make them equal,

Ultimately you have to figure out your own balances that relate to the various resources that you might have available to you, how steady is any income and/or expenses that you have and how likely are you going to end up needing the extra funds, because the emergency fund, once you establish it, you should not be dipping into it.  It would just be there and always available.  Of course, since you do not want to our need to dip into your emergency fund, then many of the times if you might have shortages of cash, you would be working with your reserves and your float.. so yeah you gotta figure out how much of those various categories to keep available, and surely the larger your BTC stash gets, then that also might affect the extent that you might feel that you need to be diversified in other assets... whether that be in cash or otherwise.. .. sometimes we could think about various other forms of investments (besides bitcoin) as ways of holding cash in different kinds of ways and to be able to earn interest or yield or dividends or that it might also appreciate but be something other than bitcoin, even though bitcoin and cash will tend to be way more liquid while other forms of assets may well be less liquid, but holding value in various ways will give you options to spend from the less valuable assets prior to touching your bitcoin in the event that you might conclude that bitcoin might be the best of your investments that you don't want to touch or being playing around with until it reaches a certain size in which you would thereby start to authorize yourself  to start to dip into it. within systems and under circumstances that you have already established for yourself, once you get to such an overaccumulation level  that could take 4-10 years or longer just to build your BTC holdings to such levels.

allocating equal amount to both building up emergency funds and investing in bitcoin,

When you are in your earliest stages of building your emergency fund, there likely would be some benefits in building them together and then at least you would be making progress in getting started in terms of investing into bitcoin.   Many times emergency funds are form of cash that are very liquid but they may well not be earning any interest or gaining value, so there could be some sense that those funds are neither working for you and that they might be losing  value as fast as you can build them up, so in that sense, you might have quite a bit of hesitancy in holding very much value in cash and/or cash equivalents, even though it is likely in your own interest to keep such cushions, especially once you are building a BTC stash that you likely are not going to want to touch for 10-20 years or maybe even longer.. depending on your own investment timeline.. .. but surely even if you might not consider that you do not want to touch your BTC for a long time, you might be able to get your BTC stash to such a high enough level that you start to feel comfortable to consider either dipping into it or maybe just discontinuing in terms of adding to it, except maybe ONLY during significant dips if they end up happening.

The development of your own situation of the value of your BTC stash and other circumstances is going to inform you how to manage and maintain it once it starts to increase in size, so long as you likely realize it is amongst the best of the assets that you hold.. which likely should have good chances of remaining a good perspective, even though each of us has to figure out our own senses of valuating and balancing our properties, investment allocations and other assets/currencies.

since my investment is technically unsafe if I don't have a good emergency fund, and yeah I'm just well above 20, still in collage so I don't think I can cut down my expenses any further than I am able to.

Of course there is likely going to be some variances, and sometimes, you might have reached a good balance regarding what you are doing that is going to work until your circumstances change and then from time to time, you may well end up having to reassess.. just like if you suddenly had an expense that you had not expected or you suddenly receive some income that you had not expected.  In either case, the longer that you practice balancing your various finances, the more you will be prepared to deal with either situation of an extra expense or extra income coming in to you.

[edited out]
and just lake the two guys from your hypothetical guy1 and guy 3 that started earlier although not as aggressive as guy2 but end up having a better stash than him and would take guy 2 up to 14 years to caugh up with them even with his level of aggressiveness, so yeah they is a reward for starting early in your accumulation.

It is quite likely that guy 2 has a kind of personality that he is likely going to be able to catch up and pass up both guy 1 and guy 3, and guy1 he will probably pass fairly quickly, but you are right, it could take him a long time to catch guy 3 (maybe even a few bitcoin cycles), and that is presuming that each of the guys are just versions of themself and stick with their same kinds of personalities that are different from one another.... and of course, in the real world, there are no guarantees with any thing, and sometimes personalities change, even though part of the attempt with those 3 hypotheticals were to show someone with similar circumstances, but only a few differences in the variables,

so in some sense we could just say that guy2 is merely competing with alternative versions of himself.. versions that were more whimpy in their investment style but also versions of himself who had found out about bitcoin 7 years earlier than he did.. so guy2 remains quite disadvantaged, but not so disadvantaged as that he should give up because he cannot change the past, and he can ONLY start to invest into bitcoin after he finds out about it.  He cannot turn back the clock, so his finding out about bitcoin later than guy1 and guy 3 does not mean that he should not get started in terms of investing into bitcoin right away and within the boundaries of his own circumstances.. including that his circumstances are going to change with the passage of time, and some of the aspects are somewhat knowable and other aspects of his circumstances are merely projections of various things that he believes might happen..

When it comes to differentiating between "Shitcoin" and "bitcoin," it's important to understand their informal meanings in the cryptocurrency community:

- Shitcoin: This term is often used informally to refer to cryptocurrencies that are considered low-quality, unreliable, or potentially fraudulent. Shitcoins may lack a solid foundation, have little to no real-world use, or be associated with deceptive practices......

- bitcon: bitcoin is a term used to describe any cryptocurrency other than altcoin. It stands for "alternative coin." Bitcoin is  a wide range of cryptocurrencies, which has  its own unique features, purposes, and technologies. Which happened to be the Most popular coin right away.....

Bitcoin" is a general term for any cryptocurrency other than any other coins "Shitcoin" is a more colloquial and derogatory term used to express skepticism or criticism towards certain cryptocurrencies. It's essential to conduct thorough research and exercise caution when considering investments in any cryptocurrency......

So in this case you can not in any way compare the both together.. bitcoin has always become the best and sophisticated coin that no other shit coins can compare or context with in any way or value.....

I doubt that your attempt at clarifying is very helpful.

Just think of the term cryptocurrency as an ambiguous term that should not be used unless you are clear about what you mean, and whether you are talking about bitcoin or something else.  If you are talking about bitcoin, then why not use the term bitcoin, and if you feel that you need to talk about some shitcoin or some broader context, so you use the term cryptocurrency to refer to bitcoin and other things that are related to bitcoin, such as shitcoins, then you clarify that is what you are talking about. 

If you say that bitcoin is just one of many types of cryptocurrencies, even if you might be technically correct, you are both wrong and being ambivalent, and perhaps even being malicious if you are trying to suggest that other coins are similar to bitcoin merely because they are copying bitcoin or trying to affinity scam related to either being equal to or better than bitcoin or otherwise creating ambiguities that failure to help in the understanding what bitcoin is prior to just placing bitcoin in some kind of vague, ambiguous and potentially misleading category.

Just think of the term crypto currency as a kind of attack upon the understanding of what is bitcoin.. so in that sense if you use the term "crypto", then you at least clarify what you mean by your use of it... and your clarification of your use of such term might also overly confuse why you need to use such terms in the first place, especially if you might have meant to be talking about bitcoin, then frequently it will be better to just use the term bitcoin and otherwise specify what else you might be talking about in relation to bitcoin if you are wanting to talk about something more than bitcoin. ..

If you are using the term crypto and you are talking about something other than bitcoin, then you can also specify that you are talking about various non-bitcoin terms to the extent that you might want to say something about various shitcoins it also might be good to specify which ones you are talking about or if you are just speaking in generalities to say something about the shitcoin space...

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2982
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
April 03, 2024, 11:47:14 PM

In as much as I like your consistent on Bitcoin investment but one thing you should also consider is the possible fees you could incurred while making a withdrawal on every buy to your wallet, although as investors whose plan is to hold for a very long time it will not be advisable holding your investment on a decentralized exchanges because anything is possible so buying from an exchange and withdrawing to your wallet is actually the best but to be on a safer side in terms the fees of withdrawal you could strategize your withdrawal in such a way that if your accumulation is on a weekly basis you could accumulate for two or three months and withdraw all at once instead withdrawing at every buy which will cost you more.
Keeping Bitcoin on any type of exchange, decentralized or centralized is a big no. We should be wise about where we're keeping our bitcoins. If you have no hardware wallet yet, you should keep it on wallets like Electrum, Bitcoin core, Blue wallet or any of likes that provides your key.
But, wait a minute. Who does keeps his bitcoins on decentralized exchanges? I know that there could be some but really, people still keeping bitcoins there? Because if it's on a DEX, I am sure that it's not a Bitcoin that's on its own network but probably on different chains like wrapped BTC.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Dailyscript

Merit: 112

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 12:18:24 AM
Merited by Winterfrost (2), JayJuanGee (1)

In as much as I like your consistent on Bitcoin investment but one thing you should also consider is the possible fees you could incurred while making a withdrawal on every buy to your wallet, although as investors whose plan is to hold for a very long time it will not be advisable holding your investment on a decentralized exchanges because anything is possible so buying from an exchange and withdrawing to your wallet is actually the best but to be on a safer side in terms the fees of withdrawal you could strategize your withdrawal in such a way that if your accumulation is on a weekly basis you could accumulate for two or three months and withdraw all at once instead withdrawing at every buy which will cost you more.
Keeping Bitcoin on any type of exchange, decentralized or centralized is a big no. We should be wise about where we're keeping our bitcoins. If you have no hardware wallet yet, you should keep it on wallets like Electrum, Bitcoin core, Blue wallet or any of likes that provides your key.
But, wait a minute. Who does keeps his bitcoins on decentralized exchanges? I know that there could be some but really, people still keeping bitcoins there? Because if it's on a DEX, I am sure that it's not a Bitcoin that's on its own network but probably on different chains like wrapped BTC.
I disagree with you here. Your opinion might be unpopular because for beginners in investment they have no idea how all of this works. For now they can buy from the CEX and store it in their wallet. All they have to learn is how to buy from the centralized exchange then learn how to secure their private keys so they wont lose their investment. On the other hand i think centralized exchange are more preferable to a decentralized exchange both in terms of buying and storing bitcoin.

Hardly for a beginner to go around using these hardware wallet if they are not much familiar with it talk more of using a decentralized wallet or exchange. They should not attempt it until they have learn how transactions, seed phrases and other basic things. Otherwise they would end up falling for simple scams going on in the internet.

I think we all started from buying from CEX and then to our wallet. So the newbies should not keep that part until they are more acquainted with how the aforementioned criteria.

teamsherry

Merit: 50

Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 12:42:15 AM

Many times emergency funds are form of cash that are very liquid but they may well not be earning any interest or gaining value, so there could be some sense that those funds are neither working for you and that they might be losing  value as fast as you can build them up, so in that sense, you might have quite a bit of hesitancy in holding very much value in cash and/or cash equivalents,

I was considering a possibility where we can store our emergency funds in other asset that could retain the value we put in it, since generally cash suffers from inflation and you know there are possibilities that our emergency funds would not be used in very long period of time and could sit around for up to 6 months without been used to do anything especially if we follow a strict rule to only touch it when we have a real emergency, but the flaw to this plan IMO would be that we expect our emergency fund to be in some way very readily available when we want to use or when we encounter an emergency cause this could potentially be a huge problem for us if our emergency fund is not around when we want it. And secondly I think there are very few asset that we can consider to be very stable to hold value in such short term and how easily it would be for us to convert back to fait if we need it, this is just an idea so I would like to hear your opinion on it or if it should be written off entirely?

PLINKO    |7| SLOTS     (+) ROULETTE    ▼ BIT SPINBITVESTPLAY or INVEST ║ ✔ Rainbot  ✔ Happy Hours  ✔ Faucet
JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 12:50:48 AM

[edited out]
You are right; a good emergency fund will help you hold your bitcoin for the long term because it will be enough to take care of your unforeseen problems, and you will not think about selling your bitcoin to solve those problems. Since you are still in college, I will advise you to reduce the money you will be using to accumulate Bitcoin weekly to 10% and increase your emergency money to 10% so that it will be enough to care for your unforeseen problems and allow you to hold your bitcoin for the long term.

Emergency fund is not an ongoing expense. Once you establish it (such as having 3 months of expenses.. or maybe you want to have more than 3 months?), then it is established. 

Of course there is the concept of float and reserves too, and maybe it does not matter so much what these are called, but there still should be practices in place in which you would not spend from any of your emergency funds until you were to exhaust your reserves first... and so there could be a certain urgency to replenish emergency funds that are spent as compared to potentially less urgency in regards to reserves and float - even though all of the extra money that you have likely allows you to be more aggressive in your investing into bitcoin when you have otherwise good financial management so that you would never have to touch your BTC, except completely at a time of your own choosing... which may well be years down the road, or at least years after spending a lot of time building it up and/or otherwise managing and maintaining it.

In regards to some kind of a target of saving and/or investing 20% of your income.. that seems attainable, even though it does sound a bit more than what many folks shoot for, yet any exact percentage amount would be a product of discretion and/or fair assessments of how much discretionary/disposable income the guy has... so then if half of the 20%  were to go into bitcoin (that would be 10%) and the other half were to be just kept in cash, then that other 10% could be considered as float or as reserves depending to the extent to which you might designated towards something that you are saving up for, such as saving up to buy a bicycle or saving up to have money for buying BTC on dips or some other purpose that you might keep some extra cash on the sides (even saving up to go on vacation or to take your wife/girlfriend on a date).   

On the other hand, if your emergency fund is not yet built up to a sufficient size, such as being 3 months of expenses or more, then yeah there is no problem putting that 10% into the emergency fund until it gets up to the amount that it needs to be and then there would not necessarily be any need to add further to such emergency fund or to withdraw from it, absent some rationale to touch it.

1) Self-Custody is a right.  There is no such thing as "non-custodial" or "un-hosted."  2) ESG, KYC & AML are attack-vectors on Bitcoin to be avoided or minimized.  3) How much alt (shit)coin diversification is necessary? if you are into Bitcoin, then 0%......if you cannot control your gambling, then perhaps limit your alt(shit)coin exposure to less than 10% of your bitcoin size...Put BTC here: bc1q49wt0ddnj07wzzp6z7affw9ven7fztyhevqu9k
Stablexcoin

Activity: 106
Merit: 41

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 12:51:01 AM
Merited by Marvelockg (2), JayJuanGee (1), Judith87403 (1)

Ultimately you have to figure out your own balances that relate to the various resources that you might have available to you, how steady is any income and/or expenses that you have and how likely are you going to end up needing the extra funds, because the emergency fund, once you establish it, you should not be dipping into it.  It would just be there and always available.  Of course, since you do not want to our need to dip into your emergency fund, then many of the times if you might have shortages of cash, you would be working with your reserves and your float.. so yeah you gotta figure out how much of those various categories to keep available, and surely the larger your BTC stash gets, then that also might affect the extent that you might feel that you need to be diversified in other assets... whether that be in cash or otherwise.. .. sometimes we could think about various other forms of investments (besides bitcoin) as ways of holding cash in different kinds of ways and to be able to earn interest or yield or dividends or that it might also appreciate but be something other than bitcoin, even though bitcoin and cash will tend to be way more liquid while other forms of assets may well be less liquid, but holding value in various ways will give you options to spend from the less valuable assets prior to touching your bitcoin in the event that you might conclude that bitcoin might be the best of your investments that you don't want to touch or being playing around with until it reaches a certain size in which you would thereby start to authorize yourself  to start to dip into it. within systems and under circumstances that you have already established for yourself, once you get to such an overaccumulation level  that could take 4-10 years or longer just to build your BTC holdings to such levels.

You are right, it's important to find the right balance based on needs and different resources (emergency funds, diversification, spending, accumulating more Bitcoin). The emergency fund serves as the safety net which we don't touch unless there is absolute necessity. And as our bitcoin stash grows there might be a need to diversify into other assets or investments that may offer little dividend, interest, or appreciation that we can dip into sometimes without thinking of dipping into our bitcoin holding.

It may be difficult for someone who just started investing in Bitcoin to reach a sizeable holding of 4-10 years or more. If all these things are not put in place, but when I started I got a way out with a few tips.

Plan carefully for different financial needs and goals.
I was diversifying into some business, but I adjusted it as my Bitcoin holdings grew.

My emphasis is on the "long-term". Bitcoin is not an asset that should be invested in the short term. This is why an investor should always put first the necessary dos before starting an investment. It will be so disappointing touching an investment that has well-mapped plans to reach a certain goal then during the ride we end up dipping into it. Bitcoin is not a small investment to me, I value it more than I value my insurance. Even if there is no guarantee that bitcoin would end up beating the fiat system for good in the worst-case scenario it is sure that it still would keep my purchasing power against inflation to some high level in decades which any other form of money (asset) may not. The use case of Bitcoin is to hold it for at least one halving cycle is completed.

ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org     ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org    ElonCoin.org
●          Mars, here we come!          ●
██ ████ ███ ██ ████ ███ ██   Join Discord   ██ ███ ████ ██ ███ ████ ██
Dailyscript

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 01:24:46 AM

Many times emergency funds are form of cash that are very liquid but they may well not be earning any interest or gaining value, so there could be some sense that those funds are neither working for you and that they might be losing  value as fast as you can build them up, so in that sense, you might have quite a bit of hesitancy in holding very much value in cash and/or cash equivalents,

I was considering a possibility where we can store our emergency funds in other asset that could retain the value we put in it, since generally cash suffers from inflation and you know there are possibilities that our emergency funds would not be used in very long period of time and could sit around for up to 6 months without been used to do anything especially if we follow a strict rule to only touch it when we have a real emergency, but the flaw to this plan IMO would be that we expect our emergency fund to be in some way very readily available when we want to use or when we encounter an emergency cause this could potentially be a huge problem for us if our emergency fund is not around when we want it. And secondly I think there are very few asset that we can consider to be very stable to hold value in such short term and how easily it would be for us to convert back to fait if we need it, this is just an idea so I would like to hear your opinion on it or if it should be written off entirely?
No that's a bad idea. The reason for having an emergency fund is so that we can have quick access to cash during an emergency. The availability of the cash during pressing times is what makes it an emergency fund. I understand that you are looking for a way so that inflation wont meet up with the cash kept for emergency funds since it looks somehow like savings in general. But think of it the other way, cash value is more stable and wont experience sudden drops like other assets would do.

Instead of what you plan, retain your cash for emergencies funds and see if you can diversify with percentage of cash that you put inside bitcoin investment (maybe 5-10% ) out of the 30% to invest in short term assets that might offer slightly higher or average returns which may be used to support the emergency fund and foster the rate at which you accumulate your bitcoin. This way you can maintain a stable financial income flow while buying more bitcoin.

Mayor of ogba

Activity: 308
Merit: 183

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 02:13:49 AM

Hardly for a beginner to go around using these hardware wallet if they are not much familiar with it talk more of using a decentralized wallet or exchange.
Mate, I think you are wrong here; all bitcoin wallets are decentralized because only you have ownership of your private key, which you use to control your bitcoin. If you advise a newbie not to use a decentralized wallet to hold his bitcoin, that means you are indirectly telling that newbie to make use of a centralized wallet to hold his bitcoin.

JayJuanGee
Legendary

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 02:23:12 AM

I was considering a possibility where we can store our emergency funds in other asset that could retain the value we put in it,

There is nothing really wrong with those kinds of conclusions - except for a realization that emergency funds tend to be denominated in the fiat in which bills are paid because assets can suffer liquidity events at the same time, then you are fucked  because everything might be going down in value at the same time, and you are forced to sell some things because you did not have enough cash.  Think about what happened March 2020 as an extreme example, but it is still an example of something that could happen and you would not want to be caught on the wrong side in which you had to sell either your assets and/or your bitcoin at a time that they had just taken around a 50% or more draw down in a day and with no clarity in sight when they were going to stop going down.....

so sometimes if you are going to end up wanting to be cute in regards to making sure that your various kinds of emergency funds, reserves and/or float is working for you while in storage for a long time, is that you would still have the first 3 months or so in cash or cash equivalents that are easy to draw upon, maybe in a combination of physical, in banks, in other kinds of accounts that may or may not be interest bearing.

When shit hits the fan, you have to largely be prepared already in advance to be able to weather through the situation... maybe the bad situation only lasts a month or two, or maybe it ends up lasting several months, even 6 months or more, and so there might be some point in which you are also looking at your bitcoin as one of your forms of liquidity that you need something and you are running out of resources, and surely there could be cases in which you are in that situation, and maybe there could have had been ways that you could have better protected yourself.

Maybe I can give my own example?

Through 2017 and early 2018, I had been planning for some construction that I knew was going to cost a certain amount that was probably equal to 3-5% of the value of my then BTC stash, and so I had set aside about half of the expenses that I had calculated were boint to come due in January, February, March and April 2019.

As we likely realize throughout 2018, BTC spot prices went down from around $19,666 and down to a low of around $3,124, so throughout 2018, I was buying BTC on the way down with my designated cash and keeping in mind my construction cost bills were coming due in early 2019 - yet what ended up happening is there were higher costs than expected and the bills started coming due in October, November and December 2018, so really a few months earlier than expected.. and .. so there was some point around November 2018, that I was getting close to running out of cash from all of my various sources, and I ended up selling around 3.5% of my then BTC holdings (at various prices in the $3,800 to $4,200 range), and maybe over the next several  months I ended up buying back around 50% of what I had sold, yet the overall lesson was that I had made a mistake in properly planning and maintaining enough funds to both cover all of the extra expenses but also to sufficiently prepare for the level of the BTC price drop that ended up playing, which largely likely meant that I was buying back way too much BTC on the way down from $19,666 to $3,124 and I should have had held more of those cash reserves (that were dedicated towards buying bitcoin) in my cash reserves that should have had been dedicated for paying for my construction expense.

So, the punchline is that due to my errors, my lack of properly keeping enough cash on hand, there remains a certain quantity of my BTC that I ended up selling in the price range between $3,800 to $4,200 that I was not able to buy back.. which probably was around 1-2% of my then BTC stash that was not able to be bought back.. .. except, I suppose later that I probably ended up buying some of that back at higher prices.. but even that is not really clear in terms of whether my BTC stash might have had ended up being forever reduced by 1-2% because of the price point in which they were sold and the fact that BTC prices were near bottom prices.. so ultimately it was a mistake of selling low rather than selling high.. and then never being able buy back at lower than the sell point (except for my mentioning that about half of it did seem to have had been bought back, so instead of shaving off 3-4% of my BTC stash the end result was only 1-2% of my BTC stash having had been shaved off.

since generally cash suffers from inflation and you know there are possibilities that our emergency funds would not be used in very long period of time and could sit around for up to 6 months without been used to do anything especially if we follow a strict rule to only touch it when we have a real emergency,

But I already mentioned the idea that the cash in your emergency fund.. perhaps up to 3 months expenses is likely going to suffer from not earning any interest or growing but instead ongoingly shrinking in value, which means that more and more funds will likely have to be added to the emergency funds and if you are lucky (and you don't have any emergency), then you may well end up ongoingly maintaining an emergency fund for 20-30 years or longer that continues to get larger and larger in terms of its nominal dollar value, but none of that money (up to around 3 months of your expenses) is earning any income nor interest, just continuing to debase in its value.. but it is a cost of staying safe and hoping that you actually never have to use it.. but it is also likely keeping your rich too. .because you would also never have to touch your BTC investment (or any of your other investments) at a time that is not completely of your own choosing.

Let's say that you spend 20 years investing into something like BTC at 15% per year, so after 6.67 years, you have invested a year's of your income, and so after 20 years you have invested around 3x of your yearly income, but at the same time you have continued to maintain at least 3 months of an emergency fund and sometimes you would have an extra 6-18 months of reserves and float, and so much of that cash was not really working through the last 20 years, but hopefully your bitcoin was working during that time and sufficiently made up for the fact that your various forms of cash were not working.. and you can do these kinds of calculations to figure out whether it was worth it to maintain these various systems including calculating if it would have had been better to use your BTC and/or your other investments as your emergency fund, which surely is a kind of sloppy behavior that we see people do and we see normies get reckt as fuck too and they end up having fun staying poor because they never get ahead and they are always gambling with their money.. so by the time they maybe could have had been to fuck you status, instead they are having to work until they die and they also might not even be able to increase their standard of living because they failed/refused to properly invest and/or to properly protect their investments.

but the flaw to this plan IMO would be that we expect our emergency fund to be in some way very readily available when we want to use or when we encounter an emergency cause this could potentially be a huge problem for us if our emergency fund is not around when we want it.

Exactly!!!!!  That is the dilemma.  You want to have an emergency fund (or an insurance plan) that you never have to use.. but it is there.. .just in case your house burns down...but you would rather that your house did not burn down, but you are ready, just in case it does.

And secondly I think there are very few asset that we can consider to be very stable to hold value in such short term and how easily it would be for us to convert back to fait if we need it, this is just an idea so I would like to hear your opinion on it or if it should be written off entirely?

once you have 3 months of cash, you could potentially have some things that are cash equivalents that might take a month or two to cash in, but they hold their value.  When you start to try to keep your emergency fund in too many other kinds of assets, then you surely run the risk of them all being volatile in the same direction, which is opposite of the dollar (or whatever fiat you use), of course, the richer you become, the less you have to worry about these matters because you likely have all kinds of various assets to draw from and you might not be as concerned if some of them are down or up when it comes time for you to use any of them, and you may also be so much in profits that any emergency might only be 1-2% of your total wealth, versus a more poor person who might get completely wiped out from any small emergency.. especially if he does not set asides funds and cushions to protect himself. .and it can take time to both build up those kinds of protection systems and also get into the practice of using them in such a way that you don't get your own false sense of security because you end up depleting them or using them and then when the real emergency comes, you are fucked because you did not maintain your emergency funds, your reserves and/or your cash float properly..

No one is going to hold your hand either, so if you fuck up, it is completely on you to figure out what kind of balances to make to make sure that you are investing aggressively enough while at the same time, making sure that you maintain sound financial practices in the direction of how you maintain your emergency fund, reserves and float.

Dailyscript

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 02:47:19 AM

Hardly for a beginner to go around using these hardware wallet if they are not much familiar with it talk more of using a decentralized wallet or exchange.
Mate, I think you are wrong here; all bitcoin wallets are decentralized because only you have ownership of your private key, which you use to control your bitcoin. If you advise a newbie not to use a decentralized wallet to hold his bitcoin, that means you are indirectly telling that newbie to make use of a centralized wallet to hold his bitcoin.
Your argument here is pointless. Didn't you see the part where i mentioned that it is a first step for beginners to buy from a centralized exchange and after learning about security measure for a wallet then they can transfer their investment over there. Let me ask you a question. Where do you buy your bitcoin? Do you buy from a CEX or DEX? If you tell me you buy from a CEX then you are nothing but a hypocrite, because you made it sound like a Centralized exchange is a bad area for bitcoin to pass through.

Oh perhaps i have been too aggressive here Cheesy Let me make my point more clear and address this concern. For a beginner its more important to understand between security and ease of use. So my suggestions  was;

A beginner should consider a trusted centralized exchange (at least some level of trust generally) with strong security to get started and learn how to buy deposit and then buy bitcoin. Gradually as they become more comfortable they can learn security measure and how they can secure their holding s in decentralized wallet for total control over their bitcoin.

Al last its all about finding the right balance between security and easy to use exchanges or wallet regardless of our level of experiences as an investor.

Fuso.hp

Activity: 462
Merit: 266

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 03:59:33 AM

Bitcoin market from 70 thousand dollars suddenly touched 66 thousand dollars, although I lost some money due to this temporary dumping of the market, I still see this change in the market as a big opportunity to make profit by investing. 
First of all you are holding the investment for a long time it is definitely a commendable act. The market went above $70K at one point and from there the market dumped a bit but later the market again reached around $70K. In the second phase, when the market crossed 70K dollars, then the market made some stubble candles and the market started dumping again. Some investors think Bitcoin may halve this month as April is the halving month for Bitcoin. But I think there is nothing to get too excited about this temporary change in Bitcoin as other years have seen before the halving the market will only go down but this year the market is very positive. I would agree with you that the temporary dumping of the market is definitely a good investment opportunity for investors.

The price of Bitcoin naturally and a few days ago was 70 thousand dollars at that time many investors invested and some investors were waiting for the price of Bitcoin to drop a bit. That's why some investors were waiting for the price of Bitcoin to fall because they would have the opportunity to buy more Bitcoins at a relatively low price. Opportunities have arisen for these investors because the market is dumping a bit, at this time if those investors invest in Bitcoin and wait for a few days, they can make good profits in a short period of time. I already have enough amount of investment, then after seeing this temporary dumping of the market, I am planning to add some more amount of investment to my total investment.
If investors invest seeing that the market has dumped a bit and after a few days when the market pumps up a bit then if investors sell their investments then I would view their activity as trading rather than investing. Trading is usually done for short term and when a trader has some profit in his coins he sells his coins and waits for the next trading. Long term investment is where the investor will continue to invest continuously and before investing he will set a target. Before investing, the investor will have a certain target and the investor will hold his investment till that target. Investors have to face a lot of challenges in holding the investment for a certain period of time and still accepting those challenges the investor has to hold the investment for a certain period of time. For investors who hold their investments for the long term, temporary changes in the market are not too exciting and not too much to worry about.

I have made a deposit account which I have paid a few days ago, I want to withdraw the money instead of keeping it in the bank and invest in bitcoins because the price of bitcoins is relatively low now. If I invest now and hold for a short period of time, I will still get a good amount of profit from my new investment, which I will not get if I keep the money in the bank. 
Hopefully this will definitely be the best step for me in investing and I will be able to invest all the money in my deposit account and achieve success.
You only mentioned in the third part of your post that you want to invest your deposit account money in Bitcoin but you didn't say anything about how much money you had in your deposit account. If you have enough money in your deposit account, I would suggest you to invest the money in DCA method instead of investing the whole amount at once and divide the money into several parts. That is, assuming you have 5K dollars at the moment, instead of investing all this money at once, divide your total money into 10 to 20 parts and invest it consistently. Whenever you invest your money in 10 to 20 parts, there will be an ability in the price and you will get an opportunity to invest in several steps of the price, thereby reducing the risk of loss in your investment.

SPIN

▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄
     ▄███████████████████▄
   ▄██████████▀▀███████████▄
   ██████████    ███████████
 ▄██████████      ▀█████████▄
▄██████████        ▀█████████▄
█████████▀▀   ▄▄    ▀▀▀███████
█████████▄▄  ████▄▄███████████
███████▀  ▀▀███▀      ▀███████
▀█████▀          ▄█▄   ▀█████▀
 ▀███▀   ▄▄▄  ▄█████▄   ▀███▀
   ██████████████████▄▄▄███
   ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
RIUM
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
SAFE GAMES
WITH WITHDRAWALS
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
       ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄  ▀▀▄
█    ▄         █   ▀▌
█   █ █        █    ▌
█      ▄█▄     █   ▐
█     ▄███▄    █   ▌
█    ███████   █  ▐
█    ▀▀ █ ▀▀   █  ▌
█     ▄███▄    █ ▐
█              █▐▌
█        █ █   █▌
 ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
▄▀▀▀

▀▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▄

▄▄▄▀
Popkon6

Activity: 602
Merit: 303

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 04:09:18 AM

Wallets Basically who uses which wallet depends on the person who has the power and money to use the powerful hardware wallet. And the money and low income person can usually use software wallets no doubt if stored properly. But I think it is best to invest in DCA method regularly. Here we will look at how to save and accumulate bitcoins in the long term and aggressively enough to collect bitcoins. But here we have to keep in mind that Cex or Dex you give more importance to.

███████████████████████████████▀▀▀▀
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀▀▀▀█▀█▀▀▀▀▀█████████
███▄▀▀▀   ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄   ▀▀▀▄███
███████▀▀▀████▌ ▐████▀▀▀███████
█████▀███▀█▀██▌ ▐██▀█▀███▀█████
███████▀▄▀▄███▌ ▐███▄▀▄▀███████
█████▄██▄██▄██   ██▄██▄██▄█████
███████▄▄▄████   ████▄▄▄███████
██████████▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀██████████
██████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
███████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
TRUST DICE
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
#1 RATED CRYPTO
CASINO IN THE WORLD
██ ██ ██ ██ █Trustpilot
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄█████████████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀█████▀▀████
█████████████████▀█████████▀███
██████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████▄███
█████████████████████████▄▄████
█████████████░░░███████████████
███████████░░░█████████████████
█████████░░████████████████████
█████░░░██████████████████████
███░░█████████████████████████
▀░░░█████████████████████████▀
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
I_Anime

Activity: 392
Merit: 164

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 07:54:34 AM

Well, why don't you tell us more about yourself.. and have you already started to buy bitcoin.

There are all kinds of bitcoin-specific and bitcoin-related threads on this forum, and there are all kinds of information sources available about bitcoin, so maybe you have to let us know what kinds of efforts you are making to sort through information sources that are already available in terms of your own attempts to figure out which information might be better or which information might be worse, and why do you think so.
that's actually right, is not all about the knowledge you have acquired. Is how effective that knowledge have been to you, like for instance we all gain knowledge here concerning holding Bitcoin for long-term, and such knowledge has been helpful to us concerning our holding. But In this if you're not holding any coin there's no way you can fully benefits from it , so as you gaining more knowledge on to secure nice investment (Bitcoin) same time focus on accumulating more.
Exactly!!!!!  That is the dilemma.  You want to have an emergency fund (or an insurance plan) that you never have to use.. but it is there.. .just in case your house burns down...but you would rather that your house did not burn down, but you are ready, just in case it does.
that's why emergency funds play a vital role in our investment or long-term holding of Bitcoin. One having an emergency funds, shows that one is ready for out come that may come in any form of expenses. So one not having an emergency funds may not be able to hold for long, because such person may encounter some certain expenses that would make his investment his only option in handling that expenses which may lead to one selling their investment prematurely.
A beginner should consider a trusted centralized exchange (at least some level of trust generally) with strong security to get started and learn how to buy deposit and then buy bitcoin. Gradually as they become more comfortable they can learn security measure and how they can secure their holding s in decentralized wallet for total control over their bitcoin
well that's true, because those that are using the amount as low as $10 for DCAing, may not be able to keep up with the fees when transferring their funds from an cex account to a Dex account. But holding in a cex account is not fully encouraging, we all know about not your key not your wallet, so the best thing one may choose to gather his Bitcoin through DCAing in his cex account first after he or she have gotten to a nice amount they may transfer their holding to their Dex account for safe keeping.

Mayor of ogba

Activity: 308
Merit: 183

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 07:55:05 AM

Your argument here is pointless. Didn't you see the part where i mentioned that it is a first step for beginners to buy from a centralized exchange and after learning about security measure for a wallet then they can transfer their investment over there. Let me ask you a question. Where do you buy your bitcoin? Do you buy from a CEX or DEX? If you tell me you buy from a CEX then you are nothing but a hypocrite, because you made it sound like a Centralized exchange is a bad area for bitcoin to pass through.

Oh perhaps i have been too aggressive here Cheesy Let me make my point more clear and address this concern. For a beginner its more important to understand between security and ease of use. So my suggestions  was;

A beginner should consider a trusted centralized exchange (at least some level of trust generally) with strong security to get started and learn how to buy deposit and then buy bitcoin. Gradually as they become more comfortable they can learn security measure and how they can secure their holding s in decentralized wallet for total control over their bitcoin.

Al last its all about finding the right balance between security and easy to use exchanges or wallet regardless of our level of experiences as an investor.
It is just funny for you to say that my view is pointless. There is no way I said that buying bitcoin on a centralized exchange is bad for newbies or those who have been in bitcoin for years. You said in your comment that it will be hard for a newbie to make use of a decentralized wallet. I want to ask you a question: What do you understand by a decentralized wallet? 

Troytech

Activity: 154
Merit: 123

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 09:38:14 AM
Last edit: April 04, 2024, 08:31:40 PM by Troytech

I was considering a possibility where we can store our emergency funds in other asset that could retain the value we put in it,

There is nothing really wrong with those kinds of conclusions - except for a realization that emergency funds tend to be denominated in the fiat in which bills are paid because assets can suffer liquidity events at the same time, then you are fucked  because everything might be going down in value at the same time, and you are forced to sell some things because you did not have enough cash.  Think about what happened March 2020 as an extreme example, but it is still an example of something that could happen and you would not want to be caught on the wrong side in which you had to sell either your assets and/or your bitcoin at a time that they had just taken around a 50% or more draw down in a day and with no clarity in sight when they were going to stop going down.....

so sometimes if you are going to end up wanting to be cute in regards to making sure that your various kinds of emergency funds, reserves and/or float is working for you while in storage for a long time, is that you would still have the first 3 months or so in cash or cash equivalents that are easy to draw upon, maybe in a combination of physical, in banks, in other kinds of accounts that may or may not be interest bearing.

When shit hits the fan, you have to largely be prepared already in advance to be able to weather through the situation... maybe the bad situation only lasts a month or two, or maybe it ends up lasting several months, even 6 months or more, and so there might be some point in which you are also looking at your bitcoin as one of your forms of liquidity that you need something and you are running out of resources, and surely there could be cases in which you are in that situation, and maybe there could have had been ways that you could have better protected yourself.

Maybe I can give my own example?

Through 2017 and early 2018, I had been planning for some construction that I knew was going to cost a certain amount that was probably equal to 3-5% of the value of my then BTC stash, and so I had set aside about half of the expenses that I had calculated were boint to come due in January, February, March and April 2019.

As we likely realize throughout 2018, BTC spot prices went down from around $19,666 and down to a low of around $3,124, so throughout 2018, I was buying BTC on the way down with my designated cash and keeping in mind my construction cost bills were coming due in early 2019 - yet what ended up happening is there were higher costs than expected and the bills started coming due in October, November and December 2018, so really a few months earlier than expected.. and .. so there was some point around November 2018, that I was getting close to running out of cash from all of my various sources, and I ended up selling around 3.5% of my then BTC holdings (at various prices in the $3,800 to $4,200 range), and maybe over the next several  months I ended up buying back around 50% of what I had sold, yet the overall lesson was that I had made a mistake in properly planning and maintaining enough funds to both cover all of the extra expenses but also to sufficiently prepare for the level of the BTC price drop that ended up playing, which largely likely meant that I was buying back way too much BTC on the way down from $19,666 to $3,124 and I should have had held more of those cash reserves (that were dedicated towards buying bitcoin) in my cash reserves that should have had been dedicated for paying for my construction expense.

So, the punchline is that due to my errors, my lack of properly keeping enough cash on hand, there remains a certain quantity of my BTC that I ended up selling in the price range between $3,800 to $4,200 that I was not able to buy back.. which probably was around 1-2% of my then BTC stash that was not able to be bought back.. .. except, I suppose later that I probably ended up buying some of that back at higher prices.. but even that is not really clear in terms of whether my BTC stash might have had ended up being forever reduced by 1-2% because of the price point in which they were sold and the fact that BTC prices were near bottom prices.. so ultimately it was a mistake of selling low rather than selling high.. and then never being able buy back at lower than the sell point (except for my mentioning that about half of it did seem to have had been bought back, so instead of shaving off 3-4% of my BTC stash the end result was only 1-2% of my BTC stash having had been shaved off.

After taking much thoughts on this and yeah considering the fact that @teamsherry is trying to find a way to keep inflation out of her cash and also your explanation here I don't think it's worth the risk to put your emergency funds in any asset, most asset suffer liquidity and volatility and even the most stable of them like gold can at times also have price fluctuations and Idea of an emergency fund is availability and always ready to use when emergency occurs, like from your experience when you bought much bitcoin because you felt you wouldn't be needing the money in such a short period of time and it wasn't your fault but life happens and things never go as planned and you ended up selling some of your bitcoin to pay for the construction expenses.

And if it was a person still in his accumulation stage that were to be in such situation, it would have resulted in him potentially losing all his asset to pay off such bills.

With all this put together I think your right and it's better to have our emergency funds in cash, we have also been making our decision here based on risk ratio and how certain the an event would occur and when it comes to emergencies we never know when it would happen and we should be always prepared for such since its our insurance that our bitcoin investment stays working and we don't have to touch it prior to its maturity, so certainly having cash reserves around is necessary to our investment, but what's to worry if our bitcoin investment keeps on doing well then it's possible that it could cover for the cash that is suffering inflation and has not been working.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2982
Merit: 600

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 09:52:30 AM

I disagree with you here. Your opinion might be unpopular because for beginners in investment they have no idea how all of this works. For now they can buy from the CEX and store it in their wallet. All they have to learn is how to buy from the centralized exchange then learn how to secure their private keys so they wont lose their investment. On the other hand i think centralized exchange are more preferable to a decentralized exchange both in terms of buying and storing bitcoin.

Hardly for a beginner to go around using these hardware wallet if they are not much familiar with it talk more of using a decentralized wallet or exchange. They should not attempt it until they have learn how transactions, seed phrases and other basic things. Otherwise they would end up falling for simple scams going on in the internet.

I think we all started from buying from CEX and then to our wallet. So the newbies should not keep that part until they are more acquainted with how the aforementioned criteria.
While you're right with that and I might be too quick suggesting them where they should put it. But I've given some ideal and good wallets where they should keep their bitcoins without spending a buck if they can't afford yet to own a hardware wallet. So, those newbies that are looking for, those are the few from the many popular wallets, the desktop wallets that they can use while they probably are saving before they purchase an HW.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Marvelockg

Merit: 119

View Profile
April 04, 2024, 10:06:50 AM

this has helped a lot to showing the importance of making proper plan on how we use our reserve funds so we don't necessarily sell our holdings at a cheaper price because what we've set out as our emergency funds isn't enough to meet up with the issue at hand.  For your situation, it's even not all that emergency case since you already hard plans on making such expenses and this is also what happens when we feel that we are waisting away certain funds as it's not bringing us interest and that it's better we invest it into a small project since we've not seen any possibility of an emergency happenjng anytime soon and when it finally happens that we have to fix issues with our funds our holding becomes the most trusted source to fall back on.

Maybe while making plans for our emergency funds, factors like how much from our monthly income will be going into emergency should be properly spelt out and a strict measure regarding the need to never touch it except for real cases of emergency be set out. But then, outside of an unplanned situation, thier might be cases when we have personal projects like marriage or cases when we might have a child coming into the family which directly means that our expenses will become more than what it use to be and a need to necessarily adjust how much we allocate to our DCA, house upkeep and how much should be kept out for emergency situation and this all calls for a meticulous planning process if we don't want to sell our holdings at the wrong time.

As simple and basic as the concept of proper planning and implementation of how much we keep out as our emergency fund and when best to spend it his, it could make a whole difference in terms of how possible it is to keep our holding without touching or selling it until we meet our accumulation goal.

Pages: « 1 ... 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 [374] 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 »
  Print  

Jump to: