Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:46:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [DISCONTINUED] cryp.today Mining revenue stats Scrypt Scrypt-N X11 X13  (Read 144221 times)
BakSAj

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:00:30 PM

Probably it was asked here before, but why dont you add Coinking? Thanks.
radeon2k8

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 01:51:24 AM

Probably it was asked here before, but why dont you add Coinking? Thanks.

yeah coinking is pretty op atm
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3710
Merit: 8990

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 04:52:50 PM

Charts have been updated for today. No major changes.
edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 05:37:04 PM

I'm a scrypt ASIC schlub who's mostly mined on multi-pools, like WP and CM. As all of us have noticed, scrypt profitability has gone into the toilet.

This might sound obvious, but it seems like there's two main reasons for this. First is the continued LTC difficulty increase. This is not a big surprise with the march of the ASICs this year. And it will get worse when the big ASIC units hit the market (if there still is a market left).

Second, and this I would not have predicted, the LTC market value no longer seems linked to BTC. I know that there are no actual links between the currencies, but previously the same market forces that drove BTC seemed to drive LTC. Instead what's happening now is the relative price of LTC (and the other alt currencies) is down compared to recent BTC recovery.

There's probably a number of reasons for this disconnect (fear of new ASICs, GPU miners abandoning Scrypt lured by what they see as more profitable coins, lack of confidence in the LTC devs, etc.) But the net effect is a double whammy for multi pool miners where not only are we mining less scrypt, but the value we take home in converted BTC is way down.

Now this might sound desperate and stupid, and it probably is, but I'm thinking about mining straight LTC and holding it, anticipating a recovery. My rationale is that any increase a scrypt multi pool hopes to gain over LTC by mining the most profitable coin (maybe 10% on average, according to suchmoon's numbers) is eroded by the current crappy exchange rate to BTC. Further, none of the scrypt coins with all their fancy features have come close to unseating LTC. Sure Doge has their funny meme and a way cool community, but that's just not enough to take on an established brand with 10x their market cap.

Sure LTC prices are in the crapper. But I find it hard to believe that it will go away. It seems unlikely that BTC will be the only crypto currency to survive long term, and the runner up brand is obviously LTC.

Lastly, as indicated before, I'm a schlub stuck with scrypt ASICs, so that's what I have to mine. I have no ability to move on to X11, x13, x15, or whatever comes next for the desperate GPU crowd looking to recapture lost profitability. Not that I'm that jealous of their power hungry rigs. The "x" coins seem to be losing ground to BTC also. I suspect that all these new algorithms will just continue to fragment the alt coin space, which probably won't end well.

So given my circumstances, am I stupid to think about going against the crowd and mining straight LTC and holding it? I can always keep my eye on possible pump and dumps and move off of straight LTC as opportunities present themselves.

I'm still a relative noob when it comes to crypto currency mining strategies, so I'm interested in people's opinions.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 06:27:42 PM

suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2014, 06:51:29 PM

I'm still a relative noob when it comes to crypto currency mining strategies, so I'm interested in people's opinions.

I think if you can earn 10% more in a multipool (even that is rare recently but CM appears to be able to stay slightly above LTC) then you should do that and if you believe in LTC you can buy 10% more of it with the proceeds Smiley

If you mine pure LTC you'll contribute even more to it's rising hashrate/difficulty.

Personally I don't believe in any great recovery in LTC exchange rate without some kind of a drastic shift in its fundamentals. I know some people predicted that LTC value will go up with ASIC arrival because something like that happened with Bitcoin. I just don't get the logic of that or any correlation between ASICs/hashrate/difficulty and exchange rates. The value of a currency is supported by the underlying economy and let's face it, Bitcoin has a real economy behind it, whereas Litecoin doesn't have much, and even that isn't something unique that couldn't be replaced by Bitcoin (e.g. if a retailer accepts LTC they most likely accept BTC too).

Disclaimer: this is in no way based on what I'm doing here with that stats and should not be considered as an investment advice Wink

suchmoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 04:45:10 PM

edonkey
Legendary

Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 05:22:45 PM

I think if you can earn 10% more in a multipool (even that is rare recently but CM appears to be able to stay slightly above LTC) then you should do that and if you believe in LTC you can buy 10% more of it with the proceeds Smiley

If you mine pure LTC you'll contribute even more to it's rising hashrate/difficulty.

Personally I don't believe in any great recovery in LTC exchange rate without some kind of a drastic shift in its fundamentals. I know some people predicted that LTC value will go up with ASIC arrival because something like that happened with Bitcoin. I just don't get the logic of that or any correlation between ASICs/hashrate/difficulty and exchange rates. The value of a currency is supported by the underlying economy and let's face it, Bitcoin has a real economy behind it, whereas Litecoin doesn't have much, and even that isn't something unique that couldn't be replaced by Bitcoin (e.g. if a retailer accepts LTC they most likely accept BTC too).

Disclaimer: this is in no way based on what I'm doing here with that stats and should not be considered as an investment advice Wink

Thanks for getting back to me Suchmoon. Disclaimer received and understood.

Good point about the multi pool advantage over straight LTC. I guess that even after fees and converting back to LTC I'd be ahead on average. I should have thought of that, but I'm on vacation. Relaxation tends to dull my senses a bit. Or maybe it's the rum drinks Wink  In any case, here's a few more thoughts on the subject.

I think the theory is that increased hash rate is an indicator of miner support and momentum, and with that might come higher adoption with merchants.

Sure today the Litecoin economy is small. But there is more than any other alt coin. Coinmap indicates that Litecoin has about 1/10th the number of on the ground merchants than Bitcoin. But Doge (which would probably be the next contender) isn't even on the map.

The other argument for an LTC recovery would be the simple fact that there is competition in free markets. I find it really hard to believe that BTC will be the only accepted global crypto currency ever. Sure LTC has only slight technical advantages over BTC, but that in combination with LTC's momentum and brand might be enough for a solid runner up position.

Just think about what would happen if Coinbase decided to support LTC? Through their API, they connect multi-billion dollar corporations to the BTC network. If I were on the LTC dev team, I would be schmoozing the crap out of the Coinbase execs. And Coinbase could in turn use LTC for leverage if there's anything they want out of the BTC devs.

I'm not saying that Coinbase will ever in fact include LTC. They've indicated in their FAQ that they currently have no plans to support any alt coin. But if they did, LTC would gain an actual economy overnight.

Still, I'm pretty much with you. Bitcoin is the clear winner right now and LTC just has a bunch of potential. If LTC is perceived by the market as simply a mining venue for conversion to BTC, that potential will not be realized.

Anyway, if I really want to take the LTC risk, maybe what I'd do is go with a more flexible pool that allows me to keep LTC unconverted. That way I'm not going from alt coins to BTC to LTC (which feels wasteful). Coinking supports this feature, although both times I tried to mine with them I got crazy rejects that I believe were due to server side problems.

Was I helpful?   BTC: 3G1Ubof5u8K9iJkM8We2f3amYZgGVdvpHr
jimlite
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2014, 07:43:36 PM

Yeah if you want to be paid in LTC, it is silly to pay all the fees to conver coins to btc and then btc to ltc.
CoinKing will let you just get paid out in LTC. I do it from time to time, check out my signature for the link.

Binance, hottest/largest alt exchange, 2BTC daily no verification. https://www.binance.com/?ref=13309371
NEED TO RENT A RIG? All algos at http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=627

✵ Super FAST block times      ✵ Block Explorer right in the wallet!     ✵ Stealth Addresses     ✵ PoW/PoS hybrid  
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Ancient Money