Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:36:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156980 times)
vabchgent

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 10:20:23 PM

So if you can solder the risks are very minimal considering you can unsolder the bridge if you need to.  I am running my test seed at the moment with BFGMiner, There should be no problems doing this mod with that right?

So I'm getting one of these babies in pretty soon, what's the best miner soft to use.

I've seen on crypto blog that with BFG you don't need to replace any driver just plug in and mine,

can you confirm that?

so many here seem to prefer cpuminer but being able to use cgwatcher seems appealing!

I have used cpuminer-cgminer-BFGminer. I have been using Bfgminer for a week with no problems. It is plug and play. The only problem I had with it is it found one extra one thats not there. But will be tonight. if it finds a extra just disable it problem solved. 

Thanks for that, so windows just finds the adequate drivers? or install the drivers that come with the Gridseed first?

If you go to device manager and find st drivers under anywhere but the comports then you will need to do a look up for the ST drivers on the internet and reinstall them. The idea it to get them to install as com ports and not as usb devices. 

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
miaviator
Donator

Activity: 686
Merit: 519

It's for the children!

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 10:54:54 PM

Thanks for that

gamefixer

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:20:54 PM

so has anyone gotten past the glitchy cgminer issue where you have to unplug the miners, start cgminer, plug the miners back in and hope it finds them?

I also noticed that when I had my 20 miners controlled by cgminer my pools hash rate was in the 4800khs area while cgminer reported over 7000khs. Now that they are all running in their own instance of cpuminer I average well over 6500khs and sometimes close to 7500khs at my pool.

Does bfgminer work with these things yet?
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:32:36 PM

so has anyone gotten past the glitchy cgminer issue where you have to unplug the miners, start cgminer, plug the miners back in and hope it finds them?

I also noticed that when I had my 20 miners controlled by cgminer my pools hash rate was in the 4800khs area while cgminer reported over 7000khs. Now that they are all running in their own instance of cpuminer I average well over 6500khs and sometimes close to 7500khs at my pool.

vabchgent that answered my post above is using bfg and recommended bfg to me so I assume it does

http://cryptomining-blog.com/1396-download-bfgminer-3-10-0-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-asics
simon66

Activity: 423

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:38:08 PM

vabchgent that answered my post above is using bfg and recommended bfg to me so I assume it does

http://cryptomining-blog.com/1396-download-bfgminer-3-10-0-for-windows-scrypt-mining-on-gridseed-5-chip-asics

You can get down to 800 MHz if you are getting more HW errors, or try to get up to 900 MHz if you get no HW errors to see if you can get 380 KHS stable.

Can I got to 950? Or is 900 the limit?

Thanks!
gamefixer

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:42:36 PM

for those of you that are using bfg... does your hashing speed roughly equal what your pool says?
jamieb81

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:46:09 PM

You can get down to 800 MHz if you are getting more HW errors, or try to get up to 900 MHz if you get no HW errors to see if you can get 380 KHS stable.

Can I got to 950? Or is 900 the limit?

Thanks!

950 yes, with the bridge mod
razorfishsl

Activity: 399

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 12:02:56 AM

In many cases you will find that  over volting/ increasing the frequency will eventually result in less shares at the pool even if the error rate does not increase.

It seems counter intuitive to increase the voltage/frequency and get less out of the device, but that is what happens due to the way the silicon is designed and is due mainly to race conditions inside the chip.

Also most mining programs can be wildly incorrect with their hashing rate calculations  due to the way they have to calculate the figures, they can only base the rate on when they get a reply from the miner (
good or bad)
Then on top of that you have shitty little cutter SBC's that cannot get round the full USB chain before results start to lap.

Generally it is a balancing act where it is better to go for increases at the pool rather than hard local frequency increases.

The only issue is not trashing the silicon in the process, because getting your device back to the factory for repair will be a real issue. (It is almost impossible to get product back into China cleanly)

RF

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
sang

Activity: 282

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:50:57 AM

Modded 8 units with the single bridge trick today. All runniung stable @ 950mhz and nearly zero HW errors after a couple hours. Pool (ghash.io) reports exactly the same 400khash as cgminer.

Tried 1000mhz on one of them and although CGminer said zero HW errors and 425khash, ghash.io reported 30(!!)khash over a 1hr average. Pretty clear that 1000mhz does not work. At least not the way i'm doing it.

Looking forward to getting ahold of that modified fork of cgminer so I can have a little more granular control over freq setting and trying 950mhz and 983mhz.
jamieb81

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:04:43 AM

Modded 8 units with the single bridge trick today. All runniung stable @ 950mhz and nearly zero HW errors after a couple hours. Pool (ghash.io) reports exactly the same 400khash as cgminer.

Tried 1000mhz on one of them and although CGminer said zero HW errors and 425khash, ghash.io reported 30(!!)khash over a 1hr average. Pretty clear that 1000mhz does not work. At least not the way i'm doing it.

Looking forward to getting ahold of that modified fork of cgminer so I can have a little more granular control over freq setting and trying 950mhz and 983mhz.

So what have you used to solder the bridges?

wi did not see many pictures of actual mods around here Smiley
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 01:48:12 AM

In many cases you will find that  over volting/ increasing the frequency will eventually result in less shares at the pool even if the error rate does not increase.

It seems counter intuitive to increase the voltage/frequency and get less out of the device, but that is what happens due to the way the silicon is designed and is due mainly to race conditions inside the chip.

Also most mining programs can be wildly incorrect with their hashing rate calculations  due to the way they have to calculate the figures, they can only base the rate on when they get a reply from the miner (
good or bad)
Then on top of that you have shitty little cutter SBC's that cannot get round the full USB chain before results start to lap.

Generally it is a balancing act where it is better to go for increases at the pool rather than hard local frequency increases.

The only issue is not trashing the silicon in the process, because getting your device back to the factory for repair will be a real issue. (It is almost impossible to get product back into China cleanly)

RF

Thanks
Please explain "cutter" and "SBC's"
What do these words mean?
w2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
vabchgent

Activity: 840
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:35:27 AM

Yes Bfg miner works. I am using it.it is plug and work no unplug plugging no extra drivers. I spoke with nwolls one of the developers he is working on BFG miner 4.0.0 with dual support.He has a forum on here. He seems to be a good guy. Request dual mining for gridseed on his post hopefully he can incorporate it in for us. 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168174.3020

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███     

██████████

██████     

███████████

███████████████     

███████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
sang

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:38:22 AM

I had to go buy all new soldering gear. The stuff i've soldered before was larger wires. So: New fine-tip iron, some wire, some solder, a station, a headmounted magnifier, flux, etc. The first one I used a small peice of 30awg wire but found that it is easier to put just a tiny tiny drop of solder on the tip of the iron and bring that down to the contact points to make the bridge. The contacts are way to small to apply normal "wound" solder to.

Hopefully all that makes sense.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 02:42:09 AM

Cool, but.....
how often is 'nearly' zero hw errors? I saw red nonce's for the first time 'since I look often',  in days and days of running at 850MHz. Flooky!
Do you mean that kind of nearly zero? If so, I'd be impressed with that. If not....ehhhhh.......

Zero hw errors at 1000MHz does interest me though.
I've been contemplating this phenomenon for a few hours now. Besides the obvious, It occurred to me that this too could be due to comm port overflow errors. Taken care of or at least greatly buffered by increasing the number of port calls made during full flow traffic i.e. upstream/downstream.
The overflow errors can build up sufficiently to only allow a trickle of completed work to be reported hence the lower results pool side.
Try lowering the port FIFO's a bit. See what happens. Might handle it, might not. I've had success doing this mod for similar reasons at lower clock speeds.
I have all of my comm ports FIFO buffers set at 'Recieve buffer (Cool' - 'Transmit buffer (14)'. No loss in number of reported shares pool side too Wink.
Give it a whirl! See what happens.
Let me know what happens. K? Cool!
Keep your fingers and toes crossed! 1000MHz stable here we come? Let's see!
Wolfey2014

jamieb81

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:55:36 AM

I had to go buy all new soldering gear. The stuff i've soldered before was larger wires. So: New fine-tip iron, some wire, some solder, a station, a headmounted magnifier, flux, etc. The first one I used a small peice of 30awg wire but found that it is easier to put just a tiny tiny drop of solder on the tip of the iron and bring that down to the contact points to make the bridge. The contacts are way to small to apply normal "wound" solder to.

Hopefully all that makes sense.

Yes makes all sense, I've soldered before but nothing this tiny. I have an soldering iron as well but not with such thin tip.

I do have a brand new magnifier with the little "hands" to hold the hardware brand new in the box, I guess it's time to get it out and get a

new soldering iron with thin tip
gamefixer

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:08:43 AM

I'm suddenly seeing myself working on grids tomorrow.  Grin

And it wont be this one!

sang

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:18:40 AM

Cool, but.....
how often is 'nearly' zero hw errors? I saw red nonce's for the first time 'since I look often',  in days and days of running at 850MHz. Flooky!
Do you mean that kind of nearly zero? If so, I'd be impressed with that. If not....ehhhhh.......

In total for all 8 gridseeds, running for 3+hrs now, I show 3 HW errors. That seems to be similar to what I see for non modded 850mhz units.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 03:46:03 AM

Cool, but.....

In total for all 8 gridseeds, running for 3+hrs now, I show 3 HW errors. That seems to be similar to what I see for non modded 850mhz units.

Cool! Progress!
What does your pool see? What are your stats?
W2014

sang

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 05:16:51 AM

Cool! Progress!
What does your pool see? What are your stats?
W2014

Pretty amazing actually. Ghash.io LTC pool is showing me EXACTLY the same hashrate as CGminer. 3230khash for 8 devices = 403khash each. Thats the 1hr avg. I'm planning to run this setup 24hrs to get a better average but it seems spot on.
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 07:37:50 AM

for those of you that are using bfg... does your hashing speed roughly equal what your pool says?

Yes

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: