Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:18:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 08:58:43 PM

Just a small note to all of you modding your units. I had 6 of mine not working and it seems they were not working because the screws were too tight and some solders snapped off. So be VERY careful when you put your pods back together! Right now, from 30 modded units it seems I only ended up with 1 paperweight (seems like one pod is too damaged Sad ) with the other 5 being recovered, which is good enough for me Smiley

I had noticed this as well with mine.  I had thought it was just mine, but apparently not.  I noticed these are VERY temperamental with regard to how tightly they are put back together.  Mine also seems picky on how even the tightness is.  The tighter the heatsink was clamped, it seemed the more hw errors I would get and it was more unstable.

Have you tried re-doing the solder connections to see if that helps the one pod?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BCata

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 09:17:45 PM

Just a small note to all of you modding your units. I had 6 of mine not working and it seems they were not working because the screws were too tight and some solders snapped off. So be VERY careful when you put your pods back together! Right now, from 30 modded units it seems I only ended up with 1 paperweight (seems like one pod is too damaged Sad ) with the other 5 being recovered, which is good enough for me Smiley

I had noticed this as well with mine.  I had thought it was just mine, but apparently not.  I noticed these are VERY temperamental with regard to how tightly they are put back together.  Mine also seems picky on how even the tightness is.  The tighter the heatsink was clamped, it seemed the more hw errors I would get and it was more unstable.

Have you tried re-doing the solder connections to see if that helps the one pod?

I don't have the units yet since I paid someone to mod them. But I will look at the damaged one to see how it looks when it arrives. So far I never opened a unit, all that I said is taken from the person doing the mods for me. However I will look around at the broken one to see if I can spot anything.
powersup

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 10:57:29 PM

Lol I thought I was the only one getting pissed at these stupid gridseeds.... Right now only 11 of 14 are working after the mod they were all working then a couple stopped submitting shares resoldered the resistor those started working again then a few more stopped resoldered those now 3 more aren't submitting shares. Smdh ..... Guess that's what happens when I mess with shit.

Yeah. These have been nothing but trouble so far. If my blood pressure goes up any more, I'm gonna have a heart attack, and finally be at peace...lol

So far I have modded 2. 1 of them has quit working all together, at any freq. The other seems to be working at a higher freq, if I put it on it's own PC, because I can't figure out how to adjust it as part of a group.
Another one has stopped working as well. I didn't mod that one.
No single software seems to be able to handle these properly. Nothing works.
Before I bought them, All the posts made them sound so great. I guess I am doing things all wrong, because they are NOT.

It sounds like you may have moved on from the Pi, but I had the same problems with it while running scripta. I followed the directions in this thread - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70437 and have been running since the 8th without any problems. Let me know if you decide to give it another go and I might be able to help if you run into any other problems.

I have tried this, but when i add "dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3" to cmdline.txt my pi no longer responds.

Any suggestions?
coinminer69er

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:12:54 PM

Lol I thought I was the only one getting pissed at these stupid gridseeds.... Right now only 11 of 14 are working after the mod they were all working then a couple stopped submitting shares resoldered the resistor those started working again then a few more stopped resoldered those now 3 more aren't submitting shares. Smdh ..... Guess that's what happens when I mess with shit.

Yeah. These have been nothing but trouble so far. If my blood pressure goes up any more, I'm gonna have a heart attack, and finally be at peace...lol

So far I have modded 2. 1 of them has quit working all together, at any freq. The other seems to be working at a higher freq, if I put it on it's own PC, because I can't figure out how to adjust it as part of a group.
Before I bought them, All the posts made them sound so great. I guess I am doing things all wrong, because they are NOT.

It sounds like you may have moved on from the Pi, but I had the same problems with it while running scripta. I followed the directions in this thread - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=70437 and have been running since the 8th without any problems. Let me know if you decide to give it another go and I might be able to help if you run into any other problems.

I have tried this, but when i add "dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3" to cmdline.txt my pi no longer responds.

Any suggestions?

This is what my cmdline.txt file looks like:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 $
dwc_otg.fiq_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=1 dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x3
dwc_otg.nak_holdoff=32

Is that what you have?
Firebird2000

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:16:55 PM

Update:

I removed the 47K and replaced it with a 33k on one of my bad units.
Still no luck. It wasn't accepting anything.

But I did notice that the PCB has a button on it.
Anyone know what it is for?

Anyway. I pressed it while it was plugged in to the PC.
It seems to have reset it.
It went offline, so I then unplugged it, plugged it back in and............

BAM....it's working again!

Gonna have to try this on my other dead soldier....
nst6563

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:26:46 PM

Update:

I removed the 47K and replaced it with a 33k on one of my bad units.
Still no luck. It wasn't accepting anything.

But I did notice that the PCB has a button on it.
Anyone know what it is for?

Anyway. I pressed it while it was plugged in to the PC.
It seems to have reset it.
It went offline, so I then unplugged it, plugged it back in and............

BAM....it's working again!

Gonna have to try this on my other dead soldier....

That button is labeled as RESET in the schematics.  I'm not sure what effect it would have that unplugging the power and plugging it back in would do...must have done something good though.  Glad it worked for you.
bsquared

Activity: 27

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:40:26 PM

Has anyone tested various resistors on R52 to get a comparison?  going up to 37k, 42k, 45k etc?  Some stats that would be of interest:
  • Highest pool-side hashrate achieved (stable)
  • Frequency
  • Resistor Value
  • Wattage

Essentially to compare the real hashrate vs wattage and plot the profitability curve.
canoli

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:47:27 PM

Wow..how much torque did you use?  I've tightened some pretty tight and was a bit worried, but so far nothing adverse that I have noticed.  Still using the stock crappy blue maxipad and some added arctic silver 4 (yes I've read the warnings against using it...its fine in my opinion/research).  

I have noticed, as someone posted earlier, some that work great for awhile at >1150 stable then hours or day later start throwing HW errors and have to be lowered..permanently.   They also seem to perform better or worse at different times of day.   I don't think that is heat related where I have them, may be power sags?  

Personally if any of mine did >=1000 stock I don't think I would mod that one.  Best I have seen stable is 925, but I only have 7.   I have a few more ordered and after the trial at stock speed I may just do the two jumper mod, or leave them stock. 7W is pretty nice vs. 25+.

Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 11:49:48 PM

Wow Wolfey2014! Great work! I've read all of your posts and it helped me modify all of my miners and get them cranking out over 500KHs each!
I really appreciate your work! The pictures are great and really helped me figure out how to solder and place the resistor on the card perfectly!
Thanks Wolfey2014! You are great
registered yesterday, 5 posts and the first one to praise Wolfey2014...

seriously, Wolfey? Grin
usao
Legendary

Activity: 1109

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:26:52 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2014, 01:18:27 AM by usao

Wow Wolfey2014! Great work! I've read all of your posts and it helped me modify all of my miners and get them cranking out over 500KHs each!
I really appreciate your work! The pictures are great and really helped me figure out how to solder and place the resistor on the card perfectly!
Thanks Wolfey2014! You are great
registered yesterday, 5 posts and the first one to praise Wolfey2014...

seriously, Wolfey? Grin
Well, Wolfey moded my pods and did a great job. I have no complaints. His pictures were excellent, and that's what helped me to decide that the skill required was beyond what I could do, so im glad he was available and willing to do the mods.

I spoke with Wolfie, and he's still available to make mods on more GSDs.
I think he's reliable because he didn't brick any of my pods and his work was quite good.
His email is wolfey2014 at allpower.ws
powersup

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:07:20 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2014, 01:23:10 AM by powersup

Any suggestions?

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 $
dwc_otg.nak_holdoff=32

Is that what you have?

added dwc_otg.nak_holdoff=32 to the end of my cmdline.txt and now she is running with gridseeds pluged in! Thanks Mate!
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:53:50 AM

Maybe this might interest someone,

they sell rather cheap ( no use to me as I'm in the EU )

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=572046.msg6233867#msg6233867
coinminer69er

Activity: 22

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:52:27 AM

dwc_otg.nak_holdoff=32

Is that what you have?

added dwc_otg.nak_holdoff=32 to the end of my cmdline.txt and now she is running with gridseeds pluged in! Thanks Mate!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help someone out after all of the help I've received from others on this board.
michelem
Legendary

Activity: 1015

View Profile WWW
April 18, 2014, 06:11:19 AM

Don't try this at home, kids:

I've tried to mine BTC with a volt-modded unit...  Cry

It seems to me that FB23 and FB24 are gone, does anybody has the specs? Maybe I can replace them.

Hi guys, did anyone try to dual mine or SHA mine with the current resistor mod as did CryptKeeper?

Can you confirm the bad issue if you try that with the mod?

Thanks

Get Minera. Your next bitcoin mining dashboard. Donations are welcome
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:03:21 AM
Last edit: April 18, 2014, 11:36:33 AM by gtraah

I have a few questions that I have been wondering about and the answers may help some newbies and others that may have had these ??'s lurking in their thoughts. So I received my batch of miners yesterday, and all is good, I don't know why but I love these little babies, maybe because I have GPU's also and damm!! they are loud and hot, these little asic things are so quite and efficient. I am now waiting on a few pieces to complete the setup and unfortunately its easter and no shops are open until Tuesday ARGH, plus I would of liked to start modding some.

At the moment I can plug 11 miners at anyone time as I am waiting for some accessories - In transit as I type

Plus I feel if this is all successful and you can get a stable 500Kh per miner, for every 40 Miners This is an extra 5.6Mhs Which is equivalent to 1 x G-blade ? Awesome I think!!

1. I now want to ask something which I don't fully understand, it is HW errors, So I have SOFTWARE over clocked my miners and the most stable with out HW is obviously 850Freq like most of us here. I have tried 875,888 & 900freq and currently @ 900 as i'm typing & most miners have HW errors in the 2 Hrs so far, I have miners having 5 errors all the way to 32, I am testing to see how much shares I get in 4 hrs compare to 4hrs & no HW errors @ 850Freq. Now this brings me to my question, even though they are spitting a few HW some for example I have 1 spitting 25HW in the 1st hour but then only spits another 20 in the next 3hrs which makes me think are HW even that bad to worry about if they are spitting out roughly 20-30hW per hour? One interesting thing I found when testing, So I tested 875 Freq then went to 900Freq why the hell did the HW errors die down a little with higher freq? And yeh so back to HW errors - The shares are accepting fine and I am comparing the accepted shares with some that don't even have any HW errors or even some that have very little HW and funny enough the one with HW actually has slightly more accepted shares than some others (not all but some)? So should we be worrying about HW at the rate of 20-30HW per hour on average? I am starting to think maybe not.
So what are these errors exactly and is it damaging the device is that why we don't wanna see'em I mean if they are still accepting shares in the same range as the NON HW-error miners. Cant we just consider HW errors exactly the same boat as rejected shares? Shouldn't our main focus be on the WU % , the higher this is -even- if there are HW errors than this is the way to go?

2. Once the unit is modded are you basically ruling out BTC mining forever with the modded unit? And is it even worth mining DUAL mining if you have over 40+ units , because it may be worth it as an extra thing  - lets say you got 100 Units this is over 1 TH of btc if they are 11Gh or closer to 900Gh if you mix it up with scrypt, maybe be ok for that little extra but of $$ dont you think, I maybe wrong as I did not do my calculations and $$/Electricity/Mh ratio but Im just asking if it is possible if someone wanted to try to BTC after they have modded a unit

3. Copper shrims, Now I heard some people talking about this and seen that these have the best heat conductivity so thats the no brainer, I was able to get quite a few 1mm thickness 15mmx15mm little squares, Now after reading about people braking the solder of ships this made me wonder how the people with copper shrims are doing how do I know which 5c chips to put them on since there are 5? should I out them on all 5 and put thermal paste on top and bottom off the shrim and then not tighten the screws down all the way ? Or is it ok to tighten all the way down BUT not tight just softly tighten it till its stops being loose if you get what I am saying.

4. This one I am 95% sure but just want to ask, when Cgminer loads the seeds it says something about a firmware version of the device, what does this mean? Is there actual firmware for the seeds themselves individually? I thought the firmware version was only for the MIning software that was made for the PI and other software etc... If the actual Seeds have there own firmware update this could be a great thing meaning we can mod them further and maybe pull more out of them, as there are many genius coders and electrical wizards on here Cheesy

5. Last but not least - In the software tuning, is there ANYTHING other than the Freq we can adjust to try squeeze more out of these things.

If someone here that can answer some of the points it would help and help others that are also wondering, BUT please no smart asses!!! if there is nothing productive in regards these 5 points above, id rather you totally ignore it rather wasting another post, replying to me but having no answers,ideas,opinions that may help any of us or myself.
chup

Activity: 736
Merit: 262

Me, Myself & I

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 07:29:46 AM

I don't understand. You have some devices listed as COM ports and on others you use serial numbers. Do you need to use both? or just one or the other? Also, how do get this to work with CGWatcher? It couldn't find my ASICs.
where can I find BFGminer PR3?
Yes, for dualminers (small 1-chip usb) You have no choice - You have to use path (COM port). For Gridseeds You can use path OR serial numbers. I prefere serial numbers for them. You can find download link on this page: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=248173.2560

nst6563

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 12:40:06 PM

Don't try this at home, kids:

I've tried to mine BTC with a volt-modded unit...  Cry

It seems to me that FB23 and FB24 are gone, does anybody has the specs? Maybe I can replace them.

Hi guys, did anyone try to dual mine or SHA mine with the current resistor mod as did CryptKeeper?

Can you confirm the bad issue if you try that with the mod?

Thanks

YES- DO NOT MINE SHA256 WITH THE 49k RESISTOR MOD!!!!!!

I can confirm as I tried as well (curiosity just got the best of me) and the instant I started mining sha256 the Ubiq m3022m mosfet blew.  Caused some nasty damage to the circuit board as well but I was able to cross reference and order a part from TI and repair it.  I think it did more damage than just that mosfet though because I used to be able to run it at 1225Mhz for days, and after the mosfet blew it slowly started gaining hw errors at that speed, and then 1200Mhz, and then 1175Mhz...and now I'm running it at 1100Mhz. 

But for everyone's curiosity - when I was running the pod at 1200Mhz+ I was actually getting an average of 500Kh/s+ poolside.  Now that I'm running at 1100Mhz, I'm getting a lower average of around 300Kh/s- 400Kh/s.  Huge disappointment....so don't try and mine sha256 with this mod.
happydaze

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:11:07 PM

My oldest pod has this part:

All my newer pods have this part:

All have STM com chip.

Is it a capacitor?  Would someone please explain what is the difference in the parts.  You can tell I don't understand this stuff at all.  Would the difference in parts affect the volt mod in anyway?
The oldest pod runs warmer. 

Edit: I have not done any mods.
nst6563

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:54:46 PM

My oldest pod has this part:

All my newer pods have this part:

All have STM com chip.

Is it a capacitor?  Would someone please explain what is the difference in the parts.  You can tell I don't understand this stuff at all.  Would the difference in parts affect the volt mod in anyway?
The oldest pod runs warmer. 

Edit: I have not done any mods.
That is a capacitor.  I wonder why they would decrease the value on the newer pods....and if that has anything to do with why they are reportedly "less stable" than the older pods at higher speeds.

I've also noticed in some pictures in this thread that one of the 3 mosfets is missing. 
Xer0

Activity: 826

°^°

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 01:55:19 PM

the bottom one is just other brand and lower capacity
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: