Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:16:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156979 times)
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 12:51:30 PM

So I had a go at the ZiG mod since I had some 16K resistors laying around.  All seemed good, i check continuity, and resistance at the regulator leg was 49K so electrically everything looked fine.  However when I plugged the unit in and tried hashing the red LED started flickering maybe at about 20-40hz, then started a flickering / stop cycle about every 3 seconds.

So has anyone tried this Mod and confirmed it worked? does the resistor need to be a 17K?  I would have thought 1K difference wouldn't have mattered. Maybe I have missed something?  

Note: miner worked fine once I removed the resistor and re-bridged R46 pads.  I also did the R139 mod with a 47K resistor and it also worked.

I'm not going to do Zig's? mod. No point in it!
Just do the originally correct R52 49.9k mod and let it start making you more profits!
I seriously doubt we will ever need to revert our seeds back to mine SHA coins!
That's the only reason to even try a different approach. And if I was going to take a different approach, I'd simply add a DPDT switch to select between the original value of R52 (aka R139) and 49.9k.
End of story!
We KNOW without any doubt that the R52 mod works! Hundreds if not thousands of miners are now and have been using it successfully to make more profit$!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
powersup

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:11:27 PM

Just do the originally correct R52 49.9k mod and let it start making you more profits!
That's the only reason to even try a different approach. And if I was going to take a different approach, I'd simply add a DPDT switch to select between the original value of R52 (aka R139) and 49.9k.
End of story!
We KNOW without any doubt that the R52 mod works! Hundreds if not thousands of miners are now and have been using it successfully to make more profit$!

Well considering it took about 30sec to unscrew the heatsink, remove the resistor, and re-bridge R46, i would prefer this mod if it does work.  I guess the point of this mod is it makes it very easy to revert to stock which i can vouch for first hand.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 01:24:18 PM

End of story!

Well considering it took about 30sec to unscrew the heatsink, remove the resistor, and re-bridge R46, i would prefer this mod if it does work.  I guess the point of this mod is it makes it very easy to revert to stock which i can vouch for first hand.

Well, based on your stellar record breaking fast resistor changing speed!!!, it would only take 2 minutes to revert the R52 mod!!!!  Grin
Point is, based on your complaint, the mod doesn't seem to work as advertised, anyway!.....
We ALL KNOW that the R52 mod works, perfectly!
What are the odds that we will ever need to revert our pods back to stock anyway? Slim to none!
And, the most effective way to mod the pods, IF reversion is for some reason ever a desired feature, is to add a 33k and 49.9k resistors via a DPDT switch to R52's (aka R139), pads. Simple and permanent!
Never need to work on the pods again! EVER!
This DPDT mod (wolfey2014 and friends mod  Cheesy) is the ULTIMATE mod for our pods if one wants the option to select between SHA/DUAL or Scrypt overclock modes!
Someone also tried and evidently succeeded at overclocking SHA mode at 1000MHz. Not sure if any mods were made or not at the time.
I mean, let's just get this modding thing over-with and get back to mining and making money!

Xer0

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

°^°

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:25:09 PM

Is the point I've drawn the arrow to in this photo supposed to be bridged or not from the factory?  I'm troubleshooting one of my gridseeds that has a few more errors than the others and I previously poked around that spot by mistake.  I just can't see it well enough to tell if it is bridged or not.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Not bridged.
Anything else I can do, let me know!

It is bridged!!

Once i "opened" it accidentally by too much heat nearby,
and the Miner was detected as nonworking-device on USB
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 01:30:22 PM

Is the point I've drawn the arrow to in this photo supposed to be bridged or not from the factory?  I'm troubleshooting one of my gridseeds that has a few more errors than the others and I previously poked around that spot by mistake.  I just can't see it well enough to tell if it is bridged or not.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Not bridged.
Anything else I can do, let me know!

It is bridged!!

Once i "opened" it accidentally by too much heat nearby,
and the Miner was detected as nonworking-device on USB

Sorry but, looking at an unaltered factory pcb, it is UNBRIDGED on my pods.
But I do see it bridged on a picture of a modded pod.
Sorry for any misunderstandings though.
At any rate, glad to see you got your pod working again!
Good show!

powersup

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 01:49:43 PM

End of story!

Well, based on your stellar record breaking fast resistor changing speed!!!, it would only take 2 minutes to revert the R52 mod!!!!  Grin
Point is, based on your complaint, the mod doesn't seem to work as advertised, anyway!.....
What are the odds that we will ever need to revert our pods back to stock anyway? Slim to none!
And, the most effective way to mod the pods, IF reversion is for some reason ever a desired feature, is to add a 33k and 49.9k resistors via a DPDT switch to R52's (aka R139), pads. Simple and permanent!
This DPDT mod (wolfey2014 and friends mod  Cheesy) is the ULTIMATE mod for our pods if one wants the option to select between SHA/DUAL or Scrypt overclock modes!
Someone also tried and evidently succeeded at overclocking SHA mode at 1000MHz. Not sure if any mods were made or not at the time.
I mean, let's just get this modding thing over-with and get back to mining and making money!

Firstly, In no way is my comment a complaint.  I'm simply asking if anyone has this mod working and guide me in the right direction.

Secondly, its almost certain people will want to use their Gridseeds for sha256 if the price of BTC rises or a profitable SHA256 coin is released.  There is also benefit in reverting back to stock for re-sale.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 01:56:30 PM

End of story!

Firstly, In no way is my comment a complaint.  I'm simply asking if anyone has this mod working and guide me in the right direction.

Secondly, its almost certain people will want to use their Gridseeds for sha256 if the price of BTC rises or a profitable SHA256 coin is released.  There is also benefit in reverting back to stock for re-sale.

Doesn't work = complaint, in my book Wink
re: SHA mining. The key word is IF.....not when. Personally I think SHA algo is on its way out due to security and some other issues I've read about.
Any mod can be reversed. Who cares if it takes a few minutes more to revert R52 mod back to original?
I think these other mods are just adding randomity and confusion to an otherwise straight forward and solved, simple mod that makes Scrypt only miners (the majority of seed users) higher profits per seed!  Grin

nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 02:18:27 PM

re: SHA mining. The key word is IF.....not when. Personally I think SHA algo is on its way out due to security and some other issues I've read about.
Any mod can be reversed. Who cares if it takes a few minutes more to revert R52 mod back to original?
I think these other mods are just adding randomity and confusion to an otherwise straight forward and solved, simple mod that makes Scrypt only miners (the majority of seed users) higher profits per seed!  Grin

wolfey - your views and opinions are just that....yours.  Everyone is well aware that in your opinion, everyone should use 49.9k at r139 and be done with it no matter if there is an easier method available or not.  You don't need to preach to everyone in every post about "your" mod is the "best mod" (I mean really...who gives a sh*t who's mod it is anyway when it's a community effort).

There are people out there that LIKE to mod.  We LIKE to tinker with stuff, change things, explore other options.  It's not about "being done with it and making money".  We do the modding for FUN, for a hobby, because we like to.  If you have issues with this, just leave the thread and let the modders mod since you're obviously "done with it and making money". 

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 02:35:12 PM

wolfey - your views and opinions are just that....yours.  Everyone is well aware that in your opinion, everyone should use 49.9k at r139 and be done with it no matter if there is an easier method available or not.  You don't need to preach to everyone in every post about "your" mod is the "best mod" (I mean really...who gives a sh*t who's mod it is anyway when it's a community effort).

There are people out there that LIKE to mod.  We LIKE to tinker with stuff, change things, explore other options.  It's not about "being done with it and making money".  We do the modding for FUN, for a hobby, because we like to.  If you have issues with this, just leave the thread and let the modders mod since you're obviously "done with it and making money". 

Well, besides stating the 'obvious'..re: opinions, onion head...geesh....What do you know about what "Everyone"? Generalities are a lame way of trying to back up ones own opinion.
I doubt very seriously that although there are obviously a few tinkerers on here - most pod owners are interested in getting on with making ROI from their miners. PERIOD!
Also, I seriously doubt most folks will spend $100 to $300 on a hobbyists' tinker toy! Get real!
This is an investment and its purpose is to make money with them. Not play with them.
However, I'll let it be as you suggest Wink,,,that is until I need to bring it up again ;p

nst6563

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 03:21:12 PM

Well, besides stating the 'obvious'..re: opinions, onion head...geesh....What do you know about what "Everyone"? Generalities are a lame way of trying to back up ones own opinion.
I doubt very seriously that although there are obviously a few tinkerers on here - most pod owners are interested in getting on with making ROI from their miners. PERIOD!
Also, I seriously doubt most folks will spend $100 to $300 on a hobbyists' tinker toy! Get real!
This is an investment and its purpose is to make money with them. Not play with them.
However, I'll let it be as you suggest Wink,,,that is until I need to bring it up again ;p

Really?  Are you and your ego that vulnerable or insecure that you must make everything a personal attack and resort to name calling?  You bash me for "making generalities" (even though they are TRUE and in no way "backing up an opinion") yet turn right around and make your own generality?  For you and many(most) others, it likely is an investment.  However there are also those of us out there that it is both an investment AND a hobby.  It is possible to have both.

Also, there are a LOT of people that will spend $100-$300 on a "hobbyists' tinker toy".  I've spent thousands on equipment to tinker with as part of a hobby, look at anyone that works on cars as a hobby, or computers (especially gaming), hell some people have aviation as a hobby and that's far from cheap.  $100-$300 is pretty cheap when it comes to the scope of a hobby. 

So just like others have asked you to stop advertising in every post, I'm simply asking you to stop "attacking"/"bashing" (as well as the completely unnecessary name calling) other ideas that people come up with and are trying.  It seems that no matter what someone else posts, whether it be their solder job, an idea, or other type of mod (successful or not), you seem to have a problem with it and return to preaching that the 49.9k on r139 mod is "the only mod anyone should worry about".
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 03:41:48 PM

Really?  Are you and your ego that vulnerable or insecure that you must make everything a personal attack and resort to name calling?  You bash me for "making generalities" (even though they are TRUE and in no way "backing up an opinion") yet turn right around and make your own generality?  For you and many(most) others, it likely is an investment.  However there are also those of us out there that it is both an investment AND a hobby.  It is possible to have both.

Also, there are a LOT of people that will spend $100-$300 on a "hobbyists' tinker toy".  I've spent thousands on equipment to tinker with as part of a hobby, look at anyone that works on cars as a hobby, or computers (especially gaming), hell some people have aviation as a hobby and that's far from cheap.  $100-$300 is pretty cheap when it comes to the scope of a hobby. 

So just like others have asked you to stop advertising in every post, I'm simply asking you to stop "attacking"/"bashing" (as well as the completely unnecessary name calling) other ideas that people come up with and are trying.  It seems that no matter what someone else posts, whether it be their solder job, an idea, or other type of mod (successful or not), you seem to have a problem with it and return to preaching that the 49.9k on r139 mod is "the only mod anyone should worry about".

First of all. You are wrong. I do not generalize.
Anyway....
Stating a generality as such is one thing. Using generalities like 'everyone thinks' 'everybody knows' 'they said' etc. etc. are hearsay and unless backed up by verifiable specifics, are complete BS!

We are not talking about car hobbies or Donald Trump sky scraper projects for that matter. Yeah, he does that shit as a hobby too, probably  Grin Just kidding!

You use the word 'others' as if to make it seem like it's a majority when clearly it is not! It's always just a few or just one who tries/needs to use generalities to make their words seem valid or truthful when it's just complete BS coming from a desperado!

I've already said I'll abstain from emphasizing how the R52 mod is all that is needed. And I am sure time will prove me right in saying that 'in my opinion' SHA is a dying algorithm and will never be revisited by our beloved pods. See? No generalities. Obviously I have made my point very if not painfully clear!

It is not my intention to offend anyone but it is my intention not to take any crap from anyone either.

Sorry I called you an Onion Head. I'm ssssssssssssso bad!  Roll Eyes

nemercry

Activity: 339

Vice versa is not a meal.

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:01:52 PM

I did the 49.9k resistor mod, but I'm having an issue:

For some reason, although the Gridseeds are running at 7.65 Mh/s collectively, I"m only getting around 3.6 Mh/s effective. It's like this no matter what pool I use. Is this normal, and if not, any idea on how I can fix it?

Can yopmeone join in here and tell what the actual problem is ?
I have to say that i face the same problem with the bfgminer.
On Ubuntu when i use cgminer, i have to restart cgminer very ofter as there plopps an libusb error. On BFGminer verything runs as it should but the effective hashrate is extremely lower...
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 04:07:02 PM

For some reason, although the Gridseeds are running at 7.65 Mh/s collectively, I"m only getting around 3.6 Mh/s effective. It's like this no matter what pool I use. Is this normal, and if not, any idea on how I can fix it?

On Ubuntu when i use cgminer, i have to restart cgminer very ofter as there plopps an libusb error. On BFGminer verything runs as it should but the effective hashrate is extremely lower...

A win 7 32 or 64 bit host, a USB hub and cpuminer will solve all of your problems Wink

sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 04:08:48 PM

Try the cpuminer in my signature, it should work without issues.

nst6563

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 04:15:13 PM

More personal attacks?  You just don't quit do you.  No one here is a "desperado" (again with name calling) and I did not use "others" in the way that you referenced.

@nemercry - I can't say that wolfey is right in that using cpuminer "will solve all of your problems", however it is worth a shot.  There is a new build Sandor just released that not only added blade support, but also per-chip frequency auto-tuning with multiple device support.  
https://github.com/siklon/cpuminer-gc3355
or a compiled Windows version is http://cryptomining-blog.com/2113-new-cpuminer-fork-for-gridseed-asics-with-hashrate-reporting-and-other-useful-features/

:EDIT:  I see Sandor chimed in - that's the one I'm referencing.  Works great. 
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 04:20:12 PM

More personal attacks?  You just don't quit do you.  No one here is a "desperado" (again with name calling) and I did not use "others" in the way that you referenced.

@nemercry - I can't say that wolfey is right in that using cpuminer "will solve all of your problems", however it is worth a shot.  There is a new build Sandor just released that not only added blade support, but also per-chip frequency auto-tuning with multiple device support.  
https://github.com/siklon/cpuminer-gc3355
or a compiled Windows version is http://cryptomining-blog.com/2113-new-cpuminer-fork-for-gridseed-asics-with-hashrate-reporting-and-other-useful-features/

:EDIT:  I see Sandor chimed in - that's the one I'm referencing.  Works great. 

Dude, you gotta grow thicker skin! Wink

Wolfey is right. cpuminer WILL solve all your problems! Others can attest to this as well! Trust me!  Grin

amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 05:14:03 PM

ok heads up : bit off topic BUT can someone either
A) explain clearly
or B) show me where ie a link
on how to complie the source codes in windows - prefererable x64 - for bfgminer/cgminer/cpuminer.

Ive got a few thoughts and ides id like to try with the grids, but itd require moding the source a bit and a recomplie. tried compliing one of the source codes in the past on windows and got completely lost. heck wis´h i had linux system its so much easier. Oh the idea WONT help wiht over clocking the grids before anyone asks. Thanks so much in advance. Feel feel to send me a PM so as we dont stray off topic.
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 05:22:23 PM

Guys, I have been running Cgminer For 4 days Non-stop so far, I have been using Cgminer since the first day I started mining with GPU's I do not have to restart a single time. BFGminer looks weird Look at all the hashrate differences, where is the Frequency? are they all the same or not  - Almost like the pools hashrate averages.

PM me if you want to get cgminer working I will try to work you through it...

Anyways guys guess what? I did Vmod3 with the 49.9kohm  I have done 3 pods so far, I used a soldering iron and the 0402 SMD resistors... Wow what a Rush it is when you get the 1st one done DAMMM... Its like I am operating on an Ants knee cap.... 3rd One guess what happen!!..... here you can learn from me now, so I plugged it in and it would not accept ANY shares at all... So I put it back on the operating table and realised the 0402 resistor was not contacting the 2 pads correctly possibly a bridge .... anyway I re-tried it ... AGAIN still no accepted ... So it goes under the operating table again and this time I decided to take the resistor fully off... and plug it in and run it to see if it is doing the exact same problem this would atleast tell me it is definitley the R52 pads & resistor not connected properly .. anyway so I removed the resistor and plugged it in with empty r52 pads... and too my releif it did not accept shares .. so I now know its definitely that and I didn't burn something else along the way... So I decided to use a brand new resistor and plugged it in BOOOOOOOOOOOOM.... 3rd time lucky this time I connected it nicely and it is accepting shares...

3 Pods MANY to go :\ ...

I definitley see ZIGmod being easier as you do not have to remove the resistor... but now that someone states it not working... makes me afraid to even bother with it....

Zigman where are you we need your input  on this problem one of the boys are havin.
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2014, 05:24:35 PM

A) explain clearly
on how to complie the source codes in windows - prefererable x64 - for bfgminer/cgminer/cpuminer.

Ive got a few thoughts and ides id like to try with the grids, but itd require moding the source a bit and a recomplie. tried compliing one of the source codes in the past on windows and got completely lost. heck wis´h i had linux system its so much easier. Oh the idea WONT help wiht over clocking the grids before anyone asks. Thanks so much in advance. Feel feel to send me a PM so as we dont stray off topic.

Download link for Windows is here: http://cryptomining-blog.com/2113-new-cpuminer-fork-for-gridseed-asics-with-hashrate-reporting-and-other-useful-features/
More info in my signature.

On how to compile for Windows, this is really tricky to get working.

Quote from: pooler
Basic Windows build instructions, using MinGW:
   Install MinGW and the MSYS Developer Tool Kit (http://www.mingw.org/)
      * Make sure you have mstcpip.h in MinGW\include
   If using MinGW-w64, install pthreads-w64
   Install libcurl devel (http://curl.haxx.se/download.html)
      * Make sure you have libcurl.m4 in MinGW\share\aclocal
      * Make sure you have curl-config in MinGW\bin
   In the MSYS shell, run:
      ./autogen.sh   # only needed if building from git repo
      LIBCURL="-lcurldll" ./configure CFLAGS="-O3"
      make

Lots of fiddling with linking libraries properly in MinGW to get it to work.

amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 23, 2014, 05:36:57 PM

A) explain clearly

Download link for Windows is here: http://cryptomining-blog.com/2113-new-cpuminer-fork-for-gridseed-asics-with-hashrate-reporting-and-other-useful-features/
More info in my signature.
thanks sandor i got it but im looking for detailed steps for compliing these things in windows myself.

As for using grids for mining SHA personnally -in my opion - its a waste, 8gh, for 60W WATT! Smiley seriuosly i can get 4 antminer for under a 100$ that use 2.5w each. would give 8gh-8.8gh for 10W. plus the added ability to mod it - yeah more modding Smiley - to up it to about 4-5 gh for about 8-10w(?). Beats using grids i think.

Yep modding serious hooby of mine - when funds allow it - mod it all my miners and the heatsinks, controllers even my computer and case. so yeah modding is fun, and in this case modding it to limits push thoose limits out some more, mod it some more. oops too much, mod it back and pray it still works Smiley and even make some $$$ while at it. hobby that pays off a bit. not as much as i invest into it though. it was modding the grids that finally made me replace my hotworks system. that equipment upgrade cost me a grid! i tinker and love it Smiley
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: