Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:00:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156980 times)
gtraah

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 01:47:29 AM

Guys something is going on here and its starting to drive me nuts, I dont know if its the USB hub or not, everything is connected and accepting shares but the accepted shares is way below what the share should be for the MH, I really dont know what is going on and I am wasting time and $$ every second.   Embarrassed

What's your setup like?  # gridseeds?  What they're connected to?  What's controlling them?  Power delivery?

It could very well be something like what Chanberg said - overloaded controller unit.  

(and dam I wish I had 30 gridseeds....actually....30 blade miners....)

I have more than 30 but I have only 26 connected here, I have 2 x 10 port USB hubs powered. And 2 x 4 USB port UNPOWERED hubs..

I have a 1200w 80+ corsair powersupply .... I have 2 x 6PIN power cables going into 20 Miners and another another 6 miners going into the same way on a seperate 6PIN power lead..

I have 2 x 2.0 USB ports on the Laptop I am using, I have one 10 x Port going into one and the other 10x port going in the other... 2 of the 10 Ports each have 1 x 4usb port daisy chained of... So reallly  I have 13 ports on one USB with the daisy included and the same as the other 26 total.

I am using the "apparent latest" cgminer build which has blade availability and also clocks in small steps all the way to 1400.

Hmmm what else.. I am using Win 8  .. thats it guys your help would be EXTREMELY appreciated, time is counting down and so are the dollars , I am already pissed off because I am waiting on some other accessories cables hubs to get the remaining miners up and running. I can atleast get 26 running now...

Do you think the 4 port unpowered USB hubs daisy chained ontop of each 10 port is stuff this up? I was able to do this when I had the 1 USB hub and I had a 4 port attached to that seemed to work fine.

By the way the 10 Port Hubs that I am using are very cheap ones the 10 dollar china one that Gawminers, Helix miners and some others supply, But I bought mine of EBAY same thing. I am wondering if these are the cause
nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:07:59 AM

Guys something is going on here and its starting to drive me nuts, I dont know if its the USB hub or not, everything is connected and accepting shares but the accepted shares is way below what the share should be for the MH, I really dont know what is going on and I am wasting time and $$ every second.   Embarrassed

What's your setup like?  # gridseeds?  What they're connected to?  What's controlling them?  Power delivery?

It could very well be something like what Chanberg said - overloaded controller unit.  

(and dam I wish I had 30 gridseeds....actually....30 blade miners....)

I have more than 30 but I have only 26 connected here, I have 2 x 10 port USB hubs powered. And 2 x 4 USB port UNPOWERED hubs..

I have a 1200w 80+ corsair powersupply .... I have 2 x 6PIN power cables going into 20 Miners and another another 6 miners going into the same way on a seperate 6PIN power lead..

I have 2 x 2.0 USB ports on the Laptop I am using, I have one 10 x Port going into one and the other 10x port going in the other... 2 of the 10 Ports each have 1 x 4usb port daisy chained of... So reallly  I have 13 ports on one USB with the daisy included and the same as the other 26 total.

I am using the "apparent latest" cgminer build which has blade availability and also clocks in small steps all the way to 1400.

Hmmm what else.. I am using Win 8  .. thats it guys your help would be EXTREMELY appreciated, time is counting down and so are the dollars , I am already pissed off because I am waiting on some other accessories cables hubs to get the remaining miners up and running. I can atleast get 26 running now...

Do you think the 4 port unpowered USB hubs daisy chained ontop of each 10 port is stuff this up? I was able to do this when I had the 1 USB hub and I had a 4 port attached to that seemed to work fine.

By the way the 10 Port Hubs that I am using are very cheap ones the 10 dollar china one that Gawminers, Helix miners and some others supply, But I bought mine of EBAY same thing. I am wondering if these are the cause

What happens if you run without the unpowered hubs, verify the speed, then plug in 1 unpowered hub?  Speed drop or stay the same?  If it stays the same, plug in the other 4-port unpowered hub and check again. 
Or try running one unpowered hub at a time and see if things improve that way.  You could also try ONLY running the unpowered hubs and isolating them completely from the powered ones. The gridseeds aren't modded are they?  5v usb fan mod?  If you have them modded with the 5v usb fan mod and are running 4 from a non-powered hub that could be the problem.  I can't imagine the power draw over the USB lines is more than 100mA per gridseed without the fan mod.

I'm running Win 8.1 but only have 3 gridseeds (49.9k mod + 5v usb fan mod) plugged into a 4-port non-powered hub (which is in turn plugged into an Asmedia USB3 port).  I was running cgminer without issue, but switched to Sandor's new cpuminer and have gotten better results. 
gtraah

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 02:52:43 AM

YEh I was running 17 with no issue, 3 would be very simple... Its when you start adding more... I am trying some things, this is driving me crazy and I am so surprised no one has a setup like mine... Cgminer + Hubs + Windows..  

I have now tried no unpowered hubs just the 2 powered ones. and I started cgminer and plugged each usb one by one lets see what happens.

What is the normal Wu/ shares per miner people are getting on Cgminer... this is stock miner running at 850mhz

By the way I am on Wireless connection as I thought this should be fine for mining... Has anyone tried a wireless connectino? I have now plugged in a hard connectino to see what happens also..

amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:03:52 AM

what version of windows?

im on windows 7 x64, i had hub issues, check under Devices and printers , make sure all your hubs are there, its possiblöe there is one that not installed driver correctly.
Also i noticed windows doesnt like it if you mix and match USB hubs, powered, vs non powered, and usb3 vs usb2. it get very temperment, espe cailly a powered usb3 hub, wiht a usb2 unpowered daisy chained off it. no go, sometimes maybe if it wants. My recommmendation is to try and stick to the same type of hub when daisy chain them together. right down to make and mode.
gtraah

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:16:49 AM

what version of windows?

im on windows 7 x64, i had hub issues, check under Devices and printers , make sure all your hubs are there, its possiblöe there is one that not installed driver correctly.
Also i noticed windows doesnt like it if you mix and match USB hubs, powered, vs non powered, and usb3 vs usb2. it get very temperment, espe cailly a powered usb3 hub, wiht a usb2 unpowered daisy chained off it. no go, sometimes maybe if it wants. My recommmendation is to try and stick to the same type of hub when daisy chain them together. right down to make and mode.

Yes I have 2 Powered USB 10 Port hubs, both the same... I unplugged the Unpowered ones, so far I have plugged each powered Hub into one port of the laptop.

Interesting I went into device manager and it shows I have 8 Generic USB hubs installed... Wtf. And also 2 x USB Root Hub & 1 x USB Root Hub (xHCI)

This is all weird....

Cgminer shows a total         WU: of 4.5/m   

The pool if I calculated it correctly is showing around 3000-4000KH for 20 Miners @ 361KH
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 03:31:07 AM

what version of windows?

Yes I have 2 Powered USB 10 Port hubs, both the same... I unplugged the Unpowered ones, so far I have plugged each powered Hub into one port of the laptop.

Interesting I went into device manager and it shows I have 8 Generic USB hubs installed... Wtf. And also 2 x USB Root Hub & 1 x USB Root Hub (xHCI)

This is all weird....

The pool if I calculated it correctly is showing around 3000-4000KH for 20 Miners @ 361KH

If you're using comm port FIFO buffers on any comm & lpt port, not sure which program we're talking about, just jumped in...but I've been seeing some common complaints that have been addressed earlier in this thread that may or may not relate to 16550 UART FIFO buffers. If they are ON, turn them OFF!
No need for FIFO buffers with these things., It just causes some of the problems you guys are talking about.
Good luck!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
Mithril1977

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:36:55 AM

How would I go about seeing if that option is enabled/disabled? I'm using cpuminer if it matters.
gtraah

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:39:01 AM

Wolfey please tell me how to turn fifo buffers I have the STM32 Virtual Com port This is what I am using Where do I turn the fifo buffers off Cgminer doesnt use the same com port drivers as CPUminer
gtraah

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 03:40:36 AM

And by the way I am using Win 8 64bit
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 03:48:36 AM

Wolfey please tell me how to turn fifo buffers I have the STM32 Virtual Com port This is what I am using Where do I turn the fifo buffers off Cgminer doesnt use the same com port drivers as CPUminer

I don't know cgminer. No need to, yet Wink
I'm a cpuminer nut!  Grin
start/computer/properties/device manager/ports comm & lpt/STMicroelectronics Virtual Comm Port/
right click select each STM driver instance/properties/port settings/advanced/ - uncheck 'Use FIFO buffers etc. etc. for each port.
OK your way out, close. run miners again....Make sure you are not running any hashing sessions while making these changes.
To be sure the change takes, you may want to restart each miner by disable / enable it's comm port.
Make sure your miners are plugged in and powered up. Yes, I mean via USB too.
All you gotta do next it fire up your mining program and see what happens. If this was the cause, your problem is solved!
Good luck!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
Ferris419

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 04:14:29 AM

what version of windows?

This is all weird....

Right now I'm running 10 gridseeds through powered usb hubs with windows 7 cgminer. They are modded with the 49.9k mod at 1175mhz showing 5mh/s in cgminer and 3.5mh/s pool side. Not sure how acurate the pools really are because even when I was running GPUs the pool and cgminer both were always reporting different numbers.  I always have very low WU numbers but I do notice whichever miner has the highest WU number seems to submit the most shares. I don't know these things are weird if I only have 2 or 3 hooked up I have way higher WU but the more I add the lower it gets then they all usually stabilize around 0.5/m WU each. I stopped trying to figure them out now all I do is make sure they are running and make sure each one is submitting shares.

Bitcoin is gonna hit 100K usd
gtraah

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:01:41 AM

what version of windows?

This is all weird....

Right now I'm running 10 gridseeds through powered usb hubs with windows 7 cgminer. They are modded with the 49.9k mod at 1175mhz showing 5mh/s in cgminer and 3.5mh/s pool side. Not sure how acurate the pools really are because even when I was running GPUs the pool and cgminer both were always reporting different numbers.  I always have very low WU numbers but I do notice whichever miner has the highest WU number seems to submit the most shares. I don't know these things are weird if I only have 2 or 3 hooked up I have way higher WU but the more I add the lower it gets then they all usually stabilize around 0.5/m WU each. I stopped trying to figure them out now all I do is make sure they are running and make sure each one is submitting shares.

Ferris thanks bro, so far you have the closest setup to me, I figured it out and FINALLY I got it going and I didnt have to do anything, all I did was go back to using my other version of Cgminer the one that does not have added blade feature... Not sure who messed that one up.. But DAMM now theree smokin they are reporting basically exactly what cgminer shows with offfcourse the pool hasrate variance... We all know how that works but I averaged it out and it now shows correct, Thank god... NOOOOW

I have to worry about the Cgminer crash thing that I used to get with the hubs like this, funny enough CGminer ONLY crashes when I am not using the laptop and I have it sitting doing nothing , display off etc..

I decided to take the all the LIB files from the much more better developed CGminer fork called Sgminer from my GPU days well I am still in the GPU days just have not as many as I did before.. Anyway hopefully with these libs it works good, I did notice the Lib files are bigger than the one that came with the gridseed cgminer.

But why do you think I get the LIB USB error GSD 0 write send fail -- thingo.. and then followed by a crash " CGminer is now closing BLA BLA BLA... I wonder why its only when the laptop is idle... I did check my power setting they seem fine USB Suspend is Disabled anything else I am missing?

And by the way your 100% about the WU they are weird nothing like they used to show with my GPU's All I care now is that these dont crash and I can get to work doing the volt mod.
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:43:55 AM

what version of windows?

This is all weird....

Cgminer shows a total         WU: of 4.5/m  

Right now I'm running 10 gridseeds through powered usb hubs with windows 7 cgminer. They are modded with the 49.9k mod at 1175mhz showing 5mh/s in cgminer and 3.5mh/s pool side. Not sure how acurate the pools really are because even when I was running GPUs the pool and cgminer both were always reporting different numbers.  I always have very low WU numbers but I do notice whichever miner has the highest WU number seems to submit the most shares. I don't know these things are weird if I only have 2 or 3 hooked up I have way higher WU but the more I add the lower it gets then they all usually stabilize around 0.5/m WU each. I stopped trying to figure them out now all I do is make sure they are running and make sure each one is submitting shares.

Ferris thanks bro, so far you have the closest setup to me, I figured it out and FINALLY I got it going and I didnt have to do anything, all I did was go back to using my other version of Cgminer the one that does not have added blade feature... Not sure who messed that one up.. But DAMM now theree smokin they are reporting basically exactly what cgminer shows with offfcourse the pool hasrate variance... We all know how that works but I averaged it out and it now shows correct, Thank god... NOOOOW

I have to worry about the Cgminer crash thing that I used to get with the hubs like this, funny enough CGminer ONLY crashes when I am not using the laptop and I have it sitting doing nothing , display off etc..

I decided to take the all the LIB files from the much more better developed CGminer fork called Sgminer from my GPU days well I am still in the GPU days just have not as many as I did before.. Anyway hopefully with these libs it works good, I did notice the Lib files are bigger than the one that came with the gridseed cgminer.

But why do you think I get the LIB USB error GSD 0 write send fail -- thingo.. and then followed by a crash " CGminer is now closing BLA BLA BLA... I wonder why its only when the laptop is idle... I did check my power setting they seem fine USB Suspend is Disabled anything else I am missing?

And by the way your 100% about the WU they are weird nothing like they used to show with my GPU's All I care now is that these dont crash and I can get to work doing the volt mod.

I am guessing that your laptop is trying to go to sleep (mode)...lol... Grin

No seriously...did you mention before that when you close the lid...cgminer is crashing immediately...?

Laptops are optimized to battery life...they are notorious to try to save energy in any way they can...

Check Power Options in Control Panel...and put to "High Performance"...Disable every option related to the power savings...HD, CPU, GPU...etc...

Last resort...change your setup to regular desktop...

Are your 26 Gridseed overclocked...Modded...what speed...?...what Wattage...?

26 * 20W = 520W ...Not enough to overload your 1200W PSU...but 10 per PCI-E connector...200W ...you are PUSHING it...IMHO...think about that...150W on 8-pin ...75W on 6-pin...specs...Capisco...?... Wink

I would use 1 more PCI_E connector...

ZiG

gtraah

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 06:07:56 AM

what version of windows?

This is all weird....

Cgminer shows a total         WU: of 4.5/m  

Right now I'm running 10 gridseeds through powered usb hubs with windows 7 cgminer. They are modded with the 49.9k mod at 1175mhz showing 5mh/s in cgminer and 3.5mh/s pool side. Not sure how acurate the pools really are because even when I was running GPUs the pool and cgminer both were always reporting different numbers.  I always have very low WU numbers but I do notice whichever miner has the highest WU number seems to submit the most shares. I don't know these things are weird if I only have 2 or 3 hooked up I have way higher WU but the more I add the lower it gets then they all usually stabilize around 0.5/m WU each. I stopped trying to figure them out now all I do is make sure they are running and make sure each one is submitting shares.

I am guessing that your laptop is trying to go to sleep (mode)...lol... Grin

No seriously...did you mention before that when you close the lid...cgminer is crashing immediately...?

Laptops are optimized to battery life...they are notorious to try to save energy in any way they can...

Check Power Options in Control Panel...and put to "High Performance"...Disable every option related to the power savings...HD, CPU, GPU...etc...

Last resort...change your setup to regular desktop...

Are your 26 Gridseed overclocked...Modded...what speed...?...what Wattage...?

26 * 20W = 520W ...Not enough to overload your 1200W PSU...but 10 per PCI-E connector...200W ...you are PUSHING it...IMHO...think about that...150W on 8-pin ...75W on 6-pin...specs...Capisco...?... Wink

I would use 1 more PCI_E connector...

ZiG

WHat happened before which I learnt how to overcome, Is if I close the LID with the Cgminer window open NOT minimized, Cgminer will crash once I re-open the lid, BUT if I minimise cgminer and then close the lid that seems to solve it lol... But yeh I was having other crashing problem when screen was open but computer idle.. Seems to have resolved now... I hope its for good so far almost 2 hours off Hard hashing

Yeh I dont beleive them specs Wink I did my own research hehee I beleive they will handle over 200 even the 6 PIN, Hashra states on there specs no more than 250w for the 6PIN x 10 Barrels .

Yes I will go put it to high performance but I changed the options before to say when lid closed do nothing, But maybe there is something else telling to do something behind my back, grr.. llol nah I will go change AHAAAA, Maybe its the Hard disk option I got it turning off after 20 minutes..

I have 2 x 1200w  2 x 1000w & 2 x 650w All Corsair Gold 80+

Do you think thats enough power? lol jk

I have many spares from gpu days... Well so far Cgminer looking great no LIBUSB Error and such I will let you all know how it goes...

No they are not overclocked I only have done 3 so far I was too busy trying to get these stabilized to worry about overclocking... Now that I thin they are stable I can start working on my volt mods... I have close around 40 Grids at the moment... So I have to mod quite abit grr... Speak soon guys back to the operation table
michelem
Legendary

Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 07:28:46 AM

I did the 49.9k resistor mod, but I'm having an issue:

For some reason, although the Gridseeds are running at 7.65 Mh/s collectively, I"m only getting around 3.6 Mh/s effective. It's like this no matter what pool I use. Is this normal, and if not, any idea on how I can fix it?

Can yopmeone join in here and tell what the actual problem is ?
I have to say that i face the same problem with the bfgminer.
On Ubuntu when i use cgminer, i have to restart cgminer very ofter as there plopps an libusb error. On BFGminer verything runs as it should but the effective hashrate is extremely lower...

Try the cpuminer in my signature, it should work without issues.

Hi @sandor111 I'm just trying your cpuminer fork for gridseed an it looks impressive! Very good job! (https://github.com/siklon/cpuminer-gc3355)

Do you know how to get some info from the API? I'm stuck trying to get something by telnetting the api port or using CURL but no way to get anything.

Thanks anyway

Get Minera. Your next bitcoin mining dashboard. Donations are welcome
CartmanSPC
Legendary

Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 08:16:56 AM

I LOVE that new build of cpuminer Sandor.  The gridseed I just got today and modded has individual cores sitting nicely at 1250Mhz, 1275MHz, and 1300MHz.
If you could manage to do a 'summary view' with data at the top like cgminer I think it would be absolutely perfect.  May as well call it Seedminer at that point too.

I'm working on a miner summary similar to what the pool dashboard looks like on LightningAsic firmware.

Great news sandor111! cgminer is a fork of cpuminer so you might want to look at some of their earlier changes for the TUI.

BTW, I tried compiling the latest version on Ubuntu but get an error:
Code:
sudo git clone git://github.com/siklon/cpuminer-gc3355.git
cd cpuminer-gc3355
sudo ./autogen.sh             <-error here

On a separate subject I just started trying this but I actually think it might be more profitable for me to dual mine since I pay a flat fee for electricity and am not close to my quota (16amps). Will post my findings if anyone is interested.

Try
Code:
chmod +x ./autogen.sh && ./autogen.sh

Thanks! That helped.

gtraah

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 09:51:33 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2014, 10:13:07 AM by gtraah

I have some info for people using cgminer and getting the LibUSB error GSD 6 failed bla bla...

Ok So everything was working awesome until I was working around the powerpoint and one of the hubs power was pretty loose and wobbly on the powerpoint... anyway I bumped it a little and what do you know I got the errors come up again... This made me look at the power adapter and I noticed something one of the power sticker says 1000ma 9v DC and this is not the wobbly one the wobbly one actually has a USA > AUS powerpoint adapter.. and this one says 2000ma 5v DC  Both say 50/60hrtz .... Now this is the same USB Hub only only bought from different place the one came with an AUS adapter and 1000ma 9v DC adapter and the other came with USA 2000ma 5v DC and I am using a converter...

Anyway I have secured the power point so its not so wobbly , lets see how it goes now

EDIT : I just realised all of them are 1000ma 5v except the 2 ..I mentioned above how strange.. I guess either of this power will work with it, all though the 2000ma 5v gets much hotter than the other one
Emu05

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 10:33:23 AM

Hi im going for the ZigMod but i have one question my local store just had 16kohm 1% 0,6w and 1kohm 1% 0,6w axial resistors can i use them in row to get the needed 17kohm ? or is there a problem with the 0, 6 w ? ZigMod says 0, 125w does that matter or will it be ok ?
darkfriend77

Activity: 434
Merit: 265

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 10:45:58 AM

anyone ... tryed to mod the blade already? ...

-:| www.DOTMog.com |:-
pauljbl

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 12:08:48 PM

On Sandor's cpuminer fork what is the command to set the individual freq of the 5 chips. Have found best freq with auto tune and want to set them permanently now.

Can anyone help

Thanks
Pages: « 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: