Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:54:23 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156980 times)
ZiG

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 04:22:36 PM

Is there an easy way to check the voltage on them?

I have a multimeter, would that work? if so where would you probe on the gridseed to test?

On my 2nd seed I modded, I used my 10x loupe and looked at it from the side and it looks like one of the pins on the resistor isnt flat so that is probably the issue on the 2nd seed. I hope its a simple fix on the 1st seed as well, cause it was hashing perfectly for 24 hrs and then decided to stop...

It's hard to push down on these microscopic resistors when your soldering lol... I am such a NOVICE.

The voltage, supplied to the Gridseed chips is easier to measure at C42... here marked in black   ...:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=519112.msg6359210#msg6359210

ZiG
anarchyx914

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 04:24:40 PM
Last edit: April 25, 2014, 04:34:59 PM by anarchyx914

I have a multimeter, would that work? if so where would you probe on the gridseed to test?

On my 2nd seed I modded, I used my 10x loupe and looked at it from the side and it looks like one of the pins on the resistor isnt flat so that is probably the issue on the 2nd seed. I hope its a simple fix on the 1st seed as well, cause it was hashing perfectly for 24 hrs and then decided to stop...

It's hard to push down on these microscopic resistors when your soldering lol... I am such a NOVICE.

The voltage, supplied to the Gridseed chips is easier to measure at C42... here marked in black   ...:

ZiG

Do you have to power the unit on to test the voltage, or can you do it un powered?  Dumb question, I know lol.
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 04:34:54 PM
Last edit: April 26, 2014, 03:10:19 AM by ZiG

The voltage, supplied to the Gridseed chips is easier to measure at C42... here marked in black   ...:

ZiG

Do you have to power the unit on to test the voltage, or can you do it un powered?  Dumb question, I know lol.

Also with my multimeter.. Would I just touch the black wire from my multimeter to the black fan fire for ground, and then touch the Red to the spot you circled.

I am just keeping my Ground on the 12 V input connector GROUND...Black...left screw...if you have screws type input...Otherwise the other end of C42 ...the marked with "-" ...outer one ...opposite side of C42 is the best...

Should be in the 1.20V to 1.75V or so RANGE...

Cheers,

ZiG
nst6563

Activity: 252
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 04:45:44 PM

ZiG

Do you have to power the unit on to test the voltage, or can you do it un powered?  Dumb question, I know lol.

Yes, you have to have it plugged in to test the voltage.
AnaSardinha

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:26:19 PM

Guys...don't be fooled...

You are replacing R139...27k with higher value...47k to 51k... NOT R52...

R52 is in the Feedback Loop of the Voltage regulator...

Refer to the schematics...

So I've ventured on my own into this mod, but in one of the gridseed I pulled out something I shouldn't, at C43 it seems, I've tried to understand the schematics to identify it but I'm failing, if possible a little help in identifying what is I need to buy and solder back in place.

Any suggestion really is appreciated.

Razorcoin : RHWYvxwYtymjxWnZLcHumxma84RDUGEUqq
gtraah

Activity: 420

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 05:52:12 PM

So far I have done 5 Gridseeds Vmod3 49.9k with some Mx-2 Arctic on top of the chips Now the miners are hashing at 510k and no HW errors, I think i know what was causing cgminer to play... its not the software if you see my temp setup I now have 28 Grids plugged in and they are all over the place cabling up , down , around, power going through, under around them , BIG MESS as  well as power being a bit loose but now good,, everything looks good hashing like machines!!! I also have 5 x 290x Cards hashin I will only have 4 by tomorrow , I will sell my final card from GPU days then build myself a quadfire 290x setup.

Anyways..... I still got quite a fair bit to mod, plus I have 10+ more grids to plug in... I will mod most of mine this weekend if not all that should give me more hashrate to the equivalent of buying an extra blade miner...

I dont know if I am not going to bother with r46 I am actually getting the hang of 139k smd 0402 replacement....

I think i may have wasted my money as I have 16.9kohm smd 0603 better and bigger size will fit nicely on r46 let me know if anyone wants ill let them go for what i bought them and ill post them to your door.

I think i may have modded all mine the original way before they arrive I wish I bought 49.9k 0603 size.... ahh well... I have yet to see someone simply unbridge r46 an chuck a 16.9/17k and freq at 1200 I would like to see local hashrate and see if its 510KH like the 49.9k r139k mod.

Guys there is one annoying thing wit  soldering iron , The solder doesnt stick to the iron, it used to in the beginning but now its like oil & water its like the solder trys to run away from the iron... I have tried damp sponge , even as much as shaving the point abit cleaning off all stuck dirt still no good, I hav used flux STILL no good, only thin g I can think of is "that this solder is shit  "

Any ideas?
amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 06:05:43 PM

Guys...don't be fooled...

You are replacing R139...27k with higher value...47k to 51k... NOT R52...

R52 is in the Feedback Loop of the Voltage regulator...

Refer to the schematics...

So I've ventured on my own into this mod, but in one of the gridseed I pulled out something I shouldn't, at C43 it seems, I've tried to understand the schematics to identify it but I'm failing, if possible a little help in identifying what is I need to buy and solder back in place.

Any suggestion really is appreciated.

no worries for the mod v3 which replaces the resistor NEXT to marking r52 - it isnt r52 btw its just good ref as it next to it - the c42 point is actually an open capacitor connection. the "piece" next to it is another resistor. unless you doing solder bridges - as describe back on page 1 of this thread - you have no worries, as it linked to the vid1, vid0. the mod we do replaces the resistor which corresponds to vid1 open and vid 0 open - the other allow a selction through closing off vid 1 and or vid 0.
Basically dont worry about it. the resistor next to r52 is the one you want the others 3 next to it are extra resistors which wiht modv3 are surplus and do nothing. on back on page 1 or 2 there is a photo showing the resistors labeled wiht there values if you want to replace it for any reason.

AnaSardinha

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 06:29:17 PM

no worries for the mod v3 which replaces the resistor NEXT to marking r52 - it isnt r52 btw its just good ref as it next to it - the c42 point is actually an open capacitor connection. the "piece" next to it is another resistor. unless you doing solder bridges - as describe back on page 1 of this thread - you have no worries, as it linked to the vid1, vid0. the mod we do replaces the resistor which corresponds to vid1 open and vid 0 open - the other allow a selction through closing off vid 1 and or vid 0.
Basically dont worry about it. the resistor next to r52 is the one you want the others 3 next to it are extra resistors which wiht modv3 are surplus and do nothing. on back on page 1 or 2 there is a photo showing the resistors labeled wiht there values if you want to replace it for any reason.

Thank you very much!!   \o/    You're a life saver.

Razorcoin : RHWYvxwYtymjxWnZLcHumxma84RDUGEUqq
anarchyx914

Activity: 338
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 07:14:04 PM

The voltage, supplied to the Gridseed chips is easier to measure at C42... here marked in black   ...:

ZiG

Do you have to power the unit on to test the voltage, or can you do it un powered?  Dumb question, I know lol.

Also with my multimeter.. Would I just touch the black wire from my multimeter to the black fan fire for ground, and then touch the Red to the spot you circled.

I am just keeping my Ground on the 12 V input connector GROUNG...Black...left screw...if you have screws type input...Otherwise the other end of C42 ...the marked with "-" ...outer one ...opposite side of C42 is the best...

Should be in the 1.20V to 1.75V or so RANGE...

Cheers,

ZiG

When checking with a multi-meter you would use DCV right not ACV? Also I assume you set it to the closest setting to what your measuring, in my case it would be DCV 2..

if this is correct, what I measured is about 1.6... but my unit will still not accept any shares... Any ideas??
Emu05

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 07:50:03 PM

Set it Back to stock mode (without the resistor) the clicking started again and sonounded bad if someone has a soluton for the problem the gridseed was put back together when i tested it so no pushing ore loose parts

Has anybody the same problem ? or a solution hope it is not the oszilator a mantioned ?

Also no bridge tested it with a multimeter
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 08:18:19 PM

So far I have done 5 Gridseeds Vmod3 49.9k with some Mx-2 Arctic on top of the chips Now the miners are hashing at 510k and no HW errors, I think i know what was causing cgminer to play... its not the software if you see my temp setup I now have 28 Grids plugged in and they are all over the place cabling up , down , around, power going through, under around them , BIG MESS as  well as power being a bit loose but now good,, everything looks good hashing like machines!!! I also have 5 x 290x Cards hashin I will only have 4 by tomorrow , I will sell my final card from GPU days then build myself a quadfire 290x setup.

Anyways..... I still got quite a fair bit to mod, plus I have 10+ more grids to plug in... I will mod most of mine this weekend if not all that should give me more hashrate to the equivalent of buying an extra blade miner...

I dont know if I am not going to bother with r46 I am actually getting the hang of 139k smd 0402 replacement....

I think i may have wasted my money as I have 16.9kohm smd 0603 better and bigger size will fit nicely on r46 let me know if anyone wants ill let them go for what i bought them and ill post them to your door.

I think i may have modded all mine the original way before they arrive I wish I bought 49.9k 0603 size.... ahh well... I have yet to see someone simply unbridge r46 an chuck a 16.9/17k and freq at 1200 I would like to see local hashrate and see if its 510KH like the 49.9k r139k mod.

Guys there is one annoying thing wit  soldering iron , The solder doesnt stick to the iron, it used to in the beginning but now its like oil & water its like the solder trys to run away from the iron... I have tried damp sponge , even as much as shaving the point abit cleaning off all stuck dirt still no good, I hav used flux STILL no good, only thin g I can think of is "that this solder is shit  "

Any ideas?
Depends on the material type. But, when you first use a new tip, it is recommended to warm it up to full temp, then tin it by letting the resin core solder melt and stick, then shake off the excess and it's ready to go.
IF you can't get this to work for some reason then the tip is either made of some sort of Teflon like material or you're doing something wrong. Wish I could help more.
Good luck!

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
nst6563

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 09:17:19 PM

Set it Back to stock mode (without the resistor) the clicking started again and sonounded bad if someone has a soluton for the problem the gridseed was put back together when i tested it so no pushing ore loose parts

Has anybody the same problem ? or a solution hope it is not the oszilator a mantioned ?

Also no bridge tested it with a multimeter

When my gridseeds clicked after a mod I simply re-did the solder joints and that resolved it.  Not sure if that will work for all or not, but it's a good place to start.  Also, I suppose it is possible to ruin a part by applying too much heat for too long while trying to solder it.  I've never run into this however.
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 09:19:58 PM

Support for individual chip frequency is added. It’s possible to run regular USB miners and G-Blades on a single instance, because the number of chips is now auto detected.
Binaries (Win, Rpi) have been updated.
I'm still working on a summary like cgminer, almost done, but it feels like I'm reinventing the wheel.

amix

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 09:38:46 PM

Any ideas?
Depends on the material type. But, when you first use a new tip, it is recommended to warm it up to full temp, then tin it by letting the resin core solder melt and stick, then shake off the excess and it's ready to go.
IF you can't get this to work for some reason then the tip is either made of some sort of Teflon like material or you're doing something wrong. Wish I could help more.
Good luck!
sounds like the soldering iron is too hot!
What temp are you using or what wattage iron. 30w should be good, temp control do about 230. make sure you have right size tip, too small and itll never transfer the heat evenly so the iron will stick, most people belive the iron not hot enough and get hotter or higher wattage which can burn up the boards/ componets etc.
nst6563

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 09:43:49 PM

Support for individual chip frequency is added. It’s possible to run regular USB miners and G-Blades on a single instance, because the number of chips is now auto detected.
I'm still working on a summary like cgminer, almost done, but it feels like I'm reinventing the wheel.

That's awesome.  I wish I knew how to code like that.  I write tools for my job and automation...but nothing like what's involved in a mining app.

Any other changes/enhancements coming?  JSON Config file and failover support?
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 09:50:08 PM

Sandor Rock,

we should all thank him and donate some BTC, I'll be doing it in a few days when I'm done trading some coins
pauljbl

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 10:19:26 PM

Santor I dont quite get the syntax on the settings for freq

--freq=850 --gc3355-freq=/dev/ttyACM0:900

Why is freq 850 used then 900

Thanks
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2014, 10:20:42 PM

Any ideas?
Good luck!
sounds like the soldering iron is too hot!
What temp are you using or what wattage iron. 30w should be good, temp control do about 230. make sure you have right size tip, too small and itll never transfer the heat evenly so the iron will stick, most people belive the iron not hot enough and get hotter or higher wattage which can burn up the boards/ componets etc.

Yep, that could do it too. Good tip there amex.... I've never had any such problem all these years so......  Grin

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
Ranma13

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 25, 2014, 11:32:17 PM

Thanks

--freq=850 is the setting the clock speed for all the Gridseeds.
--gc3355-freq=/dev/ttyACM0:900 is setting the clock speed for a specific Gridseed. If you have multiple, you can set them like so: =/dev/ttyACM0:900,/dev/ttyACM1:850,/dev/ttyACM2:950

You can use either. I don't know what'll happen if you use both though, presumably the --gc3355-freq is more specific and will override whatever is set on --freq. If this is the case, you can set a default clock speed for all the Gridseeds and override a few that need to be set differently.
sandor111

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2014, 12:08:33 AM

Thanks

--freq=850 is the setting the clock speed for all the Gridseeds.
--gc3355-freq=/dev/ttyACM0:900 is setting the clock speed for a specific Gridseed. If you have multiple, you can set them like so: =/dev/ttyACM0:900,/dev/ttyACM1:850,/dev/ttyACM2:950

You can use either. I don't know what'll happen if you use both though, presumably the --gc3355-freq is more specific and will override whatever is set on --freq. If this is the case, you can set a default clock speed for all the Gridseeds and override a few that need to be set differently.

And if you want to be more specific, you can set the frequency of a specific GC3355 chip:
Code:
 --gc3355-freq=/dev/ttyACM0:900,/dev/ttyACM0:875:4
-> that will set the frequency of chip 0-3 (0-3 & 5-39 for G-Blade) of the miner @ ttyACM0 to 900, and chip 4 will be set to 875.

Pages: « 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: