Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:03:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 64 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Habanero - 650GH/s - OOS  (Read 95984 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 09:27:43 PM

No, we're not buying wafers from HashFast.
So you are buying the asic. Yet you said that "Even the majority of the ASICs are not coming from HashFast". Something doesn't add up, please let me see it.
It's not that complicated, really. HashFast has been doing chip sales for awhile now. There are people who bought chips from HashFast and are making their own boards based on HashFast's reference design, but some are looking for people to mount those chips onto boards for them. It's also not exactly a secret that HashFast has been trying to convert people who have big orders for boards or systems to taking chips. For those people who choose to do that, they need someone to put chips onto boards or someone to sell chips to.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 09:31:39 PM

Ok so what you wanted to say is that you are taking "settlement" chips from your customers directly instead of buying it from HashCrap.

It wasn't clear at all.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
ZBC3

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:16:34 PM

Mr Teal,

Thanks again for being a kick ass developer! I can't wait to get my hands on the habenero.

hephaist0s

Activity: 711
Merit: 532

View Profile
May 01, 2014, 11:36:39 PM

Mr Teal,

Thanks again for being a kick ass developer! I can't wait to get my hands on the habenero.

Yes! My Chilis are my favorite miners, and have been mining flawlessly (and near-silent) for 6+ months. I am very excited about the Habanero!
*crosses fingers for a good price*

Tips graciously accepted on my behalf by Mr. Pig. | object2212.com | BTC:1H78y8FVeQrWY6KnxA6WLFQGUoajCuiMAu | ETH:0x3c1bC39EC7F3f6b26ACb6eeeEFe7dE2f486a72E9
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 03:30:14 AM

Interesting story, I was messing with my Antminer S2 trying to get it to work again (the SD Card just corrupted itself somehow), and after doing so I noticed that my Habanero had stopped hashing. Logged in and I saw that cgminer has crashed, so I reset the board and fired it back up.
The board shuts down again almost immediately, throwing a critical temperature error. Looking over at it, I notice the pump isn't running (must have bumped it while removing the S2 top), so I reseated the connector and fired it back up. Pops up and is running stable at 950MHz again.

So, from running full out at 720GH/s even with a pump failure the critical thermal shutdown safely stopped the hashing and protected the chip and board.
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 03:55:42 AM

Interesting story, I was messing with my Antminer S2 trying to get it to work again (the SD Card just corrupted itself somehow), and after doing so I noticed that my Habanero had stopped hashing. Logged in and I saw that cgminer has crashed, so I reset the board and fired it back up.
The board shuts down again almost immediately, throwing a critical temperature error. Looking over at it, I notice the pump isn't running (must have bumped it while removing the S2 top), so I reseated the connector and fired it back up. Pops up and is running stable at 950MHz again.

So, from running full out at 720GH/s even with a pump failure the critical thermal shutdown safely stopped the hashing and protected the chip and board.

...Which means you are doing a great job, ...MrTeal & company...!
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 06:12:14 AM

I should have some cool renders for you soon of the new backplate / heatsink assembly that will ship with the boards.
When dissipating the kind of heat that one of these chips can put out getting a lot of pressure on the cooler is very important. Unfortunately it's very hard to get those kind of pressures without warping the board using the stock backplates that ship with a heat sink or closed loop water cooler since they just don't support directly under the ASIC. Even using a piece of flat metal is difficult, as there are ~300 capacitors under the chip to ensure smooth voltage to the dies.

Our solution for the production boards was to shuffle those capacitors around, leaving a cross of flat PCB in the center of the chip. We then milled four pockets in the back plate under each die where the capacitors are, but left the meat of the backplate in that cross that runs through the center of the ASIC, so it bears right against the PCB. Voila, you can tighten down the cooler an insane amount, with no appreciable board flex.

In addition, rather than just make a backplate out of flat metal, we extended the area and made it out of aluminum heatsink. Not only do the fins add some extra rigidity, but the backplate/heatsink combination extends out to cover a big area of the ground and core voltage planes, helping to cool off the power supply components. The backplate is wide enough that it can mounted to the board with four #6-32 screws and a 105mm square hole spacing, which means if you're using a 120mm radiator like the H80i you can mount the radiator on standoffs to the backside of the board, or just install a 120mm fan blowing down on the heatsink to really keep the DC/DC stage cool.

The heatsink is also symmetrical, so if you use a case and your airflow is side to side instead of front to back, you can just rotate it 90 degrees to make sure you get the optimal flow over the heatsink.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:02:15 AM

The largest part of the board (the VRM) is based on an 8 phase capable TI digital controller chip compared the analog 4 phase chip used in the earlier HF boards or the 6 phase chip used in the new ones.

Four independent 6-phase Digital Voltage Regulators
Designed using a state-of-the-art Texas Instruments Digital voltage controller and best-in-class 60A-rated International Rectifier DrMOS outputs, the supply for each die has been designed and tested to output up to 300A. With very high efficiency in the normal operating range of 150-200A, they stay cool while still providing plenty of headroom for overclocking.

One of the two is wrong Smiley

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
xjack

Activity: 539
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:35:32 AM

Designed using a state-of-the-art Texas Instruments Digital voltage controller and best-in-class 60A-rated International Rectifier DrMOS outputs, the supply for each die has been designed and tested to output up to 300A. With very high efficiency in the normal operating range of 150-200A, they stay cool while still providing plenty of headroom for overclocking.

Why the nonstop trolling?  MrTeal has already established that he can turn lemons into lemonaide with the Chili, and you're trolling while he does it again with the Habenero.

Is it better for these chips to be tied up in court for a year?  If bankruptcy happens, do you think customers will get anything other than cents/$ or flat out burned?

You act as if MrTeal is liable for you being butthurt at hashfast and you're nitpicking every detail you can find to discredit him.

I applaud him for doing something that neither BFL or Hasfast can do - build and deliver a working miner in a reasonable timeframe.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:39:04 AM

I'm not trolling, it's a completely legitimate question. He claims that his board is different than the EVO because of a 8-phase regulator, while the shops lists a 6-phase one. So the shop (or the post) is wrong, i pointed it out so that he could correct it.

About HashCrap... I'm not getting into it if you don't mind, because that would be "trolling" and really derailing the thread.

xjack

Activity: 539

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 11:44:10 AM

I'm not trolling, it's a completely legitimate question. He claims that his board is different than the EVO because of a 8-phase regulator, while the shops lists a 6-phase one. So the shop (or the post) is wrong, i pointed it out so that he could correct it.

About HashCrap... I'm not getting into it if you don't mind, because that would be "trolling" and really derailing the thread.

Umm OK.  On this end of the internet your barrage of posts reads differently than it sounds in your head.

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 12:50:49 PM
Last edit: May 02, 2014, 01:10:09 PM by MrTeal

The largest part of the board (the VRM) is based on an 8 phase capable TI digital controller chip compared the analog 4 phase chip used in the earlier HF boards or the 6 phase chip used in the new ones.

That's because you are selectively highlighting hoping to prove some kind of lie. There is none - the chip we use is an 8 phase digital controller. We are using 6 phases in the design, so there are 6 phases on the board. It was highlighting that the chips are the heart of the VRM are completely different to counter your mistaken believe that the board is a clone of the Evo

I deleted your other off topic post just complaining about HashFast as it has nothing to do with Pepper Mining or the Habanero, and will start doing so with your posts going forward. It's pretty obvious that you don't really have any interest in the product or company outside of hoping that we fail because our board uses HashFast chips.
jimmothy

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 05:43:13 PM

Mr teal any plans on using chips from a reputable manufacturer like AM or spondoolies? You seem like a nice guy but it's a shame you chose to work with one of the scummiest companies.

Hell even avalon would be a better partner.
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 07:16:40 PM

Mr teal any plans on using chips from a reputable manufacturer like AM or spondoolies? You seem like a nice guy but it's a shame you chose to work with one of the scummiest companies.

Hell even avalon would be a better partner.
Nothing specific at this time, but going forward will we be definitely be looking to the future. We'll probably reassess early next month when things settle down, and see what the landscape looks like then.
gateway

Activity: 552

View Profile
May 02, 2014, 08:10:49 PM

The Shop is open for those interested in ordering spicy Habanero's! https://peppermining.com/shop/
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 01:22:13 AM

price is spicy ! without the cost of psu, cooling & shipping.  hope it can be more affordable & competitive.
Spotswood

Activity: 512

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2014, 03:34:17 AM

I should have some cool renders for you soon of the new backplate / heatsink assembly that will ship with the boards.
When dissipating the kind of heat that one of these chips can put out getting a lot of pressure on the cooler is very important. Unfortunately it's very hard to get those kind of pressures without warping the board using the stock backplates that ship with a heat sink or closed loop water cooler since they just don't support directly under the ASIC. Even using a piece of flat metal is difficult, as there are ~300 capacitors under the chip to ensure smooth voltage to the dies.

Our solution for the production boards was to shuffle those capacitors around, leaving a cross of flat PCB in the center of the chip. We then milled four pockets in the back plate under each die where the capacitors are, but left the meat of the backplate in that cross that runs through the center of the ASIC, so it bears right against the PCB. Voila, you can tighten down the cooler an insane amount, with no appreciable board flex.

In addition, rather than just make a backplate out of flat metal, we extended the area and made it out of aluminum heatsink. Not only do the fins add some extra rigidity, but the backplate/heatsink combination extends out to cover a big area of the ground and core voltage planes, helping to cool off the power supply components. The backplate is wide enough that it can mounted to the board with four #6-32 screws and a 105mm square hole spacing, which means if you're using a 120mm radiator like the H80i you can mount the radiator on standoffs to the backside of the board, or just install a 120mm fan blowing down on the heatsink to really keep the DC/DC stage cool.

The heatsink is also symmetrical, so if you use a case and your airflow is side to side instead of front to back, you can just rotate it 90 degrees to make sure you get the optimal flow over the heatsink.

Looking forward to the renders.   Wink

daemonfox

Activity: 630

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 03:45:53 AM

price is spicy ! without the cost of psu, cooling & shipping.  hope it can be more affordable & competitive.

$1500 Habanero
   $95 H80i http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Extreme-Performance-Liquid/dp/B009ZN03AA
  $170 Rosewill 1kW Gold 83A single 12v+ http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-CAPSTONE-1000-M-Continuous-Certified-Modular/dp/B00GMDENMA/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399087596&sr=1-3

Grand Total = ~700 GH/s for $1765 without controller

Same price as ~6 S1 Antminers
~$1500 = 6 X ~$250 (.55 BTC)
~  $240 = 6 X 500W EVGA PSU http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Certified-ATX12V-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399088255&sr=1-20

Grand Total = ~1100 GH/s for $1740 no controller needed

Yes the S1s pull double the power... but for 50%+ the hashrate in this pricing comparison.

They also have already been assembled so are stack-able, do not require CAT5 if you want to use the wireless and are also in stock now.

No offense MrTeal... I just agree that the Habanero missed its comparable price mark...

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
yslyung
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002

Mine Mine Mine

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 05:38:02 AM

price is spicy ! without the cost of psu, cooling & shipping.  hope it can be more affordable & competitive.

I think you forgot to add shipping for hanabero as S1 shipping is included for 0.55 btc.

same here no offense but really looking fwd to a more competitive price as I'm like others still holding on other purchase.

$1500 Habanero
   $95 H80i http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Series-Extreme-Performance-Liquid/dp/B009ZN03AA
  $170 Rosewill 1kW Gold 83A single 12v+ http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-CAPSTONE-1000-M-Continuous-Certified-Modular/dp/B00GMDENMA/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399087596&sr=1-3

Grand Total = ~700 GH/s for $1765 without controller

Same price as ~6 S1 Antminers
~$1500 = 6 X ~$250 (.55 BTC)
~  $240 = 6 X 500W EVGA PSU http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-80PLUS-Certified-ATX12V-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_20?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1399088255&sr=1-20

Grand Total = ~1100 GH/s for $1740 no controller needed

Yes the S1s pull double the power... but for 50%+ the hashrate in this pricing comparison.

They also have already been assembled so are stack-able, do not require CAT5 if you want to use the wireless and are also in stock now.

No offense MrTeal... I just agree that the Habanero missed its comparable price mark...
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2014, 07:20:48 AM

Looking forward to the renders.   Wink
LOL... So am I. I need to go poke the machinist to get me the Solidworks files.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 ... 64 »
  Print  

Jump to: