Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 01:38:15 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  
Author Topic: The Habanero - 650GH/s - OOS  (Read 95987 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
eightcylinders

Activity: 434
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:18:25 PM

Looking forward to see what you can do!  Also note the back-plate can get quite hot and depending on how much you push the board you might need to cool them a bit.

Well, I was thinking about that but I could not find any details about what the backplate looks like (size, placement, etc. for mounting some kind of cooling). 

Yes the Raystorm does support the LGA115x spacing.  FYI, on the peppermining.com site the cooling compatibility is listed as "standard 75mm Intel (lga 1366 socket b)" but in any case the Raystorm supports both.

My BTC Addres: 1PMEJCY6ofqmnAdYbdQqToZ7MNSAz35w7v
=>Buy the world's first hardware wallet.   Safer than paper and easier to use than smartphones.  If you use Bitcoin you need this: Buy Trezor!!
xjack

Activity: 539
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:48:11 PM

Just a quick update now that my miners are off the test bench and into a "production" environment.

Nepton 280L - one 140mm stock fan, one 125cfm screamer (Same fan as the S1 runs, except I clipped off the PWM/RPM wires).

These are running at ambient temp of 90F/33C.

A few notes:

My windows XP test bench squelches cores at anything over 90C.  My xubuntu 12.04 hasn't clocked a single squelch in nearly 24 hours.  Same cgminer version.

Someone mentioned above that you can go too tight/uneven on the cooling.  I chipped the corner of one die on my second unit - incidentally I got very lucky, since "Chip" doesn't show any performance detriment.

If anyone is posting their speeds and temps, can you please post the ambient temp as well?  It's hard to make operating comparisons without ambient temps.

These ran stable for 8 hours yesterday 900Mhz(675gh/s) at 100C.  If I can get the ambient temps down (or add another screamer fan), I'm sure I can push farther.  MrTeal, at what clock speed do these trend towards implosion?  Can you recommend an "ideal" operating speed(or temp) for 24/7 hashing?

Awesome boards, congratulations to you and your team for putting out a quality product!

xjack - 1xjackDMgJCLn1LDtbgh51DYw6uRgeHVb
Reputation thread - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=482124.0
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 03, 2014, 10:59:54 PM

Just a quick update now that my miners are off the test bench and into a "production" environment.

Nepton 280L - one 140mm stock fan, one 125cfm screamer (Same fan as the S1 runs, except I clipped off the PWM/RPM wires).

A few notes:

My windows XP test bench squelches cores at anything over 90C.  My xubuntu 12.04 hasn't clocked a single squelch in nearly 24 hours.  Same cgminer version.

Someone mentioned above that you can go too tight/uneven on the cooling.  I chipped the corner of one die on my second unit - incidentally I got very lucky, since "Chip" doesn't show any performance detriment.

If anyone is posting their speeds and temps, can you please post the ambient temp as well?  It's hard to make operating comparisons without ambient temps.

These ran stable for 8 hours yesterday 900Mhz(675gh/s) at 100C.  If I can get the ambient temps down (or add another screamer fan), I'm sure I can push farther.  MrTeal, at what clock speed do these trend towards implosion?  Can you recommend an "ideal" operating speed(or temp) for 24/7 hashing?

Awesome boards, congratulations to you and your team for putting out a quality product!

On the one I have with the Nepton 280L with high CFM fans I use the following command line arguments
cgminer.exe --hfa-temp-overheat 103 --hfa-fan 100 --hfa-hash-clock XXX --hfa-noshed --hfa-temp-target 0 --api-network --api-listen
Generally that board is topped out around 950MHz on one of the dies, but it's pretty chip specific.
Hashfast claims the chips can run quite hot (and recently changed the FW on their Evo boards to run them up to 110C, and I've never had an issue with a chip getting damaged due to thermals. The chip itself will shut down at 105C, so I set the limit a little below that so cgminer will lower clocks if it gets too hot.
gateway

Activity: 552

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:58:07 AM

Looking forward to see what you can do!  Also note the back-plate can get quite hot and depending on how much you push the board you might need to cool them a bit.

Well, I was thinking about that but I could not find any details about what the backplate looks like (size, placement, etc. for mounting some kind of cooling). 

Yes the Raystorm does support the LGA115x spacing.  FYI, on the peppermining.com site the cooling compatibility is listed as "standard 75mm Intel (lga 1366 socket b)" but in any case the Raystorm supports both.

gateway

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:02:40 AM

A few notes:

On the one I have with the Nepton 280L with high CFM fans I use the following command line arguments
cgminer.exe --hfa-temp-overheat 103 --hfa-fan 100 --hfa-hash-clock XXX --hfa-noshed --hfa-temp-target 0 --api-network --api-listen
Generally that board is topped out around 950MHz on one of the dies, but it's pretty chip specific.
Hashfast claims the chips can run quite hot (and recently changed the FW on their Evo boards to run them up to 110C, and I've never had an issue with a chip getting damaged due to thermals. The chip itself will shut down at 105C, so I set the limit a little below that so cgminer will lower clocks if it gets too hot.

Also at some point you need more voltage to push the boards.. we programmed them at .93, but you need a tool which we are trying to get HF to allow us to release which allows you to bump up the voltages because at some point Mhz wise the chip needs more power.  You can see this sometimes in the Pepper Mining app when you watch the die temps if every you see small dips randomly (not to be confused with a board clocking it self down or squelching a core).

I don't get you windows people Smiley j/k.. anyhow.. good to see things are up and running! keep that back plate cool or fans blowing air on the board as as well.
eightcylinders

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:09:58 AM

Thanks gateway, that helps.  Though I am not sure how I could run any further cooling on that plate given the indentations.  What is the plate size?  Can it be removed easily and replaced (assuming I could find a liquid cooling block big enough to replace it ..) 

=>Buy the world's first hardware wallet.   Safer than paper and easier to use than smartphones.  If you use Bitcoin you need this: Buy Trezor!!
xjack

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:13:33 AM

I don't get you windows people Smiley j/k.. anyhow.. good to see things are up and running! keep that back plate cool or fans blowing air on the board as as well.

Please note my reliable mining controllers are Linux based.   Cool

gateway

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:25:33 AM

Please note my reliable mining controllers are Linux based.   Cool

+1  Grin
eightcylinders

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:36:18 AM

Looking at the close-ups just posted, I see some interesting connectors on the board.  Are any of these "live" and usable? If so, details please!!!

• FAN2, FAN3 and FAN4 - are with these control PWM fans based on the chip temps?  Are there setpoints that can be software-configured in the firmware?
  • PUMP connection?  To control flow rate for liquid cooling pump??  Same questions as for fan controller re what the setpoints are and if live
  • Chain Down and Chain Up?  Obviously would need to solder a connector, but are these part of the circuit?  If "chained" would there be any benefit versus simply making separate USB connections?

jasemoney
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008

Forget-about-it

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 02:05:12 AM

Looking at the close-ups just posted, I see some interesting connectors on the board.  Are any of these "live" and usable? If so, details please!!!

• FAN2, FAN3 and FAN4 - are with these control PWM fans based on the chip temps?  Are there setpoints that can be software-configured in the firmware?
  • PUMP connection?  To control flow rate for liquid cooling pump??  Same questions as for fan controller re what the setpoints are and if live
  • Chain Down and Chain Up?  Obviously would need to solder a connector, but are these part of the circuit?  If "chained" would there be any benefit versus simply making separate USB connections?

i would be very interested if they could be chained...

$MAID & $BTC other than that some short hodls and some long held garbage.
nexus99
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 06:30:24 AM

Finally got my 2 units up and running. They blow up at anything faster than 550 mhz... so I need to put some tweaking time in.
QuiveringGibbage

Activity: 617
Merit: 543

http://idontALT.com

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2014, 09:01:12 AM

from my experience with the Sierra/BabyJets boards, it's much more efficient to mine to each board/chip individually so you can tune your settings to each chip's unique behaviour. whereas if you were to chain the boards, setting one freq will be the same across all boards you've chained together.

you can see what i mean here: http://imgur.com/a/94wo7
the first and last pictures are the cgminer stats from when the Sierra was mining as one (clock speed at 604MHz) and after i took it apart into 3 individual boards (550MHz, 656MHz & 666MHz).
note: the last pic's hash readings a little high... oddly...

Cheers,
QG

Bitcoin is at the tippity top of the mountain...but it's really only half way up.. Wink
ZBC3

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 12:14:26 PM

I took my h100i off the board to attach it like the picture and now it's not working , doh.

I'm getting a libusb error pipe, libusb not found error.

Hashfast detect failed to initialize incorrect device.

The device keeps adding and disabling the device with those previous errors.

I'm using minepeon  2.4.6 with cgminer 4.3.4.

faxfan2002

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:19:49 PM

What PSU's are people using?
nexus99
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:21:38 PM

I took my h100i off the board to attach it like the picture and now it's not working , doh.

Have you rebooted the Pi?
nexus99
Legendary

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:22:48 PM
Last edit: June 04, 2014, 02:11:00 PM by nexus99

I'm using a HP server PSU on one and a 1000 watt PC PSU from Rosewill on another. The HP is using a gigampz breakout card.
xjack

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:55:15 PM

I had a couple Corsair RM1000 leftover from another project.

If you have to buy PSUs, look at the sidehack breakout boards, they'll save you quite a bit of money.

ZBC3

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 01:57:25 PM

I even put the image on a new sd card and get the same results. I tried loosening the screws that are holding the pump on but nothing happened then either. My other Havanero works without issues on the same Pi.

The Pi also wants to recognize the device as black arrow and says the USB isn't programmed.

jasemoney
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1008

Forget-about-it

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:08:37 PM

from my experience with the Sierra/BabyJets boards, it's much more efficient to mine to each board/chip individually so you can tune your settings to each chip's unique behaviour. whereas if you were to chain the boards, setting one freq will be the same across all boards you've chained together.

you can see what i mean here: http://imgur.com/a/94wo7
the first and last pictures are the cgminer stats from when the Sierra was mining as one (clock speed at 604MHz) and after i took it apart into 3 individual boards (550MHz, 656MHz & 666MHz).
note: the last pic's hash readings a little high... oddly...

Cheers,
QG

Great pics, thanks for sharing.  And thats very interesting. 

$MAID & $BTC other than that some short hodls and some long held garbage.
btchedge

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2014, 04:55:25 PM

I had the same problem when I significantly re-routed the tubing. In my situation I clearly loosened the cooling head. Have you tried to the monitoring tool at a very low clock speed to make sure you have good contact? Reseating the cooling head, with the help of the tool fixed this for me.

Who is John Galt?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  

Jump to: