Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:11:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 725 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Spondoolies-Tech - carrier grade, data center ready mining rigs  (Read 1260006 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:06:48 PM

Its that noisy?
We're working to reduce fans and PSU fans speed. In ambient temperature of 20C, the unit should produce at least 1.4 TH/s with bearable noise level.
We're still tweaking the firmware.
In addition, we'll offer very competitive hosting plans. The customer will have full control over his/her unit and will be able to decide to ship it at anytime

Another question, are the fans being dynamically controlled by the FW? or can we manually adjust the fan speed?

I would like to have control of the fans regardless.... I actually dont mind the noise because i have my own mining room.
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:17:12 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 01:38:50 PM by dogie

Just getting some sun in Wink

But in all seriousness, turbo and 'normal' modes are way too loud edit: for now in a residential setting. The names are a bit misleading though and 'normal' is actually to run at a high ambient of 31C. Running 'normal' at normal room temp will get the same hash rates as turbo was designed to do. Working now at getting quiet mode even quieter (its the PSU which is very loud at the moment), but its promising. Also designing the real cooling mods which are looking promising at the moment - just want to get this PSU out of the way first.

adam3us

Activity: 404
Merit: 359

in bitcoin we trust

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:30:56 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/bankrupt-bitcoin-mining-company-alydian-sell-218ths-mining-power/

bankrupt cloud mining company Alydian attempting to offload 218TH of mining equipment.

Alydian's equipment efficiency and pricing is significantly worse than spondoolies for comparison.

Watch: $5k/TH vs $5k for 1.4TH.  Secondly 6kW per 1TH unit vs 1.25kW for 1.4TH (6.7x worse W/GH).  And 42U (whole rack??) vs 1.25U (47x worse density TH/rack?).  Me thinks alydian will have to reduce their price or no one will buy them.   6kW at $0.15/kWh is $650/mo plus 6kW worth of heat to disipate via cooling vs $97/mo (power per TH).   They would have to sell them at a significant discount for that to make sense in a mining calculator. (Less bad if your power is cheaper).

(Of course its easy to show poor results for several generations old equipment, but if Alydian actually want to sell them...)

Adam

(disclaimer I am a crypto consultant to spondoolies).

hashcash, committed transactions, homomorphic values, blind kdf; researching decentralization, scalability and fungibility/anonymity
mitak64

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:31:23 PM

Is it louder than a 1st gen Avalon ?
dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:41:13 PM

Is it louder than a 1st gen Avalon ?

In quiet, for now its about the same. The actual miner's fans are the same noise level as a few Antminers, but the PSU is crazily loud. Its way overcooling so they're going to figure out how to control it hopefully. Once the PSU gets sorted then it will be quieter than a gen 1 Avalon, louder than my cooling modded gen 1 Avalon but potentially the same noise level as an Antminer.

dogie
Legendary

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:44:02 PM

Watch: $5k/TH vs $5k for 1.4TH.  Secondly 6kW per 1TH unit vs 1.25kW for 1.4TH (6.7x worse W/GH).  And 42U (whole rack??) vs 1.25U (47x worse density TH/rack?).  Me thinks alydian will have to reduce their price or no one will buy them.   6kW at $0.15/kWh is $650/mo plus 6kW worth of heat to disipate via cooling vs $97/mo (power per TH).   They would have to sell them at a significant discount for that to make sense in a mining calculator. (Less bad if your power is cheaper).

Yikes, thats barely better than gen1.

Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1051

Spondoolies, Beam & DAGlabs

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:47:21 PM

Once the PSU gets sorted then it will be quieter than a gen 1 Avalon, louder than my cooling modded gen 1 Avalon but potentially the same noise level as an Antminer.
We're checking the PSU fans issue. If possible, we'll release firmware upgrade reducing the fans speed.
The PSU has a thermal sensor, so we might be able to have a control loop in firmware through the I2C.
WIP

New Mimblewimble implementation: https://www.beam.mw
Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:55:04 PM

So, Guy (Spondoolies-Tech CEO) has just dropped by to deliver my sample SP10 – Dawson unit.

Here are some photos of it in operation, right here in my living room:
Any way to measure the power consumption?
I'll try.
So, I measured the power consumption and it's about 1.3 KW.

Also, by putting it on silent and placing it in a structure I have outside of my home itself, the noise levels seem bearable. Might not work as well for people with less flexible real estate.

Its that noisy?

Even you leave it outside of the house can you can still hear it?
Pretty much. In said arrangement I don't hear it when in the upper floor of the house, which is where I spend most of my time so it looks like it may work after all. Keep in mind that these kind of things depend also on wall thickness, windows etc.

I'll run it on silent, I expect that otherwise the neighbors will complain about the noise.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
wpgdeez

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:56:14 PM

But in all seriousness, turbo and 'normal' modes are way too loud edit: for now in a residential setting. The names are a bit misleading though and 'normal' is actually to run at a high ambient of 31C. Running 'normal' at normal room temp will get the same hash rates as turbo was designed to do. Working now at getting quiet mode even quieter (its the PSU which is very loud at the moment), but its promising. Also designing the real cooling mods which are looking promising at the moment - just want to get this PSU out of the way first.

I don't know what sort of cooling mods you are going to do without putting it in something larger than a 1U enclosure. You need to dissipate the heat somehow. Just curious what sort of engineering background you have?
frisco

Activity: 176

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:09:58 PM

I presume the noise is related to the amount of heat being produced within a small area.   Maybe try adding a desk fan, see if noise relates to room temp
Adding fan won't help. Our recommendation will be to host in a data center. We'll provide easy way to configure remote access.
In addition, we'll offer competitive hosting plans from Mid April.

Umm so we can order a combo now and get it hosted at your facilities instead of shipping? I would be interested in that option if you can provide some estimation of hosting prices.
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 02:14:53 PM

Umm so we can order a combo now and get it hosted at your facilities instead of shipping? I would be interested in that option if you can provide some estimation of hosting prices.
Yes. We're finalizing the prices these days. Stay tuned, it will be less than KNC for sure.
In addition, you won't need to bare shipping + VAT where applicable.

Spondoolies is now part of Blockstream: https://blog.blockstream.com/en-blockstream-mining-builds-momentum-with-spondoolies-acquisition/
Kaspa is a POW cryptocurrencty which implements GhostDAG protocol: https://kaspanet.org/
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 02:25:29 PM

I'll run it on silent, I expect that otherwise the neighbors will complain about the noise.
Today is quite hot in Israel...
Will be fixed and pushed via OTA firmware upgrade.
The miner will able to select quite mode (including PSU fans)

Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:29:46 PM

Are you getting 1300 watt power draw?
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686

FUN > ROI

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:33:04 PM

I don't know what sort of cooling mods you are going to do without putting it in something larger than a 1U enclosure. You need to dissipate the heat somehow.
Not dogie (obviously), but I'd be interested in the other side and checking what's going on with the heat sinks.  If they're not chassis-mount, then I'd make them chassis-mount so our rack cooling could help cool them which in turn would mean less need for airflow.  In addition, given the line of 6 tiny and inherently noisy fans with a lot of dead space (between them, bodies, axle, etc.), I'd check if a cross flow fan would fit well.

It's great that it doesn't need special cooling - but if reducing noise is a goal, there's always aftermarket mods that can be done (and warranties to be voided).

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 02:40:06 PM

Today is quite hot in Israel...
Will be fixed and pushed via OTA firmware upgrade.
The miner will able to select quite mode (including PSU fans)
That's true, though "Summer is coming". Looking forward to upgrades that will mitigate the problem.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Felipeo

Activity: 476
Merit: 262

EOSABC

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:45:29 PM

Hello Spondoolies-Tec, welcome on market !

Are you will be selling bare chips for DIY miners?
(I will also drop you email with some exact question on info@)

BTW: Good job with designs and sale!

◆Telegram  ♠️ ♣️ ♥️ ♦️    www.eosabc.io   ♦️ ♣️ ♥️ ♠️  ◆Whitepaper
♠️   EOSABC redefine games with blockchain   ♠️
♥️  Win EOS on eosabc.io Everyday    ♥️
CroverNo

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:50:14 PM

Arrived pretty quick Dogie Smiley How much was customs charge to UK ?

Looking forward to the full review soon

Looks like a good bit of kit for my data center noise is not an issue I guess already loud with racks of Dell servers aha Smiley

But yeah running in these in your garage might arose the neighbors to think WTF is going on plus a high power usage police coming raiding in to find not what they were looking for aha can just picture this happening to someone.
SyRenity

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:08:34 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 04:22:07 PM by SyRenity

Happy that dogie got his unit so fast, and together with Meni, they finally proved to community that we are 100% legit! Smiley

We are looking to see another quality review from dogie soon, followed by other respected community members.
frisco

Activity: 176

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 04:44:31 PM

Yes. We're finalizing the prices these days. Stay tuned, it will be less than KNC for sure.
In addition, you won't need to bare shipping + VAT where applicable.

I wrote you a PM but I think you did not see it.

I already started a buy yesterday (not payed) for a bundle should I wait until you publish the hosted option or can I just go ahead and pay the previous order.
Guy Corem (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 05:21:34 PM

Regarding hosting:
You'll be able to order now and add the hosting option later.
The shipment cost will be credited towards the hosting.
Hosting will allow full control of your machine.
At any point, you may decide to terminate hosting and to ship the machine or just disconnect it.
If you'll decide to host, the burn-in tests will be to your wallet.

Only 6 bundles left for April + July
Go http://buyminer.io

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 725 »
  Print  

Jump to: