Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 108 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Operation Shitcoin Cleanout and Clean Up Has Begun- Join the Revolution- Re-open  (Read 176697 times)
marhaben

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:39:13 PM

allow coin devs to submit applications proving that their coin is legit.  The application can have a BTC fee associated with it.. to prevent attacks to their coin.

I believe that's called extortion, or racketeering depending on how you go about it.

I call it.. doing the public good.. keeping bad scam altcoins away from noobs and consumers.  

And who really pays? just some scammy altcoin devs that ought to put their money where their mouth is anyhow!

This is the EXACT reasoning the Mafia attempted to claim while demanding shop owners pay "protection." They claimed it kept ne'er do wells, and shops that didn't support the community out.

You're trying to profit off threatening people, and creating a wall to keep coins that may not have to investment capital to play your game out.

That's the definition of extortion, and you're not fooling anyone.

Besides, the Dev's wouldn't pay. They'd take up a collection and you'd be taking that money from other people, even if the coin WAS a scam.

You'd only be fucking over regular joes.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zackclark70
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

ADT developer

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:43:25 PM

allow coin devs to submit applications proving that their coin is legit.  The application can have a BTC fee associated with it.. to prevent attacks to their coin.

I believe that's called extortion, or racketeering depending on how you go about it.

These guys are already affecting innocent people !

Since they put ADT on the list there has been a notable amount of buy orders being removed and more people dumping there coins
its unacceptable to label a coin a scam and actively encourage people to dump there coins with the threat of attacking the coin without giving any evidence that the coin is a scam!

by all means kill the coins that are proven scams but don't destroy coins just because 1 person says there a scam !    

marhaben

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:44:23 PM

These guys are already affecting innocent people !

Since they put ADT on the list there has been a notable amount of buy orders being removed and more people dumping there coins
its unacceptable to label a coin a scam and actively encourage people to dump there coins with the threat of attacking the coin without giving any evidence that the coin is a scam!

by all means kill the coins that are proven scams but don't destroy coins just because 1 person says there a scam !    

They have members advocating outright extortion. This is pretty shitty.
zeroc00l

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:50:05 PM

This is the EXACT reasoning the Mafia attempted to claim while demanding shop owners pay "protection." They claimed it kept ne'er do wells, and shops that didn't support the community out.

You're trying to profit off threatening people, and creating a wall to keep coins that may not have to investment capital to play your game out.

Besides, the Dev's wouldn't pay. They'd take up a collection and you'd be taking that money from other people, even if the coin WAS a scam.

As was said many times: this is not real money, there are no real damages here.

This initiative would just be protecting community interest.  And you can't expect these guys to do it for free.  It's a lot of effort in hashes and multipools that needs to be run for this operation.

They need to recoup some of that somehow.  I mean BCX and others are great guys, and i'm sure they are well funded, and would be donating cycles.

But we can't just expect them to do this out of their kind hearts.  They should be compensated.  The best way to compensate is to get BTC from an application fee.  That is, if the alt coin dosen't want to get attacked.

marhaben

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:53:54 PM

As was said many times: this is not real money, there are no real damages here.

This initiative would just be protecting community interest.  And you can't expect these guys to do it for free.  It's a lot of effort in hashes and multipools that needs to be run for this operation.

They need to recoup some of that somehow.  I mean BCX and others are great guys, and i'm sure they are well funded, and would be donating cycles.

But we can't just expect them to do this out of their kind hearts.  They should be compensated.  The best way to compensate is to get BTC from an application fee.  That is, if the alt coin dosen't want to get attacked.

haha you are giving a text book definition of extortion. If you want to pay them for this "service," you can do so. If you tell someone else to pay for a service YOU want, by an implied threat? Extortion.

ex·tor·tion: the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority, taking property through implied or demonstrated use of force to damage one's standing.

For instance? The concept of this thread is stupid. I have no use for this "service." Just because YOU want it, doesn't mean you should force it on others by threat of attack (your words.)
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 10:53:59 PM

+1 to what Spoetnik said.

Lots of knee jerk reactions to what in essence we are talking about is cleaning up the scams.

i know we share a lot of the same views and i am trying to think of some ideas for a new coin that will help those existing problems.
in the mean time any kind of education we can give people i think is a good idea.. scammy-coin supporters think there is no harm in supporting them
or they bicker about the definition of support while me and you Kelsey sit back pretty much powerless watching new people and morons ruin what we had/have Sad

do we need to attack some coins ? i don't know really but i will point any hash power i got on them when we agree on a target lol
that won't solve the problem at it's core though we need to teach new people they can have trading skills that can earn them good money
and that does not require supporting bad coins.. you can make lots and still try hard to avoid the bad coins.. please don't take the Flash mining easy way out people.

and i am not against the freedom.. the freedom to make and post what ever.. i just think things have gotten way out of hand, to the point where the damage is over flowing all over.

The only thing that will stop all the scammy coins is if we can convince people to not flash mine every dumb coin that comes along.
how do we do that ? attacking coins is not a complete solution and making one that is superior is not a full solution either.
what i find encouraging is we ware talking about these issues and this topic is still on page one.
we need to talk.. priority number one !

anyway it may be an interesting development if Scrypt asics are being launched in a big way because that should shake things up combined with the frustration we see here on this topic..
i also like seeing older users come back and speak their mind rather than just leaving frustrated with the problems we are talking about.
and that is what it boils down to i think.. and that is, we are debating whether there is a problem or not. i said clearly we have a BIG problem on going.
and then others say there is no problem at all and everything is fine.. hopefully we can try and see each others side.. i DO see the freedom aspect guys and i too want it protected
but what do we do when abuse runs out of control ? and is it out of control ?

i hope the things i say are thought provoking and get people thinking that's all and maybe inspire a new coder to release a revolutionary new coin or something Smiley

FUD first & ask questions later™
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:04:26 PM

This thread degraded really quickly. And by degraded, I mean it went from suspect behavior to suggesting outright criminality.

We have the OP, who used to make shitcoins himself. Some still exist, so I guess you guys will go after coins the OP was part of, strangely. Then we have the fellow who ran OpenEx, which 'lost' a lot of its customer's bitcoins -- many consider him a scammer. So there is somewhat suspect morality in those who even brought this up to begin with. And suspect motives too.

Now we get extortion threats, which at first I assumed you were joking about.

If people really want to clean up shitcoins, make a blog, write articles, or post critical threads here on why you think certain coins may not be worth putting money into. This doesn't mean to troll or spam the threads with stupid memes or nonsense either. Or make your own coins, if you feel you can make something worthwhile. Again, the OP can make a coin, but whether it would be worthwhile is another question.

Instead people seem to be going the easy route: mob mentality, criminality, brute force, and destroying other coins. 
zanzibar

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:04:55 PM

I'm doing my part, I've started mining Nxt using hashrate.org  It mines the most profitable alts, sells them and then buys Nxt, which is then sent to me.  It will slowly kill some of these turd Alts.
marhaben

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:06:43 PM

Instead people seem to be going the easy route: mob mentality, criminality, brute force, and destroying other coins.  

Yep, this is a mix of vigilantism and organized crime, lead by an admitted con artist.

solid12345
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:07:48 PM

"I have here a list of known scam coins!"

Joe McCarthey all over again. 10 btc to create a coin? The ones behind this lame brain idea truly are delusional, most people don't even have more than 1 btc to their name and they expect developers to come up with this kind of cash?
marhaben

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:08:47 PM

"I have here a list of known scam coins!"

Joe McCarthey all over again. 10 btc to create a coin? The ones behind this lame brain idea truly are delusional, most people don't even have more than 1 btc to their name and they expect developers to come up with this kind of cash?

It crushes potential innovation through selfish brutality.
Zulandio

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:09:11 PM

What blows my mind is people have been getting robbed by society for your whole life. And you haven't lifted a figure I bet. What to make a difference stop buying gas. Leave your money out of banks, etc. What happens here isn't even effecting society negatively. How about you take your energy and passion and fight for a real cause not some make believe cause that you rationalize cause now your not cornering the ALT market and being able to make money easily. I bet you just want a few coins in the market that you already bought low and can make big money off if the market is thinned. There is no "Cause for Crypto" just more greedy SOB's trying to disguise their scam as doing good. And no different then the coins they claim are hurting people. People get ripped off everyday tons more then they do here. Go fix those problems odds are in the process this tiny problem will work it's self out.

Black hats do shit like this for their own personal gain. You want to fuck people by "Driving coins to 1 doge" Making them bag holders and taking their money. What a joke. The newest scam in Alto. OP SC. FFS
marhaben

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:10:43 PM

What blows my mind is people have been getting robbed by society for your whole life. And you haven't lifted a figure I bet. What to make a difference stop buying gas. Leave your money out of banks, etc. What happens here isn't even effecting society negatively. How about you take your energy and passion and fight for a real cause not some make believe cause that you rationalize cause now your not cornering the ALT market and being able to make money easily. I bet you just want a few coins in the market that you already bought low and can make big money off if the market is thinned. There is no "Cause for Crypto" just more greedy SOB's trying to disguise their scam as doing good. And no different then the coins they claim are hurting people. People get ripped off everyday tons more then they do here. Go fix those problems odds are in the process this tiny problem will work it's self out.

Black hats do shit like this for their own personal gain. You want to fuck people by "Driving coins to 1 doge" Making them bag holders and taking their money. What a joke. The newest scam in Alto. OP SC. FFS

They're alleging to fix a problem by creating a much larger problem. Extortion with a dash of racketeering.
moderndezigns

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:29:24 PM

I don't really think you guys need to attack coins or extort people. This is real money and doing these things will hurt real people. Not just the people pulling the scams but regular people that have invested hard earned money. Eventually and I'm sure it's coming soon if not already there will be exchanges that only take decent coins. Along with educational sites explaining common scams and ways that the small markets are manipulated. So for the time being I would advise everyone here that really isn't a jerk and truly wants to help people to just get the word out however you can about the scam coins and try to help any newcomers to the marketplace.
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:34:31 PM

I don't really think you guys need to attack coins or extort people. This is real money and doing these things will hurt real people. Not just the people pulling the scams but regular people that have invested hard earned money. Eventually and I'm sure it's coming soon if not already there will be exchanges that only take decent coins. Along with educational sites explaining common scams and ways that the small markets are manipulated. So for the time being I would advise everyone here that really isn't a jerk and truly wants to help people to just get the word out however you can about the scam coins and try to help any newcomers to the marketplace.

maybe they should start educating people about the good and bad points about each coin and let people decide for them self what they want to invest in

marhaben

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:37:53 PM

maybe they should start educating people about the good and bad points about each coin and let people decide for them self what they want to invest in

Except this is not an attempt to fix a problem, but to desaturate the market to help whatever coins the perpetrators have invested in. Considering the founder is an admitted conartist, and the participants advocate outright extortion.
zackclark70
Legendary

ADT developer

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:45:15 PM

Except this is not an attempt to fix a problem, but to desaturate the market to help whatever coins the perpetrators have invested in. Considering the founder is an admitted conartist, and the participants advocate outright extortion.

or there using this to devalue coins so they can but them cheaper

zeroc00l

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:05:57 AM

haha you are giving a text book definition of extortion. If you want to pay them for this "service," you can do so. If you tell someone else to pay for a service YOU want, by an implied threat? Extortion.

Hang on a sec.

If that's the definition of extortion, then the government has been extorting us since forever.  The SEC and organizations protect investors and people from being hurt by unscrupulous individuals.  Of course there's going to be a cost.

There's a fine line between extortion and public service.  This effort isn't just being launched by a bunch of noobs.  From what I can tell, we've got a group of standup senior members/hero members who would be organizing it.  I find it hard to believe that they would turn this into something that resembles extortion.  I don't think they would be putting up this effort if they are only in it for themselves.

Anyways, at the end of the day the key people that get hurt are scammy altcoin devs anyways.  So what if they lose some money and we take them, they're making much more in other ways I'm sure.

I would fully support this group taxing the entire altcoin community some amount so that we can maintain order.
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:15:43 AM

This effort isn't just being launched by a bunch of noobs.  From what I can tell, we've got a group of standup senior members/hero members who would be organizing it. 

These senior members you speak of are a shitcoin maker as well as someone who just 'lost' a bunch of bitcoins on his exchange that belonged to other people ... someone who many here consider a scammer. I wonder what your definition is of the word 'standup'.

What you are proposing is clear extortion. Either you are a troll and just playing with people, or are completely ignorant.
moderndezigns

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 01:22:56 AM

"I would fully support this group taxing the entire altcoin community some amount so that we can maintain order."  It looks like you're supporting your own ideas with a fresh new user account?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... 108 »
  Print  

Jump to: