Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:30:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  
Author Topic: BitcoinSpinner  (Read 55413 times)
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 02:54:16 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2012, 06:57:02 AM by Stephen Gornick

What is the difference between backup of the wallet (as a QR Code) and export private key (which is also a QR code)

I think I found a convenient way of backing up my wallet.

So after copying to clipboard, I launch my Pastee Droid app and paste the contents of the clipboard there.  I then set it to one hour expiration (TTL = 1 hour), and give it a password to encrypt it.   After it creates the secure paste on Pastee.org, I share the URL by sending a text message (to my Google Voice number, which I will archive).  

And that's it.  I now have a link for a URL that holds password-protected copy of my BitcoinSpinner wallet.

I then, from my desktop, took that copy of the wallet (from the URL) and added that to my KeePass. I suppose if I were a user of Lastpass that pasting the data there would work just fine as well.

Here's the Pastee Droid App:
 - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=byrne.utilities.pasteedroid

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hgmichna

Activity: 695
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 06:30:19 AM

So after copying to clipboard, I launch my Pastee Droid app and paste the contents of the clipboard there.  I then set it to one hour expiration (TTL = 1 hour), and give it a password to encrypt it.   After it creates the secure paste on Pastee.org, I share the URL by sending a text message (to my Google Voice number, which I will archive). 

And that's it.  I now have a link for a URL that holds password-protected copy of my BitcoinSpinner wallet.   I've added that to my KeePass from my desktop. I suppose if I were a user of Lastpass that pasting the data there would work just fine as well.

My opinion is that it is better to avoid putting such information on any public system. There is always the administrator leak, plus some other risks. Fortunately it is unnecessary. You can keep this information locally.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:02:57 PM

What is the difference between backup of the wallet (as a QR Code) and export private key (which is also a QR code)

Short answer:
The BCCAPI (which BitcoinSpinner is built on top of) allows you to create deterministic wallets using a strong seed. The stuff you backup/restore is the 256-bit seed that all keys are generated from. When you export a key you export an actual key generated from the seed.

The longer answer:
The BCCAPI server backend needs to know in advance which public keys to track in the block chain (this is a limitation imposed by the way the server backend is implemented  as it is built on top of BitcoinJ), so to do this it needs to know which set of keys are related to a given wallet.
To do that the BCCAPI manages two types of keys:
  • Wallet keys - Each wallet has one, and it allows you to add Bitcoin public keys to your wallet. This key is used when "logging in" to the BCCAPI server and makes sure that you are representing the wallet that you want to add keys to. This could have been done with a traditional username/password login, but there is really no need as we are already dealing with much stronger keys and have a place to store them.
  • Bitcoin keys - These are the traditional keys that you send/receive bitcoins with.
A wallet built on top of the BCCAPI has one 256-bit seed, and from that 1 wallet key is generated and one or more Bitcoin keys.
BitcoinSpinner currently only allows you to manage one Bitcoin key. This was a decision I made to make the app faster and simpler to use and manage.
So this means that BitcoinSpinner has one wallet key and one Bitcoin key. When you do a backup you backup the seed that allows you to generate those two keys again. When you do an export you only export the Bitcoin key.

So after copying to clipboard, I launch my Pastee Droid app and paste the contents of the clipboard there.  I then set it to one hour expiration (TTL = 1 hour), and give it a password to encrypt it.   After it creates the secure paste on Pastee.org, I share the URL by sending a text message (to my Google Voice number, which I will archive). 

And that's it.  I now have a link for a URL that holds password-protected copy of my BitcoinSpinner wallet.   I've added that to my KeePass from my desktop. I suppose if I were a user of Lastpass that pasting the data there would work just fine as well.

Clever. But have in mind that the password has to be really strong (ideally as strong as a 256 bit random string), and you have to remember it.
The first prototype of BitcoinSpinner actually based the seed on a password and salt. But I found it cumbersome and less secure, as people are inclined to enter short week passwords.

I do my backup like this:
1. Take a picture of the backup-QR code with my camera
2. Print it out on paper from my computer
3. Put the paper in an envelope

Having the backup QR-code on paper allows me to quickly switch between a savings and spending wallet.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 10:20:51 PM

I have a Kindle Fire and want to run BitcoinSpinner on it. It's not in the Amazon market.

I've searched for the .apk file and found one and was able to get it running but it's an older version of BitcoinSpinner.
Where can I find the .apk file for the latest version?
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 11, 2012, 11:08:05 PM

I have a Kindle Fire and want to run BitcoinSpinner on it. It's not in the Amazon market.

I've searched for the .apk file and found one and was able to get it running but it's an older version of BitcoinSpinner.
Oh, I didn't even know that you can run Android apps on the kindle.
I just uploaded the latest signed apk here: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoinspinner/downloads/list
Let me know whether it works.

ffe

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:38:22 AM

I just uploaded the latest signed apk here: http://code.google.com/p/bitcoinspinner/downloads/list

Worked great. Thanks.
ffe

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 05:45:57 AM

Worked great. Thanks.

Interesting note. The Kindle has no camera. I can export the kindle wallet to my android phone which does have a camera but I can't export my older phone wallet to the kindle since the only allowed input the app expects is from a camera (reading a QR code).

Oh well.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 06:31:03 AM

Worked great. Thanks.

Interesting note. The Kindle has no camera. I can export the kindle wallet to my android phone which does have a camera but I can't export my older phone wallet to the kindle since the only allowed input the app expects is from a camera (reading a QR code).

Oh well.
Right. You are not the only one who has asked for the ability for doing a restore based on text input. Adding this to my list.

hgmichna

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 08:14:18 AM
Last edit: July 12, 2012, 04:34:34 PM by hgmichna

As a temporary workaround, until BitcoinSpinner gets the function, you could use a QR code generator, like http://zxing.appspot.com/generator/ or one of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=qr-code-generator , hoping that its admin doesn't notice what is running through his system.

Fortunately it is unlikely that somebody looks at every text running through the generator, and it is also unlikely that somebody who does look at your string recognizes it as a wallet key.

Nonetheless you could move the bitcoins into a new wallet and abandon the old one as a precautionary measure.

Addendum: I overlooked that the above proposal does not solve the Kindle problem. I thought in the wrong direction. Please ignore, but make a note of the QR code generators. Sometimes they can be useful.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 03:28:17 PM

As a temporary workaround, until BitcoinSpinner gets the function, you could use a QR code generator, like http://zxing.appspot.com/generator/ or one of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=qr-code-generator , hoping that its admin doesn't notice what is running through his system.

Fortunately it is unlikely that somebody looks at every text running through the generator, and it is also unlikely that somebody who does look at your string recognizes it as a wallet key.

Nonetheless you could move the bitcoins into a new wallet and abandon the old one as a precautionary measure.

A QR-generating app for his Kindle might be a more secure option.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2012, 10:41:36 PM

Addendum: I overlooked that the above proposal does not solve the Kindle problem. I thought in the wrong direction. Please ignore, but make a note of the QR code generators. Sometimes they can be useful.
I think you misunderstood the problem. BitcoinSpinner on the Kindle can create QR-codes alright. No need to create the QR codes in an alternate app. However, it cannot scan them as it has no camera. Since the only way you can restore a backup is by scanning a QR-code you cannot restore a backup to the Kindle. that is, until I add a feature that allows you to paste in a backup string. You can already copy a backup string to the clipboard.

hgmichna

View Profile
July 13, 2012, 10:21:51 AM

I think you misunderstood the problem. BitcoinSpinner on the Kindle can create QR-codes alright. No need to create the QR codes in an alternate app. However, it cannot scan them as it has no camera. Since the only way you can restore a backup is by scanning a QR-code you cannot restore a backup to the Kindle. that is, until I add a feature that allows you to paste in a backup string. You can already copy a backup string to the clipboard.

Yes, I had already noticed my mistake. I also think that it would be good to be able to use simple text strings, rather than using the QR code detour, even if a device does have a camera.
westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 02:27:50 PM

Jan, I finally decided to double-check BitcoinSpinner's "Export Private Key" function; I'd been wondering about the problems people have been presenting with importing their keys. I also remembered having trouble importing my exported key into StrongCoin a while back.

BitcoinSpinner is NOT presenting a proper Sipa-format private key.

The string my wallet exports doesn't start with a "5;" in fact, the first character is actually a "9." I tried importing the string just as it was, and I tried importing it after prefixing a leading "5" to it. Neither form was recognized by bitaddress.org's code, nor were they recognized by Blockchain.info's wallet.  Replacing the leading character with a "5" resulted in a successful import and what seemed to be a legitimate address, but it was not the correct address for my wallet.

I'm running BS on a Motorola Droid X, Android version 2.3.4. I'm using BitcoinSpinner version 0.5.3b.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 03:03:19 PM

Jan, I finally decided to double-check BitcoinSpinner's "Export Private Key" function; I'd been wondering about the problems people have been presenting with importing their keys. I also remembered having trouble importing my exported key into StrongCoin a while back.

BitcoinSpinner is NOT presenting a proper Sipa-format private key.

The string my wallet exports doesn't start with a "5;" in fact, the first character is actually a "9." I tried importing the string just as it was, and I tried importing it after prefixing a leading "5" to it. Neither form was recognized by bitaddress.org's code, nor were they recognized by Blockchain.info's wallet.  Replacing the leading character with a "5" resulted in a successful import and what seemed to be a legitimate address, but it was not the correct address for my wallet.

I'm running BS on a Motorola Droid X, Android version 2.3.4. I'm using BitcoinSpinner version 0.5.3b.

Yes, you are right. Got a message from Puik, which basically says the same. I found the bug and it has just been fixed. I'll start the signing process, and send out an update.

In the meantime a workaround for the tech savvy is:
1. Base58 decode the string
2. replace the first byte with 0x80
3. Base58 encode the string

Details: When exporting private keys on the Sipa format you pre-pend the network used to the private key before base58 encoding it. 0x80 for production network and 0xEF for testnetwork. In Java there is a classic bug where you use the == operator instead of the equals operator. This means that you compare object instances rather than object content. Can't believe I fell for that. At the end of they day this means that you some times export the key on testnet format even if it was supposed to be for prodnet format.

Diff:
-      toEncode[0] = network == Network.productionNetwork ? (byte) 0x80 : (byte) 0xEF;
+      toEncode[0] = network.equals(Network.productionNetwork) ? (byte) 0x80 : (byte) 0xEF;

jago25_98

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000

Crypto Geek

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 05:02:34 PM

[/quote]

If anyone figured out the Wolframalpha syntax for this please post here

Glad to see I wasn't the only one :-)

Bitcoiner since the early days. Crypto YouTube Channel: Trading Nomads | Analyst | News Reporter | Bitcoin Hodler | Support Freedom of Speech!
Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 06:23:58 PM

If anyone figured out the Wolframalpha syntax for this please post here

Glad to see I wasn't the only one :-)
[/quote]
:-)
Fixed in version 0.7.1b which is available on Google Play.

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 08:51:28 PM

Is the bug that unconfirmed transactions doesn't appear in the BitcoinSpinner known? It still shows "0.000000000" for me, then suddenly the "confirmed" balance bump up.

I see that bug on two phones, HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire. It is pretty annoying, especially when I'm introducing someone to BitcoinSpinner Smiley.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 09:35:13 PM

Is the bug that unconfirmed transactions doesn't appear in the BitcoinSpinner known? It still shows "0.000000000" for me, then suddenly the "confirmed" balance bump up.

I see that bug on two phones, HTC Desire, HTC Wildfire. It is pretty annoying, especially when I'm introducing someone to BitcoinSpinner Smiley.
I have seen it myself two times, but last time I tried to debug the issue it didn't occur  Sad
I don't think that it is related to the phone, it must be something in the back-end.
I'll have to spend some more time nailing this one. Thanks for the report.

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 09:53:48 PM

Yes, I also remember that it worked few times for me, but now it happen to me everytime. If you want, PM me and I'll send you my keys so you can watch the logs.

Jan (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 06:27:44 AM

I have seen it myself two times, but last time I tried to debug the issue it didn't occur  Sad
I don't think that it is related to the phone, it must be something in the back-end.
I'll have to spend some more time nailing this one. Thanks for the report.

Found and fixed the bug on the server side. It turned out that this was only an issue when sending between two BitcoinSpinner wallets.
Basically this meant that you would only see the transaction on the receiving side once it was confirmed in a block, and not while it was a floating pending transaction.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 »
  Print  

Jump to: