Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:58:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightning Network Observer  (Read 13026 times)
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2022, 11:53:20 PM

Thanks for the help watching my pot boil... looks like by lunch tomorrow I should be looking at a full blockchain.

I'm still wondering what that Lightning progress is all about! Wink

I am tempted to make sure lnd and lightningd are NOT running before I hit the sack tonight.  I think I would rather turn those on then just see them pop on randomly and trigger a cascade of justice transactions.  I know the result could be the same... but I want to :

1.  Perform whatever on-chain analysis I can first.
2.  Make a solid eyes-open decision.
3.  Be the master of my fate... if I am gonna lose value I want to have done it by my own act of will! Wink
Sounds like a plan to me!

At this point I still do not know if either node will come back.  I have noodled around with the hsm_secret for ages looking at addresses derived from it, and they all come up blank.
It could just mean your channels haven't been force-closed yet. But you can easily check that using something like 1ml.com! Or https://amboss.space/. You enter your node ID and it shows you whether you lost any channels in the last few days.

And since then SEVERAL channels have been closed unilaterally by my partners, yet no value has ended up in that wallet.  I am hoping that the node has to do something to complete those multisig contracts?  Or the funds are still not unlocked?  The LND node, sadly has no chance of being restored... I just want to see all the funds go back.
Ohh that doesn't sound good. There are lock times and whatnot, but in my experience whenever I force closed a channel and waited for around a day, the money was back on the on-chain wallet.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4447

View Profile
June 17, 2022, 01:00:14 AM

It could just mean your channels haven't been force-closed yet. But you can easily check that using something like 1ml.com! Or https://amboss.space/. You enter your node ID and it shows you whether you lost any channels in the last few days.

shh dont shout it to the world, you will get years of hate from fangirls screaming and crying at you that LN is private, and that stat sites cant learn anything about LN users.

even worse you listed the sites (shame on you(sarcasm))

sites which show that there is a node that is the holder of 10% of the network capacity (>400btc of the 4,000btc) which al the fangirls were advertising as being a number that pretends to mean that LN is used by millions more small people than last year.. oops you definitely revealed to much
.. well seeing as you opened pandora's box
https://amboss.space/node/033d8656219478701227199cbd6f670335c8d408a92ae88b962c49d4dc0e83e025
>400btc.. but under 1000 channels. not all of them with funding derived from the user, majority is just the service offering inbound reserved balance to its partners (funds from the services own reserves)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 17, 2022, 12:23:13 PM
Merited by n0nce (1)

Thanks for the help watching my pot boil... looks like by lunch tomorrow I should be looking at a full blockchain.

I'm still wondering what that Lightning progress is all about! Wink

I am tempted to make sure lnd and lightningd are NOT running before I hit the sack tonight.  I think I would rather turn those on then just see them pop on randomly and trigger a cascade of justice transactions.  I know the result could be the same... but I want to :

1.  Perform whatever on-chain analysis I can first.
2.  Make a solid eyes-open decision.
3.  Be the master of my fate... if I am gonna lose value I want to have done it by my own act of will! Wink
Sounds like a plan to me!

At this point I still do not know if either node will come back.  I have noodled around with the hsm_secret for ages looking at addresses derived from it, and they all come up blank.

And since then SEVERAL channels have been closed unilaterally by my partners, yet no value has ended up in that wallet.  I am hoping that the node has to do something to complete those multisig contracts?  Or the funds are still not unlocked?  The LND node, sadly has no chance of being restored... I just want to see all the funds go back.
Ohh that doesn't sound good. There are lock times and whatnot, but in my experience whenever I force closed a channel and waited for around a day, the money was back on the on-chain wallet.

Right.  I have been doing lots of researching using 1ml and ambross... And I am not 100% sure that importing a HD wallet into Electrum shows an accurate representation of your funds as far as all of the choreography of channel closures go.  Most of my methods are hackery and I admit the way HTLCs are handled in lightning is kind of "black box" to me.  I get the overall gist, but know nothing of the intricacies of how they work.  I can see the most recent channel closures of my node.  This , for example is part of a recent channel closure where it looks to me, I am due part of the balance:

https://blockstream.info/tx/077c0bc0dcb2cbebc1773a1c8d169df6b1e1ce8bb85288312cb2ce01b675334b

What I see are three addresses involved in the closure... one with 100k sats (roughly) to a single sig sort of bitcoin address, and two others with ~500k sats each that have gone to longer multisig addresses.  I do not have enough data to know who was supposed to get what.  And I do not know why there is that third single sig address... maybe part of a reserve, not sure.

Most of this hackery and research has just been ways to try to peek into what is happening to my channels while my node is down and I do not have a full local copy of the blockchain yet.  But I am currently at 89.19%, and though it has seemed to be slower over the last 24 hours, I expect that SOME point today I will have the whole thing, and can hold my breath and start to see what I can see for reals.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2022, 01:18:34 PM

https://blockstream.info/tx/077c0bc0dcb2cbebc1773a1c8d169df6b1e1ce8bb85288312cb2ce01b675334b

What I see are three addresses involved in the closure... one with 100k sats (roughly) to a single sig sort of bitcoin address, and two others with ~500k sats each that have gone to longer multisig addresses.  I do not have enough data to know who was supposed to get what.  And I do not know why there is that third single sig address... maybe part of a reserve, not sure.

what happened to the PR campaign of LN people saying that LN is "your funds" and "your in control".
and "permissionless" seems your proving the opposite.
1. you dont know who suppose to get what
2. you dont know why there is a third address you didnt expect to see..
3. you were not sure if any of your channels were closed whereby someone else closed them instead of you
4. none of the destination addresses seem to be yours

i guess if none of the value went to an address you own.. then none of it is yours.
by seeing YOUR address listed as one of the destinations, ud know which one was meant for you. but i guess. you got none of it, hense you dont know who got what. thus you lost it all.

sorry to hear of your loss. but i guess its a lesson to learn that LN is not as certain as people think.

however on the bitcoin network. real proper bitcoin transactions made by a proper bitcoin wallet gives you all the control. YOU decide who gets what and you are in control of the destinations and amounts and only you can sign and get the transaction sent to be confirmed.

LN has more hurdles to attempt to climb over before its actually user ready, and the amount of flaws and the methodology the LN devs describe as work arounds, doesnt show great hope for LN success

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 17, 2022, 01:52:15 PM
Merited by n0nce (1)

what happened to the PR campaign of LN people saying that LN is "your funds" and "your in control".
and "permissionless" seems your proving the opposite.
1. you dont know who suppose to get what
2. you dont know why there is a third address you didnt expect to see..
3. you were not sure if any of your channels were closed whereby someone else closed them instead of you
4. none of the destination addresses seem to be yours

i guess if none of the value went to an address you own.. then none of it is yours.
by seeing YOUR address listed as one of the destinations, ud know which one was meant for you. but i guess. you got none of it, hense you dont know who got what. thus you lost it all.

sorry to hear of your loss. but i guess its a lesson to learn that LN is not as certain as people think.

however on the bitcoin network. real proper bitcoin transactions made by a proper bitcoin wallet gives you all the control. YOU decide who gets what and you are in control of the destinations and amounts and only you can sign and get the transaction sent to be confirmed.

LN has more hurdles to attempt to climb over before its actually user ready, and the amount of flaws and the methodology the LN devs describe as work arounds, doesnt show great hope for LN success

You are welcome to critisize my ignorance, but that is all that is on display here.  Following any bitcoin transaction is deceptively complex, particularly multi-sig transactions.  And the lightning implementations are complex, there is no doubt about that.

All of the trouble I am currently in is on ME, not the lightning network.  And I am learning that there are great safety devices built into both implementations I am using.

I am sharing my experiences here in spite of the fact it makes me look like a moron, but I do not agree with you that this reflects some kind of limitation with lightning.

Also, I think we have known from the beginning that building good UX/UI on top of these complex systems is an absolute necessity, and it is far from done yet.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 17, 2022, 02:22:50 PM

if you think the only flaw is the ui. then you have much to learn

its not a ui fault that destination funds are being allocated to yet another multisig meaning not sole custody funds. but another partnership.
its not the ui fault that funds between 2 people in a channel are being split into a third allocation.

even without a wallet display UI. people on bitcoin can just look at a raw tx or a web explorer of the blockchain and understand which funds belong to whom because they know which address is theirs.

if funds are going to multisig addresses then they are not going to YOU solely and fully your control.
thats not a UI error thats a function flaw.

i do actually hope you can find a way to dump your wallet keys into another wallet, so that you get to move funds into addresses that solely belong to you, and not have a situation of persistant issues where you fear the wrath of the fan girls and instead blame yourself for the issues of LN rather then admit LN is flawed, while still not being able to play with funds you hope are going to come your way at some point.

bitcoin came alive in 2009, and even in 2009 -10 people were not blaming themselves when they couldnt see or understand who owned what. because they knew who owned what. bitcoin just worked. LN is now 5 years old and still flawed and buggy.. and ontop not user friendly.. but the userfriendly is not the majority of flaws LN has.

dont try brushing the flaws under the rug and pretend they are of no consequence. especially where u are days away from even getting access to even see what belongs to you or not. or if after you get to see more if you even have access to funds you think are destined for you.

sklopan

Activity: 98
Merit: 2

View Profile
June 17, 2022, 09:08:05 PM

It seems to me that now it is very convenient for work. In my opinion, it can really be useful for work.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 18, 2022, 01:43:05 AM
Last edit: June 18, 2022, 12:50:37 PM by cAPSLOCK

Is bitcoin lightning still a thing?
I didn't really follow it since 2018/2019 but it seems it has gone nowhere.
Is it a wrong assumption?

A Central American country is using it as a major form of payment.

I have quit posting my screenshots of my progress indicator as not to junk up the thread... but boy it got slow in that last 10% like a Windows 95 progress bar.  The way we were going before I had expected we would be synced early yesterday.  But at this point I am just hoping it will be sometime today. 96.91%
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2022, 03:44:59 PM

NOPE
el salvador had lots of issues and bottlenecks and liquidity issues in late 2021 due to LN
.. now they are using a central exchange custodial model(alphapoint) to be the back-end of the chivo wallet

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 18, 2022, 05:52:54 PM

NOPE
el salvador had lots of issues and bottlenecks and liquidity issues in late 2021 due to LN
.. now they are using a central exchange custodial model(alphapoint) to be the back-end of the chivo wallet

Custodial nodes are more reliable because it is complex software and currently better managed by professionals.  This will always be true.  But the self custody solutions and light wallets are going to just get better and better.  I have said it many times.  Bitcoin is a revolution, not because you HAVE TO run it yourself, but because you can.  True for bitcoind, lightningd and lnd.

So you hate lightning.  I get it.  Why are you here?  Why not go somewhere where you can help scale bitcoin a way you think is right? 

It has to scale.  And the lightning protocol is the most trust minimized  decentralized attempt of scaling bitcoin out there yet.  Liquid is also a pretty interesting scaling layer that trades of SOME trust for certain advantages?  Maybe you should try that.  It is a LOT more like the regular Bitcoin workflow that you are more comfortable with.  Built on basically the same mechanics, adding some privacy and utility, and pegged to the base layer in arguable one of the safest trust distributed ways possible.  It's not lightning decentralization wise... but it's still good.  I would rather have big blocks there than on something like BCash.

Think you can do something better?  Well go do it.  Think we should just have bigger blocks?  Well those projects already exist too.

Seriously... why do you hang around here waving your balls at us all the time?
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 18, 2022, 08:58:07 PM

Oh great googly moogly: 
n0nce

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2022, 01:51:11 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2022, 02:06:06 AM by n0nce

shh dont shout it to the world, you will get years of hate from fangirls screaming and crying at you that LN is private, and that stat sites cant learn anything about LN users.
Oh no! Franky! Did I just expose Lightning? Shocked
In all seriousness; public Lightning channels are comparable to Bitcoin on-chain addresses. They're not anonymous, but they are pseudonymous. And the activity going on in those channels is - well - off-chain, so that's hidden, as well. But sure, if I know someone's node ID, I can look up who they have channels with and how much BTC is locked up in there. I don't think it's surprising or news to anyone.. Smiley

even worse you listed the sites (shame on you(sarcasm))

sites which show that there is a node that is the holder of 10% of the network capacity (>400btc of the 4,000btc) which al the fangirls were advertising as being a number that pretends to mean that LN is used by millions more small people than last year.. oops you definitely revealed to much
.. well seeing as you opened pandora's box
https://amboss.space/node/033d8656219478701227199cbd6f670335c8d408a92ae88b962c49d4dc0e83e025
>400btc.. but under 1000 channels. not all of them with funding derived from the user, majority is just the service offering inbound reserved balance to its partners (funds from the services own reserves)
I don't think people assume a high number of Lightning users, just because of the fact that large nodes exist. That would be a wrong conclusion, indeed. They probably estimate that through download numbers and such.
Anyhow; why do you emphasize 'fangirls' so much? Do you feel hatred against women?

~

You are welcome to critisize my ignorance, but that is all that is on display here.  Following any bitcoin transaction is deceptively complex, particularly multi-sig transactions.  And the lightning implementations are complex, there is no doubt about that.
Franky, cAPSLOCK is right here. I'd not call him ignorant, but his node went down, so the other nodes can take actions just like it's defined in the protocol. If he has no backups, they can cheat; it is true.
There are ways to remove uncertainty, such as maybe having a 'backup node' where you can import hsm_secret and channel state relatively quickly, or you could just choose longer timelocks for those channel closing transactions. That way there will be no rush to get your node back up very quickly. In any way, this doesn't mean that you don't own your coins when using Lightning or any of those implications you brought up.

It's not about UI; this is the protocol. It can be used with CLI, GUI, etc., so it's not the 'user interface' we're talking about here. It appears to me you got some stuff really wrong; maybe you should spin up a testnet Lightning node and play around with it.

Lightning Network has grown a lot since then, got some great improvements like static invoices and e.g. built-in backup functionality in Core Lightning. It also got a lot more usable as more and more merchants accept it. It's integrated in BTCPayServer, it's the main technology that businesses in ElSalvador use to receive Bitcoin payments and a bunch of exchanges now support cheap and fast Lightning deposits and withdrawals. It also makes them more private.

I have quit posting my screenshots of my progress indicator as not to junk up the thread... but boy it got slow in that last 10% like a Windows 95 progress bar.  The way we were going before I had expected we would be synced early yesterday.  But at this point I am just hoping it will be sometime today. 96.91%
Initial block download is always like this! Wink The first few years of the blockchain are downloaded and verified super fast due to empty blocks.

So you hate lightning.  I get it.  Why are you here?  Why not go somewhere where you can help scale bitcoin a way you think is right? 

It has to scale.  And the lightning protocol is the most trust minimized  decentralized attempt of scaling bitcoin out there yet.  Liquid is also a pretty interesting scaling layer that trades of SOME trust for certain advantages?  Maybe you should try that.  It is a LOT more like the regular Bitcoin workflow that you are more comfortable with.  Built on basically the same mechanics, adding some privacy and utility, and pegged to the base layer in arguable one of the safest trust distributed ways possible.  It's not lightning decentralization wise... but it's still good.  I would rather have big blocks there than on something like BCash.

Think you can do something better?  Well go do it.  Think we should just have bigger blocks?  Well those projects already exist too.

Seriously... why do you hang around here waving your balls at us all the time?
I still don't understand this either. There is even a dedicated 13-page thread where different users try to understand what's franky's mission / vision. From my understanding, franky believes bigger blocks are the solution, yet he doesn't want to switch to BCH. Why, is still unclear to me. This is off-topic for this thread, so if he or you want to discuss more about this, I guess that thread will be more appropriate.

Oh great googly moogly: 
Sooo what are the results? Wink Got everything back?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 19, 2022, 03:03:02 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2022, 03:29:15 AM by franky1

Oh no! Franky! Did I just expose Lightning? Shocked
In all seriousness; public Lightning channels are comparable to Bitcoin on-chain addresses. They're not anonymous, but they are pseudonymous. And the activity going on in those channels is - well - off-chain, so that's hidden, as well. But sure, if I know someone's node ID, I can look up who they have channels with and how much BTC is locked up in there. I don't think it's surprising or news to anyone.. Smiley

i wont repeat myself but you missed the whole point of the routing gossip and fake payment attempts to glean more info about available balance at any given second to then tally up when updates happens the routes taken and the balance change.. yea LN is more transparent than they promote. but glad your taking one step forward and call is pseudonymous rather than pretending that its all 100% private and no info can be gleaned from it.
LN is infact less private. because they name tag their channels/nodes. bitcoin addresses dont name tag their addresses by default

I don't think people assume a high number of Lightning users, just because of the fact that large nodes exist. That would be a wrong conclusion, indeed. They probably estimate that through download numbers and such.
Anyhow; why do you emphasize 'fangirls' so much? Do you feel hatred against women?
ill get to that point at the bottom of my post

~

You are welcome to critisize my ignorance, but that is all that is on display here.  Following any bitcoin transaction is deceptively complex, particularly multi-sig transactions.  And the lightning implementations are complex, there is no doubt about that.
Franky, cAPSLOCK is right here. I'd not call him ignorant, but his node went down, so the other nodes can take actions just like it's defined in the protocol. If he has no backups, they can cheat; it is true.
There are ways to remove uncertainty, such as maybe having a 'backup node' where you can import hsm_secret and channel state relatively quickly, or you could just choose longer timelocks for those channel closing transactions. That way there will be no rush to get your node back up very quickly. In any way, this doesn't mean that you don't own your coins when using Lightning or any of those implications you brought up.

firstly he called himself ignorance, and was blaming himself for the issues..
well if he has issues regaining some custody of funds just because he switched off his node.. that is a NODE flaw. not a human flaw.
bitcoin does not lose its keys/wallet when you close the wallet. people cant make moves against your funds if you just go to bed or turn your node off.. yet in LN they can!!!

having a risk that a competitor(partner) can take action and steal funds just because you turned off your computer or went to sleep is not a human flaw. its a protocol flaw

It's not about UI; this is the protocol. It can be used with CLI, GUI, etc., so it's not the 'user interface' we're talking about here. It appears to me you got some stuff really wrong; maybe you should spin up a testnet Lightning node and play around with it.
it wasnt me saying the flaw is in the UI. i was saying the flaw was in the protocol. it was capslock that was blaming himself and the UI,.. rather then blame the protocol..
yet its protocol flaws that make LN non viable for the utopian dream of offramping all bitcoin users to LN

Lightning Network has grown a lot since then, got some great improvements like static invoices and e.g. built-in backup functionality in Core Lightning.

"core" lightning.. ha, another buzzword/brand stealing attempt.. guess they didnt want to be original again
(oh dear blockstream(core brand owner) employee's how much i do laugh at you)

and dont get me started on the lightning observations i have of the flaws of the "core lightning" implementation(and many other LN implementations)

It also got a lot more usable as more and more merchants accept it.
 It's integrated in BTCPayServer, it's the main technology that businesses in ElSalvador use to receive LN payments and a bunch of exchanges now support cheap and fast Lightning deposits and withdrawals. It also makes them more private.

funny you should say that...
el salvador had massive issues with liquidity and bottlenecks of LN last year. and instead had decided to switch away from LN(strike) and use a custodial exchange that does the back-end of chivo and also handles the merchant tools(shopping cart)/exchanging.. yep go research "alphapoint"

I still don't understand this either. There is even a dedicated 13-page thread where different users try to understand what's franky's mission / vision. From my understanding, franky believes bigger blocks are the solution, yet he doesn't want to switch to BCH. Why, is still unclear to me. This is off-topic for this thread, so if he or you want to discuss more about this, I guess that thread will be more appropriate.

this topic is about lightning observing. and i am observing lightning.
YOU may think its a topic of "lightning admiration" or "lightning kiss-assing" and only admiration should be mentioned. but some people want to know the con's too not just the dreamy utopian pro's of fantasy and fake promises

also scaling bitcoin is not just about "bigger blocks" thats the silly propaganda story you fangirls like to push as bitcoins only solution to more usability on bitcoin network. there are many ways to increase bitcoin usability on the bitcoin network and reduce the transaction fee and also scale bitcoin..
but hey.. seems you are just going to be another fangirl that just follows the same scripts of other fan girls.. without thinking for yourself and having a response thats not a script i have heard before word for word..

and yes i say fan girls because the stereotype fits.
girls are more stereotypical followers of influencers. much more then women, men or boys.
(fangirls are even more 'influencer<->drone' follower stereotypical than a herd of cows)

if you cant tell the difference between a girl and a woman.. thats on you.
disliking the trend following social script repeating stereotypes of girls that are a fan of something. has nothing at all to do with hating woman.
try to learn the difference

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 19, 2022, 06:13:51 AM
Last edit: June 19, 2022, 06:41:19 AM by cAPSLOCK
Merited by DooMAD (2), n0nce (2), JayJuanGee (1)

*SNIP MOST OF HIS RANTING*

girls are more stereotypical followers of influencers. much more then women, men or boys.
(fangirls are even more 'influencer<->drone' follower stereotypical than a herd of cows)

disliking the trend following social script repeating stereotypes of girls that are a fan of something. has nothing at all to do with hating woman.

OK.  That's about enough of that.  I am fine with discussing what is negative about lightning.  Really.  But this asshole just rants and rants... but that last bit?  I think he might be a little off in the old think-bone.

I do not have all that many ignores on this site.  But I just added one new one.  I take some pride of being tolerant of all kinds of folks.  But that level of nonsense?  Don't have time for it.

Now... On to my topic of node recovery, which I appreciate you all listening to, and honestly I hope that MAYBE it would be useful to someone else.  I CERTAINLY would be a decent resource at this point for helping someone go through this ordeal with either LND or CL!  If someone is reading this and needs help, ping me.

CL node:
The CL node is back up, and running.  As if nothing happend, I think.  It is only missing 3 channels . Well two really since the third is my LND node. Lol.  That channel will not be coming back up.  The other two are "benthecarman" and "Rath [keysend]".  The latter is a forum member and posts in this thread.  Is your node just down?  The first one?  I dunno.  Anyone else have an active channel with him?

OK here is the freaky part of the whole thing.  I ran through all the restoration process, including decrypting/restoring the backup database.  When the node came back up about half the channels were connecting, but the other half were not.  Something seemed wrong.  When I went to look at the info for the node IT HAD THE WRONG PUBKEY!  Umm...  huh?  so I recreated the hsm_secret from the seed words (I had used one in a "rescue backup" originally).  After bouncing lightningd not only did I have the RIGHT pubkey, but most of the other channels connected right away.

This seems very lucky to me.  And I do not entirely understand what happened there.  I think it's safe to assume the pubkey in my backup file was the wrong one.  Totally possible. I was worried about this when I was restoring.  I think I went through the setup for the node a couple times, and I bet that as the first time. 

But how did the channel backup get restored?  I guess that the assumption that the hsm_secret has something to do with decrypting that is not the case?

And HOW ON EARTH did some of my channels come back up?!??!?  That part seems crazy.  And I feel lucky not to have set off alarms on my channel partners node.  The whole investigation was prompted by the fact that half my partner nodes were REFUSING connection. 

LND node

This node is in the process of rescanning the blockchain. 

Seems it is a slow process.  I see transactions up to 3/20 so as far as the LND node is concerned COVID has barely started. Wink  No channels are connected, and that is as expected.  I am assuming that after the blockchain is scanned all the way through the channel closing procedure will continue.  I am hopeful I will get all my bitcoin back.  This is a place where the low power SBC is a disadvantage... I think it has plenty of ability to keep up with the blockchain in real time. But rescanning this is going VERY slowly.

To be honest... both of these systems are more foolproof than I had thought.  I am definitely the fool here.  I mean it was nice from frankie to try to shift the blame over the lightning, but nah.  There are two things at fault here. A shitty SDD failure, and my lack of good preparation.  I am not being self effacing. I am a wizard of hackery, and I have done things that most folks would be screwed trying to do...  like figuring out the CL pubkey was wrong and fixing it manually.  BUT my lack of being serious about preparing the right backup strategies for the node was an abomination.  And kudos to each implementation AND Raspiblitz.

I will be making a donation to the Raspiblitz project.  For sure.

Anyway, thanks, all for the audience.  I will quiet down about this now. Smiley
AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
June 19, 2022, 09:53:55 AM

*SNIP MOST OF HIS RANTING*

OK.  That's about enough of that.  I am fine with discussing what is negative about lightning.  Really.  But this asshole just rants and rants... but that last bit?  I think he might be a little off in the old think-bone.

I do not have all that many ignores on this site.  But I just added one new one.  I take some pride of being tolerant of all kinds of folks.  But that level of nonsense?  Don't have time for it.

Now... On to my topic of node recovery, which I appreciate you all listening to, and honestly I hope that MAYBE it would be useful to someone else.  I CERTAINLY would be a decent resource at this point for helping someone go through this ordeal with either LND or CL!  If someone is reading this and needs help, ping me.

CL node:
The CL node is back up, and running.  As if nothing happend, I think.  It is only missing 3 channels . Well two really since the third is my LND node. Lol.  That channel will not be coming back up.  The other two are "benthecarman" and "Rath [keysend]".  The latter is a forum member and posts in this thread.  Is your node just down?  The first one?  I dunno.  Anyone else have an active channel with him?

OK here is the freaky part of the whole thing.  I ran through all the restoration process, including decrypting/restoring the backup database.  When the node came back up about half the channels were connecting, but the other half were not.  Something seemed wrong.  When I went to look at the info for the node IT HAD THE WRONG PUBKEY!  Umm...  huh?  so I recreated the hsm_secret from the seed words (I had used one in a "rescue backup" originally).  After bouncing lightningd not only did I have the RIGHT pubkey, but most of the other channels connected right away.

This seems very lucky to me.  And I do not entirely understand what happened there.  I think it's safe to assume the pubkey in my backup file was the wrong one.  Totally possible. I was worried about this when I was restoring.  I think I went through the setup for the node a couple times, and I bet that as the first time. 

But how did the channel backup get restored?  I guess that the assumption that the hsm_secret has something to do with decrypting that is not the case?

And HOW ON EARTH did some of my channels come back up?!??!?  That part seems crazy.  And I feel lucky not to have set off alarms on my channel partners node.  The whole investigation was prompted by the fact that half my partner nodes were REFUSING connection. 

LND node

This node is in the process of rescanning the blockchain. 

Seems it is a slow process.  I see transactions up to 3/20 so as far as the LND node is concerned COVID has barely started. Wink  No channels are connected, and that is as expected.  I am assuming that after the blockchain is scanned all the way through the channel closing procedure will continue.  I am hopeful I will get all my bitcoin back.  This is a place where the low power SBC is a disadvantage... I think it has plenty of ability to keep up with the blockchain in real time. But rescanning this is going VERY slowly.

To be honest... both of these systems are more foolproof than I had thought.  I am definitely the fool here.  I mean it was nice from frankie to try to shift the blame over the lightning, but nah.  There are two things at fault here. A shitty SDD failure, and my lack of good preparation.  I am not being self effacing. I am a wizard of hackery, and I have done things that most folks would be screwed trying to do...  like figuring out the CL pubkey was wrong and fixing it manually.  BUT my lack of being serious about preparing the right backup strategies for the node was an abomination.  And kudos to each implementation AND Raspiblitz.

I will be making a donation to the Raspiblitz project.  For sure.

Discussions with that Franky1 guy never head anywhere. later you will ignore him, because he has nothing to add to this and many other topics. He must be a very lonely guy.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2022, 01:31:55 AM
Last edit: June 20, 2022, 01:52:29 AM by franky1

maybe if you lot stop blaming yourself for the faults and pretending lightning is your jesus and saviour you might escape your philosophy of adoring a broken network

if LN is not working for you.. maybe wake up to the fact that its not working for you.. rather then blaming yourselves.
LN is code. it has no feelings you cant hurt it by calling out its flaws.

stop pretending its some utopian magic entity that will save you

[rhetorical question]
why do you all fear calling out its faults and flaws?.. im guessing its nepotism
(staying friendly with a little clique group of people, hoping to get a job out of it by sucking up to the boss)

thats my lightning network observation..

my other lightning network observation which no one talks about or wants to warn people of
when people first get into LN or want to fund LN
first they need to move funds into their LN node. (before making a channel).
and then when finding a partner to make the channels, it is requiring another blockchain move between a node created key and a channel created key(multisig)
thats 2tx's just to set up.. atleast(could be more if your seting up many channels on different days)
then when closing session of a channel. the node is not asking for a key from a bitcoin core/proper bitcoin wallet address. but the key created by a LN nodes. by which the node would prefer you to then send funds back into a new channel.

to actually pay some random person outside of LN. usually requires actually making a second move out..
because trying to put a non LN node/channel derived key as an output inside a channel, many LN node software dont like, because you cant make the revoke or reveal the revokes of such if using a native bitcoin address.

yep most LN software prefer only multisigs/addresses derived from a seed made from the keys of the channel/node to be used as outputs because thats the parts of the channel rules when the partner checks that the balance and who deserves what is done. because they want to ensure that the next 'state' will be able to reveal a revoke of the current signed state should the sessions continue

.. in short. getting in and out of LN usually costs 2 transaction atleast to get in and 2 transactions atleast to get out

but hey. thats the thing. they want you to jump in without all the info.. and once you are in. then realise the cost to get out. and then instead of getting out. find a way to stay in with as least cost as you can. until you have spent all your funds within LN and just leave with nothing left

n0nce

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2022, 12:42:04 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2022, 01:02:50 PM by n0nce
Merited by fillippone (7), JayJuanGee (1), tadamichi (1)

LN is infact less private. because they name tag their channels/nodes. bitcoin addresses dont name tag their addresses by default
That's a good point; yes. I don't think you can name tag channels, but you can name tag nodes and I'd advice against that. Otherwise I could find your node by your username and see who you have channels with and now much balance is in there. It would still be extremely hard to find out when, to whom and how much you transact in those channels, but the information that is easy to gather may already be too much for many people's privacy standards.

firstly he called himself ignorance, and was blaming himself for the issues..
well if he has issues regaining some custody of funds just because he switched off his node.. that is a NODE flaw. not a human flaw.
The issue wasn't switching it off, but not having / not being certain about your backups. Compare it to someone running Bitcoin Core and not having backed up their private keys. Do you blame Bitcoin Core for that? Let's go a step further: Bitcoin Core has no easy to write down seed phrase backups; would you blame it on Bitcoin Core if someone lost their funds due to a hardware failure of their Core node?

bitcoin does not lose its keys/wallet when you close the wallet. people cant make moves against your funds if you just go to bed or turn your node off.. yet in LN they can!!!
That's correct; but keep in mind this was about a hardware failure.
Also keep in mind, nobody ever claimed Lightning to be 'as good' in everything as Bitcoin Core. You do have some tradeoffs (e.g. in caution / backups / ..), for the benefits you get (speed, costs). It kind of makes sense; you gain some, lose some. You can't have everything.. Wink

having a risk that a competitor(partner) can take action and steal funds just because you turned off your computer or went to sleep is not a human flaw. its a protocol flaw
Not a flaw; a design necessary to achieve the goals an off-chain system wants to achieve. And this point can be relativized; if you know you're going to turn your node off for extended periods of time often, you can set a longer lock time and reduce this risk by 99.9999%.

this topic is about lightning observing. and i am observing lightning.
YOU may think its a topic of "lightning admiration" or "lightning kiss-assing" and only admiration should be mentioned. but some people want to know the con's too not just the dreamy utopian pro's of fantasy and fake promises
It's good that people know the 'cons', nothing against that - in fact, I continued the conversation with cAPSLOCK about his node restoring troubles for a whole page or more; giving this issue visibility. Just stick to the facts and don't overblow the 'downsides' on Lightning while ignoring the same 'downsides' (e.g. needing a backup) in Bitcoin Core.

also scaling bitcoin is not just about "bigger blocks" thats the silly propaganda story you fangirls like to push as bitcoins only solution to more usability on bitcoin network. there are many ways to increase bitcoin usability on the bitcoin network and reduce the transaction fee and also scale bitcoin..
but hey.. seems you are just going to be another fangirl that just follows the same scripts of other fan girls.. without thinking for yourself and having a response thats not a script i have heard before word for word..
I never propagated that; it's just what I heard you say in the past (that blocks should be larger). What else do you propose? You just vaguely mention 'many ways', but don't say which ones they are. If they exist and are viable, why don't you write a thread about all of these great ways, with their upsides and downsides where we can discuss them and maybe write a PoC for Bitcoin Core or whatever other software? Just saying 'they exist' doesn't help anyone because these ideas won't come to fruition if you don't elaborate on them.

Oh that sounds very misogynous. Maybe you haven't, but I've known a lot of great women; older and younger ones, great minds, no 'drone followers' at all. I've definitely known tons of men being like that, though. Just type in 'Elon Musk' on Twitter search and look at thousands if not millions of middle-aged men following that guy like a god, eating up every word he says as if it's absolute truth. If that's not a drone-follower, I don't know what is.

I'll definitely refer people to you if they have such issues in the future.. Wink

CL node:
This sounds awesome! I do have a node with @Rath (@'ing him apparently notifies him, as his profile states), and it regularly goes offline for a bit; I guess his internet connection isn't great. I just checked and right now it's actually online.

Interesting; so using the hsm_secret file gave a wrong pubkey, but using the seed words resulted in the right one? Difference in amount of channels connecting or not connecting after pubkey change might be implementation-specific (either some running outdated versions or running LND vs CLN).

I've never heard of hsm_secret encrypting the channel backups; in my memory it's just the secret / entropy (basically for anything on-chain).

My bet would be on outdated nodes and / or LND vs CLN difference. But yes, it should probably set off red lights if someone switches their public key, I guess.. Cheesy

There are two things at fault here. A shitty SDD failure, and my lack of good preparation.
Did the SSD spontaneously die? Usually I'd advise for whole system / drive backups, but in case of Lightning, using the backup plugin (or what's now built-in) makes more sense, since it initiates a backup every time there's a channel-state update, which is what matters most. If your latest backup doesn't include one channel's latest update, you can get into trouble.

Thanks for all the updates! Gave great insights; I only had such issues and failures / no backup, etc. in Lightning's 'reckless' phase and on Testnet which is multiple years back now, so memory gets a bit blurry. It's refreshing to see how the current state of Lightning is when it comes to failures and backup restore process.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 21, 2022, 04:25:35 AM
Last edit: June 21, 2022, 04:40:52 AM by cAPSLOCK
Merited by n0nce (4), JayJuanGee (1)

There are two things at fault here. A shitty SDD failure, and my lack of good preparation.
Did the SSD spontaneously die? Usually I'd advise for whole system / drive backups, but in case of Lightning, using the backup plugin (or what's now built-in) makes more sense, since it initiates a backup every time there's a channel-state update, which is what matters most. If your latest backup doesn't include one channel's latest update, you can get into trouble.

Yep.  The SSD failed.  First drive of this type I had go tits up on me.  Ah well.  I am actually going to replace it with a teeny little raid setup to solve that problem...  But I wonder if that will mean my house is destined to burn down? Smiley

https://www.newegg.com/startech-s352bu313r-enclosure/p/N82E16817707429

Anyway, thanks, all for the audience.  I will quiet down about this now. Smiley
Thanks for all the updates! Gave great insights; I only had such issues and failures / no backup, etc. in Lightning's 'reckless' phase and on Testnet which is multiple years back now, so memory gets a bit blurry. It's refreshing to see how the current state of Lightning is when it comes to failures and backup restore process.

I ran a node on testnet too... I ended up (recklessly) graduating to main net with the node I created... OK this is embarrasing but I will tell you the story.  It is one of the most convoluted things I have ever done.  And I generally try to keep things simple.

I built the node as a a docker container.  First thing I had ever done with docker.  And I ran it on this NAS device I originally bought to backup my family's files and be a sort of TV server.  I have NO IDEA why I thought this was a good idea.  Maybe I was drunk.  But I ran it for a LONG time before finally retiring it.  I still have those seed words.  Because I am unable to delete.  I suppose I am a bit of a hoarder.

This was one of the reasons I had problems with this recovery.  The backup files I have with all the seeds have EVERY SEED I have used along the way...  And nothing is well marked.  Well after THIS ordeal I have recreated the file and included ONLY the two keys I need.

Live and learn...

Oh and one other thing...  This is for FRANKIE.  Sadly I will not see any responces as he is ignored. Lol.

All my errors, and poor backup hygiene?  And yet this well made software made it possible for me to recover everything.  A non trivial amount of money really. ALL OF IT back under my control.   Both major implementations have advantages.  CL has a better backup system (if it works) but LND is more foolproof.

I think they would do well to both use the same basic approach...  LND should add a live database backup (as well as a plugin system IMHO and while we are at it why not consider making the plugins cross compatible?) , and CL should add the ability to store Static Channel Backups.  Two different strategies that will make both nodes pretty damn bulletproof.
RussianEnglishTranslation

Activity: 840
Merit: 6

View Profile
June 22, 2022, 04:49:37 PM

What is the argument for Lightning when people can use decentralized networks with integrated, pegged or wrapped Bitcoin on chains like like ICP and Ethereum?
n0nce

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2022, 05:01:46 PM

Nobody really answered. Lightning looks dicey. I still give it the benefit of the doubt. We shall see...

Lightning Network has grown a lot since then, got some great improvements like static invoices and e.g. built-in backup functionality in Core Lightning. It also got a lot more usable as more and more merchants accept it. It's integrated in BTCPayServer, it's the main technology that businesses in ElSalvador use to receive Bitcoin payments and a bunch of exchanges now support cheap and fast Lightning deposits and withdrawals. It also makes them more private.

In the post right above yours cAPSLOCK describes how he successfully recovered 2/2 badly backed up / cared for Lightning nodes and restored all the funds after days of those nodes being disconnected from the network. Doesn't look too dicy for me. The benefits? Daily transactions of any size, with good privacy, without having to bother with coin control. Small fees, instant transfers. It's a pretty cool system.

What is the argument for Lightning when people can use decentralized networks with integrated, pegged or wrapped Bitcoin on chains like like ICP and Ethereum?
Well, what's the point of using wrapped Bitcoin on Ethereum if ETH fees are higher than Bitcoin? Maybe faster block time. But the general issue of pegged / wrapped is that this peg can always disappear. The 'wrap' is just a promise, an IOU. You don't actually own and use Bitcoin if you use those. If I have 1wBTC and want to pay someone in Bitcoin, I can't. Because I just have an IOU which has the value of 1BTC; not a real Bitcoin.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: