Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:36:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH  (Read 22222 times)
acoleman

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 19, 2021, 03:23:15 PM

If anyone here has an Pi4B with these setup, would you please reply with how many units you have running, at what Mhz, and what your CPU usage is?

I'm trying to determine how many I can run on a Pi4B.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Powell

Activity: 486
Merit: 262

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
November 19, 2021, 03:36:39 PM

If anyone here has an Pi4B with these setup, would you please reply with how many units you have running, at what Mhz, and what your CPU usage is?

Thanks

I have 2x @ 550MHz on my Pi4B (8gig version).  CGminer is running between 19-22% CPU usage. 
CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 19, 2021, 03:57:38 PM

Just wanted to share a project I have been working on.  The stand is designed and printed by me.  For air flow I have the radiator fan blowing down onto the miners and a fan on the back blowing across the miners.  Everything is powered by a 700w server power supply from Parallel Miners.  I am using the Alphacool MCX ram water blocks to cool the ASIC chips.  The water block clamp was designed and printed by me.  I am using a Raspberry Pi4 with 8gig Ram running 64bit Ubuntu Mate.  I have ordered another one of sidehack's USB hubs and plan to add either my 6 2Pacs or some more Newpac's if I can get them.  I am able to run the fans at a low RPM so the rig is very quite.

The hottest temp I can find on the back of 3 CompacF's is between 35c & 39c.
The hottest temp I can find on the back of the 6 Newpac's is between 39c & 43c.
None of the miner boards are hot to the touch.

I sure hope sidehack does another batch of the CompacF's.  I would love to get some more of them. 

Thank you sidehack for the work that you do.

This is an awesome setup! I still have stock if you are looking for more.
https://asicpuppy.com/magentoPuppy/index.php/gekko-usb-300gh-s.html

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
gt_addict

Activity: 2492
Merit: 621

View Profile
November 19, 2021, 06:57:48 PM

Thanks

I've got 6 running at 520M and CPU usage is around 15-20%. Fluctuates more than the old Newpacs but well within reason.

**SUPPORT SIDEHACK** Miner Development Donations to:  1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr

Donations/Tips to:-   1GTADDicTXD1uachKKgW24DZDxDGhSMdRa

Join Bitconnect: https://bitconnect.co/?ref=gtaddict
acoleman

View Profile
November 19, 2021, 08:21:32 PM

I have 2x @ 550MHz on my Pi4B (8gig version).  CGminer is running between 19-22% CPU usage. 

I've got 6 running at 520M and CPU usage is around 15-20%. Fluctuates more than the old Newpacs but well within reason.

Interesting that the CPU usage doesn't seem to be scaling up that much (unlike on windows).  I'm hoping to be able to get 10+ on a single pi (with multiple powered USB hubs).   So this gives me hope.  Pi is stuck in shipping.

Thanks for the replies!
Powell

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
November 20, 2021, 12:57:50 PM

Awesome!  Ordered more from ya!  Smiley
Powell

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
November 20, 2021, 04:51:21 PM

Anyone have any Gekkoscience USB Hubs still?  Need mooo power (with out having to stack crappy hubs lol).
jeyzeus

Activity: 70
Merit: 35

View Profile
November 20, 2021, 05:51:42 PM

Thanks

12 no issues all over 300 GH/s
bigdaddymccarron

Activity: 71
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 21, 2021, 11:07:14 PM

Just wanted to share a project I have been working on.  The stand is designed and printed by me.  For air flow I have the radiator fan blowing down onto the miners and a fan on the back blowing across the miners.  Everything is powered by a 700w server power supply from Parallel Miners.  I am using the Alphacool MCX ram water blocks to cool the ASIC chips.  The water block clamp was designed and printed by me.  I am using a Raspberry Pi4 with 8gig Ram running 64bit Ubuntu Mate.  I have ordered another one of sidehack's USB hubs and plan to add either my 6 2Pacs or some more Newpac's if I can get them.  I am able to run the fans at a low RPM so the rig is very quite.

The hottest temp I can find on the back of 3 CompacF's is between 35c & 39c.
The hottest temp I can find on the back of the 6 Newpac's is between 39c & 43c.
None of the miner boards are hot to the touch.

I sure hope sidehack does another batch of the CompacF's.  I would love to get some more of them.  

Thank you sidehack for the work that you do.

Wow.  This is awesome!  The amount of work that you put into this is admirable.  With some sexy lighting that would be an amazing functional display piece.  How are the noise levels with that radiator fan?  Is it basically quiet?  What amounts are you generating with that?

I must say, you don't see people doing cool things like this with water blocks very often.  Maybe you could get working on a submersible version next to really push those things to the limit.  Smiley  Thanks for sharing this.  Great work.

Now that I have the water blocks working 100% the Noctua fans are running at low RPM and keeping the water cool enough to maintain the temps on the chips between 35c to 45c depending on how much voltage I have the individual sticks set for. Hardly notice that the fans are running.  The 3 CompacF's run around 1TH at 520mhz.  The 6 Newpac's run around 654GH; I could probably push these a little harder but they seem happy so I will just leave them at 500mhz.
Sledge0001

Activity: 582
Merit: 149

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2021, 06:56:57 PM

Just ordered a bunch from you this past weekend!
acoleman

View Profile
November 23, 2021, 12:11:44 AM

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.  I've spent some time today trying to get like 20 of these working on a Pi4. 

PSA for others wanting to scale up on the Pi platform, while the CPU usage is low there appears to be a limit of around 12 devices on the USB 3 ports (including any hubs you have).  So I'll have to run 2 Pi4 units to take advantage of the power savings vs. trying to run so many of these on windows (which uses tons of power / cpu and generates heat).
jeyzeus

View Profile
November 23, 2021, 04:24:52 PM

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.  I've spent some time today trying to get like 20 of these working on a Pi4. 

PSA for others wanting to scale up on the Pi platform, while the CPU usage is low there appears to be a limit of around 12 devices on the USB 3 ports (including any hubs you have).  So I'll have to run 2 Pi4 units to take advantage of the power savings vs. trying to run so many of these on windows (which uses tons of power / cpu and generates heat).

Thanks

Pi4 might be overkill for it if you're trying to save a couple bucks. You can probably get away with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ which is a bit cheaper and just SSH into it. I haven't tested 12+ sticks on mine yet but i think it should handle it no problem. I have a Pi 3B+ Model A that i'll try out and report back on.

Well a compacF is around 5 or more times the speed of the older NewPacs.

So one compacF needs the same work generated and written to USB as about 5 NewPacs

i dunno if it's 100% the higher hash rate. Obviously don't know anything about the actual code but i think there might be some sort of USB input limit on the Pi's. A while back I tried running like 20 Newpacs off 1 Pi and wasn't able to. Even if I maxxed em out, i still think that's 2-2.6 TH. I'm getting like 3.5-3.9 TH/s off 12 Compac F's.
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5828

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2021, 04:38:58 PM

So one compacF needs the same work generated and written to USB as about 5 NewPacs
Don't these stick miners check diff, if needed generate a new nonce and re-hash all by themselves?
Do they simply get data and send back a SHA-256 hash of it instead?
I always thought having the block generation done by the host would be way too much communication overhead and that all miners just had a small MCU on them which recreates a new block candidate.

That way, communication would only be a new block template with previous block hash and a set of transactions when needed, but not a communication round for each and every single attempt / hash.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 23, 2021, 05:37:54 PM

Pi4 might be overkill for it if you're trying to save a couple bucks. You can probably get away with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ which is a bit cheaper and just SSH into it. I haven't tested 12+ sticks on mine yet but i think it should handle it no problem. I have a Pi 3B+ Model A that i'll try out and report back on.ting like 3.5-3.9 TH/s off 12 Compac F's.

When the R606's came out I tried the Pi 3b and had terrible performance with it.  I moved up to the Pi 4 and that works great.
Just my $0.02 worth.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
jeyzeus

View Profile
November 23, 2021, 10:16:47 PM

Pi4 might be overkill for it if you're trying to save a couple bucks. You can probably get away with a Raspberry Pi 3B+ which is a bit cheaper and just SSH into it. I haven't tested 12+ sticks on mine yet but i think it should handle it no problem. I have a Pi 3B+ Model A that i'll try out and report back on.ting like 3.5-3.9 TH/s off 12 Compac F's.

When the R606's came out I tried the Pi 3b and had terrible performance with it.  I moved up to the Pi 4 and that works great.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Was it the 3B or the 3B+? Not sure if there's much of a difference spec wise but I am running 2 R606's with 5 Compac F's & 2 newpacs on my 3B+ at my family's house with no issues. every once in a while (like once or twice a week) one of the R606's stops hashing and you just need to plug/unplug the USB from the Pi but otherwise it runs smooth. Pushing like 3.5 TH/s there on a headless Pi.

Roughly have the R606s @ 800-1000 GH/s
Compac F's @ ~300GH/s
Newpacs @ ~100 GH/s
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
November 23, 2021, 10:23:48 PM
Last edit: November 24, 2021, 01:31:14 AM by kano

Don't these stick miners check diff, if needed generate a new nonce and re-hash all by themselves?
Do they simply get data and send back a SHA-256 hash of it instead?
I always thought having the block generation done by the host would be way too much communication overhead and that all miners just had a small MCU on them which recreates a new block candidate.

That way, communication would only be a new block template with previous block hash and a set of transactions when needed, but not a communication round for each and every single attempt / hash.
It simply sends hashable work to the chip itself - called a midstate - that can be hashed 4 billion times.

Pool sends a stratum work base with the merkle slice, no transactions, and not the full merkle tree (about 1350 Bytes).
Miner 'generates' a coinbase transaction and then builds a block header.
Miner hashes that to a midstate, then sends that to the chips. (Edit: this is the USB step)

Transactions have nothing effectively to do with stratum, since that's way too much network and way too much overhead.
With transactions, the data per work change would be between 2MB and 8MB
This was called 'GBT' years ago and no one used it for the obvious reason, miners can't handle that much data and work,
and no one ever implemented a transaction selection on top of that - that only produces a biased network, which is a very bad idea.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 12:32:46 AM
Last edit: November 24, 2021, 02:38:38 PM by os2sam

When the R606's came out I tried the Pi 3b and had terrible performance with it.  I moved up to the Pi 4 and that works great.
Just my $0.02 worth.

Was it the 3B or the 3B+? Not sure if there's much of a difference spec wise but I am running 2 R606's with 5 Compac F's & 2 newpacs on my 3B+ at my family's house with no issues. every once in a while (like once or twice a week) one of the R606's stops hashing and you just need to plug/unplug the USB from the Pi but otherwise it runs smooth. Pushing like 3.5 TH/s there on a headless Pi.

Roughly have the R606s @ 800-1000 GH/s
Compac F's @ ~300GH/s
Newpacs @ ~100 GH/s

Can't remember which mine was for sure, but I think it was a 3B.  It was very unreliable.  The Pi 4 was always stable and never had to reboot, unless the power bounced.  Glad you have good luck with yours.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
bigdaddymccarron

Activity: 71
Merit: 16

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 01:14:26 PM

It simply sends hashable work to the chip itself - called a midstate - that can be hashed 4 billion times.

Pool sends a stratum work base with the merkle slice, no transactions, and not the full merkle tree (about 1350 Bytes).
Miner 'generates' a coinbase transaction and then builds a block header.
Miner hashes that to a midstate, then sends that to the chips. (Edit: this is the USB step)

Transactions have nothing effectively to do with stratum, since that's way too much network and way too much overhead.
With transactions, the data per work change would be between 2MB and 8MB
This was called 'GBT' years ago and no one used it for the obvious reason, miners can't handle that much data and work,
and no one ever implemented a transaction selection on top of that - that only produces a biased network, which is a very bad idea.

Kano,

Can you point to any documentation on how BTC pool mining actually works?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2542

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 02:25:18 PM

Kano,
Can you point to any documentation on how BTC pool mining actually works?
Well you could just check out the help area on his pool... Start at https://kano.is/index.php?k=mining

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
KingTin

Activity: 19
Merit: 3

View Profile
November 24, 2021, 06:30:48 PM

Hi guys,

Would like to ask if it's ok to use a raspberry pi running bitcoin/lightning node, and connect the USB miners (with bitcoin merch USB hub) to it?
or is it recommended to have a separate raspberry pi for the miners?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: