Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:06:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH  (Read 22185 times)
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 24, 2022, 05:17:53 PM

With that many ports, it's likely you have two distinct USB controllers in the machine. If you connect one hub to each controller, they won't be fighting each other for bandwidth. When we test at the factory, we got a bunch of machines with 6 ports in the back, 4 on one controller and 2 on another (shared with the 2 up front) so we connect one hub to each bus and let 'em eat their fill.

Also, performance on Windows is gonna suck more than *nix anyway just because of how Windows handles traffic.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5814

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2022, 05:51:21 PM

Also, performance on Windows is gonna suck more than *nix anyway just because of how Windows handles traffic.
I recommend anyone who just doesn't have anything other than a single Windows machine, to run a VM and pass the sticks through. Tried it once and worked pretty well. Now mine run on their own Pi.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elsupreme

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 24, 2022, 06:07:55 PM
Last edit: February 24, 2022, 06:29:24 PM by elsupreme

With that many ports, it's likely you have two distinct USB controllers in the machine. If you connect one hub to each controller, they won't be fighting each other for bandwidth. When we test at the factory, we got a bunch of machines with 6 ports in the back, 4 on one controller and 2 on another (shared with the 2 up front) so we connect one hub to each bus and let 'em eat their fill.

I still have other Miner hubs to setup, so is connecting them all to a single 7-port USB hub attached to a PC gonna work ?
elsupreme

View Profile
February 24, 2022, 06:29:00 PM

I recommend anyone who just doesn't have anything other than a single Windows machine, to run a VM and pass the sticks through. Tried it once and worked pretty well. Now mine run on their own Pi.

Will fire up my VM and test . thanks
elsupreme

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 03:24:34 PM

I'm still not getting any luck with this ..  Tried the VMs , no luck ..

I'm curious to know how everyone else who has upto 2 or more hubs connect and maintain a set frequency..

Do i need to tweak something ? 

Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 04:14:52 PM

I'm curious to know how everyone else who has upto 2 or more hubs connect and maintain a set frequency..

Not sure if I missed you saying it, but what hubs are you using?

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
elsupreme

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 04:53:34 PM

Not sure if I missed you saying it, but what hubs are you using?

I'm using the Sipolar Hubs..
Biffa
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 05:39:35 PM

1A per USB port may not be enough to run them at 500

The Sidehack USB hub provides up to 6A per port (shared between two ports)

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
n0nce

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2022, 05:41:14 PM

No, 1A will never work with these. I tried with a 2.4A hub and it didn't even get above like half frequency; however these sticks are made for OC and run especially bad at lower frequency, so hashrate was abysmal. Changing to a GekkoScience hub immediately fixed it.

I don't think that these sticks can even get 2.4A out of 2.4A hubs, because they only deliver the power when the device requests it through some USB spec messages that it sends to the hub - something that mining sticks don't do.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elsupreme

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 06:56:15 PM

Its a 120W hub with 10 ports, im only populating 3 ports for F + cooling fan. they are pretty steady at 550Mhz when a single hub is plugged to PC but as soon as i plug in a second hub to PC, the frequencies begin to flutter & the Fs on the 2nd hub wouldnt go past 300Mhz while affecting the Fs on the first Hub causing it to drop also ...

See below:  
0: GSF 10050552: BM1397:01+ 550.00MHz T:550 P:550 (23:12) |  100% WU:100% | 355.2G / 356.1Gh/s WU:4974.9/m
1: GSF 10050555: BM1397:01+ 550.00MHz T:550 P:550 (24:12) |  100% WU:100% | 346.5G / 356.0Gh/s WU:4973.4/m
2: GSF 10050558: BM1397:01+ 550.00MHz T:550 P:550 (23:12) |  100% WU:100% | 328.3G / 353.9Gh/s WU:4943.6/m

elsupreme

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 07:10:25 PM

Would a Raspberry PI solve this data transfer problem ?
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 08:59:01 PM
Last edit: February 25, 2022, 11:00:37 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Damn straight it will. If you look back in this thread you find the results of me changing from W10 to a Raspi 3B -- immediate 10% increase in hash rate while running the same freq plus was able to run at a higher freq.

I don't know if the issue is how Windoze allocates resources to USB or if is related to the Zadig USB driver but it made a world of difference.

edit: A thought... I assume the 2nd hub is plugged into its own port on the PC right? (it should be)
If so, did you tell Zadig to use the 2nd USB connection? If you didn't, `Doze will not like it...

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Biffa
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2022, 11:41:27 PM

Its a 120W hub with 10 ports, im only populating 3 ports for F + cooling fan. they are pretty steady at 550Mhz when a single hub is plugged to PC but as soon as i plug in a second hub to PC, the frequencies begin to flutter & the Fs on the 2nd hub wouldnt go past 300Mhz while affecting the Fs on the first Hub causing it to drop also ...

Yeah the 10 port 120W hub is better than the 7port one I thought you had, but its still only 2.1A per port. I've had no end of trouble testing different hubs and only the Gekkoscience ones work reliably in my experience.

The only other trouble I have had was when I didn't have enough cpu grunt to drive three sticks. I was using a lowly Pi1 and it just couldn't drive more than one stick at full speed.

Oh and I managed to melt the solder off one of the chips on one stick but that wasn't terminal  Shocked

elsupreme

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 01:30:37 AM

Little issue I'm having.  8 Sticks on 2x Gekkoscience Hubs shared between 2x PI4 8gb versions because I couldn't get 8 to play on one Pi correctly.  I seem to have an issue the minute the PI has 2x USB Hubs going to it.  I remember someone in here had the same issue with over 6 sticks on 1x PI.  CPU/Memory usage is completely fine with 8 (Its "high" but never above 60% CPU). 

This is more like what i am experiencing and where my questions originate from.
In summary, he has 8 sticks split across 2 hubs which is 2x 4 sticks per hub. then he has trouble connecting the 2 hubs with 4 sticks each on them to a single Pi4 as the problem starts the moment he plugs in the 2nd hub to the Pi4 which is exactly same thing im experiencing.

But then again, running one hub per Pi4 or PC works perfectly.  So he ended up getting a 2nd Pi4 to get the 2nd hub running on its own without issues.
Is that the only solution ?? or are there some other things to try ? It doesn't seem to be a hub power issue but more about connecting multiple hubs to a PC or Pi. My PC isnt resource constrained yet.

My PC Specification:

Windows 11
Processor   AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor -  4.12 GHz  (24.7GHz total)
Installed RAM   12.0 GB
System type   64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
USB ports:        8 behind, 4 Infront  (12 in total )

Suggestions ...

Yes, it feels more like a bandwidth battle i agree.
I looked at the device manager side & found 4x OHCI USB 2.0 controllers + 1 xHCI USB 3.0 controller.
Tried swapping them around to be on separate controllers but i cant tell when they're on different controllers as im not getting the normal feedback.

any tips on identifying which controller manages which port ?

Damn straight it will. If you look back in this thread you find the results of me changing from W10 to a Raspi 3B -- immediate 10% increase in hash rate while running the same freq plus was able to run at a higher freq.

I don't know if the issue is how Windoze allocates resources to USB or if is related to the Zadig USB driver but it made a world of difference.

edit: A thought... I assume the 2nd hub is plugged into its own port on the PC right? (it should be)
If so, did you tell Zadig to use the 2nd USB connection? If you didn't, `Doze will not like it...

Yes, each hub goes into a different port on the PC. I'm not sure i know how to instruct Zadig to use 2nd USB connection, all i made sure was to install the zadig driver for the sticks.

how can i go about about doing that with zadig ?

Yeah the 10 port 120W hub is better than the 7port one I thought you had, but its still only 2.1A per port. I've had no end of trouble testing different hubs and only the Gekkoscience ones work reliably in my experience.

The only other trouble I have had was when I didn't have enough cpu grunt to drive three sticks. I was using a lowly Pi1 and it just couldn't drive more than one stick at full speed.

Oh and I managed to melt the solder off one of the chips on one stick but that wasn't terminal  Shocked

The hubs supplies ok power..  there enough PC resource to go round ..

sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 03:04:43 AM

There should be a cgminer command to list all devices, and I believe it tells you the bus/port numbers. On my testers the busses enumerate as 0/1 or 0/7 depending on machine, so I run two separate instances of cgminer, one pointed at bus 0, one at bus 1/7, for easier note-taking about which devices are on which hubs during burn-in. We run up to 7 sticks at 400MHz per bus (note the bus usage is equivalent to 5 sticks at 550MHz); any more and we had stability issues like you're seeing. We test on debian linux, which I guarantee will make a more efficient use of the bus than your Windows.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
n0nce

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2022, 10:50:34 AM

For reference, mine pull 2.7A per port on GekkoScience hub.

Sorry, but this I've never seen! Grin You add the frequencies of your CPU cores? That's funny.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elsupreme

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 03:35:16 PM

There should be a cgminer command to list all devices, and I believe it tells you the bus/port numbers. On my testers the busses enumerate as 0/1 or 0/7 depending on machine, so I run two separate instances of cgminer, one pointed at bus 0, one at bus 1/7, for easier note-taking about which devices are on which hubs during burn-in. We run up to 7 sticks at 400MHz per bus (note the bus usage is equivalent to 5 sticks at 550MHz); any more and we had stability issues like you're seeing. We test on debian linux, which I guarantee will make a more efficient use of the bus than your Windows.

thanks. I used the List all devices command and got this back:

USB list: Failed to open 9
0 total known USB device

how do you point instances to a different Bus? is there a line in the config file for that ?

what do you use to get the power consumption reading per port ?

Sorry, but this I've never seen! Grin You add the frequencies of your CPU cores? That's funny.

Is it ?? well, if you prefer 6x 4.12 GHz
n0nce

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2022, 03:52:34 PM

what do you use to get the power consumption reading per port ?
Little USB ampmeters that you plug between the stick and the hub's USB port.

Is it ?? well, if you prefer 6x 4.12 GHz
Yeah; after all, it makes a large difference if you have an old Xeon with e.g. 32 cores each running at 1GHz (ballpark numbers) and say you've got a 32GHz CPU opposed to a modern i5 with 8 cores each running 4GHz. That's because even today, lots of applications are purely single-threaded. So if they demand a bit more performance, having tons of cores won't help.
But that's OT - your CPU is perfectly fine! Just nitpicking..

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Powell

Activity: 486
Merit: 262

rm -rf stupidity

View Profile
February 26, 2022, 08:09:00 PM

I don't want to quote because the post he made was very long.  It's been awhile and I got help from the guys on here and the ones in the Kano Discord, but adjusting the vCore voltages for whatever reason made everything happy.  I currently have 9 Compac F's running at 500MHz (I am waiting on another batch of Gekko hubs so I have one on a hub that can't do more than 2.0A (if it blips above for more than a second it shuts the port down and resets the stick), but I have all 3 hubs connected via their own USB cable to a single Raspberry PI 4 (8gb version). 

The vcore voltage adjuster is the little VERY small phillips head looking screw on the bottom right of the PCB if you are looking at the heatsink side.  There is a post somewhere in here talking about adjusting them and how much to.  I went through and did every one of them one at a time.  End result though was all 8 (now 9) working together with no issue

elsupreme

View Profile
February 27, 2022, 12:15:09 AM

I don't want to quote because the post he made was very long.  It's been awhile and I got help from the guys on here and the ones in the Kano Discord, but adjusting the vCore voltages for whatever reason made everything happy.  I currently have 9 Compac F's running at 500MHz (I am waiting on another batch of Gekko hubs so I have one on a hub that can't do more than 2.0A (if it blips above for more than a second it shuts the port down and resets the stick), but I have all 3 hubs connected via their own USB cable to a single Raspberry PI 4 (8gb version). 
Rasp Pi4 has only 4 usb ports, how do you manage to plug them all in including keyboard & mouse

and i assume you're not running windows, as i tested out 500MHz on windows, the WU sits at 4,4xx/m while yours runs @ 4,6xx/m.
  is it on Linux ?

The vcore voltage adjuster is the little VERY small phillips head looking screw on the bottom right of the PCB if you are looking at the heatsink side.  There is a post somewhere in here talking about adjusting them and how much to.  I went through and did every one of them one at a time.  End result though was all 8 (now 9) working together with no issue

I will search for the post, thanks.
Also i noticed the V - adjuster has 2 flat ends, while adjusting each of them, did they all end up in the same position ?
If so, what is the position ?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: