Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:32:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH  (Read 22211 times)
nings

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2022, 10:12:28 AM

I don't understand your issue; why not solder wires directly to the USB connector?

You need to CUT 5V USB POWER for use another power source. You seem to have no knowledge to electronic but you can't have a 5.0001V from the the industrial power supply and a second power source of 4.9-5.2V from the computer hub or another source.
You can't remove this pin and solder a cable without destroy the usb connector. Solder a cable this way on this type of pad can remove copper from the PCB.

That's a strong wire copper pad and can be added everywhere on the pcb : https://www.protoexpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/pad-design-articlefix1.png

Then I still don't understand what you are 'keeping' when upgrading to a new stick. You'll still be 'throwing away' (that's your words, I would never throw such a stick away - easily sellable online) the whole stick, right? You would just keep the 5V power supply, just like is the case now (people using GekkoScience hub for many generations).

You see what is a pod ? A full computer... You say me that's better to trash the whole computer and take a new one than just exchange the graphic card (= asic = usb miner)
You have power supply+usb cable/connector+fan+radiator/water block/pump/tank/wires that's for align correctly the usb miner with your cooling solution but you can look L mainboard vrm cooling may be you will understand better than you don't have a L hub for use this type of cooling it's for example not what I want to use..).

Tomorrow you have 1 PH at 15W and what you want to do with a X GH stick just good for trash ?
Miner at MH worth nothing and are useless take too much power for not enough power it's worthless but yes you can resell all if you find a buyer. You can sell 1$ to 100$ if someone accept to pay 100$ for 1$ Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
n0nce

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818

not your keys, not your coins!

View Profile WWW
January 30, 2022, 12:31:50 PM

I don't understand your issue; why not solder wires directly to the USB connector?
You need to CUT 5V USB POWER for use another power source. You seem to have no knowledge to electronic but you can't have a 5.0001V from the the industrial power supply and a second power source of 4.9-5.2V from the computer hub or another source.
It's funny that you say I have no knowledge about electronics, but let's not go further.. Grin
Maybe you need instructions in case my idea / proposal wasn't clear.

You just take an extension cable, rip out the power leads as shown and power the stick externally from its USB connector contacts.

That's a strong wire copper pad and can be added everywhere on the pcb :
I know, but if you want this so bad and sidehack tells you apparently for 7 years that he won't do it, why not make it? It's really not a difficult 'hack'... I think a child could do that, in fact.

You see what is a pod ? A full computer... You say me that's better to trash the whole computer and take a new one than just exchange the graphic card (= asic = usb miner)
You know Futurebit Apollo? Yeah, they plan on releasing better (replacement) hashboards as ASIC technology progresses. Then get one of those...

You have power supply+usb cable/connector+fan+radiator/water block/pump/tank/wires that's for align correctly the usb miner with your cooling solution but you can look L mainboard vrm cooling may be you will understand better than you don't have a L hub for use this type of cooling it's for example not what I want to use..).
These sticks don't really have anything to reuse though. You could reuse the $0.20 heatsink and the power supply (GekkoScience hub) and computer (Raspberry Pi or similar) are external already. This seems pretty much exactly what you're looking for.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
elsupreme

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 30, 2022, 06:05:44 PM

Merely sitting on the shoulders of giants here, very appreciative of all contributors who are making home mining a possibility.

Quick question: Does anyone know the status of AsicPuppy.com?  Placed order there over a week ago (even though site didn't give impression of being properly maintained.. contact page 404, insecure connection to website, etc).  Order has been "processing" since then.

Just thought I'd express my concern since merchant seems well regarded by community.  Apologize in advance if this post is ultimately unwarranted.

Yea, i placed my order there yesterday and still processing ..
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 31, 2022, 06:25:05 PM
Merited by n0nce (2)

Twenty cent heatsink? I'll have you know, sir, that the heatsinks cost thirty-eight cents!

Also, pod miners aren't complete units with computers included. It's just a multi-chip USB miner with an external power supply. You're right the cooling and VRM are also included, but power supply, USB cable, PC/controller are all external.

Also, the 5V pin on the USB jack can be lifted without breaking anything. I mean mods like you're suggesting probably void the warranty but you can do it without destroying the jack.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
msalvatti

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 02, 2022, 10:55:28 PM

Hi @sidehack,   

Would you help me? Where can I find the GekkoScience Compac F 200 bis 400 GH/s to buy in the US? The sites I find are all sold out.
Do you have any plans to have it again?

EDIT: Kano's setup instructions can be found HERE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5355470.60

Hey guys.

So some of you already noticed because of reseller presale announcements, but we're dropping a new stick built around the S17 BM1397 chip.

We call it the Compac F. It is red. Hot-rod red.

http://128.92.148.198/img_stash/ferrari/red_sticks_on_tester_545.jpg

It is also made for overclocking. Hot-rod overclocking.

http://128.92.148.198/img_stash/ferrari/2_sticks_545MHz.PNG

The two photos above were taken from the same test. I haven't stressed my tester sticks past 3 Amps from the USB bus, but if you are able to keep everything cool, in theory, the hardware should be good for more like 500GH. Which is a little absurd. Kano is working on the driver for this guy, and we agreed to cap the speed to 800MHz (538GH theoretical) for safety and sanity's sake. Because of a new IC package design by Bitmain, the chips cool more efficiently, which when coupled with our proven robust Compac power systems makes this stick quite a machine.

This isn't going to be marketed as a baseline miner like the Compac, 2Pac, NewPac. It's physically compatible with our previous USB sticks and built off the same proven platform, but this one is a limited release with only one planned batch. If enough people want it, we may make more.

Resellers are all the usual suspects. 419Mining, ASICPuppy and BitcoinMerch are stocking in the US. Bitshopper.de is selling in Germany, and Eyeboot.com will have stock in Hong Kong. MineFarmBuy is also interested but are a broker, not a reseller, so you'll have to talk to them to figure it out.
PiTimes

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 02, 2022, 11:54:59 PM

Hey all, looking for a little direction here... Had my Fs running like champs for one day, barely 24hrs.  Now they look like this:
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
           [U]SB management [P]ool management [S]ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit                                                  
0: GSF 10050420: BM1397:01+ 95.00MHz T:95  P:32  (135:67) | 31.3% WU: 16% | 16.53G / 7.718Gh/s WU:107.8/m              
 3: GSF 10050600: found 0 chip(s)                                          | OFF                                      
  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------    

Here is .bat configuration:
Code:
cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://us-east.stratum.slushpool.com:3333 -u X -p Y --gekko-compacf-detect --gekko-compacf-freq 400 --gekko-start-freq 200 --gekko-mine2 --gekko-tune-up 85

I play with the start freq a bit, going below default thinking maybe that would find this chip... but the other one is throttled like crazy.  I have plenty of active cooling, so tell me I didn't fry them.  Meanwhile I got 4 to 8 2pacs running @ 250mhz for a couple years now.

Thanks,
n0nce

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2022, 01:10:58 AM

Hey all, looking for a little direction here... Had my Fs running like champs for one day, barely 24hrs.  Now they look like this:
Code:
           [U]SB management [P]ool management [S]ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit                                                  
0: GSF 10050420: BM1397:01+ 95.00MHz T:95  P:32  (135:67) | 31.3% WU: 16% | 16.53G / 7.718Gh/s WU:107.8/m              
 3: GSF 10050600: found 0 chip(s)                                          | OFF                                      

Here is .bat configuration:
Code:
cgminer.exe -o stratum+tcp://us-east.stratum.slushpool.com:3333 -u X -p Y --gekko-compacf-detect --gekko-compacf-freq 400 --gekko-start-freq 200 --gekko-mine2 --gekko-tune-up 85

I play with the start freq a bit, going below default thinking maybe that would find this chip... but the other one is throttled like crazy.  I have plenty of active cooling, so tell me I didn't fry them.  Meanwhile I got 4 to 8 2pacs running @ 250mhz for a couple years now.

Thanks,
Are they getting enough current? Do you have a USB current measuring stick thingy to check that out?
Also try starting them higher, e.g. freq=500 and start-freq=500 (what I'm doing).

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
PiTimes

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 03, 2022, 02:32:32 AM

I am using a 110V 20 port USB: https://www.eyeboot.com/sipolar-20-port-usb3.html
Current shouldn't be an issue... unless it is.  But I am still able to run 8 2pacs at 250mhz... I am at a loss.  I don't have a USB multimeter, but they look cheap I will probably invest in one.  I have toggled with the voltage on the stick and the freq in cgminer. 

Tried jump starting at 500mhz, no dice for the 0 chip, and the other one I could hear audibly beeping, softly and rapidly.
elsupreme

Activity: 30
Merit: 1

View Profile
February 03, 2022, 05:16:57 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2022, 05:43:29 AM by Mr. Big

i'm curious. Aside from BTC, what alt coins can compac - F mine ?

I am using a 110V 20 port USB: https://www.eyeboot.com/sipolar-20-port-usb3.html
Current shouldn't be an issue... unless it is.  But I am still able to run 8 2pacs at 250mhz... I am at a loss.  I don't have a USB multimeter, but they look cheap I will probably invest in one.  I have toggled with the voltage on the stick and the freq in cgminer.  

Tried jump starting at 500mhz, no dice for the 0 chip, and the other one I could hear audibly beeping, softly and rapidly.

I'm not 100% sure but the first thing that caught my eyes from your setup was the USB 3.0 ports. cant remember where i have seen / read it but it causes some type of issues if i am not mistaken.

I stand corrected.
allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 03, 2022, 08:14:43 AM

Where these usb stickes are available to buy now?
msalvatti

View Profile
February 03, 2022, 09:13:23 AM

Hello everybody,

I would like to buy a new compac F, can someone help telling me where I can find it, the sites I looked for are sold out.
Biffa
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

View Profile
February 03, 2022, 01:44:47 PM

You just need to wait, sign up on the mailing list at the official distributor sites listed in the first post. Or wait till there are announcements here.

419mining.com has a waitlist you can sign up for in the US

Mine @ pools that pay Tx fees & don't mine empty blocks :: kanopool :: ckpool ::
Should bitmain create LPM for all models?
:: Dalcore's Crypto Mining H/W Hosting Directory & Reputation ::
msalvatti

View Profile
February 03, 2022, 04:23:24 PM

Ok thank you for information, I already subscribed to the maillist.
Do you know why the product is out of stock? Was there any specific reason?

Searching here on the Forum I found 3 stores that sell these usbminers, they are:

asicpuppy
bitcoin merch
419mining.com

Are they trustworthy? Do you have another place to recommend?

Thanks.

You just need to wait, sign up on the mailing list at the official distributor sites listed in the first post. Or wait till there are announcements here.

419mining.com has a waitlist you can sign up for in the US

n0nce

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2022, 04:58:29 PM

Because all the stock was bought by customers.. Wink

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
msalvatti

View Profile
February 03, 2022, 05:13:38 PM

Okay this is very good, I thought it might be a lack of raw material to manufacture microchips or something.

Any idea when it will be up for sale again? I know I have to wait as the colleague said, but usually companies have the forecast to manufacture more.

Thanks.

Because all the stock was bought by customers.. Wink
jeyzeus

Activity: 69
Merit: 35

View Profile
February 04, 2022, 03:33:31 AM

Merely sitting on the shoulders of giants here, very appreciative of all contributors who are making home mining a possibility.

Quick question: Does anyone know the status of AsicPuppy.com?  Placed order there over a week ago (even though site didn't give impression of being properly maintained.. contact page 404, insecure connection to website, etc).  Order has been "processing" since then.

Just thought I'd express my concern since merchant seems well regarded by community.  Apologize in advance if this post is ultimately unwarranted.

He sometimes takes a bit to reply or give order updates but he's legit and has always done right by me. Also it actually seems like the SSL issue has finally been fixed. I am sure he will get to you in a bit. Not sure how big the team is but just vouching for him because i had a similar experience once but he made everything right.
snow_elk

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 04, 2022, 06:11:34 AM

He sometimes takes a bit to reply or give order updates but he's legit and has always done right by me. Also it actually seems like the SSL issue has finally been fixed. I am sure he will get to you in a bit. Not sure how big the team is but just vouching for him because i had a similar experience once but he made everything right.

Did receive response from AsicPuppy a few days after my earlier post so anticipating a favorable result.  Cool  Thanks for input.

Someone please tell me immersion cooling for Compac Fs isn't as simple as hanging the USB hub upside down over a sufficiently large and thick metal container full of low-sulpher mineral oil with only the device dipping into liquid.  I expect with ASICs there is usually a more elaborate heat exchange process but maybe the heat could be transferred readily enough via oil into metal container which would in turn radiate into environment.
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2022, 06:47:46 PM

You'd probably want something to circulate the oil just in case, but yeah that's mostly what you'd need.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
snow_elk

Activity: 3

View Profile
February 06, 2022, 03:34:37 AM

You'd probably want something to circulate the oil just in case, but yeah that's mostly what you'd need.

I may experiment come summer. Would definitely be interested to know if anyone comes up with an effective, basic design that isn't a fire hazard...  Roll Eyes

The following is just a little brainstorm..

Does immersion simply allow overclocking more safely or is there anything about it that inherently adds capability (i.e. "cooler chips hash better")?

Sidehack, you earlier mentioned the Compac F theoretically reaching speeds of 500GH/s with adequate cooling. Do you suppose that instead of frying the chip, with immersion you'd then simply be running into the limitations of even the best usb hub before such a fast hashrate?

Does a higher voltage (via adjusting screw) necessarily mean a faster miner or could it possibly result in its running less efficiently (i.e. hotter)?

I'm impressed that Sledge manages to keep his sticks at 75°F (585MHz & ~380GH/s) using only an Artic fan per 3 sticks (he did mention their being in a temperature controlled environment).  I'm wondering how big of a role fine tuning the voltage could play in maximizing efficiency (especially with regards to temperature).
sidehack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 06, 2022, 04:20:57 PM

Adjusting the voltage allows for higher operating speeds, because faster switching speeds require more power to make the switches switch faster without choking. Tuning for the lowest voltage at which the speed is stable is how you optimize efficiency. At super high speeds, even with good cooling, you're not running into hub limitations, you're running into limitations of the power delivery parts. The main inductor is rated for 17 amps and beyond that, you start to saturate the magnetics and regulation suffers. Basically, even without cooling, it wouldn't be safe to operate.

In general, up to that point, better cooling means it'll safely run higher speeds. Might need to pipe in power directly if the USB jack has problems.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 »
  Print  

Jump to: