Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:02:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 ... 486 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BBR] Boolberry: Privacy and Security - Guaranteed Since 2014  (Read 1210689 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 12:38:25 AM

what makes the leveldb integration at boolberry different than what monero is doing? Or it is somewhat similar?

I know the mixin rules, pruning, difficulty algorithm and emission calendar are all different

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 01:26:48 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2015, 09:01:58 AM by smooth

what makes the leveldb integration at boolberry different than what monero is doing? Or it is somewhat similar?

The leveldb here is only being used to store list of blocks, not all the other in-memory stuff that makes up a node (transactions, block index, output indexes, etc.). Monero moves all that stuff to the DB.

Advantages of BBR approach:

1. Simpler to implement and get right
2. Some operations still using the in-memory data may be more efficient

Disadvantages of BBR approach:

3. Higher remaining memory usage (but with BBR's pruning and lower volume of usage, probably not too bad)
4. Some possibility of inconsistencies between the two data stores in-mem and database (clintar's fix addresses one instance of this)
5. Still requires the periodic "save blockchain" timer, which pauses many daemon functions during the saving process (though the process should be faster without needing to save the block list)

#1 is pretty significant IMO. Given that these projects are all works in progress, building the ultimate solution on the first go is not aways the best approach.

EDIT: added #5
clintar2

Activity: 202
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 03:44:38 AM

The leveldb here is only being used to store list of blocks, not all the other in-memory stuff that makes up a node (transactions, block index, output indexes, etc.). Monero moves all that stuff to the DB.

3. Higher remaining memory usage (but with BBR's pruning and lower volume of usage, probably not too bad)
4. Some possibility of inconsistencies between the two data stores in-mem and database (clintar's fix addresses one instance of this)

#1 is pretty significant IMO. Given that these projects are all works in progress, building the ultimate solution on the first go is not aways the best approach.

Is the other instance you refer to if the saved blockchain is more recent that the lmdb database (which I'm not sure how that would happen in practice unless you copied a newer blockchain.bin where there's an older db), or are you talking about something else?

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 05:03:26 AM
Last edit: September 14, 2015, 08:57:21 AM by smooth

Is the other instance you refer to if the saved blockchain is more recent that the lmdb database (which I'm not sure how that would happen in practice unless you copied a newer blockchain.bin where there's an older db), or are you talking about something else?

Just in general that the process isn't transactional the way an ACID database commit normally would be so things can go wrong in various ways. Without carefully auditing the ordering of events and the behavior of various operating systems it is hard to be 100% sure what failure modes are possible.

For example, another failure that occasionally happens on Windows (for all cryptonotes) is the blockchain.bin file gets corrupted during save since there isn't a really good way to replace a file atomically (on Linux you can rename-replace, which mostly works). This would leave you with a valid database but an invalid blockchain.bin. Of course this would probably be no worse than the previous (no db) case, but would be worse than the full db case. This is fixable, but somewhat annoying to fix, especially if all the data is going to end up in a database eventually anyway (I have no idea as to your plans).

BTW, in case my comments were not clear I do think this is nice work by crypto_zoidberg and clintar.

clintar2

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 08:50:00 AM

Just in general that the process isn't transnational the way an ACID database commit normally would be so things can go wrong in various ways. Without carefully auditing the ordering of events and the behavior of various operating systems it is hard to be 100% sure what failure modes are possible.

For example, another failure that occasionally happens on Windows (for all cryptonotes) is the blockchain.bin file gets corrupted during save since there isn't a really good way to replace a file atomically (on Linux you can rename-replace, which mostly works). This would leave you with a valid database but an invalid blockchain.bin. Of course this would probably be no worse than the previous (no db) case, but would be worse than the full db case. This is fixable, but somewhat annoying to fix, especially if all the data is going to end up in a database eventually anyway (I have no idea as to your plans).

BTW, in case my comments were not clear I do think this is nice work by crypto_zoidberg and clintar.

Ok, thanks for the input. Just wondered if there was something I should be looking into I hadn't thought of. I don't really know the plans, either. Just was contributing what I came up with as a work-around. I agree having everything in the database does take care if these issues, too. Pretty slick how cz implemented the db, though, huh? At least I thought so. Anyone have any suggestions for things they want to see in the codebase?
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 11:53:36 PM

Just in general that the process isn't transnational the way an ACID database commit normally would be so things can go wrong in various ways. Without carefully auditing the ordering of events and the behavior of various operating systems it is hard to be 100% sure what failure modes are possible.

Ok, thanks for the input. Just wondered if there was something I should be looking into I hadn't thought of. I don't really know the plans, either. Just was contributing what I came up with as a work-around. I agree having everything in the database does take care if these issues, too. Pretty slick how cz implemented the db, though, huh? At least I thought so. Anyone have any suggestions for things they want to see in the codebase?

I would love to see support for multisig transactions! Is that a realistic goal?
boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 03:08:45 AM

Cross post from [DASH/XDN/XMR/SDC] Comparison thread. Someone asked about BBR
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=985039.0

How does boolbery compare to dash, xdn, xmr and sdc?BBR also aims at being anonymous coin.

Of the coins you mentioned BBR is closest to XMR and XDN (they are PoW CryptoNote). Here are a few of its important distinctions:
On mixin issue and its relation to privacy:
http://boolberry.com/files/Boolberry_Solves_CryptoNote_Flaws.pdf

On blockchain bloat:
http://boolberry.org/files/Boolberry_Reduces_Blockchain_Bloat.pdf

The BBR emission schedule is much slower than those two coins as well. Most XDN coins were mined in the first year. XMR just passed 50% (pre tail) emission.

Development continues. This is the current focus:
https://twitter.com/BBRcurrency/status/642419677411479552

AEON and DSH are two other CryptoNote coins that deserve some attention for different reasons.

newb4now

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 04:59:39 PM

5. Still requires the periodic "save blockchain" timer, which pauses many daemon functions during the saving process (though the process should be faster without needing to save the block list)

Thanks for your detailed and impartial response! I found it very helpful
clintar2

View Profile
September 16, 2015, 09:41:27 PM

Yeah, #5 is probably the main reason I'd like to see everything changed to db. I might try to tackle that based on cz's main blocks changes.
crypto_zoidberg (OP)

Activity: 976
Merit: 646

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2015, 06:07:35 AM

Agree with this, actually this is the main reason why DB implementaton stil in branch. The way we decided to go here - is to step-by-step move parts of storage from boost serialization to leveldb - is way that let us easely reduce memory usage, but at other hand we need always have consistent state of both parts: serialized storage and leveldb.
The problem is that leveldb write changes right after every operations (there are different options, but still the idea of level db is like this). Clintar made workaround for current implementation, but this won't work if i'll move other containers to leveldb(or the workaround become be very-very complicated). So now it's only betta.
Leveldb have some kind of "snapshots", this could work but db can't be reverted to this snapshots, so it useless i guess.

The only way i see now is to move all stored data to leveldb and use batch writes to keep data consistent.

languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 08:38:17 AM

I love boolberry but I now have a new favorite thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1148538.0
(come join if you like chess)

Back on topic..... I would love to hear feedback from those testing the new db code from github.

Do we have any data about how many people have tested it and any trouble (if any) they have ran into?

I thought the cointopay.com boolberry acceptance news was a good thing. Has anyone used the service yet?
newb4now

View Profile
September 19, 2015, 08:08:49 PM

Agree with this, actually this is the main reason why DB implementaton stil in branch. The way we decided to go here - is to step-by-step move parts of storage from boost serialization to leveldb - is way that let us easely reduce memory usage, but at other hand we need always have consistent state of both parts: serialized storage and leveldb.
The problem is that leveldb write changes right after every operations (there are different options, but still the idea of level db is like this). Clintar made workaround for current implementation, but this won't work if i'll move other containers to leveldb(or the workaround become be very-very complicated). So now it's only betta.
Leveldb have some kind of "snapshots", this could work but db can't be reverted to this snapshots, so it useless i guess.

The only way i see now is to move all stored data to leveldb and use batch writes to keep data consistent.

I sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this. Thank you for your careful planning. I am really excited about the future of boolberry
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 20, 2015, 07:05:36 PM

Is there a Slack channel for BBR?
boolberry

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 02:57:03 AM

Not yet but that is a good idea. SuperNet has a slack channel set up and we are included but that is not really the same thing as having our own.
jd1959

Activity: 529
Merit: 505

I'm on drugs, what's your excuse?

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 03:12:33 AM

I personally believe that slack is over rated. Mostly just people chatting about irrelevant crap. It looks like a good place for Dev's to chat about works in progress with each other, then make announcements here. I've been on the Supernet slack Chanel and it was a waste of time for someone who can't contribute to Code to solve issues. I'm just an end user and don't mean any offense to Dev's, I can't do what they can.

Jon  Wink

dICO Disguised Instant Cash Out
boolberry

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 03:24:21 AM

I love boolberry but I now have a new favorite thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1148538.0
(come join if you like chess)

Back on topic..... I would love to hear feedback from those testing the new db code from github.

Do we have any data about how many people have tested it and any trouble (if any) they have ran into?

I thought the cointopay.com boolberry acceptance news was a good thing. Has anyone used the service yet?

I like chess so don't mind your post at all!

Thanks for the reminder about cointopay. I will tweet about them again
yassin54
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 09:54:33 AM

there are channel BBR in slack supernet
go invit supernet here: http://slackinvite.supernet.org/
and add channel #BBR
You are Welcome!  Wink
bitcoinrocks
Legendary

Activity: 1372

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 01:29:47 PM

Do you mean the #boolberry channel or is #BBR different?
Nanashi74

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 07:31:21 PM

getting the following errors when compiling from git:

Code:
Linking CXX static library libcommon.a
Error running link command: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [src/libcommon.a] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/nanashi/.boolb/boolberry/build/release'
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/common.dir/all] Error 2
Linking CXX static library libcrypto.a
make[3]: *** [src/libcrypto.a] Error 2
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/crypto.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nanashi/.boolb/boolberry/build/release'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nanashi/.boolb/boolberry/build/release'
make: *** [build-release] Error 2

Huh

mint 17.2
clintar2

View Profile
September 21, 2015, 07:49:49 PM

getting the following errors when compiling from git:

Code:
Linking CXX static library libcommon.a
make[3]: *** [src/libcommon.a] Error 2
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/common.dir/all] Error 2
Linking CXX static library libcrypto.a
make[3]: *** [src/libcrypto.a] Error 2
make[2]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/crypto.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/nanashi/.boolb/boolberry/build/release'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/nanashi/.boolb/boolberry/build/release'
make: *** [build-release] Error 2

Huh

mint 17.2

Did you install build-essential first?
Pages: « 1 ... 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 [310] 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 ... 486 »
  Print  

Jump to: