Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:08:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 [1267] 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667396 times)
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:11:47 PM

XDN trolls are getting very active in Poloniex chat saying that they are 2.0 cryptonote coin and XMR is dead since devs cant make a GUI.

Many people are not aware of fast emission schedule or Ducknote backstory

I love our roadmap but not everyone understands its importance.

Can we just tag one of our unofficial GUIs (or mymonero) as official to end that objection once and for all?

Then we can just continue with our existing roadmap and replace the official GUI with a new one when the time comes
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
g4q34g4qg47ww

Activity: 478
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:28:19 PM

XDN trolls are getting very active in Poloniex chat saying that they are 2.0 cryptonote coin and XMR is dead since devs cant make a GUI.

Can we just tag one of our unofficial GUIs (or mymonero) as official to end that objection once and for all?

Then we can just continue with our existing roadmap and replace the official GUI with a new one when the time comes

You could always invite one (or multiple) of the devs of the unofficial guis to join core team and ask that they focus on it
newb4now

Activity: 686

View Profile
July 09, 2015, 11:40:29 PM

You could always invite one (or multiple) of the devs of the unofficial guis to join core team and ask that they focus on it

I think this is a great idea. I know the current dev team has grand plans for a great GUI with mechant tools and smart mining. This is only meant to be a stopgap to make the masses feel more welcome here and stop the trolls from other cryptonote coins who are trying to divert btc investment into their coin instead of XMR based on GUI comments.

How about the community votes on this?

First vote could be should we make one of our existing GUIs official?

Second vote could be which one?

Then like you said dev of winning GUI from the vote could join the official dev team to help align it with our objectives
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 11:45:25 PM

LETS GET A FULL TIME DEVELOPER

This is at the IDEA stage of the forum funding system, meaning THIS IS NOT A BOUNTY. Instead, what is supposed to happen now is developers (those who can tackle the task - that is, being a full time developer) will pitch their proposal. Eventually, one will be picked, and we will move it to funding. Then the fund raising will start. Once goal is met, progress will be tracked.

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/328/funding-a-developer-to-work-full-time-on-monero-for-1-or-2-years

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2015, 11:47:54 PM

no, just point them to the scoreboard.

Scoreboard = network hashrate, # of recent commits, and market cap.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:16:45 AM

I'll pledge 100 XMR to anyone who wants to incorporate cryptonote's qt GUI in monero and merge it into master. Anyone want to add to the bounty?
XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 12:21:45 AM

I'll pledge 100 XMR to anyone who wants to incorporate cryptonote's qt GUI in monero and merge it into master. Anyone want to add to the bounty?

I will pledge another 100XMR so long as it can be done and released by the end of July

I want Monero to be as usable as possible for the average Chinese user before August 8th
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:28:26 AM

personally, I think that the new release with DB version combined with MoneroX (full node) or LightWallet (SPV node) will be very usable.
We should promote these options when  the new backbone (i.e. Monero 0.9) is out.

edit: referring to the core as "raw wallet" or something like that could work. So we explain it like this:
well, we have a basic version of the wallet. this is the protocol, the backbone of monero. For now, we, the devs, consider it our task to improve on the basic code. If you want monero to be more usable, use either MoneroX (full node) or LightNode (SPV).

after checking of the code by the dev team, these 2 install options could be included in the official download.

Just a suggestion Wink
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 01:33:19 AM

I will pledge another 100XMR so long as it can be done and released by the end of July

I want Monero to be as usable as possible for the average Chinese user before August 8th

imho cryptonote wallet doesn't make sense, as it will probably NOT  work with the DB version of the new wallet, making it a very slow program  to run.
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 01:58:23 AM

I'll throw some funds in on this if someone steps up. I assume they'll go through the funding process on the getmonero forum?

not to be the negative nelly, but I think funds would be better spent on a full time developer. Re: cryptonote GUI - does anyone know how compatible it will be? Does anyone know what the lifespan of it will be, considering the underlying core is set to change ... a lot?

If you want to get this going on the monero forum funding system, start an idea thread. See if a developer will step up to the plate.

re: bolded- what usability do you want? if our reference is bitcoin, does the average chinese user go through the trouble of setting up a full node in order to hodl? Or do they just get a wallet on blockchain.info etc? mymonero.com = usable.

XMRChina

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:21:53 AM
Last edit: July 10, 2015, 03:08:19 AM by XMRChina

I'll throw some funds in on this if someone steps up. I assume they'll go through the funding process on the getmonero forum?

not to be the negative nelly, but I think funds would be better spent on a full time developer. Re: cryptonote GUI - does anyone know how compatible it will be? Does anyone know what the lifespan of it will be, considering the underlying core is set to change ... a lot?

If you want to get this going on the monero forum funding system, start an idea thread. See if a developer will step up to the plate.

re: bolded- what usability do you want? if our reference is bitcoin, does the average chinese user go through the trouble of setting up a full node in order to hodl? Or do they just get a wallet on blockchain.info etc? mymonero.com = usable.

The more options the better but I think most users would appreciate a GUI endorsed by the dev team. If the cryptonote GUI is not best for now (I cant answer that) maybe this one is:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=683365.msg11653240#msg11653240

At the very least links to the alternative options could be added to the first post in this thread instead of users having to click a link to choose an alternative client on getmonero.org which is still just in English:
https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose

On a positive note it looks like we found a translator who is ready to get started helping us:
https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/327/website-and-core-translations?page=&noscroll=1#post-1391
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:06:56 AM

but I think most users would appreciate a GUI endorsed by the dev team

It would really really help our cause if the dev team would "officialize" one of the third party gui clients, even if just temporarily until the dev team produces its own gui client, and put it on the front page in the "Where can I download Monero" section. Just label one command line interface and the other gui. Please devs.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
kazuki49

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 05:25:57 AM

https://privacyassociation.org/news/a/why-bitcoin-is-good-for-law-enforcement

First, having a public, traceable ledger of every bitcoin transaction ever conducted allows law enforcement to “follow the money” in a way that would never be possible with cash. That’s true despite the perceived anonymity of bitcoin; reports of bitcoin’s anonymity are greatly exaggerated. A user’s bitcoin address is just an account number that stays with the user. If you can connect that address to a particular user, you can identify and trace all of the transactions in which that individual has participated using that address. Plus, tools and techniques for making those connections are improving all the time.
In addition, because this ledger of bitcoin transactions is permanent, law enforcement does not have to worry that the data will be unavailable months or even years down the road. Since the ledger is publicly accessible, law enforcement does not have to worry about what type of legal process—subpoena or search warrant—is required to access the data. Because the ledger is borderless, law enforcement can get the data without having to go through a foreign government. That’s especially important now, when the Justice Department is in heated litigation with Microsoft and other providers over whether U.S. law enforcement can use a search warrant to get data that a U.S.-based provider chooses to store overseas or instead should be required to go through a foreign government.

reason why I don't care about old alts pumping.

with or without gui, monero is the crypto of the future.
Johnny Mnemonic

Activity: 795
Merit: 514

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 08:27:15 AM

I believe smooth stated that it would be fairly straight forward to adapt the cryptonote GUI to monero (please correct me if I misunderstood or my memory is incorrect).

I'm pledging my portion of the bounty to the cryptonote qt GUI because it would be familiar to most people already in crypto.

RE: Hiring a full time developer. I don't support this, unless it's already a core team member or a heavy contributor to the XMR repository. If that is the case, then I definitely do support the idea and will contribute to that effort as well.
antanst

Activity: 294
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:38:57 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Cryptonote/Bytecoin QT Gui is not open source. So no porting possible.

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 09:49:12 AM

So we want to market to the masses, wonderful.
To do that you say we need an official GUI, ok.

What good will that do without a tagged release of the DB version of Monero?

Respectfully, The Drooling Masses™
GingerAle
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2015, 10:27:23 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Cryptonote/Bytecoin QT Gui is not open source. So no porting possible.

https://github.com/cryptonotefoundation/cryptonotewallet

there it is!!!!

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 10:55:29 AM

I believe smooth stated that it would be fairly straight forward to adapt the cryptonote GUI to monero (please correct me if I misunderstood or my memory is incorrect).

I'm pledging my portion of the bounty to the cryptonote qt GUI because it would be familiar to most people already in crypto.

RE: Hiring a full time developer. I don't support this, unless it's already a core team member or a heavy contributor to the XMR repository. If that is the case, then I definitely do support the idea and will contribute to that effort as well.

[1] I can recall him saying this too, however I think we must not spend too much funds on this, since funds can be better spend on other developments.

[2] Regarding the bolded part, I certainly agree. I don't like to "hire" someone with our funds who isn't even familiar with the codebase, since that will most likely be a 6 month waste of our funds (him getting familiar with the codebase).

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
antanst

Activity: 294
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 11:00:27 AM

https://github.com/cryptonotefoundation/cryptonotewallet

there it is!!!!

Thanks, I hadn't seen this repo. Looks more like QT boilerplate code though, like the one we already have in Github. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in C/C++ can confirm.

papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649

View Profile
July 10, 2015, 02:14:39 PM

About brain wallets are not so secure after all, and its all your fault:
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/brainflayer-password-cracker-steals-bitcoins-brain/

Fortunately, the implementation of electrum style seeds in monero wallets gives us (kinda) the same ease of use and much stronger security.
Pages: « 1 ... 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1231 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1241 1242 1243 1244 1245 1246 1247 1248 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1263 1264 1265 1266 [1267] 1268 1269 1270 1271 1272 1273 1274 1275 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1281 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1288 1289 1290 1291 1292 1293 1294 1295 1296 1297 1298 1299 1300 1301 1302 1303 1304 1305 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1311 1312 1313 1314 1315 1316 1317 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: