Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:10:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667220 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:22:30 PM

In theory, could my anonymity be compromised by too many other people publishing their view keys?

Well let's assume everybody did. Then you would have a coin where all transactions are traceable (except yours, and yours would be the only ones left so...). That's obviously not the goal here, but if everybody wants that, there's nothing you can do. You can't hide a needle without a haystack.

However, it is indeed not good to encourage too much reliance on view keys. That's why, for example, MRL-0004 has an alternate method for auditing of individual transactions that does not involve the broad brush of a view key.

I know you guys aren't aiming to be alphabet proof but perhaps one day in the future it could be a goal and it is concerning because we might imagine that some mass surveillance agency might be able to put together a rather comprehensive database of view keys.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ShapeShift.io

Activity: 448
Merit: 252

Follow us on our new account ShapeShift.com

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 11:25:49 PM

ShapeShift.io has added Monero (XMR) to Instant Altcoin Exchange

XMR users can now exchange instantly with Bitcoin and 25+ other altcoins with ShapeShift. No account needed.

Follow us on our new profile: ShapeShift.com

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:29:48 PM

In theory, could my anonymity be compromised by too many other people publishing their view keys?

Well let's assume everybody did. Then you would have a coin where all transactions are traceable (except yours, and yours would be the only ones left so...). That's obviously not the goal here, but if everybody wants that, there's nothing you can do. You can't hide a needle without a haystack.

However, it is indeed not good to encourage too much reliance on view keys. That's why, for example, MRL-0004 has an alternate method for auditing of individual transactions that does not involve the broad brush of a view key.

I know you guys aren't aiming to be alphabet proof but perhaps one day in the future it could be a goal and it is concerning because we might imagine that some mass surveillance agency might be able to put together a rather comprehensive database of view keys.

Well if "they" are spying on everyone's computer to collect up view keys, then pretty much all is lost right? At that point, collecting everyone's private keys (of all sorts) and transaction logs is on the table.

As far as collecting view keys from centralized services, that's why I say that methods of accomplishing the goals that don't require sharing view keys are preferable and are a goal. For example, several pages back I wrote up a proposal for doing trustless SPV-like lightweight wallets that don't require sharing a view key.
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:36:40 PM

XMR users can now exchange instantly with Bitcoin and 25+ other altcoins with ShapeShift. No account needed.

Whee...  worked like a charm, and stupidly fast too.

explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:36:49 PM

Once the view key has been seen by someone other than yourself, consider the privacy of that address compromised and migrate funds to a secure (private) address. Better yet, never share a view key except for purpose specific, (single use?) addresses.  Let them watch a vacant house all they want.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 11:38:46 PM

Once the view key has been seen by someone other than yourself, consider the privacy of that address compromised and migrate funds to a secure (private) address. Better yet, never share a view key except for purpose specific, (single use?) addresses.  Let them watch a vacant house all they want.

Correct. View key is 1/2 of your private key. It makes sense to share this for specific reasons, but not in general.

pookielax31

Activity: 462
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 12:02:22 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2015, 12:29:06 AM by pookielax31

Big Day for XMR I see..congrats on the LTB and Shapeshift.io...Still keeping an eye over here

Edit: Very well spoken on Lets Talk Bitcoin
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 12:31:36 AM

On another note...

Atrides, dwarfpool owner, is every scammers wet dream, here's why :

He operates the second largest pool, dwarfpool. Current hash rate 3.3MH/s.
The only pool that DOES NOT publish full block history! I've asked him to make this data available and was told every time to f..off. so I've scraped his "Last 30 blocks" page every 1 hour and have been doing it for some time now.

His efficiency for the last 2000 blocks is 81% !
No other pool has such low efficiency, feel free to check them all, both big and small, botnet-friendly and private. Such bad efficiency can only lead to one conclusion - HE IS SIPHONING!

Now take a look at https://github.com/freebazaar?tab=activity
Back in January Atrides asked the community for 10k XMR in donations to begin work on an openbazaar fork. Devs were quick to give support and asked the community to donate as much as possible. When someone suggested that the coins be kept in an escrow Atrides refused and the devs made no attempt to force the escrow or even suggest the donators do their own due diligence.

Move your hash elsewhere people!@#
I also expect the community to demand asnwers and a deadline from this professional scammer.

ugh. someone should really develop a pay per post forum software. This FUD cleanup is getting exhausting.

re: dwarfpool accusation, I have no idea. Based on your other "research" related to monero, my gut is to not trust anything you post.

re: freebazaar, this point is so old its getting old. Those that donated get private updates. Also, during the fundraising, there was no cheerleading from the core dev team. I remember being excited about it. I don't have the time to fish and find the posts (maybe Dr. Bookmarks will have them handy). Is it not happening as swiftly as people would like? Probably. But yah know what else has the same problem? Everything in the world thats worth a damn.

Discussion starts around here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg9994963#msg9994963

Reading that immediately set off huge alarms for me. Most notably re: asking for donations without any mention of actual costs (10k moneroj for what, exactly?), and using urgency to leverage fear as a lure for donations.  

He said the money was to fund him working on it part time for a few months.

I'm disappointed by the progress, but I'm not ready to call it a "scam"...yet.

If I recall correctly the timelines he proposed at the inception of this project were very unrealistic (very aggressive).  He also got somewhat offended when someone proposed escrow for the project funds.

Both raised flags for me.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 12:33:48 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2015, 01:28:57 AM by smooth

On another note...

The only pool that DOES NOT publish full block history! I've asked him to make this data available and was told every time to f..off. so I've scraped his "Last 30 blocks" page every 1 hour and have been doing it for some time now.

No other pool has such low efficiency, feel free to check them all, both big and small, botnet-friendly and private. Such bad efficiency can only lead to one conclusion - HE IS SIPHONING!

Back in January Atrides asked the community for 10k XMR in donations to begin work on an openbazaar fork. Devs were quick to give support and asked the community to donate as much as possible. When someone suggested that the coins be kept in an escrow Atrides refused and the devs made no attempt to force the escrow or even suggest the donators do their own due diligence.

I also expect the community to demand asnwers and a deadline from this professional scammer.

ugh. someone should really develop a pay per post forum software. This FUD cleanup is getting exhausting.

re: dwarfpool accusation, I have no idea. Based on your other "research" related to monero, my gut is to not trust anything you post.

re: freebazaar, this point is so old its getting old. Those that donated get private updates. Also, during the fundraising, there was no cheerleading from the core dev team. I remember being excited about it. I don't have the time to fish and find the posts (maybe Dr. Bookmarks will have them handy). Is it not happening as swiftly as people would like? Probably. But yah know what else has the same problem? Everything in the world thats worth a damn.

Discussion starts around here -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.msg9994963#msg9994963

Reading that immediately set off huge alarms for me. Most notably re: asking for donations without any mention of actual costs (10k moneroj for what, exactly?), and using urgency to leverage fear as a lure for donations. 

If I recall correctly the timelines he proposed at the inception of this project were very unrealistic (very aggressive).  He also got somewhat offended when someone proposed escrow for the project funds.

The red flags are reasonable.

However, when the amount raised feel a bit short of his target and people still wanted to go forward, he stated that he would work on it but at a slower pace. So the original timelines aren't directly applicable.
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 12:45:42 AM

On another note...

However, when the amount raised feel a bit short of his target and people still wanted to go forward, he stated that he would work on it but at a slower pace. So the original timeline's aren't directly applicable.

Fair enough.  It's not like it is, or was back then a lot of money that was crowdfunded considering the assumed complexity of such a project.  If he delivers a working market I'll be impressed even if it takes him a long time.

Drhiggins

Activity: 306
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 12:47:33 AM

Listen the interview with our core dev Fluffypony on LetsTalkBitcoin:

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/ltb-e202-understanding-monero

Anon136, this is what you were asking for right?  Grin

For anyone new to Monero this is a must listen! ^^  Fluffypony does a fantastic job explaining Monero.  It gave me a better overview of the coin myself.  For me even more reason to buy and mine XMR.  Love how this coin has a good community and involved devs.  

Monerohash.com   U.S. Mining Pool
osensei

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

https://monerohash.com

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 01:12:57 AM

Nice to see it finally implemented, hopefully this will bring more people into Monero.

You still get a better deal from https://xmr.to for your moneroj.

MoneroHash.com - U.S. Mining Pool
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 02:12:59 AM

On another note...

If I recall correctly the timelines he proposed at the inception of this project were very unrealistic (very aggressive).  He also got somewhat offended when someone proposed escrow for the project funds.

However, when the amount raised feel a bit short of his target and people still wanted to go forward, he stated that he would work on it but at a slower pace. So the original timeline's aren't directly applicable.

Fair enough.  It's not like it is, or was back then a lot of money that was crowdfunded considering the assumed complexity of such a project.  If he delivers a working market I'll be impressed even if it takes him a long time.

Not exactly to me; the behavior isn't consistent with the words said. If not working more part time because of funds was the case, why would atrides not simply keep donations open?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 02:19:41 AM

Not exactly to me, the behavior isn't consistent with the words said. If not working more part time because of funds was the case, why would atrides not simply keep donations open?

He did, and I sent a small additional donation after the initial round, but the rate had died down to the point where it was clear the original target was not going to be reached in any reasonable period of time.

If it was just a scam to raise donations, why bother with the code work (though it didn't appear to be a huge amount) in March? He's not asking for donations now, so there is no reason to keep up appearances if he didn't actually intend to do the work.
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 02:27:51 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2015, 02:42:52 AM by vokain

Not exactly to me, the behavior isn't consistent with the words said. If not working more part time because of funds was the case, why would atrides not simply keep donations open?

He did, and I sent a small additional donation after the initial round, but the rate had died down to the point where it was clear the original target was not going to be reached in any reasonable period of time.

If it was just a scam to raise donations, why bother with the code work (though it didn't appear to be a huge amount) in March? He's not asking for donations now, so there is no reason to keep up appearances if he didn't actually intend to do the work.

Okay I see now.

I haven't had a close look at the repo but I thought its lack of work was also suspect, but managing another project would be reason enough to give him some benefit of the doubt, unless he was referring to his mining pool...

Speaking of which, a decent reason I'd imagine why he'd bother is that he still has a usable reputation with his mining pool. Why prematurely sabotage that when he can just string suckers along for no cost?

I've seen and had my fair share of burns, hence my pessimism when I see things to be weary of. Again, I always hope for the best.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 02:43:28 AM

Okay I see now. I haven't had a close look at the repo but I thought its lack of work was also suspect, but managing another project would be reason enough to give him some benefit of the doubt, unless he was referring to his mining pool...

Speaking of which, a decent reason I'd imagine why he'd bother is that he still has a usable reputation with his mining pool. Why prematurely sabotage that when he can just string suckers along for no cost?

I've seen and had my fair share of burns, hence my pessimism when I see things to be weary of. Again, I always hope for the best.

Agree on all counts. Of course, he his pool is successful and he wants to protect its reputation, it would be dumb to ruin his reputation over one fundraiser.  But you never know, dumber scams have happened.

My guess, quite honestly, is that once he got into the work he found out that open bazaar was in worse shape than he realized in terms of maturity, and hard to make it work at all, much less with Monero. That would agree with everything else I've heard about the project.

He may also be a bit embarrassed about not being able to deliver, though if my suspicions as to the cause are correct, he really shouldn't be. Usually in these cases better communication is preferable even if the message is a disappointing one. But again I don't know. (Although I donated, I never bothered paying attention to the private messages to donators.)
vokain
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2015, 02:46:41 AM

I find that reason very agreeable, I'm not at all familiar with OpenBazaar. I guess we can wait until OB matures, and if it doesn't atrides still has opportunity to return the funds. Cheers.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 03:22:32 AM

Correct. View key is 1/2 of your private key. It makes sense to share this for specific reasons, but not in general.

fortunately it will probably be rare for people to share their view key anyway. i mean if they are in monero they are in monero for a reason.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 03:24:36 AM

Right at this moment I'd say this is a super solid play:

should go post it in their thread with the caption

*cough* just sayin

i wouldn't do it because i don't have the constitution for trolling but it would be funny.

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
April 08, 2015, 03:47:58 AM

Right at this moment I'd say this is a super solid play:

-snip gigantic image-

should go post it in their thread with the caption

*cough* just sayin

i wouldn't do it because i don't have the constitution for trolling but it would be funny.

That was what I wanted to do first.  But to be honest all the trolling has be kinda of worn out, and I have no hard feelings to the DASH camp.  I think they are at more risk because of today's developments in monero than they realize.

I also think the Monero community is only beginning to wake up to what xmr.to + shapeshift + database means in terms of our utility.
Pages: « 1 ... 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 [1131] 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 1142 1143 1144 1145 1146 1147 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 1159 1160 1161 1162 1163 1164 1165 1166 1167 1168 1169 1170 1171 1172 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 1178 1179 1180 1181 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: