Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 07:43:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667483 times)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 01:59:33 AM

At the same time, higher mixins, despite the increased privacy, look suspicious on their own. If everyone is using a mixin of 4, and someone decides to use a mixin of 200, they're kind of painting a target on their back.

You can avoid that by chaining multiple transactions (each with a "normal" mix factor such as 4) with appropriately selected time delays. After doing this you can even destroy the private keys for the intermediate outputs, a form of perfect forward secrecy.  Obviously this adds time, so may not be suitable for all use cases, but is another option, and is probably the most secure method overall.

Its even cheaper that way right? Because, say you are using mixin 3 and you do it 6 times, than you get 6^3 partners (216) but only 6*3 (18) in signature size rather than a signature size of 218 that you would get if you just used 1 transaction with a mixin of 218 instead. Am i thinking about this right?

*edit* if this is right than maybe the implication is that, when we need super security, we should be having our clients "tumble" coins in the background like darkcoin with low mixin on each transaction rather than using high mixin when we need to make the transaction. wouldnt that be funny.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 02:05:31 AM

At the same time, higher mixins, despite the increased privacy, look suspicious on their own. If everyone is using a mixin of 4, and someone decides to use a mixin of 200, they're kind of painting a target on their back.

You can avoid that by chaining multiple transactions (each with a "normal" mix factor such as 4) with appropriately selected time delays. After doing this you can even destroy the private keys for the intermediate outputs, a form of perfect forward secrecy.  Obviously this adds time, so may not be suitable for all use cases, but is another option, and is probably the most secure method overall.

Its even cheaper that way right? Because, say you are using mixin 3 and you do it 6 times, than you get 6^3 partners (216) but only 6*3 (18) in signature size rather than a signature size of 218 that you would get if you just used 1 transaction with a mixin of 218 instead. Am i thinking about this right?

Arguably. It depends how you characterize the anonymity set. You are paying an added cost for your own output-input pairs on each step relative to the number of truly foreign signers included, but from a third party tracing perspective it is similar to 3^6. However, this method is weak against someone who can spy on your network traffic and identify your transactions. Always tradeoffs...

*edit* if this is right than maybe the implication is that, when we need super security, we should be having our clients "tumble" coins in the background like darkcoin with low mixin on each transaction rather than using high mixin when we need to make the transaction. wouldnt that be funny.

A function like that is reasonable. One interpretation of ring signatures is to be able to mix your own coins without relying on a third party mixer or mixing coordinator, so various different ways of doing that mixing in a wallet (= client in monero-speak) are possible.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 02:22:30 AM

Arguably. It depends how you characterize the anonymity set. You are paying an added cost for your own output-input pairs on each step relative to the number of truly foreign signers included, but from a third party tracing perspective it is similar to 3^6.

A function like that is reasonable. One interpretation of ring signatures is to be able to mix your own coins without relying on a third party mixer or mixing coordinator, so various different ways of doing that mixing in a wallet (= client in monero-speak) are possible.

ok so than another question. why do we technically need to wait for 6 blocks to do this process 6 times? cant you in theory set up the protocol in such a way for outputs from other transactions in the same block to be valid inputs to a transaction in that same block? of course if you were the only person who did this than it would give you away right away, but if everyone was doing it all the time, well maybe it could work. If it did work it would be effectively non linear signatures.

honestly i suspect it doesn't, it would limit the total number of available participants to the other people in that block rather than all participants in the networks history. less than ideal. additionally you would need to coordinate off blockchain with other people. but hey maybe its an interesting conversation. ive always been firmly of the opinion that bad ideas are still worth talking about so long as they are sufficiently interesting.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 02:27:53 AM

You can avoid that by chaining multiple transactions (each with a "normal" mix factor such as 4) with appropriately selected time delays. After doing this you can even destroy the private keys for the intermediate outputs, a form of perfect forward secrecy.  Obviously this adds time, so may not be suitable for all use cases, but is another option, and is probably the most secure method overall.

Arguably. It depends how you characterize the anonymity set. You are paying an added cost for your own output-input pairs on each step relative to the number of truly foreign signers included, but from a third party tracing perspective it is similar to 3^6.

ok so than another question. why do we technically need to wait for 6 blocks to do this process 6 times? cant you in theory set up the protocol in such a way for outputs from other transactions in the same block to be valid inputs to a transaction in that same block? of course if you were the only person who did this than it would give you away right away, but if everyone was doing it all the time, well maybe it could work. If it did work it would be effectively non linear signatures.

honestly i suspect it doesn't, it would limit the total number of available participants to the other people in that block rather than all participants in the networks history. less than ideal. additionally you would need to coordinate off blockchain with other people. but hey maybe its an interesting conversion. ive always been firmly of the opinion that bad ideas are still worth talking about so long as they are sufficiently interesting.

You don't really have to wait six blocks. That is just a wallet function for your own convenience (especially because the wallet doesn't deal especially well with reorgs). It is perfectly legal in the protocol to spend an output that is newer, although there isn't really a way to spend outputs from the same block currently (you could spend outputs one block old though). That may change, in some upcoming hard fork, because dealing with spending of reorged outputs is quite ugly currently.

The main reason to wait is as you suggested you want your transactions to look like any other transactions, not a chain.

Also, see my edit about about chained transactions not being safe against a network-level observer. Should be fairly obvious why. In that case it reverts to being only as safe as the first transaction in the chain, with wasted overhead.

GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 02:55:28 AM

oda.krell is right about the "don't fight FUD with FUD because you shoot yourself in the foot" thing. This approach is counterproductive because it makes people turn against you and what you say, instinctively.

The FUD on this thread is irrelevant anyway, we'll keep copy-pasting standard courteous responses and calling out provable shills. The most important thing we as community can do in crises like this is help information flow INSIDE the community as friction-less as possible. For example, answering noob or "just woke up, what's up" questions with pertinent explanations, or spending some time on IRC explaining things as far as we know and always linking to the most recent official information.

What we do here is, like aminorex keeps hinting, not a zero-sum game. That's the stuff of pumps and dumps. We win if we manage to COOPERATE efficiently (even if we don't trust each other - that's the whole point of the Byzantine Generals problem).

wow. i was just reading the august/september attack thread era and came across this post. beautiful.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 03:51:59 AM

oda.krell is right about the "don't fight FUD with FUD because you shoot yourself in the foot" thing. This approach is counterproductive because it makes people turn against you and what you say, instinctively.

The FUD on this thread is irrelevant anyway, we'll keep copy-pasting standard courteous responses and calling out provable shills. The most important thing we as community can do in crises like this is help information flow INSIDE the community as friction-less as possible. For example, answering noob or "just woke up, what's up" questions with pertinent explanations, or spending some time on IRC explaining things as far as we know and always linking to the most recent official information.

What we do here is, like aminorex keeps hinting, not a zero-sum game. That's the stuff of pumps and dumps. We win if we manage to COOPERATE efficiently (even if we don't trust each other - that's the whole point of the Byzantine Generals problem).

wow. i was just reading the august/september attack thread era and came across this post. beautiful.

xulescu is a shrewd person of good intentions.  I hope he's prospering in all dimensions.  He would have the skills to contribute strongly to the community in many respects, but as far as I can tell has found some more fit purpose for his time since December, at least.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
primer-
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 09:51:06 AM

Monero core dev pitching a shitcoin ? Interesting..

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1005152.0
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:03:47 AM

You might be needing one of these

For context:
I have received a suggestion from a community member to do a rebrand on AEON. Accordingly I have opened a new thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1005152.0

If you are interested in discussing the possible rebrand, including ideas for naming, fundraising, etc., please join the new thread.

I'm coordinating, but for this to move forward community members will need to take some initiative and contribute resources (could be time, money, etc.).

Please discuss

hey, Smooth,

Kind of curious about the implications of your commitment to this coin for the future development of XMR.

None directly. I just saw a nice simple coin with some people supporting it that wasn't even being updated for critical security flaws, and felt I could help out with that.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:13:43 AM

Oh well, on to something truly interesting....

There's a new iteration of !

Nothing fancy really, as you have come to expect. Tongue The changes are mainly internal in preparation for the cooler stuff.

I was relying on Astrides' public node, if you remember. Not anymore. I have got my own node running and the block explorer is running from a database. You know what this means, right? Number crunching! Soontm.

Meanwhile there are a few things you might notice:
  - API examples have the right URL now (I guess nobody was using that because I got no complaints)
  - results are faster
  - mixin count was changed from chainradar to simplewallet like (meaning 0 mixing = 1 signer)
  - block and transaction sizes display correctly
  - and you can search by payment id:

I would be happy to get your feedback and suggestions!
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:31:36 AM

None directly. I just saw a nice simple coin with some people supporting it that wasn't even being updated for critical security flaws, and felt I could help out with that.

None directly yet he hosts the 'most up to date' source code on his personal github account...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:32:56 AM
Last edit: March 28, 2015, 11:13:11 AM by smooth

I'm not pitching, I'm looking after (in the sense of some minimal coordination and patching the code with critical bug fixes) a community that was shit on by a scumbag developer who wanted a payoff when he abandoned the coin. Much like the scumbag developer who took a payoff from darkcoin/dash to abandon dashcoin. Not something that I like to see.
primer-
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:34:23 AM

I'm not pitching, I'm looking after (in the sense of some minimal coordination and patching the code with critical bug fixes) a community that was shit on by a scumbag developer who wanted a payoff when he abandoned the coin. Much like the scumbag developer who took a payoff from darkcoin/dash to abandon dash. Not something that I like to see.

Don't you have  your hands full developing the GUI/testing the DB / doing other monero stuff ?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:35:43 AM

I'm not pitching, I'm looking after (in the sense of some minimal coordination and patching the code with critical bug fixes) a community that was shit on by a scumbag developer who wanted a payoff when he abandoned the coin. Much like the scumbag developer who took a payoff from darkcoin/dash to abandon dash. Not something that I like to see.

Don't you have  your hands full developing the GUI/testing the DB / doing other monero stuff ?

Well, maybe I would have more time for that if I weren't be harassed by obnoxious trolls.
GTO911

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:37:00 AM

Shouldnt we just let it die?  Undecided Its better there community sells their coins and buy Moneroj
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:39:32 AM

I'm not pitching, I'm looking after (in the sense of some minimal coordination and patching the code with critical bug fixes) a community that was shit on by a scumbag developer who wanted a payoff when he abandoned the coin. Much like the scumbag developer who took a payoff from darkcoin/dash to abandon dashcoin. Not something that I like to see.

Shouldnt we just let it die?  Undecided Its better there community sells their coins and buy Moneroj

I think it is better to give a positive impression and attract people that way (same with dashcoin by the way).

But as I said I'm coordinating, not doing a lot of work on it. If people from the community don't come forward and contribute, nothing will happen and it will die out.

primer-
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:46:29 AM

Shouldnt we just let it die?  Undecided Its better there community sells their coins and buy Moneroj

No, that wont work, smooth holds a bag and needs to dump.

Let me tell you more, smooth actually holds very little monero, he sold most if not all when the coins got on mintpal.
Source : irc channel

"12:52 AM <smooth> Alit: i'll only say that 1. I sold a lot during the mintpal pump, and 2. I bought some at around 0.002 during the bcx scare"

"Some" vs "A lot" ...
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 10:56:56 AM

No, that wont work, smooth holds a bag and needs to dump.

Let me tell you more, smooth actually holds very little monero, he sold most if not all when the coins got on mintpal.
Source : irc channel

"12:52 AM <smooth> Alit: i'll only say that 1. I sold a lot during the mintpal pump, and 2. I bought some at around 0.002 during the bcx scare"

"Some" vs "A lot" ...

1. Did not sell all.

2. "Some" = significant amount imo. Probably one of the biggest holders, though certainly not the biggest.

Nevertheless I have a lot more BTC than XMR and I'm not ashamed to say so. Holdings of other alts insignificant to both.

Keep on trollin' -- the thread wouldn't get bumped nearly as much without you primer-!

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
March 28, 2015, 11:06:37 AM

None directly yet he hosts the 'most up to date' source code on his personal github account...

I'm working on the Namecoin DNS seeder: https://github.com/fluffypony/namecoin-seeder

I've also forked Neocities and even submitted a PR: https://github.com/fluffypony/neocities

Our main focus is on Monero, but that often gives rise to peripheral and even unrelated projects, and that's ok.

primer-
Legendary

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:13:04 AM

I'm working on the Namecoin DNS seeder: https://github.com/fluffypony/namecoin-seeder

I've also forked Neocities and even submitted a PR: https://github.com/fluffypony/neocities

Our main focus is on Monero, but that often gives rise to peripheral and even unrelated projects, and that's ok.

Enough said.  That explains why monero projects never get done.
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 28, 2015, 11:16:17 AM

Enough said.  That explains why monero projects never get done.

I´ve asked you before, and i will ask again... have you donated a very big amount of monero or are you willing to pay the devs a whole-year salary so they can work on monero? Otherwise i guess what they are doing in their free time is none of your business...
Pages: « 1 ... 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 [1091] 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 1139 1140 1141 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: