Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:07:47 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 [1441] 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 ... 2125 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669574 times)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 11:59:04 AM

Of course I don't understand any of this which then results in fear, uncertainty and doubt on my part.

How about something I know?  I have the seeds to my wallets safely stored.  What if I delete my wallets and restore them from seed when needed?

You will still have all your coins, don't worry :-) When one restores his seed, simplewallet basically scans the blockchain from scratch looking for transactions that belong to your address (which is coupled to your seed). Therefore, if you restore your seed it will show the same balance as you have now.

Then what is this talk about other more secure methods?  Again I don't understand the more secure methods or what situations they should be used for.

I guess my original question was, how does deleting a wallet created by "normal" means compare to the methods discussed above?

Could you first describe to me how you normally create a wallet? If I know that, I could elaborate on the other methods described and what their advantages and disadvantages are.

That would actually be awesome of you to write how tp store cold wallets for the multiple ways of doing it, and writing the pros and cons of each method. I'm still clueless.

I'll make a start this weekend, more people have been asking about it but I was kind of time constraint. I'll try to finish it as soon as possible.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 12:10:52 PM

I know cold/view only wallets have been discussed before but I have no idea how to find that info.

Nothing ever detected on this comp.

But when I go to use a securely generated cold wallet aren't I at the same risk when I go to use it?

If I have created a wallet as I mentioned and then delete it while keeping the seed, is that comparable to a cold wallet?(assuming the comp is not infected)

I guess the possibility of infection the crux of the matter?  (I hear ArticMine's voice in my head)  How do you use any wallet in a secure way?

I guess it depends on what level of paranoia is used.  How about a reasonable one Grin

Better yet, what if I just store all my Moneroj at MoneroDice? Cool

Like I said in my other post, I'll start this weekend with creating a guide.

You could use a "hot" wallet for the part you want to spend regularly and a "cold" wallet for the part you are going to store for a long time. Not entirely, but it is a safe method. If you don't store any keys on your PC a subsequent virus can't get to it (presuming you don't open it when the virus present).

Yes kind of. Well, there are different ways (another of them could for instance be to use one PC for crypto alone), I'll try to make a guide later.

Yes that as well, my posts are mainly talking about a high degree of paranoia :-P

Haha you could!

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 12:49:15 PM

Hello! I've been away from this thread for long, sorry if I'm posting boring stuff now.
I've started mining xmr again (for the fun of it).
I'm using Wolf0's opensource miner and stock clocks.
Getting 678 H/s on 290x and 687 H/s on Fury, are these good hashrates?

Those are pretty good. I think you can modify some of the settings in the .conf file to boost the numbers.

https://github.com/wolf9466/wolf-xmr-miner/releases/

are you running the 0.3?

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 01:10:14 PM

Hello! I've been away from this thread for long, sorry if I'm posting boring stuff now.
I've started mining xmr again (for the fun of it).
I'm using Wolf0's opensource miner and stock clocks.
Getting 678 H/s on 290x and 687 H/s on Fury, are these good hashrates?

Those are pretty good. I think you can modify some of the settings in the .conf file to boost the numbers.

https://github.com/wolf9466/wolf-xmr-miner/releases/

are you running the 0.3?

I compiled from git (linux), played with worksize and rawintensity, did a couple little modifications to the opencl files.
Power usage is very low.
As far as I understand, it's more profitable than claymore, if you count the fee.

Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 02:24:44 PM

New version of LightWallet available: v0.2
https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2
https://github.com/jwinterm/LightWallet2/releases

Now written in Java using Libgdx library, designed to work with Monero release v0.9.x.

To run:
  • Download binary (jar or exe for windows).
  • Put in same directory as simplewallet (and if on windows libeay32.dll, libwinpthread-1.dll, and ssleay32.dll).
  • Import wallet or create new wallet following instructions in program (following instructions in program).
  • Use default remote node or swith to http://localhost:18081 if running your own bitmonerod.
  • Try to let wallet sync before closing for the first time.

You shouldn't be in any danger of losing coins, as you will either import a keys file or seed, or create a completely new wallet and then delete/encrypt the sensitive information.

There seems to be a possible issue in counting previous transactions in a wallet file. If your unlocked and locked balance are green in the wallet tab, those are the numbers you should trust, and if they're green it should be OK to send a transaction.

It can take quite some time to sync a wallet, especially an old wallet with lots of txs on a crappy computer using a remote node - it might take up to several hours.

Please let me know if you have any issues, by posting issues on github, PM here, PM on forum.getmonero.org, here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=903579.0, or here: https://forum.getmonero.org/20/general-discussion/166/lightwallet-a-lightweight-monero-gui-account-manager

Thanks for checking it out Smiley

As I'm sure your well aware of Java has had a slew of security issues and people are hesitant to use it for banking. Can you assure the community that the libraries that are used in this app have non of these flaws? Also why would you use a game engine library? I'm not a Java programmer so would you elaborate on that choice?

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 03:02:49 PM

Now written in Java using Libgdx library, designed to work with Monero release v0.9.x.

As I'm sure your well aware of Java has had a slew of security issues and people are hesitant to use it for banking. Can you assure the community that the libraries that are used in this app have non of these flaws? Also why would you use a game engine library? I'm not a Java programmer so would you elaborate on that choice?

That first statement seems to be quite a bit of a generalization. Java seems fairly popular among banks, especially investment banks, after some cursory googling. No, I can assure you of nothing - use at your own risk. I can tell you the only libraries it uses besides Libgdx and standard ones are Google's Gson and LWJGL backend for rendering on the desktop. I'm not (much of) a Java programmer either, and I chose Libgdx because it was something I was interested in learning, because it allows (relatively) easy deployment to Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS without changing much if any code.
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3850
Merit: 5015

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 03:35:18 PM

That first statement seems to be quite a bit of a generalization. Java seems fairly popular among banks, especially investment banks, after some cursory googling. No, I can assure you of nothing - use at your own risk. I can tell you the only libraries it uses besides Libgdx and standard ones are Google's Gson and LWJGL backend for rendering on the desktop. I'm not (much of) a Java programmer either, and I chose Libgdx because it was something I was interested in learning, because it allows (relatively) easy deployment to Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS without changing much if any code.

Thanks alot for the quick and honest answer.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
luigi1111
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 06:10:45 PM

Looks like 25 words is the way to go. 
I have a 13 word mymonero wallet.  I would like to use a 25 word wallet, but I'm not inclined to do a kludge-y conversion from 13 to 25 words.

The conversion is not "kludge-y", it's rather simply impossible, unless you happen to be a lucky ~6%-er.
luigi1111
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 06:24:42 PM

There is not yet a site for monero paper wallet generator. But we can have such a site by slightly modifying mymonero.com.

Try this site: https://moneroaddress.org/

You can save that page and use offline.

Well that is i great site. How long has it been alive? There is more words in mnemonic seed than mymonero.com creates. Is this a new feature of monero or the site?

It has been online for quite some time now, I think 6-8 months. Simplewallet and Moneroaddress both use 25 words mnemonic seeds, whereas MyMonero uses 13 words mnemonic seeds. You can read a bit more about it here -> http://xmrtests.llcoins.net/addresstests.html

See "How Cryptonote Addresses Are Created".

Mooo's 1st commit is June 15th. saddam hosted it very shortly after that IIRC. I've also had a very simple one up (http://xmr.llcoins.net/) for even longer.

There is really no reason to use a 13 word seed except for ease of storage due to length. Obviously 13 words is only half the bit strength, but neither are close to practical to attack yet.
birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 06:42:25 PM

I have a 13 word mymonero wallet.  I would like to use a 25 word wallet, but I'm not inclined to do a kludge-y conversion from 13 to 25 words.

The conversion is not "kludge-y", it's rather simply impossible, unless you happen to be a lucky ~6%-er.
I downloaded the monero wallet generator from github, which was linked to in an earlier post.  I'll make a new wallet and send all the Rita Morenos Cool from mymonero.com to the new wallet.
luigi1111
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 06:59:00 PM

I downloaded the monero wallet generator from github, which was linked to in an earlier post.  I'll make a new wallet and send all the Rita Morenos Cool from mymonero.com to the new wallet.

You could always test and see if you're a lucky ~6%-er. Tongue
pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:32:57 PM

Is there any site where I can use the view key to check the balance of the wallet? I guess I can use the simplewallet for that, but is there any site for it? Or any other solution?
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:41:00 PM

Is there any site where I can use view key to check the balance of the wallet? I guess I can use the simplewallet for that, but is there any site for it? Or any other solution?

I don't think view key lets you see balance, actually, only received amounts.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:44:57 PM

Is there any site where I can use view key to check the balance of the wallet? I guess I can use the simplewallet for that, but is there any site for it? Or any other solution?

It does work for cold storage.

Alternately, if you can account for spends another way, you can then subtract them, giving a balance. This is a bit tricky to do correctly since change will be scanned by the view key, so you have to subtract the payment amount plus the change amount on any spends.

pönde

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:53:41 PM

Alternately, if you can account for spends another way, you can then subtract them, giving a balance. This is a bit tricky to do correctly since change will be scanned by the view key, so you have to subtract the payment amount plus the change amount on any spends.

Yea. I am looking some way to check the balance of my cold storage, paper wallet. Would be great if the view key gave balance directly without need for user to do any calculations. But it is possible also that way.

But is there any site for that? Or have I to use some wallet software?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:59:43 PM

Yea. I am looking some way to check the balance of my cold storage, paper wallet. Would be great if the view key gave balance directly without need for user to do any calculations. But it is possible also that way.

I think only using simplewallet right now, but it is possible someone else knows of another way.
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 08:05:19 PM

yeah im trying to wrap my head around why the viewkey  / spendkey can't be used to scan for which output has been used as an input in a view-only mode. I know I've read it explained before, but I think it was on the order of "well the viewkey shows you what outputs are yours, and the spendkey lets you spend those outputs" . I mean I get part of the problem - having the spendkey does allow you to spend that output, so hence making a viewonly wallet with just the viewkey.

would it be possible (somehow) to hash the spendkey, and then somehow scan the blockchain with a hashed-spendkey...  but then you'd need to somehow extract from each transaction... the term i want to use eventually is dehash, and I know thats unpossible (indeed the whole purpose of the whole thing).

So I guess really the solution would be a 3rd key?

What was the new enable-tracking or whatever I saw in the simplewallet. didn't I just recently ask this? i need more sleep.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
pönde

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:06:58 PM

I think only using simplewallet right now, but it is possible someone else knows of another way.

What is the command in simplewallet to that?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:10:52 PM

What is the command in simplewallet to that?

It is this one:

Code:
  --generate-from-view-key arg         Generate incoming-only wallet from 
                                       (address:viewkey:filename) and save it
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 08:16:38 PM

Do you happen to have any documentation for compiling the jar from source?

(and Thank you!  This has the potential to be huge!)

Pages: « 1 ... 1391 1392 1393 1394 1395 1396 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 [1441] 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 ... 2125 »
  Print  

Jump to: