Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:33:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 [1466] 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 ... 2123 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4667231 times)
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 12:45:35 AM

I really fail to comprehend how Dash (or darkcoin or w/e crap name they come up with next week) has any value at all in a market that also has Monero. I guess the market will correct at some point.

Dash aims to create real cash that everyone can use not only some coder geeks selling each other pot in between coding sessions from a wallet command prompt. There's a big focus on user adoption, ease of use, viable funding method and so on. This is the only way the project can grow and become a real alternative to cash.

Monero thinks small time and still entrenched in this niche bullshit mindset.

Dash's boundless ambitions greatly exceed its limited abilities.  It's trying to be all things to all people.  Ain't gonna happen.

Monero does one thing and does it better than anyone else.

We're starting in that niche and will grow from there.  Focused bottom-up grassroots will beat overreaching top-down centralization every single time.

EG:  http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/the-first-thing-to-be-bought-and-sold-on-the-internet-was-some-weed

According to Herp's Derp Logic, nobody is using e-commerce because back in the day it was limited to Stanford AI nerds and MIT ARPAnet geeks.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 12:57:15 AM

Well thats gonna be the case for *any* cryptocurrency. With this line of logic, the next major effort should be electrum style infrastructure.

That's what I'm hinting at. I edited my previous post:

That said, what will a future XMR wallet look like for the "average joe" Monero user in, say, 2020?

Monero has a hurdle in that Electrum style wallets come with a significant privacy cost. Will this be a scalability bottleneck?

I don't think so... and I do believe you and I have hashed this out before Smiley . Again, I think all thats necessary is a subset of the blockchain to provide adequate ring partners. So regardless of how large the whole blockchain is, you can maintain simply 2 gigs of random blockchain data and your wallet can select from those outputs. This 2 gig subset will refresh and change on some schedule.

Trust me, if I knew how to code this is what I would figure out.

Well, that and remote transaction pushing. Stupid work eating my time.

But you need the entire blockchain at some point in order to know your balance. Are you suggesting using a remote chain for that while also storing the chain "fragment" locally?

There are ways around this, such as out-of-band signaling, or recipient-provided keys. There are different trade-offs, though, and I haven't yet found the "perfect" one.

I figured you could just scan the blockchain without saving it. So basically find a way to get the daemon to synchronize with the network without saving the blockchain, and get simplewallet to scan those dloaded blocks as the daemon synchronizes.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:02:46 AM

There are ways around this, such as out-of-band signaling, or recipient-provided keys. There are different trade-offs, though, and I haven't yet found the "perfect" one.

I figured you could just scan the blockchain without saving it. So basically find a way to get the daemon to synchronize with the network without saving the blockchain, and get simplewallet to scan those dloaded blocks as the daemon synchronizes.

Of course you can do that but (with some recognition of MKN's laws) does it really make sense to expect someone on a cell phone to receive and scan every transaction being generated by millions or billions of people? Probably not.

My personal favorite for in-person transactions is that the sender signs the transaction, transmits it locally to the recipient via QR/NFC/BT/etc., and the recipient transmits it to the blockchain. In doing so the recipient now knows which transactions require confirmation and scanning. The rest can be ignored. As luigi said though, there are multiple approaches that can work for different use cases.

Xtrata

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:27:14 AM

I've heard ZCash had some very ugly things to say about Monero lately. Any comments on that?

More shittalk again? Dont you ever get tired? LOL! Go back to ur shitdash that is premined.
Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:39:26 AM

I've heard ZCash had some very ugly things to say about Monero lately. Any comments on that?

More shittalk again? Dont you ever get tired? LOL! Go back to ur shitdash that is premined.

Some ZCash folks said Monero has a single point of failure that once exposed can suddenly unmask the whole network. They have also stated Dash offers better anonymity with the way the mixing works. Of course they believe their system will be better than Dash even, which I don't think will be the case but hope dies last as they say.

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

nioc
Legendary

Activity: 1624

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:48:45 AM

Is it true?
Herp

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:50:18 AM

Forgot to mention ZCash stole the cash part of the name from Dash - Digital Cash. They've called their coin Zerocoin initially but figured Dash, Digital Cash is a better name and basically copied the idea.

Moner's trying the very same, to ride on the coattails of Dash, having designated trolls spreading bullshit in that other Dash thread. Really stinky tactic if you ask me.

Monero is obviously doing that because it can't stand on its own two feet and on its own merits. Very desperate the way Monero's acting, seeking attention like the most desperate attention whore or like some abused toothless crack-whore looking for her quick fix, ready to get down on her knees and please. You are a really sad bunch, aren't you?!

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:52:23 AM

I remember the days when DASH trolls were numerous.
Herp

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 01:59:19 AM

There were no such days. People are too busy getting shit done, unlike Monero specially designated trolls that have very specific tasks to troll the so called competition.

Wrong choice of words by the way. Monero's not even real competition but a bunch of desperate attention whores, desperate to get people to notice their project. Monero doesn't have a marketing budget like Dash. It relies on handouts from members like some street beggar and thinking it can elevate itself by destroying the honest efforts of others.

All Monero newcomers should be aware of this rotten monero culture, their lack of morals and spineless behavior. If you want to be a destroyer join monero. It's the perfect place for you.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Xtrata

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 02:09:13 AM

There were no such days. People are too busy getting shit done, unlike Monero specially designated trolls that have very specific tasks to troll the so called competition.

Wrong choice of words by the way. Monero's not even real competition but a bunch of desperate attention whores, desperate to get people to notice their project. Monero doesn't have a marketing budget like Dash. It relies on handouts from members like some street beggar and thinking it can elevate itself by destroying the honest efforts of others.

All Monero newcomers should be aware of this rotten monero culture, their lack of morals and spineless behavior. If you want to be a destroyer join monero. It's the perfect place for you.

You are only here to talk crap about Monero and coming with "info" with no proof or anything, just gtfo.
tifozi

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 02:12:25 AM

Saw Nick Sz liking this article and thought this is a good place to post http://jpkoning.blogspot.com/2016/01/what-makes-money-special-lawyers.html
Excellent post about fungibility and money. Although he mentions the old Zerocoin/Zerocash in the main body, he supports Monero later down in the comments after an anonymous poster made him aware of it.

Hope XMRPromotions can connect to him via twitter @jp_koning
Herp

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 02:16:49 AM

Actually Nick was quite impressed with the active number of Dash nodes. He thinks Bitcoin has a node problem. Dash has more sturdy active nodes than Bitcoin does.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

rangedriver

Activity: 714
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 02:17:47 AM

It's kinda funny to watch your sideshow.

I'm sorry that your Dash trades / Monero shorts have turned sour. My advice would be to learn how to trade properly. There's some pretty good books out there which recommend all sorts of strategies designed to minimise loss. I'm sure some of them must have easy to understand words with a large typeface.

I'm going to bed now. Goodnight! :-)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 02:31:07 AM

There were no such days.

You are ignorant or a liar. Which is it?
tifozi

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 02:32:18 AM

This is one of the reasons why I quit the Darkcoin thread back in the day, even after actively trading both DRK and XMR back then (No DRK anymore since mid 2014). The sheer number of people who kept quoting the endless trolls in the Darkcoin thread, it was like the collective stupidity was rubbing off on the participants and was exhausting. Please don't make the same mistake here. Display some class and knowledge .....
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 02:42:54 AM

This is one of the reasons why I quit the Darkcoin thread back in the day, even after actively trading both DRK and XMR back then (No DRK anymore since mid 2014). The sheer number of people who kept quoting the endless trolls in the Darkcoin thread, it was like the collective stupidity was rubbing off on the participants and was exhausting. Please don't make the same mistake here. Display some class and knowledge .....

Yeah I continued the conversation over here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1139756.msg13978369#msg13978369

its just that the ANN thread always ends up with the activity.

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
tifozi

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 02:55:17 AM

I also am not sure why de-anonymization should be in conversation before privacy. If we can see how many coins an address has, that is not an "anonymous" coin, period. Who sent what to whom conversation comes very far down the chain. This was a big reason for me to start following CryptoNote when it first came on the scene and I was ready for BitMonero launch  Smiley
aiwe
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1101

karbo.io

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2016, 08:05:43 AM

Not to off clutter off topic on that thread  I reply on this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1139756.msg13635019#msg13635019 with idea that seems important to me.

What is missing from your analysis smooth is that at what level of featureness are businesses willing to embrace block chains. I argue CN/RingCT is below the acceptable level and can not be raised to that level because the fundamentals are not End-to-End principled (also because can only make the payers, payees, and values obscured and not any type of script and other aspects of the block chain data). Business will prefer private databases where they can hide all the data until public block chains mature enough to do so. Public block chains promise more interoption and network effects, once we can make them truly private.

I try to light a fire under you guys to get you refocused on technology that can meet your goal of being a privacy block chain for businesses. That is where the real market is.

It is better for Monero to stay what it stands for - literally "Money", not "sonic screw driver" jack of all trades multitool for everything.

████▄▄████████████▄▄████
██▄██████████████████▄██
██████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
██▀██████████████████▀██
████▀▀████████████▀▀████
  Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
Ҝ
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 11:04:19 AM

Not to off clutter off topic on that thread  I reply on this post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1139756.msg13635019#msg13635019 with idea that seems important to me.

What is missing from your analysis smooth is that at what level of featureness are businesses willing to embrace block chains. I argue CN/RingCT is below the acceptable level and can not be raised to that level because the fundamentals are not End-to-End principled (also because can only make the payers, payees, and values obscured and not any type of script and other aspects of the block chain data). Business will prefer private databases where they can hide all the data until public block chains mature enough to do so. Public block chains promise more interoption and network effects, once we can make them truly private.

I try to light a fire under you guys to get you refocused on technology that can meet your goal of being a privacy block chain for businesses. That is where the real market is.

It is better for Monero to stay what it stands for - literally "Money", not "sonic screw driver" jack of all trades multitool for everything.

If I recall correctly he recently came back from that quote.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
Herp

View Profile
February 23, 2016, 12:54:22 PM

If you want to be a destroyer join monero. It's the perfect place for you.

Done and done.

We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that one way or another.

-J. Robert Oppenheimer

Actually Oppenheimer said that with regret, as a bad thing.

████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

Pages: « 1 ... 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 1451 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 [1466] 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 1502 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 1514 1515 1516 ... 2123 »
  Print  

Jump to: