Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 07:03:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4669110 times)
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:32:19 PM

Update from MoneroMooo:

Another milestone done. This one took longer because I took a break after the 0.9 push.

Main things I've done on this milestone:

• fixes for the wallet creating txes over max size the daemon will accept
  • more work on tests (including tests for the MRL-0004 changes)
  • going through all the V1/V2 stuff to catch what I saw was wrong
  • fix for txes not expiring from pool due to other nodes coming online regularly
  • better handling of pending/failed txes in simplewallet
  • new command/RPC to flush txes from the txpool
  • preventing two daemons from using the same data dir concurrently
  • more intelligent handling against duplicate outs

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
birr

Activity: 869
Merit: 585

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 05:43:07 PM

I keep my xmr in a mymonero.com wallet.  Last time I logged in, it gave me a message that I have to pay 10 xmr to import my transactions.  What happened?
My old address is gone, and the wallet won't show my balance.

Edit:  when that happened, I was using a Japanese VPN.  I switched to a U.S. vpn, logged in again and my wallet works normally.  Can somebody explain?

You definitely used the same login key each time, right? If so, then it sounds like the VPN is doing something funny. The only time it would show you a different address is if your seed / keys were modified by poisoned Javascript. I'd be VERY nervous using that VPN.
Same 13 words.  It has a checksum, so it's highly unlikely this thing happened as a result of mistyping it.
I was using the Android OpenVPNConnect app and the University of Tsukuba VPN software, which is used by hundreds of vpn servers in dozens of countries.  Go to vpngate.net, choose a server and decide whether you want to use OpenVPN, IPsec, SSL or sstp.  I chose a server in Japan, because it has the highest throughput.
It seems strange, if this was malware, that they would ask for 10 xmr, when presumably the goal is to get the contents of my wallet.
I'll transfer my funds from mymonero to a different wallet.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:08:28 PM

I keep my xmr in a mymonero.com wallet.  Last time I logged in, it gave me a message that I have to pay 10 xmr to import my transactions.  What happened?

Edit:  when that happened, I was using a Japanese VPN.  I switched to a U.S. vpn, logged in again and my wallet works normally.  Can somebody explain?

You definitely used the same login key each time, right? If so, then it sounds like the VPN is doing something funny. The only time it would show you a different address is if your seed / keys were modified by poisoned Javascript. I'd be VERY nervous using that VPN.
Same 13 words.  It has a checksum, so it's highly unlikely this thing happened as a result of mistyping it.
I was using the Android OpenVPNConnect app and the University of Tsukuba VPN software, which is used by hundreds of vpn servers in dozens of countries.  Go to vpngate.net, choose a server and decide whether you want to use OpenVPN, IPsec, SSL or sstp.  I chose a server in Japan, because it has the highest throughput.
It seems strange, if this was malware, that they would ask for 10 xmr, when presumably the goal is to get the contents of my wallet.

Regardless of the discussion above, simplewallet is more privacy preserving than MyMonero because the latter needs your viewkey in order to show the balance.

Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:09:18 PM

you remind me of child_harold of SDC, or whats he called.
always bashing other coins/projects :p

Contempt can be earned, and thus merited.   Destroying other people's substance, whether by incompetence, recklessness, or malice, is one way to earn contempt.

Contempt can also be given, unearned.  To avoid being misled one must exercise discernment between cases.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
birr

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:29:51 PM

Edit:  when that happened, I was using a Japanese VPN.  I switched to a U.S. vpn, logged in again and my wallet works normally.  Can somebody explain?

Regardless of the discussion above, simplewallet is more privacy preserving than MyMonero because the latter needs your viewkey in order to show the balance.
I have downloaded
https://github.com/moneromooo-monero/monero-wallet-generator/
to use offline.  After sending coins from mymonero.com to the new wallet, how do I send coins from the new wallet?  It looks like I am going to need another wallet.
I own only Android devices, no windows, Apple or Linux.  
Is there an Android wallet app?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 4926

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:36:52 PM

I believe that prompt is only if you wish to transfer from a pre-existing wallet therefore my guess is the password string was being malformed.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
birr

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:55:56 PM

I believe that prompt is only if you wish to transfer from a pre-existing wallet therefore my guess is the password string was being malformed.
So if I had gone along with the prompt, my money would have gone to a wallet for which I don't have the password.
We're starting to see some of the problems facing monero adoption here.  
I'm cagey enough.  I logged out when I saw that.  But another might fall prey and lose all his money.  
And this isn't caused by hackers or some kind of malware.  It's a system failure.
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 06:56:52 PM

Edit:  when that happened, I was using a Japanese VPN.  I switched to a U.S. vpn, logged in again and my wallet works normally.  Can somebody explain?

I have downloaded
https://github.com/moneromooo-monero/monero-wallet-generator/
to use offline.  After sending coins from mymonero.com to the new wallet, how do I send coins from the new wallet?  It looks like I am going to need another wallet.
I own only Android devices, no windows, Apple or Linux.  
Is there an Android wallet app?

The wallet generator you linked is to make paper wallets, these are usually used to store coins and not really to transact with. If you want a wallet to transact with better use simplewallet.

There is an android wallet app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionicframework.monerowallet116498&hl=nl

However, I strongly advise you to don't store large amount in an app. Better to use either simplewallet or generate a (cold) paper wallet with the Monero wallet generator (Moneroaddress).

EDIT: Also, I think the issue you are reporting is due to something on your end.

saddambitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:18:32 PM

Use simplewallet! It is easy!

electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1051

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 07:44:38 PM

where can i find a monero wallet client for 32 bit users? it seems like 32 bitusers like me are left behind for monero.

this simple wallet download page don't work anymore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613072.msg6787334#msg6787334

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 07:46:49 PM

where can i find a monero wallet client for 32 bit users? it seems like 32 bitusers like me are left behind for monero.

this simple wallet download page don't work anymore https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=613072.msg6787334#msg6787334

The devs are working on finalizing the official 32-bit binaries. Until then you can use the unofficial binaries that are posted here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/433w2u/new_32bit_binaries_for_v091/

Hyc is the author of LMDB (database Monero uses), thus pretty trustworthy.

electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 1051

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 08:47:56 PM

The devs are working on finalizing the official 32-bit binaries. Until then you can use the unofficial binaries that are posted here:

I'll wait for it. I hate binaries. haven't been successful installing tarballs. which webwallet is recommended by the way?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:02:26 PM

I'll wait for it. I hate binaries. haven't been successful installing tarballs. which webwallet is recommended by the way?

All right.

MyMonero, which is run by fluffypony (one of the core-team members of Monero):

https://mymonero.com

Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:27:47 PM

Things are looking good fellas. Question - Related to the forthcoming GUI release, are there plans for a Smartphone wallet? (Is that a heavy chore, specifically with XMR compared to other cryptos or roughly the same? Understanding we are not putting the blockchain on smartphones.  Cheesy)

Thx in advance,
Its about sharing

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2016, 10:34:15 PM

Things are looking good fellas. Question - Related to the forthcoming GUI release, are there plans for a Smartphone wallet? (Is that a heavy chore, specifically with XMR compared to other cryptos or roughly the same? Understanding we are not putting the blockchain on smartphones.  Cheesy)

Nice high-volume rally is starting.  Cheap XMR are being gobbled up by the thousands, like whales feeding on plankton.   Cool

AFAIK, the 0MQ RPC type stuff has created a solid foundation on which devs may build out the GUI and secure Android/iOS clients.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:36:24 PM

Thx in advance,
Its about sharing

There is already the Monero android wallet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ionicframework.monerowallet116498&hl=nl

If I recall correctly saddam was optimizing that as well.

Also, from the official GUI thread:

Another goal is to make the GUI portable to smartphones.

https://forum.getmonero.org/8/funding-required/2476/the-official-qt-gui-project

dEBRUYNE
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 10:37:37 PM

MAAM #3 - Monero Ask Anything Monday:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/45tdaf/maam_3_monero_ask_anything_monday/

villabacho

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 11:41:26 PM

Hi, I just noticed that the amounts reported by the two simplewallet commands

1) "show_transfers in"
2) "incoming_transfers"

do not sum up to the same value. The second one sums to the same value as what "balance" says (I didn't have any outgoing transfers from this wallet),
while the first one is missing one transaction with two outputs.

I'd like to use the first of the to commands as it nicely groups the outputs of each transaction and tells me the block height as well,
but if it misses transactions I'll have to stick with the second one for now.

Anything that I should know? Is the "show_transfers" command kind of experimental?

Thanks!
GingerAle
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2016, 12:06:58 AM

Monerodo OS iso file updated

http://nodebox.link/

iso should properly set up networking to 192.168.1.199

will only work on home networks with gateways 192.168.1.1

< Track your bitcoins! > < Track them again! > <<< [url=https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1qomqt/what_a_landmark_legal_case_from_mid1700s_scotland/] What is fungibility? >>> 46P88uZ4edEgsk7iKQUGu2FUDYcdHm2HtLFiGLp1inG4e4f9PTb4mbHWYWFZGYUeQidJ8hFym2WUmWc p34X8HHmFS2LXJkf <<< Free subdomains at moneroworld.com!! >>> <<< If you don't want to run your own node, point your wallet to node.moneroworld.com, and get connected to a random node! @@@@ FUCK ALL THE PROFITEERS! PROOF OF WORK OR ITS A SCAM !!! @@@@
MoneroMooo
Legendary

Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:37:54 AM

while the first one is missing one transaction with two outputs.

The info show_transfers uses was originally not stored by default, but was switched to be on by default later on. If this is the case, the missing tx would be the first one. Is the missing tx the first one ?

An interesting test is to also run rescan_bc from the wallet, and see it that fixes it. If it does, it's likely a bug in the handling of blockchain reorgs in the wallet.

Pages: « 1 ... 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 1419 1420 1421 1422 1423 1424 1425 1426 1427 1428 1429 1430 1431 1432 1433 1434 1435 1436 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 1454 1455 1456 1457 1458 1459 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1485 1486 1487 1488 1489 1490 1491 1492 1493 1494 1495 1496 1497 1498 1499 1500 1501 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: