Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:51:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 [538] 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 ... 2124 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency  (Read 4668424 times)
Monkeyseemonkeydo

Activity: 246
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:05:31 PM

What the necessity to implement i2p? I don't see the point to make this integration as well as CryptoNote dev team.
Brandon Hawking has written his thoughts about i2p on the forum - https://forum.cryptonote.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=205#p670

This has been discussed at length, it's to ensure that (generally speaking) an attacker can't determine if you are using Monero or not.

We're not beholden to what the CryptoNote academics believe, so whilst any input they have to offer is always appreciated, we've already diverged far from their reference code, and will continue to do so as we fix deficiencies in their protocol (some of which were highlighted in the Monero whitepaper review).

Still, I don't understand the reason to implement i2p to the coin. Wouldn't it better to listen to Cryptonote academics as they have created this technology and no one knows it as well as they.

i2p, of course, has pros but I wonder if the patterns are used above correct for their intended purposes? Does the FoxyProxy setup in any way open up for attacks?

I2P is pretty much mandatory for any anonymous coin, according to what others said(anonymint), I2P is the most important thing that ensures a coins anonymity.

It can be a true but not for CN-based coins. And it uses a lot of RAM and, furthermore, there are ways in which users can fail to secure their I2P connection.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:06:00 PM

I do find it extremely odd...that the people who made cryptonote, never acknowledged themselves until other cryptonote coins were made, besides bytecoin which was premined...

And I also find it unnerving that the real bytecoin devs never even acknowlegded themselves or anything at all....what was the point of premining bytecoin then...

Anyway, thank god for Monero!

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Monkeyseemonkeydo

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:12:31 PM

Wouldn't it better to listen to Cryptonote academics as they have created this technology and no one knows it as well as they.

Considering we don't know who the hell they are and can't verify any of their claims or intentions, I would say no. A thousand times no.

Or at least I would say not to trust anything they say. Listen sure. We always do that.

BTW, I2P will add NAT traversal, something that doesn't exist on any other coin as far as I know beyond the limited case of UPNP. It isn't the only way to do that but it is part of that value added.

Just read your post.

We don't know a lot other people in crypto currency world, we even don't know who is Satoshi but he some-how forced people to believe in Bitcoin and nowadays Bitcoin is liquid.

As well as there is no point to trust them they've done nothing wrong to make us not believe in their words.
They are the founders of CryptoNote tech and maybe in token of respect we'd better to listen to their words?!
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:25:39 PM

We don't know a lot other people in crypto currency world, we even don't know who is Satoshi but he some-how forced people to believe in Bitcoin and nowadays Bitcoin is liquid.

Satoshi was actually around and communicating with well known people when Bitcoin was released, and he worked collaboratively with well known people to further develop the code, demonstrating obvious intimate familiarity with the code and its thereby authenticating his authorship. If I'm not mistaken a lot of his stuff was PGP signed as well.

These cryptonote people just sort of showed up after some other random guys on the BCE (Bytecoin the bitcoin clone) thread started talking about (BCN) Bytecoin. Most of their posts are extremely vague, high level in nature, and often philosophical rather than making the sort of in-depth technical points that would demonstrate any deep knowledge (the I2P post being one example).

As well as there is no point to trust them they've done nothing wrong to make us not believe in their words.

Trust must be earned, though actions and independent verification of claims, especially when anonymous people on the internet can do or claim anything they want.

They are the founders of CryptoNote tech and maybe in token of respect we'd better to listen to their words?!

If they can authenticate any of this, then sure. Otherwise it is just a bunch of guys (or maybe even just one with a bunch of puppets -- we have no idea) on a website that showed up a few months ago.

And as I said, we always listen. Even anonymous people on the internet with no verification of their claims can offer valuable input.
Joshuar

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:30:45 PM

Satoshi was actually around and communicating with well known people when Bitcoin was released, and he worked collaboratively with well known people to further develop the code, demonstrating obvious intimate familiarity with the code and its thereby authenticating his authorship. If I'm not mistaken a lot of his stuff was PGP signed as well.

These cryptonote people just sort of showed up after some other random guys on the BCE (Bytecoin the bitcoin clone) thread started talking about (BCN) Bytecoin. Most of their posts are extremely vague, high level in nature, and often philosophical rather than making the sort of in-depth technical points that would demonstrate any deep knowledge (the I2P post being one example).

Trust must be earned, though actions and independent verification of claims, especially when anonymous people on the internet can do or claim anything they want.

If they can authenticate any of this, then sure. Otherwise it is just a bunch of guys (or maybe even just one with a bunch of puppets -- we have no idea) on a website that showed up a few months ago.

And as I said, we always listen. Even anonymous people on the internet with no verification of their claims can offer valuable input.

I never thought about it that way "Otherwise it is just a bunch of guys (or maybe even just one with a bunch of puppets -- we have no idea) on a website that showed up a few months ago.", that is true, I could make a website myself and claim to be satoshi without any evidence whatsoever, doesnt make my claim valid.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
Monkeyseemonkeydo

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 08:45:00 PM

Ok. But still I didn't get the answers to my questions and there is no evidence to proof the necessity to integrate i2p to the coin

i2p, of course, has pros but I wonder if the patterns are used above correct for their intended purposes? Does the FoxyProxy setup in any way open up for attacks?
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 09:05:09 PM

Ok. But still I didn't get the answers to my questions and there is no evidence to proof the necessity to integrate i2p to the coin

I literally answered your question earlier:

This has been discussed at length, it's to ensure that (generally speaking) an attacker can't determine if you are using Monero or not.

FoxyProxy is centralised using their servers, it's not a decentralised solution to masking traffic.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 09:13:16 PM

The whole premise is absurd. There doesn't need to be proof of necessity to add a feature.

5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:14:35 PM

how profitable is monero mining compared to x11 algo coins mining ? i think it's a lot more profitable no ?

Short answer: Yes

Don't go telling the whole interwebz about it, though, okay?!  Tongue
kd5zgl

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 10:20:53 PM

At risk of being flamed for 'doesn't belong in this thread', etc., I've been wracking my brains all day trying to figure out a rather cryptic (to me, anyway) remark made earlier by Nekomata:

You are not even a good troll, at least remove your obvious affiliation in your sign, btw no one seriously invested in crypto is worried about the devs github, as happened with doge if they shot themselves in the foot there is no coming back and there is always new coin, of course by now most investors already got a grip that XMR devs are serious and for real committed doing something really worth.

I agree with all you say here regarding XMR (there, I'm in the right thread) but I'm curious about 'doge shot themselves in the foot'. Did doge devs do something weird on github? Thx.
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:03:58 PM

At risk of being flamed for 'doesn't belong in this thread', etc., I've been wracking my brains all day trying to figure out a rather cryptic (to me, anyway) remark made earlier by Nekomata:

You are not even a good troll, at least remove your obvious affiliation in your sign, btw no one seriously invested in crypto is worried about the devs github, as happened with doge if they shot themselves in the foot there is no coming back and there is always new coin, of course by now most investors already got a grip that XMR devs are serious and for real committed doing something really worth.

I agree with all you say here regarding XMR (there, I'm in the right thread) but I'm curious about 'doge shot themselves in the foot'. Did doge devs do something weird on github? Thx.

I think he means that the developers did not put much effort or thought into the coin's parameters, since it was originally launched as a tongue-in-cheek memecoin.  Basically, it was a joke, in every sense of the word, right from the genesis block.
kd5zgl

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:08:10 PM

Ah, very thanks, many understand, woof!
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:11:31 PM

I think he means that the developers did not put much effort or thought into the coin's parameters, since it was originally launched as a tongue-in-cheek memecoin.  Basically, it was a joke, in every sense of the word, right from the genesis block.

Isn't it also the infinite block reward that came as a surprise to most holders?

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2014, 11:29:14 PM

Looking through your website: monero.cc, I've found this one: Monero Starter Pack.
But the last update was May 18.
Do you still plan to update it?
No. We removed it some weeks ago, but someone asked to have it included back, so we did.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
Crypto_EX

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 28, 2014, 11:31:06 PM

how profitable is monero mining compared to x11 algo coins mining ? i think it's a lot more profitable no ?

trust me, i wont !

lol
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1968

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:14:13 AM

Just read your post.

Lol. did you even read the btc whitepaper?... obviously not! Cheesy

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1968

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 01:16:29 AM

trust me, i wont !

lol

as iv'e stated before, i have 1 amd r9 270x and i get about .5 xmr a day. fuck nicehash lol... Grin

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
wpalczynski
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:42:10 AM

Hey,

What software are you using to GPU mine?

Cheers!

trust me, i wont !

lol

as iv'e stated before, i have 1 amd r9 270x and i get about .5 xmr a day. fuck nicehash lol... Grin

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 02:47:33 AM

With out it people could know who made what transactions just by logging network traffic and seeing what ip address transactions originated from. Sure you could use a proxy or run your own traffic through i2p or tor or something manually, but other people who failed to do this would compromise the security of others by to deduce information more easily. Having it built in will mean that everyone uses it and then everyone is better off.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
pönde

Activity: 308
Merit: 109

View Profile
July 29, 2014, 07:54:02 AM

Bytecoin (BCN) was not fairly distributed. Monero has network effect going for it in the cryptonote space.

Forget about MonetaVerde, since it seems to be dead. I committed the error of investing some money on that.

Thanks.

https://cryptonote.org/
Bytecoin (BCN)
Aeon (AEON)
Boolberry (BBR)
Dashcoin (DSH)
duckNote (XDN)
Fantomcoin (FCN)
MonetaVerde (MCN)
OneEvilCoin (OEC)
Quazarcoin (QCN)

Ok. Bytecoin and MonetaVerde out. What about these other coins with mixing transactios? I am still holding only Bitcoin and Monero.
Pages: « 1 ... 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 [538] 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 ... 2124 »
  Print  

Jump to: