Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:47:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 166 »
  Print  
Author Topic: How many bitcoins do I need to retire in 20 years?  (Read 320306 times)
najzenmajsen

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 08:24:58 AM

just buy 2 bitcoins and hope for the best : > worst case scenario , you lose a expensive hamburger , just make sure you put the coins somewhere safe on a paperwallet then put the paper wallet deep into your madress or something , then hide it under your couch and then hide your couch below dirt , then hide the dirt below sand.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
galdur

Activity: 616

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 08:37:14 AM

A lot of people in this thread seem to agree on one thing: Bitcoin rising and rising the next x years.

Why are you guys so certain?

The price has been going down for a year, I think because of the gox shock and some other negative events, but other parameters are promising.

So based on the belief that it is still expanding, the argument is that if someone prefer bitcoin over fiat now, they will do more so in the future, when it becomes more liquid. The expansion feeds itself like a slow explosion.

The persistent problem for the past year is microscopic trading volume and no buying interest to speak of. Unless that reverses for some reason the price will continue plummeting. Obviously. So, it´s the classic question of waiting for the bottom and not be trying to catch a falling knife.

arallmuus
Legendary

Activity: 2534
Merit: 1404

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 09:25:27 AM

A lot of people in this thread seem to agree on one thing: Bitcoin rising and rising the next x years.

The price has been going down for a year, I think because of the gox shock and some other negative events, but other parameters are promising.

So based on the belief that it is still expanding, the argument is that if someone prefer bitcoin over fiat now, they will do more so in the future, when it becomes more liquid. The expansion feeds itself like a slow explosion.

The persistent problem for the past year is microscopic trading volume and no buying interest to speak of. Unless that reverses for some reason the price will continue plummeting. Obviously. So, it´s the classic question of waiting for the bottom and not be trying to catch a falling knife.

i am one of the guy that are certain about this and i think there is no solid proof about this
we can be reach someday by holding bitcoins or bitcoin could be worthless by x years

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 09:34:40 AM

Well hopefully by the end of this year 65 btc will be enough?

The old saying goes ..it does not matter WHAT you paid of OVERPAID via miners etc to get your bitcoin..it is WHEN you got your bitcoin
and how much..so if you mined like me and over paid and got burnt and probably should have 100 btc at the end of this year rather then
65 BTC ..IF btc comes to a modest useable success .....and such... those  65 btc of coin EVENTUALLY will be the ticket.....sure in hindsight i over paid or
got burnt equipment or perhaps should not have been as heavily invested in miners.......but it is the fact that I DID dig this amount of coin between say
2013 and 2015 around 65 BTC ....which is 'hopefully' ......gonna be A REALLY REALLY BIG DEAL in say 2020 if price say hit 1k or above (crosses fingers)

the main thing is you got the stash ....now as to the rest.....cross fingers...better then if i was TOO on the ball and did not risk
anything between 2013 and 2015 even if i over paid for some of the equipment in hindsight...(as dumb as some of this stuff turned out to be ...BFL bah......)

so go baby go 10k coin would be nice in 20/20 to say the least (knowing me will prob whine about not getting over 100 coin as
I could make that case with better planning I could have......from past mistakes etc..but then again ..don't think if the above pans out it will really be a problem Smiley

(god at even 1k coin I will be such an ass!) Smiley

good to have goals

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 09:47:37 AM

I just realized that I gained so much knowledge and skills since I'm in Bitcoin that I can consider myself already rich.
Don't you feel the same ?
najzenmajsen

Activity: 700

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 12:10:45 PM

I just realized that I gained so much knowledge and skills since I'm in Bitcoin that I can consider myself already rich.
Don't you feel the same ?

Wow, that's really true without we should all consider ourselfs rich of knowledge , in a few years when bitcoin is mainstream we'll tell ehm we're the wizards
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 12:25:22 PM

Lets say I want to buy bitcoins today and store them for 20 years to use a my retirement fund.  Live comfortably, but don't need to buy a yacht or anything.  How many do you think I would need to buy?

Frankly, the question doesn't make any sense. Because there is no guarantee of Bitcoin's price down the line.

If you were to assume a figure for BTC price 20 yrs in future and if you would know how much fiat you need to retire, it is simple math.
But no one knows BTC's future price, so you can make your own assumptions and make your purchase.

Lock this thread and get back to work.
clochard

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 12:56:12 PM

I do like this thread, because it allows us to look back in the future and see all these 'ridiculous' predictions (that's how they will probably appear in retrospect). Moreover I think it i impossible to predict the value of Bitcoin in 20 years. If Bitcoin succeeded it will be very high, since a lot of people will use it as a store of value (these coins won't be traded) and the small percentage that is traded has to be divided over millions of hands.

2020 is a more interesting timespan at the moment. From 1995 to 2000, the internet captured from 0.4 to 5% of the world population as users. We all agree that Bitcoin will be able to do this quicker, since it is actually something that is built on top of the internet. So let's say 10% of the world population will use Bitcoin by 2020. That is already 700 million people. This could be done if the userbase tripples more or less every year. Not completely unrealistic.

In between this timespan there are two blockhalvings. At the end of 2020, only 6.25BTC per block will be rewarded. This means that also less 'freshly mined' coins will enter the market. Most of the supply will come from long-term holders or traders.

Last but not least you should ask yourself, will there be much incentive in 5 years to exchange your Bitcoin for fiat currency. If you can just use your Bitcoin almost everywhere and it gives certain advantages such as lower fees, less risks and so on, why the hell would you sell your Bitcoin in that case? In the end, merchant adoption and Bitcoin integration in complete business infrastructures will take away some of the pressure to sell your Bitcoin, which is positive for the exchange rate with fiat.

Imagine if you could pay everywhere with (digital) gold. Would you still change it for fiat?

To make a long story short, I am pretty bullish on the long term. The two halvings, the merchant adoption and Bitcoin integration in business as well as the growing user base will have a positive effect on the exchange rate. Exchange rate around 2020 can therefore easily be between 10.000 and 50.000.

If you would say that you need in most Western countries 30 year salaries to start living on one's private means, one million USD would be a nice goal. With the minimum of 10.000 by 2020, you would thus need 100 coins. Chances are that 50, 30 or even 20 coins will suffice however. And if you decide to retire in Indonesia or Thailand, you could probably live with much less, say 5 to 10 Bitcoin. So anything from 5 up to 100 Bitcoin gives you a reasonable chance in my eyes to reach your goal.
el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:24:30 PM

i don't think so, i believe more you have large amounts of money
the level of your life will increase (more needs that you want)
and perhaps it would be the same if we only have a little money with different levels
it depends on yourself not on how much you should have .IMO

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:04:12 PM

The old saying goes ..it does not matter WHAT you paid of OVERPAID via miners etc to get your bitcoin..it is WHEN you got your bitcoin
and how much..so if you mined like me and over paid and got burnt and probably should have 100 btc at the end of this year rather then
65 BTC ..IF btc comes to a modest useable success .....and such... those  65 btc of coin EVENTUALLY will be the ticket.....sure in hindsight i over paid or
got burnt equipment or perhaps should not have been as heavily invested in miners.......but it is the fact that I DID dig this amount of coin between say
2013 and 2015 around 65 BTC ....which is 'hopefully' ......gonna be A REALLY REALLY BIG DEAL in say 2020 if price say hit 1k or above (crosses fingers)

the main thing is you got the stash ....now as to the rest.....cross fingers...better then if i was TOO on the ball and did not risk
anything between 2013 and 2015 even if i over paid for some of the equipment in hindsight...(as dumb as some of this stuff turned out to be ...BFL bah......)

so go baby go 10k coin would be nice in 20/20 to say the least (knowing me will prob whine about not getting over 100 coin as
I could make that case with better planning I could have......from past mistakes etc..but then again ..don't think if the above pans out it will really be a problem Smiley

good to have goals

Not by the end of this year... 20/20, maybe. We need mass ass adoption tho, we need to defeat VISA and friends.
Shattered

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:33:04 PM

good to have goals

Not by the end of this year... 20/20, maybe. We need mass ass adoption tho, we need to defeat VISA and friends.

They will put up one helluva fight.
They will throw millions of dollars of negative media influence with the sole intention to discredit crypto.

I guess to answer the OP question, one has to ask themselves, what is my definition of retirement?
There is a huge difference to retiring in California as opposed to Montana
Tarantino

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 04:05:17 PM

Nobody can ever answer this because nobody knows. Maybe it's 1 bitcoin maybe it's 1000 maybe its 10,000 but you'll just have to wait and see. All depends on the level of adoption.
galdur

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 08:56:46 PM

i am one of the guy that are certain about this and i think there is no solid proof about this
we can be reach someday by holding bitcoins or bitcoin could be worthless by x years

I very much doubt it´ll be worthless, it´s too entrenched now for that to occur. And IMO it´s unlikely to tank much from here. If it gets stuck considerably below 200 for weeks or months then mining becomes a dubious proposition and I don´t think the market for bitcoin will allow that to happen. As we see they´re still adding hash at a wild rate, last diff. increase was 7.7% and it looks like the next one will be at a similar order. So, it looks like the mining industry isn´t going anywhere. And if they´re going to keep adding hash in the face of a falling price of product they must decrease their dumping of product. Market sense: There will be strong support above 200 for the time being. But of course always bear in mind that this is a volatile and fast moving wild west marketplace. Anything can happen. Who knows; maybe some serious buying volume will come in. A float this tiny will move very very fast on significant money.

rikfredsy

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 09:02:56 PM

If you invest 10 bitcoins now you will be counted from millionairies in 2035

el kaka22
Legendary

Activity: 3514
Merit: 1162

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:45:19 PM

you are very sure it's going to happen?

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
camelson
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:48:24 PM

you are very sure it's going to happen?
Bro nobody can be sure. Bitcoin can be worth 100k $ or 0$. This is lottery.
croato

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 12:44:01 AM

I have my 1 bitcoin in paper wallet and i hope that will grow in time. I dont know if that will be worth enough to be rich but sure gives me hope and something to deam about lol.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 03:39:54 AM

good to have goals

sorry mis spoke i ment my stash with mining at the end of this year i'll have 65 coin hoarded

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
igl00

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 03:48:07 AM

imo around 100+

Kprawn
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 07:05:02 AM

I think, the most important thing to consider, would have to be... "Any coins you acquire NOW, could be valued at 10x or 100x more than what it's current value is NOW... and if you have NO coins, you will have NO chance of cashing in on that opporunity, if it comes"

Only 15% of people in the world, retire comfortably at the moment, and they are using the same traditional methods of saving... so it's NOT working. {Most of these methods are linked to inflation .... So if you can find a method to beat inflation.. and I believe Bitcoin could give you that edge... you might have a chance to be part of that 15% of people}

One of the reasons why only 15% of people can retire comfortably, is BAD saving habits... When you decide to invest in Bitcoin, you are breaking that habit, by saving and that puts you in a better position than many other people not doing it.

Good luck.... it's a wild ride... but a fun ride...  Grin Grin

THE FIRST DECENTRALIZED & PLAYER-OWNED CASINO
.EARNBET..EARN BITCOIN: DIVIDENDS
FOR-LIFETIME & MUCH MORE.
. BET WITH: BTCETHEOSLTCBCHWAXXRPBNB
.JOIN US: GITLABTWITTERTELEGRAM
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 166 »
  Print  

Jump to: