Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:07:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Necronomicon thread: Altcoins which are dead.  (Read 43841 times)
EndCiv

Activity: 107
Merit: 59

FUCK THE CONSPIRACY

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 03:52:29 PM
Last edit: May 22, 2014, 05:38:35 PM by EndCiv

I'm personally butt-hurt over the term dead, when it still has a thriving private community.  Hell, the fact that Dobbscoin produces less than 8k BOBz/day, is itself a reason no one's willing to sell them under 600 - and explains why it's marketcap is "dead". Whether it began as a coingen or not means nothing about where it stands today. Dobbscoin may have been spawned a coingen, but It's a Gideon built masterpiece now, in all flavors, with a working testnet, & getnetworkhash functions, it's own zero premined genesis block, and still has its original blockchain, custom graphic wallets, and a dedicated community of Slackers mining and trading it amongst themselves: marketcap in USD be damned.  With a cap of only 21Mil coins - I'm still able to get 1500 per day (w/only 300KHs) and disseminate them among the community because it's a private community slackproject. It's not about volume, it's about Slack.

Just because some schmucks aren't able to mine several hundred thousand a day
just to dump on an ignorant speculating overpopulation.. does NOT mean a coin is dead.

Once you understand that Dobbscoin begain as a school project, mandating to be chosen because it was an EXISTING open source application to then be re-engineered, starting from scratch was not an option. Were it not for Matt Corallos coingen service, Dobbscoin wouldn't exist. It's prequalification aught not be a pre-requisition for it's demise.

If it weren't for (BOB) I'd not have learned to install debian..
If ya want commerce.. use Bitcoin (BTC).. if ya want Slack use (BOB) Dobbscoin.
Personally, I don't want to see anyone buying it.. but if they did - i wouldn't judge.
I'm holding the bag for "Bob", an my saq is ABSOLUTLY HUGE.  

Dobbscoin (BOB): The ONLY crypto-currency accepted on the Pleasure Saucers.
Give yourself to (Bob) freely, joyously, without an atom of restraint --NOW -- and your worries are over.
PRAISE "BOB" - LET THERE BE SLACK.

... it doesn't matter which of them was the original; this thread is only about which one is dead ...

I disagree. It is important to differentiate whether the coingen coin died or the hand-crafted coin died.

🛸     DEATH TO THE SHITCOINS!!
PRAISE "BOB" - http://www.dobbscoin.info

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 04:07:49 PM

... Dobbscoin may have been spawned a coingen, but It's a Gideon built masterpiece now

Ooh, yes of course, that's a perfectly plausible path for auto-didacts repelled by the tenor of mainstream response. I hadn't really given any time to thinking through the details of what "coingen coin" might more broadly imply. Useful, thanks.

Cheers,

Graham
gjhiggins
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1278

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 04:56:41 PM

Regarding Bottlecaps ... please provide a source for your information ...

See the original 11-month-old commit:

Overwhelming balance of probability: not a coingen coin.

nvm, irrelevant. I misinterpreted the request.

Cheers,

Graham
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 05:05:47 PM

I think there's some misunderstanding here.  

When I say that something was generated via coingen, I am NOT saying that was the end of its development.  Nor am I saying that it deserves to die for that reason.

When I say that something is dead, I'm not saying that that means it *ought* to be dead.  Bellacoin is a nice example of something that showed real innovation and worthwhile development, that really ought not have died. Although it might still pull through because its block chain is still running, it's close enough to death that I can't leave it off the list and have a list made according to a consistent, impartial rule.

Nor does it happen, in practice, that anything dies just because I say it is dead or dying.  I don't sentence things to death.  I just put up a monument so they won't be forgotten.  That's kind of like blaming the guy who carves the gravestones for the deaths.

dobbscoin

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

The End Times are Upon Us

View Profile WWW
May 22, 2014, 05:52:53 PM
Last edit: August 22, 2014, 04:11:13 AM by dobbscoin

Quote from: MiracleMax (The Princess Bride)
     Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much.
      There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.
      Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

So, you call a baby alt., meaning one that's in it's infantsy in regards to marketcap, like Dobbscoin - dead?

Of course, I'm just ribbing you now..
but you certainly wouldn't call your own child dead if it were still very much not-dead, just because she wasn't turning a profit.

The ONLY Crypto-Currency accepted on the Pleasure Saucers.
"BOB" brings a NEW DESTINY for the abnormal. (BOB) comes to JUSTIFY our sins;
to UNMASK the Conspiracy, and to get us back the SLACK they stole away!

When two or three are gathered in my name, and I am not there; do you not feel my hands in your pockets? - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FOR NOTHING?
Then you've come to the right place.
http://www.dobbscoin.info
DON'T  GET  FORKED *
SUPPORT THIS PROJECT AND FOLLOW
IT ON TWITTER @DobbsCOIN
 FACEBOOK: The Dobbscoin Conspiracy

DOWNLOAD WALLETS

HOME PAGE: http://www.dobbscoin.info
 Explorerhttp://explorer.dobbscoin.info
 Pool: http://pool.dobbscoin.net 
 Faucet: http://faucet.dobbscoin.info
 Spin Game: http://dobbsspin.dobbscoin.info

ALL Spin Game Losses GO DIRECTLY TO FAUCET.
 May the LUCK PLANE BE WITH YOU.

21 Mil Total Coins / ZERO PREMINE 
ETERNAL SALVATION OR TRIPLE YOUR MONEY BACK

WE KNOW: Dobbscoin is NOT one of those "Pre-mined as much in the Genesis Block as are created the first six months", 'mega coins'
like people seem to want.. and it's not some misspelled Japanese animal meme that everyone told you *YOU NEED*
..and it's not one of the coins that got created by TheCabal of exchange developers
and exchange developers friends that your allowed to want so much..

It's an honest to goodness, unattractive to pumping and dumping, long term,
good faith crypto currency, people always pretend that they allegedly want.

Avoid False Prophets, Cultivate appropriate Slack.

GET RIGHT WITH "BOB" - http://www.subgenius.com
http://www.dobbscoin.info

(BOB) Dobbscoin is the Officially Approved crypto-currency of the Church of the SubGenius, a TWENTY+ Year old UFO 'parody religion/SEX Cult' that targets many better known belief systems. The Church of the SubGenius teaches a complex belief system that focuses on the clip-art Deity, J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, and shines the light upon A Global Conspiracy bent on stealing your Slack. Of course, what 'religion'/Cult would be complete without UFO's, ..tons of SEX and a grand Armageddon scenario.  More: Wikipedia

"BOB" Dobbs in the Media
  • The Church of the SubGenius has been featured in: Playboy, WIRED, Rolling Stone, and preformed hundreds of successful Live Night Club Shows. "BOB" even has Nationally Distributed Video ARISE (Polygram). Not to mention "BOB" is endorsed by most major Counterculture Heroes and Subculture artists.
  • The Band 'SUBLIME' (1), shipped a 23 track '40 OZ OUNCES TO FREEDOM' CD through Skunk Records - with a Dobbshead on it.
  • The Band 'DEVO' (2) is SubGenius as fuck! (see below)
  • Negativland: You may have never heard of Negativland, but you've probably heard clips of their stuff as bumper music on late night programs such as Ground Zero w/Clyde Lewis.
Famous SubGenii include:
  • Robert Anton Wilson(3): "Pope BOB" was an ordained minister in the Church of the SubGenius, wrote for and was featured in the Three Fisted Tales of "BOB" book, and also featured "BOB" in The Illumanatus Trilogy; one of the many books he authored himself.
  • Patrick Volkerding(4) of Slackware Linux: 'Slackware' -duh
  • Timothy Leary,
  • Ken Kesey,
  • PeeWee Herman (click for image),
  • Wierd Al,
  • R. Crumb (Subculture Comics: Fritz the Cat/WEIRDO), drew & wrote for "BOB".
  • Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller IS a PAID Minister/Member of The Church of the SubGenius.
  • Jello Biafra to name just a few
More about Famous SubGenius

The Church of the SubGenius even has three weekly Syndicated Radio Shows, in 15 Markets.
WCSB Cleveland, WREK Atlanta & KPFA Berkeley, Ca, as well as countless of minor broadcast networks.

The Atari - ST (5)
At the time the Atari ST started shipping, a limited set of GEM fonts were included within the ROMs. These fonts featured the standard 8x8 pixel graphical character set for the ST (the main in-ROM "font" for GEM, and text-mode TOS operations in color modes) and contains a recognizable facsimile of the face of J. R. "Bob" Dobbs, (the figurehead of the Church of the Subgenius).

The FACT is.. (BOB) DobbsCoin is about Slack,
It's about FIGHTING The Conspiracy, and it's about getting BACK what THEY Stole away.
And if we just so happen to 'Survive The Great Cataclysms Through UFO Transport, while taking control through liberated weirdness by tapping our secret 'Abnormality Potential. ..then FUCK YES, I'll have TWO.

(1): 40 OZ OUNCES TO FREEDOM' CD initially/ltd. released with a Dobbshead on it. (no shit)(link1) (link2) (link3).
(2): Devo actively embraced the Church of the SubGenius in concert (source: Wikipedia). Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO produced the audio for The Bobacatto, and you can watch him HERE speaking on The Conspiracy, the life-changing power of "BOB" and Slack. (source: ARISE The SubGenius Movie : Polygram Video).
(3): Wilson also joined the Church of the SubGenius, who referred to him as Pope Bob. He contributed to their literature, including the book Three-Fisted Tales of "Bob", and shared a stage with their founder, Rev. Ivan Stang on several occasions Winterstar-01 & Austin, TX. Wilson also founded the Guns and Dope Party, and its corresponding Burning Man theme camp. See also: Historia Discordia
(4): Patrick Volkerding, the software engineer known as the founder and maintainer of Slackware Linux distro, is a SubGenius. The use of the word Slack in "Slackware" is a homage to J. R. "Bob" Dobbs: "I'll admit that it was SubGenius inspired. In fact, back in the 2.0 through 3.0 days we used to print a dobbshead on each CD." -Patrick Volkerding.
(5)Atari ST: Atari ST BASIC had a dobbshead easter egg (image)

I think there's some misunderstanding here.  
When I say that something is dead, I'm not saying that that means it *ought* to be dead.  Bellacoin is a nice example of something that showed real innovation and worthwhile development, that really ought not have died. Although it might still pull through because its block chain is still running, it's close enough to death that I can't leave it off the list and have a list made according to a consistent, impartial rule.

Nor does it happen, in practice, that anything dies just because I say it is dead or dying.  I don't sentence things to death.  I just put up a monument so they won't be forgotten.  That's kind of like blaming the guy who carves the gravestones for the deaths.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 07:02:46 PM

LiquidCoin is dead.
brokedummy
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 22, 2014, 08:29:03 PM

Cryptographic Anomaly(CGA)
observed with market cap 3118 on May 17 2014 down from 37760 on April 26 2014.

LOL wut? The main market for this coin is frozen. If one guy sells ten cents of CGA for a shitty price the coin is dead? You are going to have to remove from the list in a couple days.
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:01:07 PM

Updates: 

Speedcoin, blitzcoin, coin2.0, emoticoin, and emucoin appear to have stopped trading, so I added them to the list or updated their existing entries.  Several new to the "dead" list had market cap higher than $5K at their last trade.

Ghostcoin, Highfivecoin, Parallaxcoin, and Suncoin all dropped below $5K market cap so I added them to the list as well.
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:06:14 PM

The main market for this coin is frozen. If one guy sells ten cents of CGA for a shitty price the coin is dead? You are going to have to remove from the list in a couple days.

Ninety days, minimum.  :-)  It looks like it had a market cap below US$5K from May 16 to May 23.  If it stays above $5K until August 23, I'll decide it's probably not just a fluke recovery. 

Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2014, 06:10:20 PM

LiquidCoin is dead.

Added.  Thanks for the report.
telemaco

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:09:25 AM

Good work...  Wink

More than a list it is a Necropolis... I wonder if one day there will be an apocalipsys day and instead of "Walkind Dead" we will have the Walking Coin...

LOL Cheesy
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 02:55:13 PM

Subbed.
Zugzwang

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:06:34 PM

And the undisputed winner is... coingen.
64dimensions

Activity: 578
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 03:19:38 PM

Two apparent IPO scams: EVO and AEC.
Cryddit (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 07:55:19 PM

Two apparent IPO scams: EVO and AEC.

I'll go have a look at 'em. 

But it may be a day before I get to it; I've been working on this for the last three hours at this point and I'm tired of it for right now. 

Today I went trolling through many pages of old altcoin announcements, looking for alts that had been launched.  I tried to avoid putting things on the list that were just jokes, or where the launch didn't actually happen, or those which were just preannouncements.  Then I went and filtered out those that have a current market cap indicating not-dead, then I added the ones that weren't already on the list.  This probably amounted to 40 to 60 altcoins new to the list, which were quietly sitting there dead when I started keeping track.

There is a significant chance I made mistakes.  People should check the work and see if there's anything false, or anything listed twice, or etc. 
elviselvis101

Activity: 573
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 10:48:26 PM

Could make 2 sections;

not so alive

proof of death

brokedummy
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 26, 2014, 11:29:19 PM

The main market for this coin is frozen. If one guy sells ten cents of CGA for a shitty price the coin is dead? You are going to have to remove from the list in a couple days.

Ninety days, minimum.  :-)  It looks like it had a market cap below US$5K from May 16 to May 23.  If it stays above $5K until August 23, I'll decide it's probably not just a fluke recovery. 

Thats when the market was frozen. Trust me I would have bought a lot if the market cap really dipped that low but it wasn't trading.
stevegreer
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Official Zeitcoin community ambassador

View Profile
May 27, 2014, 01:25:29 AM

Extensive list. I've been burned by a couple of those coins. But on the flip side, there are several I saw in your list that do still have active markets. Maybe nothing on the order of Doge, Dark, or anything like that, but market activity nonetheless.

IdealisticAnarchist

Activity: 41
Merit: 2

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:13:12 AM

If all the information about altcoins was in a wiki format...  THAT would useful.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 28, 2014, 02:50:21 AM

Aye, is there a crypto wiki somewhere that would host that, and then just put a link to it here? That would be a handier format.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: