Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:04:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 [342] 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 ... 532 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Closed Thread  (Read 677633 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
5000Bitcoins

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:03:12 PM

What in terms of network security does Node sacrifice to make instant transactions happend?

In some ways it is more secure. What you sacrifice is that it is possible for a "Bad" forger to get lucky every once in a while and if he just so happens to be ready he could forge a bad block. This is analogous to the ability of a "Bad" hasher with less hashing power getting lucky and hashing a block in BTC allowing him to double spend but a lot of things would have to go just right. VERY LOW probability. The thing it solves is the 51% attack because in a 51% attack the "Bad" Hasher can just out run the good ones and get almost all of the blocks. With PoA even if the "Bad" forger has 75% of the node Activity (I'm just going to call it that without going in to the math of spending verses time) the good nodes still get to forge 25% of the blocks making his double spend effective only 25% of the time and quickly revealing who he is. Basically the 51% attack has now become a 90% attack. also the network distribution should be better so it makes it harder to cut off a large portion of the network by disconnecting a few nodes.

Read more here http://eprint.iacr.org/2014/452.pdf it's not a fun read at all but there is some good stuff in there.

Hmm, okay. In what ways is it not more secure? I'll give it a read! Too much technicalities does indeed make it a hard read.  Smiley
whitecloud

Activity: 450
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:05:54 PM

Well, if NODE realy uses N*N topology we realy have a serious problem. If there are just 1000 nodes online many users will have problems as it's not uncommon that cheap consumer routers can't handle that much connections (or even more).

I have several times repeated, we use technology node.js. Node.js allows the use of both 100 000 connection. I'm not talking about the scalability peers, then we will go further. Node.js network application

Keep up the good work. If you build it, they will come. The dumpers will look back and see their error and we will all laugh about this. Node is either going to change the world or it won't, all the troubles in between are just steeping stones on the path.

A network is not just a theoretical number of connections.
Also means some physcaly infrastructure: routers, switches, etc
For those big numbers sure should be some state-of-the-art products.
You have the latest network technology in bedroom ?
How many simultaneous connections can eg your router or switch to have with torrents?
BlackMarket

Activity: 322

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:06:35 PM

too funny if you buy and sell NODE based on jl777 words. lol
do your own research and analysis. and make decision.
BlackMarket

Activity: 322

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Available Now!

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:09:57 PM

to add NODE to bittrex need 3 btc. what do you think ?
If you'd like to guarantee the launch of your coin and get additional marketing in our platform, we offer the option to spotlight your coin for 3.0 BTC.
https://bittrex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202583854-Submitting-a-Coin-to-Bittrex

Hmmm... 3btc is not that much! We could all cheap in, that will show the spirit of the community!

Too bad their coin scouting team... are stupid, this coins has such potential, and they are concentrating on some bullshit crapyCOins that bring no change... idiots

just my 2 cents =3

NODE promo fund 150,000,000
how if pay them with 3,600,000 NODE it's worth 3 BTC.
maybe they will accept  Grin
Gizfreak
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1000

Allergic to false promises

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:12:02 PM

newbie Question, sorry Undecided
I need to send Node for forging, or can I just leave them in my wallet ?
You need at least 500.000 NODE in your wallet for forging.
Just leaving the wallet opened is enough.
whitecloud

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:12:22 PM

Well, if NODE realy uses N*N topology we realy have a serious problem. If there are just 1000 nodes online many users will have problems as it's not uncommon that cheap consumer routers can't handle that much connections (or even more).

I have several times repeated, we use technology node.js. Node.js allows the use of both 100 000 connection. I'm not talking about the scalability peers, then we will go further. Node.js network application

Keep up the good work. If you build it, they will come. The dumpers will look back and see their error and we will all laugh about this. Node is either going to change the world or it won't, all the troubles in between are just steeping stones on the path.

How many simultaneous connections can eg your router or switch to have with torrents?

But personally I watched this team from the beginning.
I believe they are competent and think they can find the best solutions.
And NODE really is an extraordinary coin!
kyma

Activity: 479

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:16:20 PM

i don't think node needs a spotlight personally. most of the coins that end up in spotlight suck

misterycoins

Activity: 249

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:22:42 PM

Very nice ,thank you Smiley
3x2
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:24:11 PM

No need to pay bitrrex anything, we should be careful about this. Poloniex is a good option and no need to pay them either, if NODE is good enough more exchanges will at add it.
l8orre
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:33:10 PM

errrm ... How do I do that on a VPS? Probably there is something really obvious I am overlooking?

I can log in with a browser from remote, activate my nodes there, and when I close the browser window w/o logout, it stays active and forges ahead?

misterycoins

Activity: 249

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:33:50 PM

No need to pay bitrrex anything, we should be careful about this. Poloniex is a good option and no need to pay them either, if NODE is good enough more exchanges will at add it.

yes, poloniex is the best exchange at the time
sava0123

Activity: 393

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:36:24 PM

errrm ... How do I do that on a VPS? Probably there is something really obvious I am overlooking?

I can log in with a browser from remote, activate my nodes there, and when I close the browser window w/o logout, it stays active and forges ahead?

cd node/lib

edit clientConfig.js

accName: 'your passphrase'
l8orre
Legendary

Activity: 1181
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:38:19 PM

cd node/lib

edit clientConfig.js

Thanks!
haggis

Activity: 984

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:38:32 PM

cd node/lib

edit clientConfig.js

Probably this should be done within a 'screen' session Wink
rramires

Activity: 231

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:38:45 PM

But personally I watched this team from the beginning.
I believe they are competent and think they can find the best solutions.
And NODE really is an extraordinary coin!

If there 1000 clients open, does not mean that everyone needs to have 1000 open connections. Just keep a list of these 1000 and each client connects to 8 (the 8 first "responders").

I tested yesterday putting NodeCoin clients (opened in terminal server) on 5 continents on my servers at Amazon. I making transactions between them without problems.

Logical that when you have 1000 active clients with thousands of transactions, may take longer, but nothing compares to "slowest BTC".

Compared to when I did the same test with Monero, this was a shit, ate too much bandwidth!

Nodecoin is cool!
haggis

Activity: 984

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:43:43 PM

You got the point! It's not of interest how much connections Node.js can handle in theory. The bottleneck is the hardware the people are using. Don't understand me wrong, RealSilk, I don't want to FUD on Node as I think it's a great idea and all plus I'm personally invested. But we need to point out potential problems before they actually become a real problem.
TheRealSilk

Activity: 457

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:48:06 PM

You got the point! It's not of interest how much connections Node.js can handle in theory. The bottleneck is the hardware the people are using. Don't understand me wrong, RealSilk, I don't want to FUD on Node as I think it's a great idea and all plus I'm personally invested. But we need to point out potential problems before they actually become a real problem.

The fact is that the router does not send all but only a few PEER (main peers, and minor). They already sent farther it takes a fraction of milliseconds, read the post above https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=590421.msg9544254#msg9544254 (In principle, correctly explained the idea).

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇ ▇▇ ▇ ▇

Instant Transactions

Non Bloating BlockChain

▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇▇ ▇▇▇ ▇▇ ▇ ▇
    ▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇▇
jwilford

Activity: 123

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 06:57:07 PM

What in terms of network security does Node sacrifice to make instant transactions happend?

In some ways it is more secure. What you sacrifice is that it is possible for a "Bad" forger to get lucky every once in a while and if he just so happens to be ready he could forge a bad block. This is analogous to the ability of a "Bad" hasher with less hashing power getting lucky and hashing a block in BTC allowing him to double spend but a lot of things would have to go just right. VERY LOW probability. The thing it solves is the 51% attack because in a 51% attack the "Bad" Hasher can just out run the good ones and get almost all of the blocks. With PoA even if the "Bad" forger has 75% of the node Activity (I'm just going to call it that without going in to the math of spending verses time) the good nodes still get to forge 25% of the blocks making his double spend effective only 25% of the time and quickly revealing who he is. Basically the 51% attack has now become a 90% attack. also the network distribution should be better so it makes it harder to cut off a large portion of the network by disconnecting a few nodes.

Read more here http://eprint.iacr.org/2014/452.pdf it's not a fun read at all but there is some good stuff in there.

Hmm, okay. In what ways is it not more secure? I'll give it a read! Too much technicalities does indeed make it a hard read.  Smiley

Basically to give you the quick run down it encourages better network topology by discouraging pools because in order to join a pool you would have to give them your private key (at least the way it's coded now). Also since there is a random factor in there it makes it much harder for someone to take over the network. With Bitcoin it's a hashing race so if someone had enough hashing power they could just outrun everyone. Since it is somewhat random with node not only does someone have to control enough of the Nodes to get lucky enough to make double spending profitable but they also have to somewhat accurately guess when they will get selected to forge or they will either quickly get discovered and blacklisted or spend a bunch of real transactions trying to push through double spend transactions. It effectively turns a 51% attack to a 90% attack unless they want to risk forking the blockchain which would have an effect of crashing this asset that they have invested so much money in. There is A LOT more to it then what I just described but those were the main points to me and yes it is a very hard read. I often found my self having to go over some of those points a few times and I work in a technical field.
whitecloud

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:09:36 PM

The fact is that the router does not send all but only a few PEER (main peers, and minor). They already sent farther it takes a fraction of milliseconds, read the post above https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=590421.msg9544254#msg9544254 (In principle, correctly explained the idea).

It might be interesting to see how it looks network topology in NODE ? Graphically ?
Hueristic
Legendary

Activity: 3864
Merit: 5052

Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

View Profile
November 14, 2014, 08:21:39 PM

to add NODE to bittrex need 3 btc. what do you think ?
If you'd like to guarantee the launch of your coin and get additional marketing in our platform, we offer the option to spotlight your coin for 3.0 BTC.
https://bittrex.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202583854-Submitting-a-Coin-to-Bittrex

All exchanges add coins with high market transactions. No need to pay them, they will add just to get their cut.

yes, poloniex is the best exchange at the time

Agreed.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”
Pages: « 1 ... 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 [342] 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 ... 532 »
  Print  

Jump to: