Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 08:24:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:11:37 PM

i hope risto p. did not hit his hands on full load of shit this time.
still time to sell.
seems like we are ending to monopoly xmr, one person collecting soon 5% of daily mined coins.
yep, and only because of close source miner, claymore, he kills the coin.

Are you trolling....

GPU doesnt earn more coins than a high end CPU. I've tried mining with a GPU using Claymore's miner and got LESS than I did with my CPU and EC2 instances.

Claymore miner is horrible...and doesnt earn anywhere near 5% lmao.

ec2 is expensive..
i can run now 2.6khs on my gpus, its 30x cheaper than ec2
this costs me 1000w, count that

and see that when gpu miner came out, hash went from 3mhs to 12 mhs

Hashrate went up because there are lot more bitcoiners who have GPU's from mining previous coins. But as shown..The GPU miners for monero are not as good as even a high end cpu.

you are so late, no single cpu will over take gpu speeds anymore

ok, some high end cpu upto 800khs, but gpus do that too

Are you kidding....-facepalm-, please Read the claymore miner thread. High end CPU's are more effective than a GPU for monero at this point.

show me cpu running 1khs+ speeds?

Show me the GPU miner your using at 1ks+ then please.

Anyone can use a gpu to mine monero with the claymore miner...its not closed source.

no, its 2.67khs

yes anyone can use, but u cant se what is closed source..

aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:12:07 PM

The solution is to fund the open-source ATI miner bounty.  I plan to do it by using the Claymore miner, changing the donation address, and donating 100% of all mined coins to the bounty.
If 20% of the hash was on such a hacked Claymore, the bounty would run to 4500 coins per day.  I think we could get the work done pretty quickly at that rate.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
cisahasa
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:13:37 PM

The solution is to fund the open-source ATI miner bounty.  I plan to do it by using the Claymore miner, changing the donation address, and donating 100% of all mined coins to the bounty.
If 20% of the hash was on such a hacked Claymore, the bounty would run to 4500 coins per day.  I think we could get the work done pretty quickly at that rate.

idea, pools block the fee.
then pools dontate collected coins to open source miner
maybe 1000coins a day now banned from fees

cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:14:25 PM

Lol.  This is diabolical. Wink
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:16:46 PM

Please do it. Smiley

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
catarinman

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:17:59 PM

Do you support fimk?
canonsburg

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:28:09 PM

Yes, the bounty for open-source miner needs to be increased but I think there needs to be more activity on the miners to get things like this done.

For example, instead of waiting for someone to take up the challenge, how about scouting someone with talent?

I have already tried to convince someone that maintains another mining program unrelated to XMR to try to adapt his miner to hash XMR but was unsuccessful in getting that person to try.

Does someone out there have other connections, know some people that knows how mining programs work and try to adapt an existing miner to hash CryptoNight? (Personal think its easier to adapt an existing program rather than writing it from scratch).
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 06:41:37 PM

It is not rocket science. Performance tuning is 99% of the work. There are already people working on it.  I could do it but this more fun.  Let us redirect discussion to another thread.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=656841.0

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
HardwarePal

Activity: 565
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 30, 2014, 09:40:12 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2014, 10:32:03 PM by HardwarePal

Due to all the talk about Claymores Closed Source 5% Gpu Miner, I have paid Wolf to release his OpenCL for the Gpu miner on github and have some of the opensource community contribute and himself aswell.

The initial idea was to pay him 10BTC to do the project and release a working miner. I have changed plans due to Wolf being tired + pool owners wanting to cut Claymores 5% which could cause other bigger problems.

I paid him a total of 3BTC to release the code. He will be updating on the main Monero thread in a few hours.  

Here it is guys : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=671784.0
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:26:04 AM

I know nothing about EC2 but just an observation, the spike on this graph is almost 2 days prior to the biggest spike in XMR's price.  The network hashrate also went up at the time of the price spike not the the spike on your graph.

Thats because contrary to what dga is suggesting I doubt xmr mining does  have a significant impact on ec2 prices, this is in addition to the fact that this graph is showing 1 out of 5 regions and also 1 of the several different instances ec2 miners are using. Furthermore a spike in ec2 price 2 days before the spike in XMR net doesn't make sense for this scenario.

You'd be surprised.  Miners show up in a *very* big way on EC2 spot when the profit margins are high.  I've confirmed this with Amazon.

I know personally of one miner who spent $200,000 USD in the last 30 days on EC2, and another person told me they were "in a similar range."  I believe there are about 4-5 total who do this.  I will have spent $22,000, and my bids went as high as USD$0.31/hour during the peak margin times.

I suspect that there was at least $1m USD spent on AWS for mining by the top 6 cloud miners during June.  I'm probably under-estimating the total.

Also, looking back at it - the graph I posted is very hard to read, because what really matters is the fluctuation at the bottom (from 0.27 to 0.31 as the floor), not the huge spikes.  But it's there.

Thats cool, we'll agree to disagree, Ive been in XMR since the very beginning and could name the people your referring to. They may have increased slightly due to profit margins but they have also had huge hash rates regardless. The network has been majority owned by three or so people since the beginning. Anyways no need for shit slinging. Id be interested in your confirmation from amazon that XMR mining is solely responsible for the increase in spot prices.

Also its important to note that the profit margins involved with XMR mining haven't been particularly  high, for the vast majority of the time XMR has been traded on exchanges its actually been negative EV to mine and not buy. I did chart up cost price over time and lay the exchange price over it, Ill have to remember where I saved it.
bangersdad

Activity: 227

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 08:46:16 AM

Seems there has been some ferocious selling of XMR today - there was a lot of trolling at polo about VTR this morning - with some new anon feature being released which caused a migration from xmr to vtr. Does VTR have anything to offer? or is it just another pump and dump. Does it just use the coinjoin feature?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 11:12:07 AM

Seems there has been some ferocious selling of XMR today - there was a lot of trolling at polo about VTR this morning - with some new anon feature being released which caused a migration from xmr to vtr. Does VTR have anything to offer? or is it just another pump and dump. Does it just use the coinjoin feature?

It's just a mixer. Mixer are not anonymous.
darlidada

Activity: 723
Merit: 503

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 11:53:06 AM

We're on Bitcoinwisdom:

Poloniex: https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/poloniex/xmrbtc
Mintpal: https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/mintpal/xmrbtc

Risto managed to call BTC price for the first of July when we were in May. I cant wait for him to the same with XMR Wink
illodin

Activity: 966

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 11:56:14 AM

I don't know anything about any VTR, but if you can't prove who sent what to whom after a mixer has been used, isn't that anonymity for all practical purposes? Especially if any "academically more exciting" solution has more practical obstacles to overcome before mass adoption is possible?
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 12:02:20 PM

I don't know anything about any VTR, but if you can't prove who sent what to whom after a mixer has been used, isn't that anonymity for all practical purposes? Especially if any "academically more exciting" solution has more practical obstacles to overcome before mass adoption is possible?

A mixer do not make a transaction anonymous. It just mix transactions (as you can guess by the name) between peers but you can always retrace the transaction + find the IP of the sender.
It's totally useless. It's complete bullshit.
bangersdad

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 12:05:37 PM

A mixer do not make a transaction anonymous. It just mix transactions (as you can guess by the name) between peers but you can always retrace.

Thanks for your reply. yes sorry i was meaning vertcoin - the reddit post which explained how their "stealth" worked was so confusing i could not get my head round it. But yes it seems if you know the amount of VRT sent then you can trace it - and it is closed source as well. i just could not believe the huge spike in buys just after the stealth feature was released, thought it must be something good...but it just seems like its the latest alt to be focussed on by the pump and dumpers.
illodin

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 12:07:01 PM

you can always retrace the transaction

I'd need a second (and a third) opinion before I can accept that claim. That surely has to depend on how the mixer has been implemented as well, right?
HardwarePal

Activity: 565
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 12:07:59 PM

Nothing has currently created a decentralized and trustless anonymous feature other than Cryptonote coins . Other coins either use coinjoin or a mixer which both have huge flaws, even TOR for that matter is centralized. (80% is controlled from 1 server)

DRK is somewhat better even though using coinjoin but with only 140 masternodes (140K USD +- for someone to have 50% of them) and then you have bad actors.
bangersdad

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 12:17:51 PM

Nothing has currently created a decentralized and trustless anonymous feature other than Cryptonote coins . Other coins either use coinjoin or a mixer which both have huge flaws, even TOR for that matter is centralized. (80% is controlled from 1 server)

DRK is somewhat better even though using coinjoin but with only 140 masternodes (140K USD +- for someone to have 50% of them) and then you have bad actors.

Yes i now understand the true importance of cryptonote coins, i am glad i asked the question about vertcoin as it has helped me to really grasp the difference. True anonymity is important and will be even more so in the future to very wealthy individuals - and decentralised features are critical for this.
illodin

View Profile
July 01, 2014, 12:22:58 PM

There are 500 drk masternodes running at the moment, and to buy one you'd need $9,000. Within a month or so I believe there will be between 1000 and 2000. Not to mention if you start buying hundreds of them what would happen to the price.

Apparently mixer based bitcoin clone solutions are working on improving their anonymity, and cryptonote based solutions are working on improving their usability.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: