Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:35:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 256 »
  Print  
Author Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer  (Read 387451 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
nakaone

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:24:26 PM

Thing is with xcp is they are just arbitrary tokens and completely unnecessary, correct me if Im wrong but I seem to remember when researching when counterparty was first announced that the XCP tokens were a) not needed and b) essentially worthless.

they can be taken in escrow by the counterparty protocol (currently impossible with btc afaik) - so they have a purpose, but until know they are almost unused due to the mantra of the core developers that everything which can be done on the counterparty protocol with bitcoin, will be done with bitcoin.
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:28:35 PM

Thing is with xcp is they are just arbitrary tokens and completely unnecessary, correct me if Im wrong but I seem to remember when researching when counterparty was first announced that the XCP tokens were a) not needed and b) essentially worthless.

they can be taken in escrow by the counterparty protocol (currently impossible with btc afaik) - so they have a purpose, but until know they are almost unused due to the mantra of the core developers that everything which can be done on the counterparty protocol with bitcoin, will be done with bitcoin.

Thanks for jogging my memory I knew there was a reason the currency itself was essentially worthless and unused at this point in time.
devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:28:54 PM

But the way how it was distributed.. Meh, it'll be a stain for a long time.

NXT IPO lasted for 53 days, 28 Sep 2013 to 19 Nov 2013 when the Genesis Block was created.
Most IPOs these days run less than that and manage to attract much more capital than NXT did.
It's not NXT's fault that almost nobody did IPOs back in those days and most people were afraid to send any funds.
rpietila (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:32:25 PM

NXT IPO lasted for 53 days, 28 Sep 2013 to 19 Nov 2013 when the Genesis Block was created.
Most IPOs these days run less than that and manage to attract much more capital than NXT did.
It's not NXT's fault that almost nobody did IPOs back in those days and most people were afraid to send any funds.

IPO is not a way to distribute currency. Perhaps people in 2013 were more educated than the current ones  Roll Eyes

Just imagine how well NXT would be doing if the coin generation would have been set similar to XMR...

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
devphp

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:34:47 PM

IPO is not a way to distribute currency. Perhaps people in 2013 were more educated than the current ones  Roll Eyes

Just imagine how well NXT would be doing if the coin generation would have been set similar to XMR...

"IPO is not a way to distribute currency" is just an opinion. Since NXT poses as more than just a currency, you were right in saying that it's more like stock of a company, thus IPO is a natural way to distribute it. And because it is PoS, you can't distribute it as PoW, it's one or the other, can't have cake and eat it too Smiley
silencesilence
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 02:37:41 PM

you can always retrace the transaction

I'd need a second (and a third) opinion before I can accept that claim. That surely has to depend on how the mixer has been implemented as well, right?

I am assuming after minimal research that Vertcoins new "stealth address" feature actually IS somewhat different than just trustless mixing.  If it actually succeeds at strong privacy is another question I am still trying to answer.

I was lucky to be awake for the Vertcoin announcement and day traded (night traded? Wink myself a little cost free position in them.  So now a have a small pile of them sitting on an exchange, and will remain sleepily interested in them.

Would love to hear more insightful opinions.

Many people are not familiar with Vertcoin Stealth Address (First in the world), maybe you're one of them  Wink

At the moment, we’re working on stealth addresses in Vertcoin. Those of you have been around a while may remember, in the early days of VTC, there was some discussion over zerocoin implementation, and we made clear that anonymous/untraceable payments were not the direction we wanted to go with VTC – we are of the opinion that mainstream adoption won’t come from these features, and that they will actually damage the currencies that go down that route. The fact is, people don’t care about anonymity – if they did, they wouldn’t use social media etc.

However, we do believe in transactional privacy akin to what you expect from your legacy payment/banking systems, such that it’s not trivially easy for anyone to see your entire financial history.

Stealth addresses strike a good balance – all the transactions are still on the blockchain to be seen, but the link between an address and an individual is obfuscated. One thing that not many people seem to consider when talking about anonymity systems in cryptocurrencies is that true anonymous payments make all the blockchain tools you’re used to useless.

Stealth addresses increase privacy for a recipient by allowing you to publish a stealth address, which is like a seed which the sender then uses to generate a unique one-use Vertcoin address for the transaction. All the transactions remain public on the blockchain, but knowing the entire transactional history of your stealth address is now no-longer possible except for you, the holder of the secret key.

My resources about stealth addresses so far:
   Audio: http://coin.cubeconnex.com/poollist/media/Vertcoin_SX_VO.mp3
   Text, Pictures and Audio: http://coin.cubeconnex.com/poollist/ click on Stealth Address
    http://sx.dyne.org/stealth.html
    https://wiki.unsystem.net/en/index.php/DarkWallet/Stealth
    https://wiki.unsystem.net/en/images/e/e5/RHhNKL6.jpg
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 02:42:26 PM

I don't consider NXT to be a currency.  It is a useful commodity, and will have some swings which speculators may speculate upon.  The asset exchange is a great utility.  I wish the project good success.  I don't think substantial gains in long term value will be found by holding NXT, unless you can acquire so much that you are no longer liquid, in which case your gain is an unrealizable paper gain, which can only be cashed out by selling to a greater fool.

MSC/XCP functions can be better fulfilled on a blockchain which is not a currency.

I see two useful niches for currency:  Transparent and private liquidity niches.  BTC and XMR are the leaders in these two natural monopolies, XMR being much less mature.  BTC has no serious threats to dominance on the horizon.  XMR has one:  Zerocash.

Until and unless ZC can evolve so that it no longer requires a trusted mint,  I do not think it can succeed.  The overhanging risk of the mint defecting, and secretly issuing unlimited amounts of the currency, is just too great.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
David Latapie

Activity: 658
Merit: 503

Monero Core Team

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2014, 03:12:00 PM

Until and unless ZC can evolve so that it no longer requires a trusted mint,  I do not think it can succeed.  The overhanging risk of the mint defecting, and secretly issuing unlimited amounts of the currency, is just too great.
This and obscuring the whole economy, which makes it impossible to notice something is going wrong until it is too late. This later threat is more difficult to explain and more dangerous.

Monero: the first crytocurrency to bring bank secrecy and net neutrality to the blockchain.HyperStake: pushing the limits of staking.
Reputation threadFree bitcoins: reviews, hints…: freebitco.in, freedoge.co.in, qoinpro
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:18:21 PM

What the heck is MSC and XCP?
Mastercoin and Counterparty, both run on Bitcoin network as their transport blockchain.
Out of those two XCP is a better choice, but neither of the two can compare to NXT.
Bitcoin network is just slow to trade on.

I said it before but I repeat it :
Using 2 blockchains add the possible flaws/risks from both.
If you want a real innovative PoS, go for Nxt.

Don't forget how "fair" was the distribution of NXT.

( I missed the train, yeah, but still a fact. )

If PoS is your thing, BlackCoin has done improvements to PoS (and call it PoS 2.0) and has a very fair distribution. It didn't have IPO or premine, it was PoW mined by hundreds or thousands of people and traded actively at low prices. It still has pretty low price, surprisingly low in fact considering they are developing NightTrader, which is a decentralized exchange and BlackHalo, which is a smart contract client that allows you to trade/buy anything without having to trust the other party. Wasn't this something that's been needed for a long time? Also the maximum yearly inflation is only 1%, so it should make an excellent store of value.
CryptoGuu

Activity: 321

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:20:52 PM

The overall distribution in Bitcoin isn't really better as in NXT. And why are you so sure that does not almost all of XMR are mined by botnets? Mining isn't a better distribution, example: Bitcoins. And i also don't like the electricity wastage.
bigboom

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:27:53 PM

Mastercoin and Counterparty, both run on Bitcoin network as their transport blockchain.
Out of those two XCP is a better choice, but neither of the two can compare to NXT.

I said it before but I repeat it :
Using 2 blockchains add the possible flaws/risks from both.
If you want a real innovative PoS, go for Nxt.

Don't forget how "fair" was the distribution of NXT.

( I missed the train, yeah, but still a fact. )

If PoS is your thing, BlackCoin has done improvements to PoS (and call it PoS 2.0) and has a very fair distribution. It didn't have IPO or premine, it was PoW mined by hundreds or thousands of people and traded actively at low prices. It still has pretty low price, surprisingly low in fact considering they are developing NightTrader, which is a decentralized exchange and BlackHalo, which is a smart contract client that allows you to trade/buy anything without having to trust the other party. Wasn't this something that's been needed for a long time? Also the maximum yearly inflation is only 1%, so it should make an excellent store of value.

I quite appreciate MSC and XCP, as they run on Bitcoin network. It's amazing advantage.
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:45:38 PM

The overall distribution in Bitcoin isn't really better as in NXT. And why are you so sure that does not almost all of XMR are mined by botnets? Mining isn't a better distribution, example: Bitcoins. And i also don't like the electricity wastage.

"The overall distribution in Bitcoin isn't really better as in NXT." False. Bitcoin is still not even 75% floated.
As debated above, IPO of 100% of a currency,  up front, is not a strong recipe for mass adoption. There is little to no sunk cost for original/average holders (something like a paltry $2-3k total in this case - which makes me wonder - why didn't the NXT founders just match or beat that with their own money, and thus hold 50%+ of coins?), and thus incentive for original holders not to sell.

Bitcoin, on the other hand, with a slower distribution, every order of magnitude of growth brings in new buyers at a higher cost basis, and a lower number of "cheap buyers", lessening the chance of an original buyer crashing the market e.g. "1 million Satoshi Coins".

Fortunately for NXT holders, NXT has built itself many competitive advantages, so the market is unlikely to crash completely.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
keystroke

Activity: 900
Merit: 1014

advocate of a cryptographic attack on the globe

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 03:53:24 PM

Assuming the value would be in moving in and out of ZC to clean bitcoins, why would it be a bad thing if the mint issued unlimited amounts of the currency? Wealth could be kept in BTC and ZC could be held for short amounts of time to clean the BTC.

"The difference between a castle and a prison is only a question of who holds the keys."
drawingthesun
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:22:46 PM

Assuming the value would be in moving in and out of ZC to clean bitcoins, why would it be a bad thing if the mint issued unlimited amounts of the currency? Wealth could be kept in BTC and ZC could be held for short amounts of time to clean the BTC.

Because the last person holding the unlimited ZC loses once the last BTC is moved out.

Or, on a shorter time frame, the value of ZC would decrease as the supply inflates towards infinity and holding ZC for any period of time becomes a risk.

The situation will eventually deteriorate to the point that mixing your bitcoin ends up costing you 90%+ of their value.

Why would I move my bitcoin into a currency with an infinitely growing supply?
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 04:35:37 PM

XCP (and the Counterparty wallet) just blows me away. The potential of a coin to do where this is going is mind bending.
Looking into these 2.0 technologies. Not saying it will make you money, but the programmability and overall nature of
them is just incredible.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
bitcoinpaul

Activity: 910

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:40:42 PM

resp. Nxt rules Shocked
darkota

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2014, 05:42:17 PM

resp. Nxt rules Shocked

Yea, because of NXT's horrible distribution, it will never achieve much price wise.
arielbit
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 12:39:37 AM

I might be cementing a 40% loss in LTC if I sell it now. Should i sell anyway for xmr?

40% loss in ltc and 300% gain in monero....might happen, do the math  Smiley
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442

Antifragile

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 05:03:49 AM

I might be cementing a 40% loss in LTC if I sell it now. Should i sell anyway for xmr?

40% loss in ltc and 300% gain in monero....might happen, do the math  Smiley

One of the worst mistakes I have seen is holders not cutting their losses. I unfortunately waited a bit too long with Quark but still cut my losses at 40% or so!
It is hard to detach from our holdings at times. But when something better comes along, tides change, etc. move on (just keep an eye on the past investments)...

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
July 03, 2014, 07:09:08 AM

Nice to see an observer thread for Altcoins. I sense interest in Altcoins is picking up lately, if even because of LTC's fall in price  Cool Altcoins bring a lot of experimenting into the game from which we can all learn over time.

A fascinating environment.

Pages: « 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 ... 256 »
  Print  

Jump to: