Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:09:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][GRE] GreenCoin | On Bittrex now!  (Read 83604 times)
Truckfarmer

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:31:33 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2014, 07:36:13 PM by Truckfarmer

Awesome, thanks for the lightning quick response panda!

Yes I will have many more questions for Chris and welcome any additional info on the kg CO2 offset and how this effects the coin. The most promising thing in your post is it shows a willingness to adapt. People may be concerned about that after the Scrypt vs X11 arguments.

Have you guys considered these three things:

1) Compost producers
2) Organic fertilizer producers
3) Bicycling

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ncsupanda (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1628
Merit: 1012

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:40:11 AM

Yes I will have many more questions for Chris and welcome any additional info on the kg CO2 offset and how this effects the coin. The most promising thing in your post is it shows a willingness to adapt. People may be concerned about that after the Scrypt vs X11 arguments.

1) Compost producers
3) Bicycling

I happen to be a self acclaimed expert and fanatic regarding the first two. I own a company called Truckfarmer® which will be manufacturing the best quality organic fertilizers using waste management operations and other techniques. We're out of Greensboro, NC. Right now I'm still trying to come up with the $30k to get the operation kicked off. Alternatively a very small amount of free acreage for a large stake. You guys can email me here: zack@truckfarmer.net

Feel free to email me - ltwalz@ncsu.edu

Scrypt vs X11 - we are looking for global adoption, and with Scrypt Asics making Scrypt less niche, we opted for it. We are very adaptable, as most altcoins ought to be.

I can tell you that I personally haven't considered them, but I can't speak for all.
Truckfarmer

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 06:56:15 AM

Scrypt vs X11 - we are looking for global adoption, and with Scrypt Asics making Scrypt less niche, we opted for it. We are very adaptable, as most altcoins ought to be.

Agreed.

In terms of composting--- another great way to support GreenCoin! Pay people to start composting. Quantifying the value would be tricky but it could be done!
Lightsplasher

Activity: 371
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 05:38:52 PM

1) Compost producers
3) Bicycling

I happen to be a self acclaimed expert and fanatic regarding the first two. I own a company called Truckfarmer® which will be manufacturing the best quality organic fertilizers using waste management operations and other techniques. We're out of Greensboro, NC. Right now I'm still trying to come up with the $30k to get the operation kicked off. Alternatively a very small amount of free acreage for a large stake. You guys can email me here: zack@truckfarmer.net

I really like backyard composting.  I've shot some video on it and was thinking about posting it on the web but it's a bit um, “unusual, eclectic, not sure what to call it?”, so I doubt I'll post it.  Grin Kind of an “Adventures in Composting” video blog post but it could be edited for more mainstream appeal.

Making new soil is very nurturing in that you can see all that good dark soil being produced and locking up all that carbon into the ground.  I think you know by now I'm into biking too.

Adaptability and willingness too for open dialog is wonderful, it makes it easier to tweak things a bit and open up new possibilities. Great ideas Truckfarmer!
biodieselchris

Activity: 579
Merit: 500

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2014, 08:30:09 PM

WARNING: Not thru reading the thread yet.

But...this seems like a good place to jump in. I've been watching cryptos since bitcoin's first bubble, with that being said a lot of the financial theory has gone in one ear and out the other. Mostly because I had no faith in this economic system to begin with. As bias as I am, I've tried to learn as much as possible about finances since getting involved (mining & purchasing crypto) last winter. Mostly I tend to view crypto plainly, as digital commodities. I want to say above all else I appreciate the effort of the devs and the community here. This community has the potential to be fundamentally different from others simply because people getting involved either give a shit about the environment already, or will at the minimum be forced to consider it for a fleeting second when trading this coin. The devs seem like regular dudes, which is a good thing!

The initial concern I have is solar power. I hate to be the one to harpoon it like this but solar is overrated in my opinion. Lucky for you guys, that's somewhat good news because you aren't called SolarCoin.To me, when I look at the problems/tasks this society is faced with, solar power alone just can't mitigate those problems. With current technology it's not scalable at all. For example in the US, if we scaled solar grids up to our needs we wouldn't have anything to eat because it would take up 35-40% of total arable farmland. Unfortunately most places are not sunny deserts. Even many oceans, like those in the seas near Germany or Denmark, do not have sun and wind 24/7. Where are you going to put these things?

Now before I get accused of being a right winger...lemme just say...I am 100 million% a supporter of clean & green renewable energy...but I am also scientific. In the beginning you guys had a graphic with a large array. If I understood it correctly, it shows that the solar panels blow the power company out of the water in terms of efficiency. I'm not saying they don't. We just have to put into perspective how truly fucked and inefficient coal-based electricity is...

This is a good time to point out that some of the numbers you guys have been throwing out there are on the super conservative side...here are two sources showing 39-41% of US electricity usage is backed by fossil fuel power...to me that puts global carbon emissions from electricity higher than the 25% figure that was thrown out earlier...anyways...

http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=77&t=11
http://www.eia.gov/cfapps/ipdbproject/iedindex3.cfm?tid=2&pid=alltypes&aid=12&cid=regions&syid=2008&eyid=2011&unit=BKWH

From here on it gets grey for me...I'm not sure yet what all this means for you guys. One point I hope that shines through is to not put all your eggs in the solar basket. Look at how it's kicking Germany in the ass right now. We simply have better ways of heating shit up to make steam energy to power our toasters with ie fourth and fifth gen nuclear, integral fast reactors, etc. This is way France is the world leader in power and energy sufficiency...

One thing people are correct to point out is the inherent downward pressure on this coin. All cryptos have pressure to behave like digital gold and in GreenCoin's case, your digital gold happens to be worth $12 a metric ton. A large array like the one shown in the graphic will save 0.4 tonnes of CO2 emission a year, the equivalent of maybe $5. So where will the value in GreenCoin come from? There is more value in saving our planet than in CO2 trading, clearly. But the question remains if half a metric ton of prevented CO2 emissions a year per every two or three people WOULD save the planet?

Truckfarmer - thanks for these comments, we love discussing all things GreenCoin, how we got to where we are now, and how we can grow and expand.

We definitely agree that being a solar-only endeavor cannot answer the carbon problem alone. Around the world, carbon emissions from electrical power production only account for ~25% of the human total. The other huge carve-outs are for transportation fuel, farming/agriculture and deforestation, among others. In addition, at this time we are also inviting wind and biogas electrical producers to sign up though we have not gotten one of these producers yet. Another poster had mentioned that we need more producers, and this is very true and obviously an area we are trying to expand as quickly as possible.

Solar is a good entry market however because it is fairly pioneering in a way: energy production has been traditionally massively centralized. Home solar arrays have been the first real paradigm shift away fromt his centralization seen on any meaningful, large scale, to date. Carbon credits, which do exist in some form as imposed by some state governments (CA) and to a limited extent, the Feds, work better at the centralized size because the number of total players is relatively small. There doesn't exist a de facto carbon credit standard with no deminimus production size, like GreenCoin does for the"little guys." Therefore, with GreenCoin we tried to turn the model upside down, start with small, distributed Producers and grow the ecosystem based more on the number of participants than the total amount of carbon, and have the human interest drive the later stages (where bigger players participate), at which point you're solving the global problem quite nicely: big carbon is involved and big user numbers.

Another reason for advocating for solar initially (or more specifically, renewable grid-tied electrical production) is the ease of providing for a highly accurate carbon calculation. Governments are very good at writing reports and it is a widely published figure the amount of CO2 the world produces, on average, to produce 1 kWh of electrical power (we use the figure 527 gCO2/kWh currently - and 100% PV Solar is about 46 g).

We also have a biofuel producer on board that makes small scale home biodiesel that calculates carbon at 7.167 kg CO2/gallon biofuel. This is fairly conservative number. Biofuel is more challenging of a single carbon value to get to versus electrical power so the pathology here is to set a few high-level calculation standards and then work with each incoming producer to walk through their system. Our current biofuel producer makes biodiesel from waste vegetable cooking oil and that's about the highest carbon value you can get because the carbon intensiveness of growing a plant specifically for fuel does not need to be considered.

Introducing composting is really interesting. However we need some canonical standards on what is getting saved in terms of carbon. This is important to make sure we are comparing apples to apples. Consider the use case scenario where we want someone who took a cross country flight to consider investing in greencoin for their offset. They have a ~250 kg CO2 imperative for the flight. As a Foundation, we need to be sure we are offering a fairly accurate system for carbon pound for pound for this buyer. Electrical power is simple (46 g CO2 net for solar versus 527 g for global electrical) and biofuel (9 kg CO2 per gallon petro diesel versus ~2 for biodiesel). The difference is the amount offset, which is what generates the GreenCoin award. I want to look into many other useful activities, such as composting, because maybe as we grow we become the standard, but it seems lots of people are trying to answer the question on composting right now (example).

I have significant professional experience with anaerobic digestion and know the energy and carbon number there quite well. I mention this because AD is a lot like composting: organic matter remeidation into something useful. Ultimately, anaerobic digestion produces energy: carbon chains are broken down to acetate which is split into 1 CO2 + 1 CH4 per acetate. The CH4 (methane / natural gas) is burned and runs a turbine to produce power. So net net you remediate your waste (e.g., sewage into clean water) and make power. GreenCoin for this would be awarded at the power production meter. Composting does not release CH4 and therefore we cannot use this pathology. The really big question, and I'll look into this and if you do as well, I really appreciate the help, is to figure out what carbon impact a yard of compost has. It would need to replace some canonical global average for fertilizer, which is actually quite carbon intensive (yes, believe it or not for some folks, significant fertilizer production comes from oil, and as the fertilizer decays it releases this stored carbon into the air). Composting is renewable, the same as biofuel, because the carbon cycle introduces no new CO2 (all CO2 being released was absorbed to grow the organic matter within a meaningful lifetime). We figure out those numbers and the GreenCoin Foundation can edict composting figures, and now you are a bona fide greencoin producer as a composter. Let's definitely discuss it together.

On a side note, the Foundation is really just me doing energy calcs and ncsupanda doing the coin development. I usually act in a conservative manner towards calculations so as a single entity I can be as defensible as possible on the carbon storag figures. If I have other players, experts and what not, weighing in, it makes the job of issuing new carbon data more community based and legitimate for these new entries like composting. I would like to grow the Foundation advisors and members this way so something to consider being a part of.

Solar doesn't require arable farm land (that's more of a biofuel argument) so I just wanted to point that out. The average solar radiation reaching the US surface is about 200 W/m2. The amount of total surface area you would need to account for our current electrical power needs is actually quite manageable. The biggest problem with solar is the intermittent power nature. It is generally considered an outright win if energy storage technology caught up with solar technology.

With all of that said I'm glad to see so much high value activity on the forum recently. I have a lot more to get through and I'll try to respond over the next couple of days to all of the other comments and ideas. I'm traveling a bit now as panda said so I apologize if I cannot get right back. Thanks for posting!

Lightsplasher

View Profile
November 22, 2014, 10:40:28 PM

One point that comes to mind after reading this thread over is that I feel it is important to think about things in a system wide (globally sustainable) way.  It seems like this could bit hard to quantify mathematically because of the vast array of factors effecting things, most of which we probably don't even have a clue about, but great job in getting some figures out there to follow!

Many people live off grid on solar power alone.  It is not an easy thing for the typically family to think of trying to do, yet it can be done.  Solar panels are continuing to get more efficient and you don't have to factor in power loss through transmission or the energy required to maintain and initially produce all of the transformers, wires, poles, billing systems, etc...  I think it is a worthy technology for GreenCoin to promote and by going this way could lead to better more efficient sustainable cleaner power generation as production efficiencies are constantly being made. 

My gut tells me solar is a step in the right direction although arguably not currently a complete solution in of itself, and I'd purchase panels if I didn't live in an abysmally dark, cold, rainy place with no steady job, my cat died, etc....  (sounds of little violins start gently playing)  Grin

One other comment on PoS.  Most of my dedicated hardware for PoW mining is a stones throw away from the junkyard at this time. (Seems like I just purchased it)  Getting newer more efficient hardware to get back into profitable mining is a race.  There are a lot of cost estimates around how much of a carbon footprint it costs to produce an item and any type of advanced hardware pays a toll in the environment and health of the workers that make it at this point.  Anytime we can do the same task through software or system wide efficiencies rather than hardware changes or additional resource depletion, we are miles ahead in solving the carbon issues imho.  I think the choice of merge mining with scrypt was a good one for this reason and I think adding PoS could help too.

As always just my two cents worth, nice dialog everyone and nice work on the coin guys!
Truckfarmer

View Profile
November 24, 2014, 04:04:37 AM

Thanks for the response guys, sorry it's been a crazy week. I would have posted sooner if I could. Also, Chris and I come from very different directions, which is ok, that just makes me slow because I like to take a thorough approach to new ideas.

I'm going to save the solar debate for another day, my feelings towards it are not adversarial and we have more interesting things to discuss right now imo.

Jumping right in about AD...don't know much about it. I bet that stuff probably stinks though! It sounds like a totally different process from what I know. Of course with composting you specifically want to avoid an anerobic environment. Meats, diary, things that generally contribute to an anerobic situation...I have NEVER used manure or any other form of dookie. Is that what you really want to be feeding your food with? I'm big on sugar free diets...aka paleo...and I think many aspects of agriculture should work on the same principles. Our domestication of food has gotten out of hand in many ways. Animal waste management is a huge area of that. We're feeding it back to them in some cases. Chickens and pigs don't even eat on the open range any more. You have to find special animals for that.

If we're being conservative about composting, there are a lot of "smart" people who will argue it releases GHG, etc. But I'm sure that wholly depends on what you're composting. I've read many papers, including one that is supposed to cost about a hundred bucks, and I know scientifically what a good mix looks like and you are definitely using carbon...ie newsprint, cardboard, etc...We're probably talking 15% max? Maybe a bit higher. Worms love them some cardboard--- they add a whole different dimension to the topic.

I've heard of piles of pure animal waste...I've seen man-made horse piles. Not pleasant, I mean there is a reason horses do not collectively shit and piss out a mountain of steaming doom...people will compost that for a season, maybe two if you're lucky, and throw it in a bag. In a zone like mine you need at least two years for all the bad crap from the urine alone to evaporate. There's your source of GHG. It's just not a good look. Like I said, I would never use animal waste in my compost. EXCEPT guano and maybe 5% chicken shit.

I read a paper by a big industry scientist who said composting put off up to 4.2 lbs/CO2 per lb of compost. I guarantee you with a few test runs you could make a carbon and GHG reducing pile.

Here's a government paper that seems more balanced: http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/wycd/waste/downloads/composting-chapter10-28-10.pdf

Chris, I assume when you mentioned fertilizer you were referring to chemical fertilizer? Very intensive. Not really too great for your plants either. Organic methods have been shown academically to increase yield and individual crop sizes x1.5-4 more than chemical fertilizer. So just exponential compared to no fertilizer.

The crunching the numbers thing would involve a lot more reading and reflection, at least on my part. But I suspect one of the keys will be this. I've gone stretches up to 2 mos without taking my trash to the curb. If you cut trash pick up down to once a month youre saving a lot of carbon with mass adoption. I would keep down those lines, consider the carbon that would be saved by substitution of activity.
biodieselchris

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
November 24, 2014, 08:33:40 PM

Thanks for the response guys, sorry it's been a crazy week. I would have posted sooner if I could. Also, Chris and I come from very different directions, which is ok, that just makes me slow because I like to take a thorough approach to new ideas.

Can you explain further what you mean by "come from different directions"? I consider myself to take a careful approach to new ideas as well.

Truckfarmer

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 01:06:04 AM

directions, backgrounds...I was just trying to highlight the different sets of information between individuals. like for example the regular discussions I have with my friends on these topics tend to be more homogenous
Lightsplasher

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 08:44:13 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2014, 08:54:26 PM by Lightsplasher

Hi GreenCoin community!  I'm trying to kick off the first GreenCoin holiday season PoB ride.  Please sign up by sending me a PM or posting to the  Proof of Biking (PoB) campaign here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=820255  Details are on the posting at PoB, both Biodieselchris and I are first riders.
Stinky_Pete

Activity: 560

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 08:56:23 PM

Someone stole my bike a few weeks ago  Angry

Have a good ride  Smiley

Digithusiast

Activity: 886
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:13:19 PM

Came across the Proof of Biking campaign in the other coin thread, saw the Greencoin logo and started reading about Greencoin in this thread.
The Greencoin goal is great, and on top of that Greencoin seems to be supported by a dedicated and reliable dev and community.
Only one of those two is already a scarcity in cryptoworld, let alone the combination of the two. So I'm gonna follow and get into Greencoin too. Cheers to all.
Lightsplasher

View Profile
November 25, 2014, 09:28:51 PM
Last edit: November 25, 2014, 09:44:19 PM by Lightsplasher

Someone stole my bike a few weeks ago  Angry

Have a good ride  Smiley

Sorry about your bike Stinky_Pete.  Hey, maybe Google will invent a self driven solar electric bike that we can communally use.  Just push a button and the closest bike not in use comes to you.  We might have to solve a small economic wealth distribution issue for that to work well though.  Grin

PoR is part of the program too.  Walk, run, bike... Thanks for comments all, it makes me happy to be a part of all this!
CryptoBlox

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2014, 08:07:42 PM

Hey guys, looking for some help with the greencoin deamon.  I cannot for the life of me get connections out of the latest version.  Since updating a while back it's been hit and miss for getting any sort of conenctions for the daemon to run.  The new version also seems to hang a LOT.  I've tried the addnodes in the OP and also the ones that were posted 3 pages back that were stated as stable with little result.

Anyone else run into these issues and how were they resolved.  I've deleted and reinstalled several times, new wallets, etc.

Please let me know because I cannot get the faucet to operate without the deamon getting blocks.  The Block Explorer is also lagging big time.

www.CryptoBlox.com - 10+ Faucets, Block Explorers, Resources, and Mining Portal!

BTC = 1G1gKi3V5hvdB1ghYu4MykGGrJ2jfjqpm3
iHashFury

Activity: 141

View Profile
November 28, 2014, 10:44:10 AM

Hey guys, looking for some help with the greencoin deamon.  I cannot for the life of me get connections out of the latest version.  Since updating a while back it's been hit and miss for getting any sort of conenctions for the daemon to run.  The new version also seems to hang a LOT.  I've tried the addnodes in the OP and also the ones that were posted 3 pages back that were stated as stable with little result.

Anyone else run into these issues and how were they resolved.  I've deleted and reinstalled several times, new wallets, etc.

Please let me know because I cannot get the faucet to operate without the deamon getting blocks.  The Block Explorer is also lagging big time.

Code:
greencoind addnode 188.226.195.137:11036 add
should work
biodieselchris

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 07:40:37 AM

Looking forward to the chain coming back online. If you don't get it working with the addnode that iHashFury suggested feel free to message ncsupanda for help.

iHashFury

Activity: 141

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 10:58:57 AM

Code:
ihashfury@ice:~$ greencoind getinfo
{
    "version" : 90100,
    "protocolversion" : 70006,
    "walletversion" : 60000,
    "balance" : 0.00000000,
    "blocks" : 238955,
    "timeoffset" : 0,
    "connections" : 19,
    "proxy" : "",
    "difficulty" : 119.96825056,
    "testnet" : false,
    "keypoololdest" : 1416412367,
    "keypoolsize" : 101,
    "paytxfee" : 0.00000000,
    "mininput" : 0.00001000,
    "errors" : ""
}

Running with 19 connections.

Code:
greencoind addnode 188.226.195.137:11036 add
to connect  Wink
biodieselchris

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:02:49 PM
Last edit: November 29, 2014, 06:22:06 PM by biodieselchris

I would like to open the floor for ideas on getting composting added to GreenCoin. The most significant "final answer" is to get to a net weight of CO2 that is ultimately sequestered per unit weight of compost.

Currently we have two distinct types of producers in the GreenCoin ecosystem: PV solar (electric power) and biodiesel (liquid/transportation fuel, waste-vegetable oil source)

• For electrical the calculation is 0.527 kg CO2 [global average to produce 1 kWh of electricity) - 0.046 kg CO2 (PV solar equivalent to produce 1 kWh electricity) = 0.481 kg CO2 offset per kWh
  • Biodiesel (from WVO): 9.167 kg Co2/gallon petro-diesel impact - 1.969 kg CO2 biodiesel impact = 7.167 kg CO2 offset per gallon

We know that, eventually, GreenCoin will need to encompass agriculture, farming and forestry to have the total CO2 offset impact required in order to address the total carbon picture. So at some point we need to just dive in and get started. I've been reading some interesting information about composting and soil management benefits, existing carbon standards such as the ACR, and a bunch of other resources over the past couple of days. The trick is to come up with a good single number that relates compost CO2e to the same CO2e seen with the likes of PV solar.

The ACR published a report with a detailed calculation for compost added to rangeland here (pages 24-31). This is an EXTREMELY detailed calculation. The general pathology with these types of reports is to take a look at massive projects because, in general, these reports are for the benefit of governments (in this case the State of California) to make informed decisions on how to distribute carbon throughout their carbon tax or Cap & Trade system they have legislated, and therefore projects have a deminimus size to be considered useful.

With GreenCoin we like to take a more "bottom up" approach; looking at carbon from a small scale, like an individual user or small Producer, and then multiplying that effect across a large population set (should GreenCoin be considered useful and grow considerably, of course). There are several reasons for this:

- it is much simpler to calculate carbon offset effects
- the individual user is engaged much more easily. They can see what kind of difference they are actually making by the decisions they make
- Ultimately the responsibility of carbon belongs with everyone, and the global effect of climate change is exactly equal to [Everyone's Effect * Everybody], so engaging the end user individually is an absolute imperative, in our opinion

For me it is difficult to see how spreading compost over 1000 hectares in California and studying it over 40 years is really so great for the environment that it's worth paying for. It's just too abstract. And I'm a pretty smart guy when it comes to carbon, or at least I feel I am engaged and "paying attention" so to speak, so when I see other folks that take a look at these things and think "what a giant waste of taxpayer money, screw this carbon bullshit," I mean, I have a lot of sympathy for that. What we are really talking about here, for most of us anyway, is cost. So the dialogue now is what's the cost and how do pay for it? for which at GreenCoin we provide a potential answer: a distributed, market-based system of private ownership.

So with carbon as it relates to organic matter and recycling/reclamation, I was thinking of taking this opposite, bottom-up approach, and then determining if the result was at least theoretically similar to the likes of an ACR calculation, and a good agreement there means we have something that we could go to war with. I present a calculation below but will need to determine a mechanism for comparison to the ACR and update further.

Americans threw away 254 million tons of stuff in 2007 and 28.3% of that was organic matter ("green waste"). Food waste is particularly bad at being recovered, only 2.6%, and yard waste is pretty good at 64.1%.

• 1 lb of food/green waste is about 70-80% water or a minimum of 0.2 lb organic matter
  • of the organic matter about 50% is molecular carbon (equal to about 0.1 lb C per pound of food)
  • 0.1 lb pure C is worth 0.367 lbs CO2e, or 0.167 kg CO2e*
  • Americans toss about 4.6 lbs of trash a day of which 1.25 lbs is food waste (per capita)
  • The average American daily impact from green waste (yard and food) is therefore 0.21 kg CO2e per day

* note, pure carbon (C) weighs 12 g/mol and CO2 weighs 44 g/mol. This is commonly known as CO2e (carbon dioxide equivalent) so folks are always comparing apples to apples on weight.
* These calculations are quite simple and "back-of-the-envelope." I present them to invite refinement and debate. Also, it helps to show simplicity to further highlight a key benefit of the GreenCoin model.

So that's about the same amount of carbon in green waste as generating 0.5 kWh per person, per day, of green power (such as solar). That's not a big impact but it's a real impact if you spread that across 300 M people. Also, it is a "tangible" impact. When you throw away a day's worth of food at home that would ultimately be landfilled, you threw away 0.5 kWh of green energy. That's 50 full cell phone charges. This is the type of impact I think people can relate too.

I feel significantly convinced that food and green waste presents substantial greenhouse gas reduction potential. I propose offering GreenCoin in the amount of 0.167 kg CO2 per lb of food or green waste. Since most people compost by unit volume, I think 1,000 lbs/yard is a good starting point, so that is 167 kg CO2 per yard of compost. A cubic yard is 202 gallons so 1 gallon of compost = 0.825 kg CO2e.

Reporting: For reporting purposes, a composter could simply report the compost unit weight (preferable) or volume once the the compost is finished. For folks at home who have food/yard pick-up, the GreenCoin credit should ultimately reside with the composter (the municipality, for example). Considering there is not a lot of municipal food waste pick-up in the US, we can push for backyard composting as being the big push. I would hope to make more of a dent in food waste where the recovery is quite pathetic.

When it comes to compost use, I was very happy to read about evidence for a kind of upward-spiraling, virtuous "carbon cycle," that I linked to above. This premature data of additional carbon sequestration, if true, won't be caught in the GreenCoin calc per se, but it does highlight an additional benefit of the power of people changing their carbon habits and mindset in small ways and how that may translate to future benefits toward our environment and climate future that are hard to predict with today's data. This gives an element of hope too; that we have the ability and power to make powerful changes in a meaningful timeframe, and with a lot of the doom-and-gloom type news coverage of climate inevitability, I like having that hope abound.

allcoinminer

Activity: 784
Merit: 504

View Profile
November 29, 2014, 06:12:01 PM

So, you are putting composting to the Green Coin.
When will it be started? My compost yard is on the making for my farm.
biodieselchris

CoinQuacker

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2014, 06:17:19 PM

So, you are putting composting to the Green Coin.
When will it be started? My compost yard is on the making for my farm.

we could start it fairly soon but I definitely want some feedback on the methodology and such.

As for you, how much compost do you think you make in a year?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 »
  Print  

Jump to: