Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:17:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 [942] 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] [CLOAK] Cloakcoin | No Premine | X13 | Decentralized Market and PoSA  (Read 1266168 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
DentIt

Activity: 181
Merit: 19

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:17:29 PM

And that's silly, what would stop ANY closed source coin or software from inserting a backdoor?

That's EXACTLY my point. That's why no closed source coin can ever be trustless.

I don't get it.  Why would open-source be a requirement of trustless anonymity?  If it works then it works, which the audit will determine.

It's really not that complicated. If you have to trust someone/-thing, it's not trustless. Even if the auditor would declare the current code "trustless", you still would have to trust his judgement and honesty, and also trust the devs to not introduce new flaws(or even intentional backdoors) into the code with a later update. That's why open source is so important in the crypto community.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Reoelliott

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:23:22 PM

it's supposedly trustless anon using ring escrow but pending an audit of course.

So who is that auditor that every user of CLOAK would blindly trust with their money? And how would that be "trustless"? And what would stop the devs from inserting a backdoor into the closed source AFTER the audit? Or would all development stop after the audit?

[21:42:53] <svenp> who will be auditing it?
[21:42:57] <Blink^> ^
[21:43:06] <DITitit> because you would have to trust that person(s) Blink^
[21:43:09] <DaveyJones> id say first the audit... after that let the community decide
[21:43:28] <Blink^> w/o any audit or checks, it is nothing but a GUI change and promises
[21:43:34] <@alty> Well, why not let the community select an auditor then as a first step
[21:43:40] <@cashmen> Smiley

Also, I can tell you didn't download or test the new wallet at all since you said it's just a UI redesign when the UI is practically the same.

I can read the IRC myself, thanks. You didn't answer my question though. How would an audit in any way make CLOAK trustless if it remains closed source and the devs can make any changes they want at any time without anyone ever noticing? Trustless and closed source are mutually exclusive.

Comon guys, They were honest enough to reveal the first Audit and in turn put their entire coin at stake to begin with, I think this has already proved enough honesty and integrity from alty!!!
DaveyJones

Activity: 768
Merit: 505

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:24:25 PM

And that's silly, what would stop ANY closed source coin or software from inserting a backdoor?

That's EXACTLY my point. That's why no closed source coin can ever be trustless.

I don't get it.  Why would open-source be a requirement of trustless anonymity?  If it works then it works, which the audit will determine.

It's really not that complicated. If you have to trust someone/-thing, it's not trustless. Even if the auditor would declare the current code "trustless", you still would have to trust his judgement and honesty, and also trust the devs to not introduce new flaws(or even intentional backdoors) into the code with a later update. That's why open source is so important in the crypto community.

I will agree... but that is to happen when the coin got its name back, so other copycats dont pump their coins with it
DaveyJones

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:24:46 PM

it's supposedly trustless anon using ring escrow but pending an audit of course.

So who is that auditor that every user of CLOAK would blindly trust with their money? And how would that be "trustless"? And what would stop the devs from inserting a backdoor into the closed source AFTER the audit? Or would all development stop after the audit?

[21:43:09] <DaveyJones> id say first the audit... after that let the community decide
[21:43:28] <Blink^> w/o any audit or checks, it is nothing but a GUI change and promises
[21:43:34] <@alty> Well, why not let the community select an auditor then as a first step

Also, I can tell you didn't download or test the new wallet at all since you said it's just a UI redesign when the UI is practically the same.

I can read the IRC myself, thanks. You didn't answer my question though. How would an audit in any way make CLOAK trustless if it remains closed source and the devs can make any changes they want at any time without anyone ever noticing? Trustless and closed source are mutually exclusive.

Comon guys, They were honest enough to reveal the first Audit and in turn put their entire coin at stake to begin with, I think this has already proved enough honesty and integrity from alty!!!

true
DentIt

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:26:57 PM

Trust: -4: -1 / +0(0)
Warning: Trade with extreme caution!

How ironic Wink

Edit: By the way, that audit was done by one of the second team devs (mrgnome), and they only revealed the result because the other devs and mrgnome had an internal disagreement and mrgnome would have made his audit public if alty hadn't acted first.
Cloakko

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 05, 2014, 09:39:00 PM

Show me the white paper of POSA v3 and then we'll talk.

And by white paper, I mean a technical one, not a fancy pdf.

XC | XST
bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 01:14:23 AM

Kristov Atlas if he is available?

Dan Metcalf would be a good choice as well.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 03:10:40 AM

Show me the white paper of POSA v3 and then we'll talk.

And by white paper, I mean a technical one, not a fancy pdf.

OK, I'll ask Alty to scan the cocktail napkin.  He has to clean the puke off it first, since dagger was very drunk last night.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
mrrgnome

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 03:51:58 AM

How ironic Wink

Edit: By the way, that audit was done by one of the second team devs (mrgnome), and they only revealed the result because the other devs and mrgnome had an internal disagreement and mrgnome would have made his audit public if alty hadn't acted first.

I'd be happy to audit the code again on behalf of the community, but if it is closed source only then I'm willing to bet the devs are doing what they long petitioned me to let them get away with previously and are simply encrypting some trustless blockchain like record. Decompiling the source will likely yield the encryption key and break either the trustless or anonymous features of their spec, depending on how they have rigged up the protocol. That's probably why it is closed source. Won't know until it's audited.
mikerutch

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:26:08 AM
Last edit: October 06, 2014, 08:01:16 AM by mikerutch

How ironic Wink

I'd be happy to audit the code again on behalf of the community, but if it is closed source only then I'm willing to bet the devs are doing what they long petitioned me to let them get away with previously and are simply encrypting some trustless blockchain like record. Decompiling the source will likely yield the encryption key and break either the trustless or anonymous features of their spec, depending on how they have rigged up the protocol. That's probably why it is closed source. Won't know until it's audited.

Lmao, Alty begging you to let him get away with that!....what a crook he is!!!,  hats off to you sir for not letting this crook not successfully scam people. And to you Alty you pathetic weed ya coins dead and any ass clown that invests into this scam now is semi retarded. The so called "HOLY GRAIL" of crypto being onemarket is already being looked at by a number of other coins. Alty= fail
igor107th

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 06:40:47 AM

cloak is dead look  Grin
ketos

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 06:56:26 AM

is he getting somone to look at it?
DaveyJones

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 08:22:32 AM

sure let the main dev of another alt have a look into the code ... you must be kidding me
c4shm3n

Activity: 719

CLOAK Private,Secure & Untraceable Digitalcurrency

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2014, 10:22:49 AM

sure let the main dev of another alt have a look into the code ... you must be kidding me

+1

it must be neutral person and not a dev of another coin

,╓▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄╓                
            ╓▄█████████████████▄╖           
         ╓▄█████▀▀'▒,,,,,╠'▀▀█████▄,        
       ,▓███▀╜,▄▄███████████▄▄,╙▀████╖      
      ▄███▀ ▄█████▀▀"``╙"▀▀█████▄ ▀███▄     
     ▓███╜╓████▀ ,▄▄█████▄▄, ▀████,╙███▌    
    ▓███`╔███▀ ╓▓███▀▀▀▀▀████╖ ▀███@"███▌   
   ]███▌┌███▌ ▐███         ███▄ ▐███ ▐███,  
   ▐███ ▐███ .███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ▐███ ▐███ '███           ███  ███▌ ███▌  
   ]███@╙███@ ▀██▌        ,▄██▌ ▐███ ▐███`  
    ▓███ ▐███▄ ╙██▀╩     9███╜ ╔███▀,███▌   
     ████,╙███▌               ▓███╜,████    
      ▀███▄ ▀╜                 ▀▀ ▄███▌     
       ╙████▄,                 ╓▄████╜      
         ╙█████▄▄╓,       ,╓▄▄█████▀        
            ▀▀█████████████████▀▀           
                '▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀'

CloakCoin | CloakCoin Private, Secure, Untraceable & Decentralized Digitalcurrency |  Enigma
Chat | Bitcointalk | Twitter | Forum |  Facebook |  VK |  Reddit |  CloakTV |  Instagram | Faucet
DentIt

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 11:13:27 AM

+1

it must be neutral person and not a dev of another coin

I vote for mrgnome!
jorrr

Activity: 588

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 11:15:17 AM

i just noticed that if i don't post every page on bitcointalk nobody misses my comments...  Cry Cry Cry
bangomatic
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

ARK Team likes to ban and delete posts in reddit.

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:37:30 PM

Kidding? not at all.  I would trust his audit.  And if you guys want the code to be open source then why wouldnt you want another dev looking at the code?  I'd rather see the code audited and if it passes audit then stay closed source until cloak can get rolling again.
lab rat hoax

Activity: 1030
Merit: 502

★777Coin.com★ Fun BTC Casino!

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 02:48:10 PM

I trust mrgnome, let's take him up on his offer

DentIt

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 03:02:12 PM

And if you guys want the code to be open source then why wouldnt you want another dev looking at the code?

That's the thing. Alty says open source isn't going to happen anymore, since the biggest CLOAK bagholders investors are against it. He is basically giving up on true trustless anon because they are too afraid other developers may "steal their shit". Me personally, I rather suspect that he isn't open sourcing so we don't see how much of the current code has been copied from other coins in the last few days just to get a closed source wallet working, so he can show it off as "proof of development".
btcspender

Activity: 109

View Profile
October 06, 2014, 04:21:21 PM

I trust mrgnome, let's take him up on his offer

Might as well he seems willing.

That's the thing. Alty says open source isn't going to happen anymore, since the biggest CLOAK bagholders investors are against it. He is basically giving up on true trustless anon because they are too afraid other developers may "steal their shit". Me personally, I rather suspect that he isn't open sourcing so we don't see how much of the current code has been copied from other coins in the last few days just to get a closed source wallet working, so he can show it off as "proof of development".

Did Alty say this in irc?
It's a terrible decision, if any investors want a successful long term investment with huge returns then open source is the way to go.
Pages: « 1 ... 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 [942] 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 »
  Print  

Jump to: