Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 07:44:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [XMR] Monero Mining  (Read 264667 times)
5w00p

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:42:01 AM

It could be worse.

If you don't mind it being on, you could let it hash for at least a few days.
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1115

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:47:08 AM

Complete mining newbie reporting in, with some questions.

Decided to dabble in xmr mining a bit, to support the network, and put any hypothetical earnings into the dev address, as per smooth's suggestion. Getting started on Amazon's EC2 as well, but also wanted to see if I can put my Macbook to use... here's the result:

I might as well turn it off, right? I'm adding about 40 H/s, which is for all practical purposes negligible, correct?

It's not much. You might want to be especially careful with a macbook. I don't have any first hand knowledge, but I've read on the internet (it must be true!), that mac's tend to be particularly prone to damage caused by overheating, due to either apple's thin form factor that leads to poor heat dissipation, or they just limit the fans so the laptop can't get as noisy.

With that being said, I have an i5 hp lappie that I mostly leave at school (free power), that has been mining monero and other stuff on four threads for the past year or so with no problems at all.
circa1O

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:47:39 AM

need help please... i am mining xmr in my gpu can i mine in cpu also at the same time?
if possible how can i set it up thanks in advance...
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:49:38 AM

need help please... i am mining xmr in my gpu can i mine in cpu also at the same time?
if possible how can i set it up thanks in advance...

Use either wolf miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=632724.0
open source

Or use yam miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=660758.0
closed source
pallas
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094

Black Belt Developer

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:50:47 AM

Complete mining newbie reporting in, with some questions.

Decided to dabble in xmr mining a bit, to support the network, and put any hypothetical earnings into the dev address, as per smooth's suggestion. Getting started on Amazon's EC2 as well, but also wanted to see if I can put my Macbook to use... here's the result:

I might as well turn it off, right? I'm adding about 40 H/s, which is for all practical purposes negligible, correct?

just don't expect it to pay the electricity it consumes, not even if you sell at 3x the current price ;-)

oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:54:03 AM

Thanks for the answers Smiley

My point isn't so much efficiency, it's just that I do note my mac being less responsive, so if it doesn't really do much and it's a bit of a nuisance, I'd rather only do the mining via ec2 alone.

Another question: since I don't control the dev's address, and I have no way of seeing what is inside, is there any way to make sure I do actually transfer mining income into their control, i.e. I didn't fuck something up in the setup?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
papa_lazzarou

Activity: 649
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 11:57:54 AM

This is a detailed guide to setup cloud miners (cpu+gpu) on Amazon EC2. I put together this guide for user oda.krell, who was kind enough to give me a very nice tip for it, so thanks should also go to oda.krell.

You could also configure it for the script to start automatically at system startup. This way you would only have to launch the instance or instances and you'd be mining.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12973777/how-to-run-a-shell-script-at-startup

And maybe create an AMI with this with the DEV fund address and anyone who would want to just had to launch the instances without having access them to configure stuff. Thus lowering the barrier to entry.

The instructions would be cut in half to get an account and launch your instances.

I'll only be able to do this this evening (and don't even know if people would trust my AMI), so if some trusted member of the community could set it up earlier it would certainly help.

I would also advise to spread the instances over the various regions so that we do not compete with each other for the low prices.
Also if we rely only in spot instances there may be none available if someone (for example an attacker) were to instantiate 1000s of instances for the full price.

There's a whole host of different instances that could be used. Don't look only at g2.2xlarge and c3.8xlarge. If we could spread it also to other instances it could prevent some of the problems above (the AMI would work fine with any of them although with a lower hashrate. And it would be good also for people who can't afford the higher end ones)

And don't forget the free tier (about 8h/s but free).
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:03:54 PM

There's a whole host of different instances that could be used. Don't look only at g2.2xlarge and c3.8xlarge. If we could spread it also to other instances it could prevent some of the problems above (the AMI would work fine with any of them although with a lower hashrate. And it would be good also for people who can't afford the higher end ones)

If you set it up for GPU mining you will probably have some some problems launching it on a non-GPU instance.

But probably two different AMIs would cover all the types.
papa_lazzarou

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:17:44 PM

If you set it up for GPU mining you will probably have some some problems launching it on a non-GPU instance.

But probably two different AMIs would cover all the types.

I have tried it with the same AMI. It won't launch the GPU miner but all else works fine.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 12:18:32 PM

This is a detailed guide to setup cloud miners (cpu+gpu) on Amazon EC2. I put together this guide for user oda.krell, who was kind enough to give me a very nice tip for it, so thanks should also go to oda.krell.

You could also configure it for the script to start automatically at system startup. This way you would only have to launch the instance or instances and you'd be mining.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12973777/how-to-run-a-shell-script-at-startup

And maybe create an AMI with this with the DEV fund address and anyone who would want to just had to launch the instances without having access them to configure stuff. Thus lowering the barrier to entry.

The instructions would be cut in half to get an account and launch your instances.

I'll only be able to do this this evening (and don't even know if people would trust my AMI), so if some trusted member of the community could set it up earlier it would certainly help.

I would also advise to spread the instances over the various regions so that we do not compete with each other for the low prices.
Also if we rely only in spot instances there may be none available if someone (for example an attacker) were to instantiate 1000s of instances for the full price.

And don't forget the free tier (about 8h/s but free).

There are instructions for setting it up to launch automatically using rc.local toward the end of the guide. I agree it would be cool to have XRMdev images/AMIs that you just launch and they autostart mining for dev donation address. If I get a chance this week I will set that up.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 01:14:02 PM

Thanks for the answers Smiley

My point isn't so much efficiency, it's just that I do note my mac being less responsive, so if it doesn't really do much and it's a bit of a nuisance, I'd rather only do the mining via ec2 alone.

Another question: since I don't control the dev's address, and I have no way of seeing what is inside, is there any way to make sure I do actually transfer mining income into their control, i.e. I didn't fuck something up in the setup?

Well it won't take a bad address, so if you type it in wrong, you would get an error. And it won't mine without an address.

So if you type show_hr and it shows a hash rate, then you're good (you can use hide_hr to get rid of the scrolling numbers)

Soon we want to have a tool to look up transactions to View Keys, which we have published for the donation address, but unfortunately that tool still doesn't exist.

But if your node is successfully mining and you find a block it will be sent. You can also look for "block found" in the bitmonerod.log file, but of course one node doesn't find a block that often.

Thanks for your effort on this!
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:16:44 PM

How do we set up on different regions? I only see the XMRminer AMIs in USA/Oregon.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
jwinterm
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:46:11 PM

How do we set up on different regions? I only see the XMRminer AMIs in USA/Oregon.

You probably want to make your own image, anyway, so I guess you would need to start an instance in Oregon, save it as your own, and then you can launch from any region. I'm not entirely sure tbh, as I've only ever used Oregon region.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:49:00 PM

You probably want to make your own image, anyway, so I guess you would need to start an instance in Oregon, save it as your own, and then you can launch from any region. I'm not entirely sure tbh, as I've only ever used Oregon region.

You have to copy the image to another region, then you can launch it there.
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:54:29 PM

Ok, thanks. I just set up an image at the pool you referenced and have a single instance running. I'll launch a bunch of instances later on (I guess I'll basically be using that pool as my own solo-mining instance....that pool is tiny. )

Any suggestions on viewing mining performance when I ssh back in to an instance? Log files to look at, etc?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
Melbustus
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:55:24 PM

Another Q: How do I configure one or more fallback pools?

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 04:59:31 PM

Any suggestions on viewing mining performance when I ssh back in to an instance? Log files to look at, etc?

sudo screen -r

will give you a list of process numbers. One is the cpu miner, one is the gpu.

Connect to one of these with:

sudo screen -r [put-process-number-here]

When you are done looking or interacting, press "control-a d" and it will disconnect you but leave the miner running in the background.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 06:46:04 PM

Which XMR pools are best protected against DDOS?  I'd like to set backups with diversity of shielding in mind (IE Cloudflare-->KoDDOS-->Amazon).

What steps can pools take to prepare for Zero Hour?  Should they whitelist existing connection IPs and not accept new ones?  Or would that backfire by preventing those trying to help from contributing hashrate at critical moments? 

Moneropool.com used to have a semi-private backup address; I'd like to see that come back.

Could the core devs set up a few new known-friendly pools, and only allow pre-approved stratum proxies to connect?

Mining solo is not economically feasible for many of us.  How best can we preserve economic viability in the face of potential pool outages/compromises?

Many of us are excited to participate in helping diffuse the hell out of whatever BCX does, but can't pay the bills given solo or tiny pool variance.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
papa_lazzarou

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:29:25 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 10:41:53 AM by papa_lazzarou

Hi,

For those people who like to kill two birds with one stone (looking at you David  Wink ) I have created an AMI that launches GPU and CPU miner automatically, on cryptonotepool.org.uk for the Dev Fund Address.

The name is XMRminerToDevFund which gives about 550 h/s total.

oregon - ami-15185b25
tokyo - ami-c5c3edc4
singapore - ami-0cb0945e
sydney - ami-b781e28d
ireland - ami-2abe185d
N. Virginia - ami-a477dccc
N. California - ami-250f0760

You basicaly follow jwinterm instructions bellow and stop at number four.

Its also possible to select other types of instances but performance may take a hit because its configured to 8 cores.

(Any trusted member wants to vouch for this?)

I'll be copying the AMI to various locations and posting here the ami reference as soon I have the time.

OK,
So here goes (assuming you have your ec2 account all set up and linked to credit card, which you can do here: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ ):
1) Click on EC2, and then click on Spot Requests under Instances on left sidebar.
2) Click Request Spot Instances blue button near top, and then click Community AMIs and search for XMRminer. Select XMRminer2.
3) For Instance Type, select GPU instances g2.2xlarge, click next and set your maximum price (kind of expensive now, need to do like $0.09 per hour, used to be more like $0.06).
4) Click Review and Launch and then click Launch.

(.....)

If you would like to send me some coins for tip, here is btc:
Code:
1Gy2BQKMVjvWdRnG3Ktwm2cXdEyL8ZdqvE
and xmr addresses:
Code:
49jkaP1xDZrEYaWxtoToPzitbQh6Z7Vv8c3MwtP49wsZhJUR5VojrxcKgb76zT8XRU5AAWHVptx4RgxgLb5fX7iM2vBSKXA

Let me know if you have any questions or anything. And if you want to repost anywhere, I don't mind. Good luck Smiley
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 09:31:19 PM

Have you guys heard yet.... This coin is dead! less then 24 hours away and xmr coins will be worth as much as Coinyecoin.

Good luck guys.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 »
  Print  

Jump to: