Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:42:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Big scam in NXT hundreds of BTC stolen with a one post  (Read 16740 times)
funnynews (OP)

Activity: 278
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 01:21:00 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2014, 10:52:51 AM by funnynews

See in:
https://nxtforum.org/news-and-announcements/incredible-opportunity!/

CoinTropololis_JustaBit Banned!

"As a result of some of my contacts I have come across an incredible opportunity for the community.

This opportunity will provide more exposure than any alt today, and will rival Bitcoin itself.

The problem is I need BTC to make it happen. I have plenty that I could convert to BTC, but taking this much to an exchange(s) would for sure be a huge dump.

I need 400 BTC and I was hoping that I community members would trade me directly for NXT (off exchange). My reputation alone should be enough to get this done.

For the first 400 BTC only (it is all I need, anything over will be returned), I will give a NXT / BTC 0.000095 exchange rate. So for each 1 BTC you get 10,526 NXT. This is first come first serve, the only request is you don't go dump it at an exchange the second you get it (the karma gods are watching!!!).

I feel I can do this deal because I know this is going to boost the value of NXT exponentially.

To participate send BTC to REMOVED FOR NOW and then PM me (all payouts will happen within a few hours of me confirming the deposit came from you). Only the first 400 BTC will be eligible, any after that I will return to the originating address!

Scammers don't bother sending me a PM trying to get me to send NXT first, with my reputation this deal is BTC first.

Thanks to all!"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:01:37 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2014, 02:43:49 AM by TaunSew

John (Peter Manglaviti) was essentially the public leader of NxT, he was the one who represented NxT's booth at several public conferences / expos and seminars and he was the man the public dealt with.  For all intensive purposes, while he may not had been a developer, he was essentially the public face of NxT.  He was the man the public saw at anything NxT and he was the one persuading people to buy it.

You assume it's just the BTC stolen.  Probably ran off with all the NxT he collected as well.  You assume "John" (Peter Manglaviti) is his real identity.  Linkedin profiles are easily just as faked as Facebook profiles.  The best fake linkedin profiles are those which combine truth with outright lies.

John wouldn't be the first person who thinks he can scam investors and get away with it.  After all, has the Visacoin guy gone to jail yet?  Has anyone actually gone to jail?  Even just one person?

The statue of limitations for these sort of crimes is 7 years or less.  The time to investigate, acquire the evidence, book a court room hearing, et cetera, can take years, that's even IF the police can be bother to actually to issue a warrant.  They generally don't go after 'small fish' like John.  

The only people who have been arrested in crypto currencies has been people like Charlie Shrem and mainly due to drugs / DEA.  I've yet to hear of a crypto scammer who has gone to jail, even with their personal details wide out in the open.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 977
Merit: 1077

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:06:24 AM

The statue of limitations for these sort of crimes

That so reminds me of a Seinfeld episode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq8gfaFqFpI
bluemeanie1

Activity: 280
Merit: 257

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 02:58:51 AM

John (Peter Mranglaviti) was essentially the public leader of NxT, he was the one who represented NxT's booth at several public conferences / expos and seminars and he was the man the public dealt with.  For all intensive purposes, while he may not had been a developer, he was essentially the public face of NxT.  He was the man the public saw at anything NxT and he was the one persuading people to buy it.

this requires clarification.

John 'Justabit' Peter Manglaviti is NOT the public leader of NXT.  He arrived fairly recently and managed to get the community to fund a trip to london where he 'represented' NXT at a conference called PayExpo.  Fact is he openly admits he is neutral to all projects and that he is some kind of promotional mercenary for cryptocoins(his company is called Cointropolis).  Most of the people I knew from the project hardly even knew him or what he was up to.  ASMOF, about a week ago I publicly repudiated him and officially distanced myself(there is a record of this on the NXT forums).  I made it 100% clear that I have nothing to do with this person and I did it at the height of the recent price inflation at my own personal cost.

Some stories had emerged on the forums regarding his involvement with Feathercoin and Peercoin that suggested he was responsible for pumping up the price and then feigned ignorance when the price later collapsed. I personally greatly disliked his style of working(I wasnt the only one) and I demanded that some of the claims made against him be explored properly.

We have not yet determined whether this particular incident was a hacker or not.

-bm

Just who IS bluemeanie?    On NXTautoDAC and a Million Stolen NXT

feel like your voice isn't being heard? PM me.   |   stole 1M NXT?
mrvegad

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 02:58:58 AM

Has it been proven that it was really John? A quick read of the posted thread sounds like he might have been hacked.
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:15:13 AM

there are also some significant questions regarding his claims to a deal struck with GoCoin...

portice
Legendary

Activity: 999
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:16:12 AM

Has it been proven that it was really John? A quick read of the posted thread sounds like he might have been hacked.

thats what i gather from it also. but the truth will be hard found in a situation like this.

Well I mean obviously he was hacked, noone would ever pull off the "slowroll" to build rep for a decent sized heist, #sarcasmoff
TaunSew

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:22:53 AM

I don't dismiss hack defenses but the hack defense never looks credible when it is applied to someone lacking in credibility.  If we take BM's word, then John was never a credible person to begin with.   Anyone can hack themselves with TOR and claim someone else did it.  

It vaguely echos Fuserleer from eMunie who recently claimed to had been hacked, but this was a guy who was accused back in February of lying on his linkedin, posting on whitehat-blackhat forums, had a court order against him from paypal and was accused of stealing thousands on other internet websites.

I'm less familiar with this John, as he came into NxT long after I did, but I have a haunch that there was no hack.

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:23:16 AM

there are also some significant questions regarding his claims to a deal struck with GoCoin...

could you elaborate? i havnt read anything about this?

he kept announcing over and over again that 'there was going to be a big announcement', and finally announced that GoCoin would be supporting NXT.  As it stands, some community members had been raising some interesting questions as to whether this claim was actually true(or to what extent it was true).  Note also that this hype corresponded to a significant price increase in NXT.

for instance if you search on NXT and GoCoin on Twitter, you don't find any actual announcements from GoCoin https://twitter.com/search?q=GoCoin%20NXT&src=typd , only announcements from NXT people.  Wouldn't GoCoin announce NXT support?

I think the language on the forums do suggest this was a hacker, however I also have to admit these sorts of incidents seem to follow John around.

-bm

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:29:36 AM

i hope anyone that invests in IPO's learns a lesson..

FUD first & ask questions later™
bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:32:32 AM

it wasnt an ipo.. it was/is a very long story

no, he did recently do some fund raising using the NXT asset exchange.

-bm

TaunSew

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:33:16 AM

What was it then?  Until this story is cleared up, we can assume all the NxT that went into the Cointropolis Asset is gone.  As well as any private investors into Cointropolis.

bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:34:32 AM

could you elaborate? i havnt read anything about this?

he kept announcing over and over again that 'there was going to be a big announcement', and finally announced that GoCoin would be supporting NXT.  As it stands, some community members had been raising some interesting questions as to whether this claim was actually true(or to what extent it was true).  Note also that this hype corresponded to a significant price increase in NXT.

for instance if you search on NXT and GoCoin on Twitter, you don't find any actual announcements from GoCoin https://twitter.com/search?q=GoCoin%20NXT&src=typd , only announcements from NXT people.  Wouldn't GoCoin announce NXT support?

I think the language on the forums do suggest this was a hacker, however I also have to admit these sorts of incidents seem to follow John around.

-bm

was the guy from gocoin not on stage at the expo and mention about adding nxt?

I believe so, but again it seems anything this guy does is surrounded by a million questions.  Why would rickyjames continually raise this?  is he obsessed?

I did check up with some of the claims regarding Feathercoin and the stuff he was doing there was EXACTLY the same things he was doing on the NXT forums.

-bm

TaunSew

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:35:44 AM

-bm

Over 1+ million NxT - which a guesstimate is somewhere a bit under $80K or $90K.  Then the 200 BTC on top he just stole.

As I said no one has gone to jail yet for scamming in crypto.  Charlie Shrem is currently in court (unless it already ended) but that was due to being arrested by the DEA / drug enforcement agency.

Mark Karpeles got off with tens of millions.  There are lesser scammers, even going years back, who stole six figures and nothing happened to them - despite all the evidence and incriminating public information

bluemeanie1

bluemeanie

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2014, 03:38:14 AM

-bm

Over 1+ million NxT - which a guesstimate is somewhere a bit under $80K or $90K.  Then the 200 BTC on top he just stole.

As I said no one has gone to jail yet for scamming in crypto.  Charlie Shrem is currently in court (unless it already ended) but that was due to being arrested by the DEA / drug enforcement agency.

Mark Karpeles got off with tens of millions.  There are lesser scammers, even going years back, who stole six figures and nothing happened to them - despite all the evidence and incriminating public information

yes if he were to just disappear right now, he would probably have at least 200k usd in btc in his pocket.  He was also recently asking for donations on the forums.

-bm

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 03:55:42 AM

it was called a "unicorn blessing" ? any other terms you wanna make up for the word scam ?

use your brains or don't.. but don't you god damn dare come in the forum and start crying and whining like a little whiny suckholes when you get ripped off
and THAT IS WHAT HAPPENS DAILY ..non fucking stop !
Stupid fucking morons buy into IPO clone coin ponzi schemes then the get ripped off and come in here creating topics in CAPS begging for sympathy.
And sorry but i don't need your little warning topics that so & so and his coin is a scammer.. no shit dumb ass why do think i avoided in from the start ?

wanna gamble with ponzi scheme clone coin ipo scams then stfu when you get burned idiots.. i don't wanna see you crying like a baby in here later Wink
like you guys ALWAYS do  Roll Eyes

edit:
and yeah it's copied and pasted wonder why ?

FUD first & ask questions later™
cryptopaths

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Crypto Knight

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 04:00:06 AM

I heard one lee guy invested 50 btc into this...... ffs
TaunSew

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 04:03:11 AM

I heard one lee guy invested 50 btc into this...... ffs

No oversight on the asset exchange and then investor euphoria - you end up with these stories.  That lee guy gave John 50 BTC but we don't know how much Lee invested into the cointropolis asset or if he had gave prior money to John.

This is all bigger than you all think.  John likely got off with $250K+.

krak3n

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 04:08:16 AM

Wow it seems like trust rules above common sense.

I've never understood why people don't just throw 0.05btc wait for coins back and then slowly build up.  One guy threw 20btc at the guy without making any checks.

The scam boxes are all ticked:
He's posting behind a tor
he promises massive riches but no safety net
he didn't use his normal writing style
he's un-contactable except through pm
he's not using his normal bitcoin account... the list goes on.

The great part is they only had to compromise his email account, from that they had his forum details and his twitter account (by asking for a password reset). 
hicaribou

Activity: 815
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 16, 2014, 04:12:13 AM

Just feel that NXT is very dirty.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: