Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:38:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 160 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin is officially dead  (Read 290683 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
mymenace
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1061

Smile

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:34:45 PM

Refresh my memory... How many times now has Litecoin been "officially dead"?

With no developers, no new content added, a dying community, and getting destroyed by ASIC's. Litecoin's 9 lives have run up.

what does not kill you makes you stronger

Grin
darkota (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 06:36:29 PM

With no developers, no new content added, a dying community, and getting destroyed by ASIC's. Litecoin's 9 lives have run up.

I wonder though, does LTC really need any more features? The presence of ASICs is going to make it quite interesting. Will the network start to centralize? Will Wall St. Want a #2? Remember, even with BTC T 600 bucks app., we are VERY early adopters.

Basically, I'm saying we don't know. I still have 1/3 of my position in it as when we broke .02 I saved what profits I had and rolled 1/2 that into XMR. The alts are nice in this way as you can (still) move things around with no tax implications. Another reason LTC is nice to have.

I get the feeling that when we look back on this time, we are just going to laugh at some of what we thought.
We are still in the womb.

Finally, someone presents a decent view of opinion.

I do agree, sort of, that LTC doesnt need any new features. But it does need adoptance, of which it's lacking greatly atm. Just one company, one needs to adopt LTC and it's price would go back to it's former glory.
Its About Sharing
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

Antifragile

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 07:09:08 PM

I wonder though, does LTC really need any more features? The presence of ASICs is going to make it quite interesting. Will the network start to centralize? Will Wall St. Want a #2? Remember, even with BTC T 600 bucks app., we are VERY early adopters.

Basically, I'm saying we don't know. I still have 1/3 of my position in it as when we broke .02 I saved what profits I had and rolled 1/2 that into XMR. The alts are nice in this way as you can (still) move things around with no tax implications. Another reason LTC is nice to have.

I get the feeling that when we look back on this time, we are just going to laugh at some of what we thought.
We are still in the womb.

Finally, someone presents a decent view of opinion.

I do agree, sort of, that LTC doesnt need any new features. But it does need adoptance, of which it's lacking greatly atm. Just one company, one needs to adopt LTC and it's price would go back to it's former glory.

True, LTC seems to be falling out of favor. But BIG money, which took btc to where it  now is, might have other ideas. I do think it is smaller players or early adopters getting into the anonymous cryptos EARLY. I don't think institutions will touch those. Who knows, might just be NSA as well. ;-)

Outside big money carrying LTC, I agree that LTC needs more adoption. If it does however start to really tank, that is when we probably see new features. Adapt or die.

BTC = Black Swan.
BTC = Antifragile - "Some things benefit from shocks; they thrive and grow when exposed to volatility, randomness, disorder, and stressors and love adventure, risk, and uncertainty. Robust is not the opposite of fragile.
percocet

Activity: 222
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 08:09:02 PM

I agree, Litecoin is pretty much dead.

The future will be BTC and second gen coins such as NXT, NEM, Etherium, etc.
rikkejohn

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 21, 2014, 10:52:58 PM

An assertion based thread on the future of an altcoin.

Mental stimulation at its best.

1PkwpyTLo5TfagzCPgjdvQFNVzuEyHViGt
darkota (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 01:06:04 AM

+1
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 09:08:43 AM

Yeah LTC is not dead for lack of new innovation.  The innovation is the simple fact that it is not inflatable fiat.

What LTC needs to catch up to BTC is a good company to accept it as a form of payment.  If coinbase adds LTC to their exchange then I could see that as a possibility.
darkota (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 12:35:27 PM

True I also.agree
oldmarsh

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 02:05:38 PM

darkota (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:08:25 PM

That hashrate, which if you look at the charts...is very low..
 is from ASIC's, which have the potential to easily fork litecoin.and do a.double spend attack....
Pansyfaust

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:18:34 PM

That hashrate, which if you look at the charts...is very low..
 is from ASIC's, which have the potential to easily fork litecoin.and do a.double spend attack....

Kind of like what nearly happened with GHash :p?
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:42:11 PM

That looks more or less linear. Bitcoin's hashrate chart has been exponential over the same period. LTC is bleeding mindshare in both directions (up to bitcoin, and down to some of the new alts that are more interesting).

---

Litecoin was an interesting experiment in that it was the first fair-launch/serious alt-coin project. At a time when there weren't hundreds of such things, it garnered attention. People also misunderstood the eventual mining dynamics ("Litecoin ASICs will never happen!!") and found false value because of it.

People are now realizing two things:
1) That Litecoin actually does NOT offer any meaningful technical improvements over bitcoin. This is being highlighted by the current crop of new anon coins.
2) That *any* proof-of-work coin which gains non-trivial market-share will eventually consolidate toward industrial-scale mining dynamics. The lowest-margin producer of hashpower wins and achieves massive scale. Initially that comes through hardware; eventually it comes through power-cost advantage. The mining alg does not matter. Litecoiners (and the alt crowd in general) could never get that their through their heads, but more are realizing...finally.

Obviously it's hyperbolic to claim that litecoin is dead, but I'll predict that it bleeds market-share relative to bitcoin and the rest of the alt-space over the next few years.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
darkota (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 07:55:29 PM

That looks more or less linear. Bitcoin's hashrate chart has been exponential over the same period. LTC is bleeding mindshare in both directions (up to bitcoin, and down to some of the new alts that are more interesting).

---

Litecoin was an interesting experiment in that it was the first fair-launch/serious alt-coin project. At a time when there weren't hundreds of such things, it garnered attention. People also misunderstood the eventual mining dynamics ("Litecoin ASICs will never happen!!") and found false value because of it.

People are now realizing two things:
1) That Litecoin actually does NOT offer any meaningful technical improvements over bitcoin. This is being highlighted by the current crop of new anon coins.
2) That *any* proof-of-work coin which gains non-trivial market-share will eventually consolidate toward industrial-scale mining dynamics. The lowest-margin producer of hashpower wins and achieves massive scale. Initially that comes through hardware; eventually it comes through power-cost advantage. The mining alg does not matter. Litecoiners (and the alt crowd in general) could never get that their through their heads, but more are realizing...finally.

Obviously it's hyperbolic to claim that litecoin is dead, but I'll predict that it bleeds market-share relative to bitcoin and the rest of the alt-space over the next few years.

Very valid point presented, I agree.
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
June 22, 2014, 08:08:23 PM

LTC biggest problem are the two mostly inactive devs with no ideas/time to improve the coin and no skills or intrest to form a vivid, healthy community.
They offer no vision for the coin.

And LTCs arrogant and lazy community doesnt help the project either. Most LTCers really think its god-given that LTC is the #2 coin now and will stay forever. And because this is so sure, they don't develope an ecosystem around the coin or push usage, they just wait. They are so out of touch with reality and closed-minded, that they blindly hate on all others coins no matter what. Often they hate on coins they know nothing, about with flawed arguments or invalid claims. (Embarrassing!)

Because their coin is now substandard and antiquated vs. all new projects, they over and over repeat their mantras:
"silver to bitcoins gold", "always number #2", "listed on the most exchangers", "established network", "only altcoin secured by asic" and spread their usual FUD.

LTCers are sooo stupid, they shows volume graphs around. And try to prove with them that LTC is not dead, and huge/active coin. Bullshit, 99% of the LTC trading volume are just back and forth altcoin/shitcoin-trades at the many exchanges. No one is using LTC for E-Commerce.

No one is denying that LTC can stay some years as #1 shitcoin trading token/base currency. They dont understand that people say: "LTC is dead" because LTCs orginal ideas/goals/concept are (pretty obvious) dead today/unreachable. LTC won't become an major mainstream E-Commerce crypto, being the MasterCard to Bitcoins VISA or Pepsi to Coke. Doesnt happen, the dream Coblee and the early adopters/miners sold to the bagholders is over. In this way LTC *IS* dead, no matter if it stays as niche crypto around some years.

LTCers have no right anyway to complain now about others declairing their project dead. They did it 100.000.000 themselves, e.g. vs DOGE or VERT. They now eat their own medicine.
darkota (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2014, 11:42:46 AM

LTC biggest problem are the two mostly inactive devs with no ideas/time to improve the coin and no skills or intrest to form a vivid, healthy community.

And LTCs arrogant and lazy community doesnt help the project either. Most LTCers really think its god-given that LTC is the #2 coin now and will stay forever. And because this is so sure, they don't develope an ecosystem around the coin or push usage, they just wait. They are so out of touch with reality and closed-minded, that they blindly hate on all others coins no matter what. Often they hate on coins they know nothing about with flawed arguments or invalid claims.

Because their coin is now substandard and antiquated vs. all new projects, they over and over repeat their mantras:
"silver to bitcoins gold", "always number #2", "listed on the most exchangers", "established network", "only altcoin secured by asic" and spread their usual FUD.

LTCers are sooo stupid, they shows volume graphs around. And try to prove with them that LTC is not dead, and huge/active coin. Bullshit, 99% of the LTC trading volume are just back and forth altcoin/shitcoin-trades at the many exchanges. No one is using LTC for E-Commerce.

No one is denying that LTC can stay some years as #1 shitcoin trading token/base currency. They dont understand that people say: "LTC is dead" because LTCs orginal ideas/goals/concept is (most likely) dead. LTC won't become an major mainstream E-Commerce crypto, being the MasterCard to Bitcoins VISA or Pepsi to Coke. Doesnt happen, the dream Coblee and the early adopters/miners sold to the bagholders is over. In this way LTC *IS* dead, no matter if it stays and niche crypto around some years.

LTCers have no right anyway to complain now about others declairing their project dead. They did it 100.000.000 themselves, e.g. vs DOGE or VERT. They now eat their own medicine.

Very true, I am also very disappoonted in the absense of development activity with Litecoin.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
June 23, 2014, 02:09:19 PM

5 minute blocktime is not even that good anymore, there are coins much faster then litecoin

I know, some coins have 5 second blocktimes.
That's ridiculous and very bad actually.
+1
The amount of orphan blocks must be horrible.
However, block confimations of 1 minutes work quite well. Litecoin seems slow when compared to these coins, so one might say it loses the only thing that was innovative about it.
Satoshi thought this carefully through. Blocktimes shouldn't be as long as 10 minutes though, but surely not as low as 5 seconds either.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
darkota (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 01:25:43 AM

5 minute blocktime is not even that good anymore, there are coins much faster then litecoin

+1
However, block confimations of 1 minutes work quite well. Litecoin seems slow when compared to these coins, so one might say it loses the only thing that was innovative about it.
Satoshi thought this carefully through. Blocktimes shouldn't be as long as 10 minutes though, but surely not as low as 5 seconds either.

With PoS coins, blocktimes don't matter nearly as much. 5 seconds is around the time it takes for a NXT confirmation. Litecoin is just old, dusty, and outdated. The only reason it's even at $9, is because of the old money invested in it. When those people decide to take a profit, or loss, and sell, Litecoin will drop like a stone to $1 and lower.
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 01:34:16 AM

+1

With PoS coins, blocktimes don't matter nearly as much. 5 seconds is around the time it takes for a NXT confirmation. Litecoin is just old, dusty, and outdated. The only reason it's even at $9, is because of the old money invested in it. When those people decide to take a profit, or loss, and sell, Litecoin will drop like a stone to $1 and lower.

Do you really have to troll the exact some thing in every litecoin thread? Take profits? You do know for alot of core crypto enthusiasts its not about "profits"?

nxt I researched, I know its not secure so I avoid (do you need me to break that part down for you, as I am avoiding using some pretty scary facts so nxt fanbois don't get all upset).
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 04:50:53 AM

And LTCs arrogant and lazy community doesnt help the project either. Most LTCers really think its god-given that LTC is the #2 coin now and will stay forever. And because this is so sure, they don't develope an ecosystem around the coin or push usage, they just wait. They are so out of touch with reality and closed-minded, that they blindly hate on all others coins no matter what. Often they hate on coins they know nothing, about with flawed arguments or invalid claims. (Embarrassing!)

No one is denying that LTC can stay some years as #1 shitcoin trading token/base currency. They dont understand that people say: "LTC is dead" because LTCs orginal ideas/goals/concept are (pretty obvious) dead today/unreachable. LTC won't become an major mainstream E-Commerce crypto, being the MasterCard to Bitcoins VISA or Pepsi to Coke. Doesnt happen, the dream Coblee and the early adopters/miners sold to the bagholders is over. In this way LTC *IS* dead, no matter if it stays as niche crypto around some years.

Nice personal attacks. Real mature.  Roll Eyes

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

devphp

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2014, 04:57:59 AM

nxt I researched, I know its not secure so I avoid

If NXT was not secure, it would have been broken a long time ago.
How long should it run before you admit it's secure? 1 year is enough? 2 years? Just name a timeframe. If you don't think hackers are trying to break it all the time over the past 6 months, you're very naive. You need to do more research, obviously you just read someone's biased opinion and believed it, that was all your research about NXT.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 160 »
  Print  

Jump to: