Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:18:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This Bitfinex Credit Bubble cannot end well  (Read 62038 times)
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 02:36:33 PM

Can you take a swap out at .1% (say) and then offer that same USD for .2%?  That would double the "total swaps" number without actually doubling the leveraged BTC. 

Its NOT possible.

NOT possible for anyone, or not possible for normal Joes but very possible for the exchange and/or friends of the exchange?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 02:58:53 PM

Guys

Since when so called "moderators" are starting FUD threads?

Cui prodest?

Ask yourself this simple question and if your IQ is not lower than your shoe size you'll come up with the right conclusion.

Have a good day and a great weekend

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

I have to disagree about this being FUD here.  The amount of longs, shorts, and the going rate are important metrics.  And I don't necessarily even think its bearish to have this extremely high level of lending... but it may cause local flash crash on your exchange as a single person attempts to harvest this leverage.  Its making me think about putting in a lowball bid, except bullish. 

On the lender side, clearly if you want to avoid BTC volatility but trust BitFinex as an exchange then offering USD at these loan rates is an awesome investment.  Its interesting to imagine who fits this lender profile:  For example various "money market" funds could probably loan via BitFinex but not buy BTC (without breaking its published investment profile).

PS: None of this reflects on the BitFinex exchange.  You are not responsible for responsible investing.

N12 (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:02:42 PM

Perhaps you are looking for something more sinister here, but from that graph it seems to me that the likeliest explanation of the ballooning swaps on Finex is simply that they have gained a lot of users since December. I don't know for how long they have existed but I didn't actually try trading there until last winter, as part of me moving away from MtGox, and I suspect that may be true for a lot of other users as well. I think you would find that everything from Kraken to Huobi gained a lot of users during that time period.

I disagree that USD swaps balloons more than BTC swaps in general in your graph. If you cut out June the trend is not nearly as pronounced. In fact, both swap pairs follow an upwards trajectory with two major exceptions: people were in general very bearish in February (omg! look at those slopes!), and people are very bullish in June. You can also see the formation of a bullish trend in January which later falls apart spectacularly, and I think we all know why that was.
The BTC swaps are only one piece of evidence for what I believe to be the fact that Bitfinex hasn't grown by a factor of 9 since December. Here's something much better: http://data.bitcoinity.org/markets/volume/6m/USD?c=e&t=a&volume_unit=btc I would say it grew by a factor of 2-3, a moving average would visualize this better.

Guys

Cui prodest?

Ask yourself this simple question and if your IQ is not lower than your shoe size you'll come up with the right conclusion.

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

I was excited when I saw you had come to post, yet you only leave an ad hominem attack without contributing to the topic, which is disappointing. Tell me, had it been the opposite ie BTC shorts piling on for months to alltime highs and me pointing it out, would you have said the same? I'm not intimately familiar with Bitfinex, so it's possible that some nuances are eluding me.
Torque
Legendary

Activity: 3556
Merit: 5041

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:05:45 PM

Guys

Cui prodest?

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

Dude, I know you absolutely love your exchange and have every right to defend it.  But can you please lay off with the childish insults?  Do you see other prominent exchange operators worldwide talking to the public like this?

You are quickly proving yourself to be the MOST UNPROFESSIONAL Bitcoin exchange operator there is, bar none.  If you don't think that your business will suffer in the long run for acting like that, you're delusional.
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:08:54 PM

You are quickly proving yourself to be the MOST UNPROFESSIONAL Bitcoin exchange operator there is, bar none.

Now that MPOE-PR has been banned this could even be true. Wink

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:22:27 PM

I was excited when I saw you had come to post, yet you only leave an ad hominem attack without contributing to the topic, which is disappointing. Tell me, had it been the opposite ie BTC shorts piling on for months to alltime highs and me pointing it out, would you have said the same? I'm not intimately familiar with Bitfinex, so it's possible that some nuances are eluding me.

Yeah. It would nice to have some stat (which we could believe in) which stated unequivocally how much of those swaps are currently employed in leveraged long positions. If it is anything near to ALL OF THEM then that would indeed be a ticking timebomb, so much so that I don't believe that this can be the case. One simply doesn't sit in a leveraged long position, paying those sort of interest rates whilst the market retraces and/or consolidates, which is what it has been doing for around a month now.

If it is indeed the case that we have a whole lot of leveraged longs sitting around waiting on their break-even point to come back and perhaps a little bit of profit, then that is a shit ton of selling pressure just waiting to be released.

If it is the case that none of the information coming out of Bitfinex can be fully trusted and behind those swap rate stats, lie layer upon layer of Bitfinex duplicitiy, then that wouldn't surprise me at all and would perhaps paint less of a foreboding picture for the Bitcoin market......unless of course one trades or has money on Bitfinex.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
uhoh

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Circle gets the Square

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:45:52 PM

Guys

Cui prodest?

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

You are quickly proving yourself to be the MOST UNPROFESSIONAL Bitcoin exchange operator there is, bar none.

A Million times, THIS.

Are you being coached in business ethic by Inaba or something?
urwhatuknow

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

CAT.EX Exchange

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 03:54:44 PM

Perhaps you are looking for something more sinister here, but from that graph it seems to me that the likeliest explanation of the ballooning swaps on Finex is simply that they have gained a lot of users since December. I don't know for how long they have existed but I didn't actually try trading there until last winter, as part of me moving away from MtGox, and I suspect that may be true for a lot of other users as well. I think you would find that everything from Kraken to Huobi gained a lot of users during that time period.

I disagree that USD swaps balloons more than BTC swaps in general in your graph. If you cut out June the trend is not nearly as pronounced. In fact, both swap pairs follow an upwards trajectory with two major exceptions: people were in general very bearish in February (omg! look at those slopes!), and people are very bullish in June. You can also see the formation of a bullish trend in January which later falls apart spectacularly, and I think we all know why that was.
The BTC swaps are only one piece of evidence for what I believe to be the fact that Bitfinex hasn't grown by a factor of 9 since December. Here's something much better: http://data.bitcoinity.org/markets/volume/6m/USD?c=e&t=a&volume_unit=btc I would say it grew by a factor of 2-3, a moving average would visualize this better.

Guys

Cui prodest?

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team

It's not an ad hominem attack, it's just a simple observation.
I see from your profile that you are the moderator of this section and this means you have to be moderate.
If you were a provocateur ( there are so many on bitcointalk) I wouldn't even have blinked.

Bitfinex is currently the no.1 platform for volume on the BTC/USD pair, taken away Chinese platforms that run on a 0% commission basis and therefore can't be trusted for their volume.

I believe our platform is  financially, technologically and managerially superior and deserve to be there.
We came to this position with almost zero media exposure, we decline every interview request, conference intervention or any other type of advertisement.
It's pure word of mouth and customer service.

To take a simple parameter ( swap amount to BTC price ratio)  and to extrapolate a theory to explain we are at risk was in my opinion not very "moderate" by you.

Bitfinex has been growing tremendously in the last months and the amount of swaps is only one of the various parameters that should be taken into consideration.
As usual, time will tell who is right and who is wrong.

I believe BTC is getting into a more mature phase and if our customers believe that BTC is on the verge of another big leap ahead there is not much we can do about it.

By the way, if you were more familiar with our platform ( by your own admission you are not) you would know that we recently decreased max leverage from 5 to 2.5 and we believe this is reducing risk in a considerable way.

I might not be the best PR guy in town ( this is a fact ), but I will be more than glad to reply to any specific question you might come up with.

Thanks a lot and have a great weekend.

Giancarlo
Bitfinex Team      

|(
▄▄██████████▄▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▀ ▀██████▄
██████ ███ ▀▀▀ ███ ███████
██████▀▄███████████▄▀███████
███████ █████████████ ████████
███████ █████████████ ████████
████████▄▀█████████▀▄█████████
██████████▄ █████ ▄█▀▄▄▄▀█████
██████████ ████▌▐█ █▀▄█ ████
████████▌▐█████ █▌▐█▄▄████
▀█████▀ ██████▄ ▀ █████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀▀██████████▀▀
)(.
)
▌   ANNOUNCE THREAD   ▌▐   BOUNTY   ▐
TWITTER  |  FACEBOOK  |  TELEGRAM  |  DISCORD
(((((((   MOBILE APP [ ANDROID / IOS ]   )))))))
)
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 04:14:08 PM

Impression of first response by Giancarlo in here: absolutely terrible.

Impression of second response by him: quite good.

There's still hope :D

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
BitBits

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2014, 10:54:21 PM

I can't believe this thread even exists, Giancarlo shouldn't have even bothered commenting the obvious!
The logic in the original post is SO totally wrong and the OP really needs to do the homework on basic trading tools (for ANY commodity trading platform!!!) before trying to "make waves" with absolutely no basis to the accusations.

Fist of all, the total borrowed (regardless of what it was in the past) is a reflection of current traded volume on Bitfinex and this number grew simply because more traders joined the platform recently. This is just what it is - Bitfinex recently became the most popular exchange for BTC/USD pair.

Secondly, ALL of the borrowed by traders funds you see are fully backed primarily by THEIR OWN funds. There is simply no other technical way to borrow, but to have sufficient amount in trader's own account and the leverage at Bitfinex is a measly 2.5:1 (this is "nothing" in comparison to a 400:1 or more offered by some Forex brokerages).

What "credit bubble"? What are you talking about? Why do you care and what is your grudge?

Empty
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 03:04:42 AM

I can't believe this thread even exists, Giancarlo shouldn't have even bothered commenting the obvious!
The logic in the original post is SO totally wrong and the OP really needs to do the homework on basic trading tools (for ANY commodity trading platform!!!) before trying to "make waves" with absolutely no basis to the accusations.

Fist of all, the total borrowed (regardless of what it was in the past) is a reflection of current traded volume on Bitfinex and this number grew simply because more traders joined the platform recently. This is just what it is - Bitfinex recently became the most popular exchange for BTC/USD pair.

Secondly, ALL of the borrowed by traders funds you see are fully backed primarily by THEIR OWN funds. There is simply no other technical way to borrow, but to have sufficient amount in trader's own account and the leverage at Bitfinex is a measly 2.5:1 (this is "nothing" in comparison to a 400:1 or more offered by some Forex brokerages).

What "credit bubble"? What are you talking about? Why do you care and what is your grudge?

Blitz just got totally owned.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 04:05:09 AM

They will rollback the trades and everything will be just fine, no need to worry so much about cascade.
This is only true if the price on other markets returns to the point prior to when the cascade went off. If there is a differential, then that portion of liquidated traders will lose.

This has been my worry for a long time. Lenders will be fucked if the price on other exchanges doesn't recover and the book is liquidated. They should have cut back on trader's margin allowed a long time ago. It's out of hand.

This spot for rent.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 04:08:30 AM

Do you have numbers to back up the first bolded? Compare to short swaps over the same period.

And on the second, take a look at the order book. And consider order book manipulation on top of that. Consider that Stamp liquidity is gone. In a serious decline -- a flash crash that does not recover -- how much of those longs can be sustained by the book?

I'd like to see some numbers since you seem so sure. At a glance, the situation is actually quite bad.

This spot for rent.
Bogleg

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 04:24:19 AM

They will rollback the trades and everything will be just fine, no need to worry so much about cascade.
This is only true if the price on other markets returns to the point prior to when the cascade went off. If there is a differential, then that portion of liquidated traders will lose.

This has been my worry for a long time. Lenders will be fucked if the price on other exchanges doesn't recover and the book is liquidated. They should have cut back on trader's margin allowed a long time ago. It's out of hand.

Leveraged traders will get wiped out first before lenders. And since bitfinex has insured all swap, they will get sued if they do not keep their promise.
myself
Legendary

Activity: 938

chaos is fun...…damental :)

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 05:10:43 AM

you can always ask R to edit the data base and give you some money to play the market, but i guess first u need to be a special friend  Grin

Los desesperados publican que lo inventó el rey que rabió, porque todo son en el rabias y mas rabias, disgustos y mas disgustos, pezares y mas pezares; si el que compra algunas partidas vé que baxan, rabia de haver comprado; si suben, rabia de que no compró mas; si compra, suben, vende, gana y buelan aun á mas alto precio del que ha vendido; rabia de que vendió por menor precio: si no compra ni vende y ván subiendo, rabia de que haviendo tenido impulsos de comprar, no llegó á lograr los impulsos; si van baxando, rabia de que, haviendo tenido amagos de vender, no se resolvió á gozar los amagos; si le dan algun consejo y acierta, rabia de que no se lo dieron antes; si yerra, rabia de que se lo dieron; con que todo son inquietudes, todo arrepentimientos, tododelirios, luchando siempre lo insufrible con lo feliz, lo indomito con lo tranquilo y lo rabioso con lo deleytable.
boraf

Activity: 315
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:43:09 AM

you can always ask R to edit the data base and give you some money to play the market, but i guess first u need to be a special friend  Grin

What do you mean?
elebit

Activity: 441

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:54:37 AM

Secondly, ALL of the borrowed by traders funds you see are fully backed primarily by THEIR OWN funds. There is simply no other technical way to borrow,

Yeah ... about that ... I think you need to expand your imagination a little. Talk to Zhou Tong about it.
elebit

Activity: 441

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:58:24 AM

And since bitfinex has insured all swap, they will get sued if they do not keep their promise.

Please warn before you do this. I still have coffee coming out of my nose.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 06:59:26 AM

There are no accusations in the OP - it is entirely valid speculation about leverage and swap costs.
CEG5952

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
June 28, 2014, 07:13:17 AM

Leveraged traders will get wiped out first before lenders. And since bitfinex has insured all swap, they will get sued if they do not keep their promise.

Yes, leveraged traders will get wiped out. First. You assume sufficient liquidity to save lenders. That's a joke. Bitfinex has not insured all swap! They have "effectively" insured it. Do that math -- 15% of swap fees? Versus the reality if they have to liquidate the book? Everyone is just so damn sure that a crash can't keep the price down. But if it does, Bitfinex can't lock traders in their positions, and lenders past their contracts, indefinitely. And that will be the end of this house of cards.

(I'm amazed at how this community learns nothing from the past)

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: