Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:48:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This Bitfinex Credit Bubble cannot end well  (Read 62038 times)
elebit

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 06:47:29 AM

They make money off of trading fees and earn a portion of the interest on Swaps. Over the long term they stand to make more money off of these fees would outweigh the amount they could get away with if they were to steal the coins from their customers.

Mmm... When have I heard this before? Was it MtGox..? Or Bitcoinica? Or SCexchange? Or..?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 04, 2014, 10:11:18 AM

Nah, it was GLBSE, BTCS&T or inputs.io! Tongue

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
InwardContour

Activity: 644
Merit: 260

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:12:31 AM

There's almost 29M usd swaps now on bitfinex, and to me it looks like the upward momentum has stopped. If the price ranges from 640-660 for a while with no upward movement the probability of a long squeeze is going to increase dangerously.

Quite a lot of money they are holding.

What stop them from running away or claimed hack like tradefotress did?
They make money off of trading fees and earn a portion of the interest on Swaps. Over the long term they stand to make more money off of these fees would outweigh the amount they could get away with if they were to steal the coins from their customers.

This is only true when bitcoin is still growing and market is expanding.
I would say it is true whenever trading volumes are high. There is no need for the market to expand or the price to increase.
twiifm

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:35:03 AM

There's almost 29M usd swaps now on bitfinex, and to me it looks like the upward momentum has stopped. If the price ranges from 640-660 for a while with no upward movement the probability of a long squeeze is going to increase dangerously.

You don't have to worry if they run off with your money.   You should worry about how to get your money out in case of insolvency
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 03:51:23 AM

I would say it is true whenever trading volumes are high. There is no need for the market to expand or the price to increase.

Volume is a function of growth and expansion. High fluctuation in price attracts gambler and speculator, which also mean increase volume.
InwardContour

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 08:19:30 PM

Volume is a function of growth and expansion. High fluctuation in price attracts gambler and speculator, which also mean increase volume.

They would make more money when volume is growing but they will make money off of the current volumes as well as most of their costs are a factor of their volume.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 05, 2014, 10:42:13 PM

You don't have to worry if they run off with your money.   You should worry about how to get your money out in case of insolvency
The only way to get your money back in the event of either would be to withdraw your funds prior to the theft/insolvency happening.

This spot for rent.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 03:10:15 AM

MF Global

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
leezay

Activity: 363
Merit: 100

SWISSREALCOIN - FIRST REAL ESTATE CRYPTO TOKEN

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 04:43:16 AM

MF Global

The case with Mtgox is most likely same with MG Global. Betting with customer money and went bust.

DannyElfman

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:15:23 PM

MF Global

The case with Mtgox is most likely same with MG Global. Betting with customer money and went bust.
MF global was a ponzi. I would say that gox was more incompetence then betting customer money and was likely not a ponzi

This spot for rent.
DurbanPoison

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 05:41:58 PM

Can someone please tell me what kind of returns you can make if you deposit to Bitfinex and lend out for margin traders?
Sukrim
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:33:12 PM

Depends on what you lend out (BTC, USD, LTC), also it depends on the market - so far I've earned from several % per day down to 0.00XX%.

Check out bfxdata.com for example to get an overview over current rates.

https://www.coinlend.org <-- automated lending at various exchanges.
https://www.bitfinex.com <-- Trade BTC for other currencies and vice versa.
Justine

Activity: 169

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 06:37:12 PM

Can someone please tell me what kind of returns you can make if you deposit to Bitfinex and lend out for margin traders?

Don't forget letting someone hold your money is risky also.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2014, 06:40:48 PM

As I heard you dictate the amount of profit yourself and traders can then choose to use your funds to leverage or not. The system automatically makes that decision for them if they take a position.
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:21:37 PM

The total $ swaps stay around 29M$, while the bid sum is just below 4M$. Looks so healthy ... not.
But as long as the BTC swaps don't jump, this can continue for a while.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 07:36:32 PM

The total $ swaps stay around 29M$, while the bid sum is just below 4M$. Looks so healthy ... not.

For a while. But how long? Personally, I see a bullish move to the $700s brewing, and I am praying that some of these swaps come down during that time (rather than the opposite, which has been happening --> price goes up OR down, swaps go up). Unfortunately, I think many will see a move like that as confirming the coming of the next bubble, when in fact, we might retest the lows... Smiley

Gimmelfarb

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 06, 2014, 08:20:45 PM

like i was saying the other day -- just looking at those numbers is scary. and it only continues to diverge even more. i know bids would fill in during a serious decline.... but just how many?
InwardContour

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 12:44:49 AM

As the swaps mature the other party to the swaps will likely want to enter into new swap agreements.
DannyElfman

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:19:10 AM

In order for this data to have any meaning, you would need to know just how leveraged traders that take out these swaps are, if they are only leveraged 1.001 to 1 then they could simply close a small portion of their holdings with little impact on the market if they cannot borrow at reasonable terms. 

This spot for rent.
tinof

Activity: 343

View Profile
July 07, 2014, 03:57:19 AM

In order for this data to have any meaning, you would need to know just how leveraged traders that take out these swaps are, if they are only leveraged 1.001 to 1 then they could simply close a small portion of their holdings with little impact on the market if they cannot borrow at reasonable terms. 

Total swap of 29M alone shows many are quite bullish at bitcoin and willing to borrow at high rate to own bitcoin.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: