Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:46:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: This Bitfinex Credit Bubble cannot end well  (Read 62038 times)
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:32:23 PM

Its possible to take swap but never pay for it. That's the pb.

Also, since a year ago, we've increased by about 600%. It would be very possible to leverage long on that with a 200% interest rate.

would it be wise, considering weeks and months of sideways price action? that's a lot of interest to pay for sideways, and through times of down trending. it's one thing to hold, it's another to baghold margin.

Well, its just the buy and hodl strategy except leveraged.

I know quite a few people basically in that exact situation who aren't complaining or sweating it much right now.

Not saying its the best strategy but you can't deny people are doing it, and I don't think its going to end any time soon .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FattyMcButterpants

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:54:35 PM

Also, since a year ago, we've increased by about 600%. It would be very possible to leverage long on that with a 200% interest rate.

would it be wise, considering weeks and months of sideways price action? that's a lot of interest to pay for sideways, and through times of down trending. it's one thing to hold, it's another to baghold margin.

I know quite a few people basically in that exact situation who aren't complaining or sweating it much right now.

Not saying its the best strategy but you can't deny people are doing it, and I don't think its going to end any time soon .

i just dont really get it, though. if you are going to baghold for months anyway, then liquidity really is no issue. so why not leverage on MT4 and pay no interest?
Keyara

Activity: 174
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 09:58:29 PM

i just dont really get it, though. if you are going to baghold for months anyway, then liquidity really is no issue. so why not leverage on MT4 and pay no interest?

What MT4? Which country is the company located?
FattyMcButterpants

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:01:16 PM

What MT4? Which country is the company located?

MetaTrader 4 is a trading platform. to trade BTC on it (with leverage) you trade through BTCE which is based in Bulgaria. obviously, then you want to look at the reputability of BTCE. Smiley

BTCE --> finance tab > Meta Trader
tinof

Activity: 343

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:01:39 PM

Can MT4 let user send bitcoin in and out easily?  What about tax filing requirement?

theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:03:22 PM

MT4 isn't a person guys...

This thread is getting kinda funny

wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 10:04:41 PM

MT4 isn't a person guys...

This thread is getting kinda funny

Haha, this made me laugh  Cheesy
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:45:11 PM

The increase in price would not be a guarantee while the interest costs would be guaranteed. High interest costs like the cost in your example would force a trader to need a large upswing shortly after opening his position or risk gettting a margin call.

This spot for rent.
AceWallen

Activity: 479
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 08, 2014, 11:56:16 PM

The increase in price would not be a guarantee while the interest costs would be guaranteed. High interest costs like the cost in your example would force a trader to need a large upswing shortly after opening his position or risk gettting a margin call.

nobody is going to hold swaps at these rates for a year. every day those swaps eat away at your margin position, and every day your margin call gets higher.
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 12:56:09 AM

nobody is going to hold swaps at these rates for a year. every day those swaps eat away at your margin position, and every day your margin call gets higher.

I know at least 2 people who have open margin positions for about a year each.

AceWallen

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:04:45 AM

on bitfinex? that's insane. they couldn't fine tune their analysis to cut down on 60-250% annual interest? why throw away so much money? that's just foolish.
wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:08:03 AM

Can you ask them their views on that? It sounds insane, but maybe I'm missing something here.
theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:09:51 AM

on bitfinex? that's insane. they couldn't fine tune their analysis to cut down on 60-250% annual interest? why throw away so much money? that's just foolish.

I don't know, they're pretty chill about it honestly. I was kind of surprised myself. I don't know if foolish though, they have made the full 600% profit since a year ago and using leverage to multiply your profit by 2 can't hurt. I wouldn't do it, seems way too scary when you could just buy without leverage and not sweat it nearly as much, but I can't criticize success.

theonewhowaskazu

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 01:10:25 AM

Can you ask them their views on that? It sounds insane, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Sure, I can ask. I am seeing them either tomorrow or thursday anyway.

AceWallen

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 02:22:33 AM

interesting. i just feel like the exchange risk alone for the length of a year would be unattractive. then add huge interest on top? crazy. to each his own i guess. bulls gonna bull. Cheesy
DannyElfman

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 04:23:55 AM

If prices go up at a gradual, consistent, pace with few to no downtrends then it would make sense, but no asset price acts this way.

This spot for rent.
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 05:37:33 AM

If prices go up at a gradual, consistent, pace with few to no downtrends then it would make sense, but no asset price acts this way.

This, and more importantly I think, as someone mentioned, exchange risk. Just look at Gox and some of the other exchanges/businesses that have gone belly up or run with customer money. It's still the wild west out here.

dadugan

Activity: 179

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 05:51:44 PM

This, and more importantly I think, as someone mentioned, exchange risk. Just look at Gox and some of the other exchanges/businesses that have gone belly up or run with customer money. It's still the wild west out here.

It make more sense for exchange to stay honest. Mtgox blows it big time when Mark can sell the entire business for over 200M but choose to defraud customers.

Bitfinex can probably sell for at least 70M if the volume is true.
CEG5952

Activity: 658

Buy and sell bitcoins,

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:12:37 PM

It make more sense for exchange to stay honest. Mtgox blows it big time when Mark can sell the entire business for over 200M but choose to defraud customers.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not really in a position to speculate on that. If you feel comfortable holding all your coins on these exchanges, be my guest. Wink

wachtwoord
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2014, 07:15:31 PM

If karpales showed anything it's that actors in this space don't always act rationally. I mean he was printing money with a business a Chimpanzee could run and he still managed to fuck it up.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: