Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:13:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should this thread get stickied?
Yes - 127 (85.8%)
No - 13 (8.8%)
I don't know / Not sure - 8 (5.4%)
Total Voters: 148

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Unofficial list of (official) Bitcointalk.org rules, guidelines, FAQ  (Read 920423 times)
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:08:39 PM
Last edit: July 22, 2014, 08:33:33 PM by Welsh

Nice job on the categories maybe this will reduce the amount of issues with people posting in the wrong section or act as a reference guide for some people. If this is a complete list of all the rules and general information about the forum you might want to consider adding the member groups information to this thread, although it's already a sticky I think having all information with links to sources in one thread is much easier.

Sources to consider:
- member groups & activity. Link 1 and/or Link 2

Sorry to be a pain but, you have made a slight typo:
Recently I noticed that a lot of new members don't know all the rules and I don't (usually) blame them since not all rules are written and even those written can be overlooked by user who don't pay mucha attention

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:26:46 PM

Nice job on the categories maybe this will reduce the amount of issues with people posting in the wrong section or act as a reference guide for some people. If this is a complete list of all the rules and general information about the forum you might want to consider adding the member groups information to this thread, although it's already a sticky I think having all information with links to sources in one thread is much easier.

Sources to consider:
- member groups & activity. Link 1 and/or Link 2

Plus, sorry to be a pain but, you have made a slight typo:
Recently I noticed that a lot of new members don't know all the rules and I don't (usually) blame them since not all rules are written and even those written can be overlooked by user who don't pay mucha attention
Fixed the typo, thanks. I'm not sure regarding the linked threads as the info is already stickied and writing it again would only just increase the info in the thread. Don't want it to be "information overkill" as most users would skip the whole thread altogether. Tongue

dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
July 22, 2014, 08:28:13 PM

5. No link shortners that requires users to view an ad.

6. No linking to phishing or malware, without a warning and a valid reason. [e]

Examples:

5. The warning must be obvious. For example: "MalwareSite.com <------ CAUTION. This is a malware site - do NOT click". A valid reason would be if your Bitcoin wallet was hacked and you feel a file you downloaded is to blame.

Buglet: the example "5" should be labeled "6".

No problem. I'll PM you if I update this list so you could edit the translated one.

No need to, I'll take periodic and automatic differences by myself Wink.
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 22, 2014, 08:35:06 PM

5. No link shortners that requires users to view an ad.

6. No linking to phishing or malware, without a warning and a valid reason. [e]

Examples:

5. The warning must be obvious. For example: "MalwareSite.com <------ CAUTION. This is a malware site - do NOT click". A valid reason would be if your Bitcoin wallet was hacked and you feel a file you downloaded is to blame.

Buglet: the example "5" should be labeled "6".

No problem. I'll PM you if I update this list so you could edit the translated one.

No need to, I'll take periodic and automatic differences by myself Wink.
Fixed, thanks. Post if you notice any other mistakes.

mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 09:54:36 AM

Added in an FAQ (still unfinished) and rule 22 with a source. Suggest possible FAQ questions, maybe something you've seen quite often in Meta recently or somewhere else.

railzand

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Lux e tenebris

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:17:20 AM

Added in an FAQ (still unfinished) and rule 22 with a source. Suggest possible FAQ questions, maybe something you've seen quite often in Meta recently or somewhere else.

for faq: why no avatars?
when's the new forum blah ready?
i wanna change my forum name
why my ip got banned/units o'evil

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 10:34:12 AM

There is a thread about "quote pyramids" (quoting other nested quotes) here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=714292

Is this worthy to be including in this "Bitcointalk.org rules and guidelines"?
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 10:41:14 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2014, 11:03:51 AM by mprep

for faq: why no avatars?
when's the new forum blah ready?
i wanna change my forum name
why my ip got banned/units o'evil
Will add.

EDIT: Done, thanks.

There is a thread about "quote pyramids" (quoting other nested quotes) here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=714292

Is this worthy to be including in this "Bitcointalk.org rules and guidelines"?
That's kind of covered by rule one:

1. No zero or low value, pointless or uninteresting posts or threads. [1][e]

Besides it the source can't be considered trustworthy unless posted by a long time staff member although I do agree that quote pyramids are not allowed.

I added it in the examples of the first rule:

Examples:

1. Such posts like "SELL SELL SELL", "I agree", "+1", "Support", "Watching", "Interesting", "LOL", "SCAM", "LEGIT", "FAKE", other one word posts, posts consisting mostly of swearing, quote pyramids, useless introduction threads, threads about a topic already recently discussed in several other threads.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 08:19:39 PM

typical FAQ questions (that are still missing) would be:

- why am I banned Wink
-> because you violated the rules, those who have to ask are usually banned for spamming
- how does activity work
-> there are plenty of threads to link (e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0 )
- how do ranks work
-> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=178608.0
- how can I insert/upload an image
-> images are not hosted by bitcointalk.org you need to upload them somewhere else and use
Code:
[img]http://url.to.my/img.jpg[/img]

probably more...

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2014, 09:27:39 PM

- why am I banned Wink
-> because you violated the rules, those who have to ask are usually banned for spamming
- how does activity work
-> there are plenty of threads to link (e.g. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=177133.0 )
- how do ranks work
-> images are not hosted by bitcointalk.org you need to upload them somewhere else and use
Code:

probably more...
Will add them tommorrow, thanks and keep them coming.

SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 10:50:48 PM

This is great. I think the list should be vetted by forum administration and stickied.
I think that's intentional there is no comprehensive rulebook.
Why so?

No "official" set of rules was ever published, because if rules are set in stone, then people will come up with clever ways to bypass them, and then complain when a moderator takes action. This is however a very good thread to read to find out in general what you can and can't do. I do believe it should be stickied, but kept as "unofficial"
Buziss

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 31, 2014, 11:21:44 PM

You may add 2 more questions in your FAQ section:

Q: Why do I get the "The last posting from your IP was less than 360 seconds ago." error when I haven't posted today?
A: Logging in, searching, sending PM will also be counted as posting.

Q: How to get rid of the 360 seconds posting limit?
A: The limit will be lowered to 75 seconds when you have 15 activity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237597.msg4131557#msg4131557

mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 09:33:19 AM

Changed the position of the FAQ and guidelines for better visibility. Added in a special thanks at the end for everyone that contributed (post here if I missed you).

- why am I banned Wink
- how does activity work
- how do ranks work
Code:

probably more...
Added, thanks.

This is great. I think the list should be vetted by forum administration and stickied.
Why so?

No "official" set of rules was ever published, because if rules are set in stone, then people will come up with clever ways to bypass them, and then complain when a moderator takes action. This is however a very good thread to read to find out in general what you can and can't do. I do believe it should be stickied, but kept as "unofficial"
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Smiley

You may add 2 more questions in your FAQ section:

Q: Why do I get the "The last posting from your IP was less than 360 seconds ago." error when I haven't posted today?
A: Logging in, searching, sending PM will also be counted as posting.

Q: How to get rid of the 360 seconds posting limit?
A: The limit will be lowered to 75 seconds when you have 15 activity. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=237597.msg4131557#msg4131557

Added as one question, thanks.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 09:56:29 AM

No "official" set of rules was ever published, because if rules are set in stone, then people will come up with clever ways to bypass them, and then complain when a moderator takes action.
This is so true it's scary. I think it's important to point out that it's even more important to stick to the "spirit" of the rule rather than to the letter of the rule. There will always be a roundabout way to interpret rules that make it such that you're sticking strictly to the letter of the rule, even if you're clearly crossing the boundary. To that end, the rules should also stipulate that someone trying to get around the rules by sticking to them on a literal level while clearly infringing on what the rule was intended to prevent, is also not allowed.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 10:21:49 AM

No "official" set of rules was ever published, because if rules are set in stone, then people will come up with clever ways to bypass them, and then complain when a moderator takes action.
This is so true it's scary. I think it's important to point out that it's even more important to stick to the "spirit" of the rule rather than to the letter of the rule. There will always be a roundabout way to interpret rules that make it such that you're sticking strictly to the letter of the rule, even if you're clearly crossing the boundary. To that end, the rules should also stipulate that someone trying to get around the rules by sticking to them on a literal level while clearly infringing on what the rule was intended to prevent, is also not allowed.
Added in Rule 23 with an example:

23. When deciding if a user has broken the rules, the staff have the right to follow their interpretation of the rules.[e]

23. This rule is meant to prevent from users exploiting possible loopholes in the rules or some interpretations that follow the literal meaning of the rule rather than the meaning of what it truly wanted to prevent.

Anduck
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1072

quack

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 10:22:26 AM

A valid reason would be if your Bitcoin wallet was hacked and you feel a file you downloaded is to blame.
This sentence in the thread starter post makes these kind of thefts sound so 'everyday stuff.' I wouldn't want newbies to think that wallet-stealing is 'normal' stuff here.

Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 10:30:09 AM

Why so?

I can see your point but I think there should be some ground rules set down, otherwise it's really not fair on people when they have no warning. The rules can seem contradictory at times and some things by certain users seems to be permissible whilst not for others and their punishment seems like its down to the whim of the indivudal monderator or admin.
Ludi

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 01, 2014, 10:34:42 AM

A valid reason would be if your Bitcoin wallet was hacked and you feel a file you downloaded is to blame.
This sentence in the thread starter post makes these kind of thefts sound so 'everyday stuff.' I wouldn't want newbies to think that wallet-stealing is 'normal' stuff here.

Personally I feel on the contrary. I think newbies should be aware that this stuff is happening as they need to be on their guard and cautious. You really can't be too safe with your funds, however you can be sloppy and if you are you can say bye bye to them.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 11:37:19 AM

Added in Rule 23 with an example:

23. When deciding if a user has broken the rules, the staff have the right to follow their interpretation of the rules.[e]

23. This rule is meant to prevent from users exploiting possible loopholes in the rules or some interpretations that follow the literal meaning of the rule rather than the meaning of what it truly wanted to prevent.
Thanks, exercised already.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
mprep (OP)
Global Moderator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2014, 07:35:25 PM
Last edit: August 18, 2014, 09:11:14 AM by mprep

Personally I feel on the contrary. I think newbies should be aware that this stuff is happening as they need to be on their guard and cautious. You really can't be too safe with your funds, however you can be sloppy and if you are you can say bye bye to them.
My opinion on this subject would be that although wallet hacks aren't a constant threat, but they aren't a rare one either. It happens and happens quite often. People have to be aware and take the necessary steps to protect their wallets.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 »
  Print  

Jump to: