Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 11:41:22 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... 186 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine  (Read 578447 times)
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 02:24:25 AM

I will change the name when you guys come up with a really good name which has not been used already for another coin, and the .com, .info or .org domain is still available, and you have a really good logo made which is better than our existing one (I'm not spending money on another logo when I really like the one we have). The green and black color scheme cannot change though, because then I would have to redesign the entire website and the web wallet. The currency code cannot change either because we are already listed on several exchanges and I don't want to hassle them.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
shadowduck

Activity: 840
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 02:50:28 AM

I will change the name when you guys come up with a really good name which has not been used already for another coin, and the .com, .info or .org domain is still available, and you have a really good logo made which is better than our existing one (I'm not spending money on another logo when I really like the one we have). The green and black color scheme cannot change though, because then I would have to redesign the entire website and the web wallet. The currency code cannot change either because we are already listed on several exchanges and I don't want to hassle them.

Also, please release a MAC client.

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 03:46:12 AM

There was a briefly a previous MiniCoin (just as there was briefly a previous ByteCoin), but it's gone and never coming back.
See the thing is, we purposely avoided choosing any name which had already been used by another coin. I'm sure that even if MiniCoin is totally dead, there are still many remnants of it on the internet which will cause confusion for people. It took us a very long time to find a good name which hadn't already been used, and the domain was still available. I also really like the logo we have, which I paid to have made. At this point it would be a total pain to change the name, but if you want to call it MiniCoin as a secondary name and redirect one or more of those domains to cryptonite.info I wouldn't be against it. Personally I just don't think changing the name would really benefit us very much, I think there are far more important things to focus on, and if the name is good enough now I see no reason to mess with it.

"Cryptonite" is already being confused with not just another coin, but with an entire family of very successful other coins AND that family's proof-of-work.

I'm not discounting the time/effort you put into the name, but am asking you to reevaluate the outcome of that process in light of the current situation.

Minicoin was a minor blip, it came and went without notice, signifying nothing.  It's a great name for this project, and just sitting there waiting to be used.

"Minicoin' only appears in google 11,900 times.  "Cryptonight" appears 33,800 times.  "CryptoNote" appears 55,300 times.  "CryptoKnight" appears 8,900 times.

I regret to report that your attempt to avoid a naming collision failed.  That's just a fact, sorry.  Pronunciation matters just as much as spelling, perhaps more.

MiniCoin was barely used in the past, and not being used currently.  Based on your own criteria for originality and distinctiveness, MiniCoin is a better choice (IE does less harm) than Cryptonite, as it results in an order of magnitude less ambiguity.

We can easily ask our (handful of) exchanges to change the ticker to XMC, and make a new /r/XMC subreddit until we can acquire the full .com, etc. domains.  It should be timed to coincide with the rest of the re-branding.  It's not that hard; it's been done before.

Don't let the search for a perfect (totally virgin, free .com) name be the enemy of a name like MiniCoin that's very much good enough.

I think you are setting the bar higher than is needed.  I've already registered the minico.in, minicoin.io, and minicoin.info domains we'd need for a switch.

If you have to veto MiniCoin reuse, let's go with MiniChain.  I am happy to donate use of my minicha.in and minichain.io domains as well.

I'm not saying a name change is hassle-free.  I am saying it is worth the hassles, and we are still very much in the earliest days of the coin.

Please do not doom us to an eternity of

When I tell people about this coin, I have to use the qualifier 'with a c-, not like in superman, and also with an -ite, not night, like, you know, the dark time after the sun goes down' and they say, 'oh it's like bytecoin or monero!' and I say 'no it's an all new POW called M7' and they say 'then why's it named after their POW?' and I say again 'no, it's spelled with an -ite' and they say 'oh like superman!!' and then I give up and change the subject.

I like MiniCoin because 1) it's an apt shorthand descriptor of the underlying mini-blockchain feature, and 2) it's a cute pun on ManyCoin, which is appropriate because there will be so many Minicoins.   Cool

Again, it reflects positively on a coin when the devs graciously accept community/userbase pushback.  We have an opportunity to demonstrate how well we work together.  Branding drama is annoying; we all want get back to work on building out the MBC platform.  The sooner we resolve the unfortunate naming collision the better.

MiniCoin *MIGHT* be, in the worst case, confused with an obscure, short-lived, abandoned coin that went nowhere.

Cryptonite *IS* being confused with Cryptonote (a shady effort of uncertain provenance), a Proof-of-work, Superman's weakness, a bike lock, and an Android encryption product.  Not to mention CryptoKnight, an obscure, short-lived, abandoned coin that went nowhere.   Grin

We can get another logo (or simply change the 'C' in the current one to an 'M'); we cannot get a second chance to make a good first impression on new users.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 04:13:47 AM
Last edit: August 31, 2014, 04:27:33 AM by bitfreak!

I regret to report that your attempt to avoid a naming collision failed.  That's just a fact, sorry.  Pronunciation matters just as much as spelling, perhaps more.
Well all this Cryptonote stuff didn't even exist when we came up with the name, we only found out about it later on after we had decided on the name. And I don't think it's really much of a collision at all. So what if it is similar, I don't think it's really a huge deal. The closest sounding name is cryptonight, but that isn't even a coin, it's just a PoW algorithm, so I didn't really care if it's similar.

MiniCoin was barely used in the past, and not being used currently.  Based on your own criteria for originality and distinctiveness, MiniCoin is a better choice (IE does less harm) than Cryptonite, as it results in an order of magnitude less ambiguity.
I just did a search for minicoin and the old minicoin thread and the reddit are at the top of the results. It is simply a terrible idea to change the name to something which was already used. If we are going to go to all the trouble to change the name in order to avoid confusion, we must at least choose something which will indeed avoid confusion and not cause more confusion.

Don't let the search for a perfect (totally virgin, free .com) name be the enemy of a name like MiniCoin that's very much good enough.
I didn't say we need a .com domain, we need a .com or .org or .info domain, we need at least one of those.

We can easily ask our (handful of) exchanges to change the ticker to XMC, and make a new /r/XMC subreddit until we can acquire the full .com, etc. domains.  It should be timed to coincide with the rest of the re-branding.  It's not that hard; it's been done before.
Well it isn't that simple, and even if I was I wouldn't change it. It's a very bad idea to screw around with the currency code once it has been traded under that code.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
suchnekky

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 04:27:15 AM

Please dont use minicoin thats terrible. What about cryptus, cryptuscoin. Or crypte. cryptobit. Or I think this should be done properly, full ticker change and complete name change if it has to be done. I think the current name is perfect but I guess a few people have difficulties seeing the letter "i" and instead see an "o". Happens to me too, everytime I read bitcoin, I read botcoin -_- naaaht really.

• ⓢⓤⓒⓗⓝⓔⓚⓚⓨ •
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 04:29:37 AM

Please dont use minicoin thats terrible. What about cryptus, cryptuscoin. Or crypte.
I don't think minicoin is too bad, but cryptus isn't great either. And this is why it's so hard to find a name that everyone likes. If we did change the name we'd just have a new group of people who don't like it and want it changed.

suchnekky

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 04:36:52 AM

Please dont use minicoin thats terrible. What about cryptus, cryptuscoin. Or crypte.
I don't think minicoin is too bad, but cryptus isn't great either. And this is why it's so hard to find a name that everyone likes. If we did change the name we'd just have a new group of people who don't like it and want it changed.

Cryptobit? Microbit? Perhaps think of a few solid names, then make a poll and see what the people prefer, including an option to keep current  name. I dont think the name is really too important. The logo could do with a bit of a makeover tho. It would take a designer half hour to patch something up. Id donate to that

As for the name we just need to mix it up a bit hey everyones done the same old minicoin microcoin tinycoin, keep it uniqe, and if you cant find something amazing then keep the current

• ⓢⓤⓒⓗⓝⓔⓚⓚⓨ •
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 04:44:21 AM

Perhaps think of a few solid names, then make a poll and see what the people prefer, including an option to keep current  name.
I wouldn't be against that idea, but all the names in the poll would have to be original names which haven't been used by another coin in the past. The only potential issue with that approach is that I can't get any good domain for the new name chosen.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 05:26:51 AM

*beats iCEBREAKER's dead horse*

If we switch to Minicoin, google hits for the old coin would quickly be buried far down in the results.  We can also ask the altcoin sub mod to archive the old thread.

I know Cryptonote came out of nowhere.  But now that it's here, and a huge success to boot, we have to deal with it one way or another. 

I prefer a proactive approach to the passive 'just ignore it and hope it goes away' one.

Of course 'Cryptonite' vs 'Crypto note/night/knight doesn't seem like a collision *TO YOU*.  My concern is not your singular experience, but rather new users'.  Please try to put yourself in their shoes.  XCN is still an extremely exotic coin, and yet we're already hearing about how confusing the nomenclature is.  That's poor branding.  Poor branding makes for poor marketing.  There's no reason to stay married to Cryptonite when it's clearly not working out very well, even at this early 'still on our honeymoon' date.   Undecided

You have more familiarity with and therefore attachment to XCN than anyone else.  To the rest of us, XCN is a very new thing.  It's not on that many exchanges, and doesn't have much volume on the ones it is on.  What looks like halftime to you, appears as the pre-game hoopla to others.  (I know it's very brave to use a sports metaphor on BTCT... Grin).

The new Bytecoin isn't confused with the old one, and there is no reason to expect new Minicoin would be either.  Moreover, I heard about OG Bytecoin, but never had the slightest inkling Minicoin exists/existed.

BitMonero changed to Monero, and further changed the original MRO ticker to XMR.  And that's in spite of the fact that Monero enjoyed far more publicity upon launch than XCN.  It's not just possible to change names/tickers/logos, it's fairly common.

I propose we let money talk.  IE, we auction off for the benefit of the dev fund the right to rename XCN. 

We could make the selection multiple choice to prevent some rich wag or organized hater group from renaming it HitlerCoin, CryptoPenis, or anything else inappropriate.   Cheesy

I'll start by bidding 25k XCN for a change to MiniCoin or MiniChain.

Sorry to keep bugging you about this, but it's tough love.  I like this coin enough to be willing to risk annoying even its main benefactor in order to push through (or at least have a through discussion of) a change others and myself feel is very important.  I don't think the naming collision is a show-stopper, but is already causing headaches and repetitious clarification posts to clutter up precious main thread real estate.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 06:16:00 AM

You have more familiarity with and therefore attachment to XCN than anyone else.  To the rest of us, XCN is a very new thing.
I have no attachment to the currency code, in fact I don't really like it very much. My reasons for not wanting to change it are purely technical. I am willing to change the name but not the currency code. Well maybe if we finally do decide to change the name at some point I'll consider changing the currency code too.

The new Bytecoin isn't confused with the old one, and there is no reason to expect new Minicoin would be either.  Moreover, I heard about OG Bytecoin, but never had the slightest inkling Minicoin exists/existed.
Actually I did confuse Bytecoin with the old Bytecoin, and I only recently realized they were two different things. The fact is I'm not going to change the name to something else unless it's something which is 100% certain not to cause confusion, otherwise there's no point changing.

bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 06:38:44 AM

I propose we let money talk.  IE, we auction off for the benefit of the dev fund the right to rename XCN.  
Lol am I allowed to vote/bid? I already have about 2BTC reserved for the development fund. If so, I vote keep it the same.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 06:43:18 AM

You have more familiarity with and therefore attachment to XCN than anyone else.  To the rest of us, XCN is a very new thing.
I have no attachment to the currency code, in fact I don't really like it very much. My reasons for not wanting to change it are purely technical. I am willing to change the name but not the currency code. Well maybe if we finally do decide to change the name at some point I'll consider changing the currency code too.

The new Bytecoin isn't confused with the old one, and there is no reason to expect new Minicoin would be either.  Moreover, I heard about OG Bytecoin, but never had the slightest inkling Minicoin exists/existed.
Actually I did confuse Bytecoin with the old Bytecoin, and I only recently realized they were two different things. The fact is I'm not going to change the name to something else unless it's something which is 100% certain not to cause confusion, otherwise there's no point changing.

Grin  Heh, I was all like "ByteCoin?  *facepalm* Not that shit again" too.  But that was only the first time.  Nobody confuses them anymore, which is my point.

This is about comparative advantage, not finding the perfect pristine Holy Name.

This is certain: our current name, 'Cryptonite' is 100% certain to continue causing confusion with the much larger and more popular Cryptonote family.

This is not certain: changing to Minicoin (previously an obscure thing nobody ever noticed) *may* possibly cause confusion.

100% chance of continuing confusion vs. <100% possibility of confusion.  I'm not sure how to illustrate the comparative advantage any more clearly.   Undecided

You've already changed the name of the coin to something which is 100% certain to cause confusion.  It's still entirely early enough in this coin's life to easily correct that mishap with minimal hassle.  The longer we wait the harder it gets.

I didn't initially care about the phonetic collision either (since I already knew all about MBC and C-NOTE).  But having heard the recent tales of mistaken identity, I've come around to accept the change is warranted.  You are also hearing these tales; perhaps it's time to listen?

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
August 31, 2014, 07:03:49 AM

This is not certain: changing to Minicoin (previously an obscure thing nobody ever noticed) *may* possibly cause confusion.
I am not against changing the name, I just don't think it's worth changing if we're going to choose something that's been used before. And to be honest with you MiniCoin is never going to happen. I don't think it's a great name and at least one other poster here doesn't think it's great either, even if we vote on it I highly doubt MiniCoin would win.  It is a relevant name connected to the nature of the project, but that doesn't make it a great name.

You are also hearing these tales; perhaps it's time to listen?
Those tales are clearly exaggerations, and even if completely true I have no desire to cater to such imbeciles. Lol. Seriously though it really isn't that hard to explain the name. I just explain it as "Cryptonite with a C instead of a K" and I might go onto further explain "so it starts with crypto as in cryptography". Some people may ask if it's related to Cryptonote or their cryptonight PoW algorithm and the answer is simple: no.

BitcoinForumator
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 07:37:20 AM

MiniCoin? Meh.

You need a powerful, unique name like Monero, etc. You can exclude the word coin.

I agree that CryptoNite is confusing. Immediately I thought that it was a Cryptonote coin.
Mouse020

Activity: 303

No one like you

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 08:40:59 AM

CryptoMini
MiniNite
MiniBlock
 Cheesy Or MiniFreak
Why people like "coin"
yellowduck2

Activity: 868

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 08:50:35 AM

how about SCoin ? The letter "S" represent small size in clothing , shoes , etc.
Jungian
Legendary

Activity: 930
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 09:10:09 AM

MiniCoin? Meh.

You need a powerful, unique name like Monero, etc. You can exclude the word coin.

I agree that CryptoNite is confusing. Immediately I thought that it was a Cryptonote coin.

My suggesetion:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/commence

"to begin", "to be first". Can't be confused with any other coin. Is quite neutral but signals progress. 

Commence or CommenceCoin. Also, that way we can keep the ticker XCN

XCN

I think Monero (XMR) is very interesting.
https://moneroeconomy.com/faq/why-monero-matters
suchnekky

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 09:16:53 AM

Cryptchain
Demichain (demi meaning small)
Demicoin
Barechain/barecoin
Cutchain/cutcoin
Trimchain
Clipcoin (as in clipped/cropped blockchain)
Snipcoin/snipchain

Just a few random ones thought of on the second, personally I like clipchain/clipcoin, has a ring to it, and you can kee p your ticker XCN

• ⓢⓤⓒⓗⓝⓔⓚⓚⓨ •
suchnekky

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 09:49:30 AM

On another note, hows that web wallet coming along?

• ⓢⓤⓒⓗⓝⓔⓚⓚⓨ •
heskey

Activity: 406

View Profile
August 31, 2014, 11:17:28 AM

CryptoMini
MiniNite
MiniBlock
 Cheesy Or MiniFreak
Why people like "coin"

Good question, I asked myself the same thing as I thought it was very unimaginative to name all coins after bitCoin. But if you think about it a bit more, Coin is actually a very good way of representing the tokens we mine and buy. It's a symbol that relates to money, and I really don't think there is any better way of symbolizing these cryptos so that people from outside can understand.

Do you own a MiniCoin or a MiniFreak, or a MiniNite?

I actually think WeeCoin is a really good and catchy name, the only weakness that I can see is that it might sound somewhat like Weak-oin..

Wee
adj. we·er, we·est
1. Very small; tiny. See Synonyms at small.
2. Very early: the wee hours of the morning.
n. Scots
A short time; a little bit.

I reserved the reddit for us just in case.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Pages: « 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 ... 186 »
  Print  

Jump to: