Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:36:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... 186 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][XCN] Cryptonite | 1st mini-blockchain coin | M7 PoW | No Premine  (Read 578441 times)
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 05:25:12 AM

And Cryptonote is not "another popular coin."  Cryptnote is a family of popular coins, most of which greatly exceed XCN in volume.
Exactly, there isn't even a coin called Cryptonote, they just use Cryptonote technology. So we have some algorithms which might be confused with our coin, I don't see why that's so bad.

I know, let's change the name to BiteKoin.  It's spelled different, so nobody except imbeciles could possible confuse us with ByteCoin!   Grin
BiteKoin would be pronounced exactly the same way as ByteCoin, and in that case I do see an issue. But there is no other coin pronounced exactly like Cryptonite so it's harder to confuse.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:28:11 AM

BiteKoin would be pronounced exactly the same way as ByteCoin, and in that case I do see an issue. But there is no other coin pronounced exactly like Cryptonite so it's harder to confuse.

Cryptonite is pronounced exactly the same as CryptoNight, the proof-of-work algorithm used by most of the CryptoNote coins.

It is confusing. I told you this before the coin launched. If you don''t care (it's not the name of a coin), that's one thing. If you are now saying that you want to use confusion as a deliberate marketing strategy, that seems pretty scumbag to me. I don't recommend it.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 05:31:50 AM

Just want to point out the market cap is more like $50k. The coin supply is wrong on coinmarketcap because minichain.info is still down. Current supply is ~11 million.

Thanks dude, I've corrected the post.

I will host a reliable block explorer as soon as the code is release and I find a web master to 'make it go.'

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 05:36:04 AM

Cryptonite is pronounced exactly the same as CryptoNight, the proof-of-work algorithm used by most of the CryptoNote coins.
It would be ridiculously hard if we tried to make our name avoid all the names of other algorithms or what ever else people will complain it is too similar to. It is pretty hard to confuse an entire coin for a PoW algorithm, and it's not nearly a good enough reason to change the name.

If you are now saying that you want to use confusion as a deliberate marketing strategy, that seems pretty scumbag to me.
I did not say that at all, I just suggested that having the name so similar to popular technology/algorithms might not be such the negative thing people are making it out to be.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 05:46:53 AM

It would be ridiculously hard if we tried to make our name avoid all the names of other algorithms or what ever else people will complain it is too similar to. It is pretty hard to confuse an entire coin for a PoW algorithm, and it's not nearly a good enough reason to change the name.

Actual confusion might be a good reason, and I've been asked about it by people who found the whole thing confusing, so I'm quite certain there is actual confusion.

That doesn't mean you have to change the name though, it's your coin, do what you want. I hold a few XCN, but they're a long term play for me and at this point I kind of doubt whether changing the name is likely to make much difference long term. Just my opinion though.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 05:52:56 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2014, 06:05:55 AM by iCEBREAKER

It is confusing. I told you this before the coin launched. If you don''t care (it's not the name of a coin), that's one thing. If you are now saying that you want to use confusion as a deliberate marketing strategy, that seems pretty scumbag to me. I don't recommend it.

I regret not participating in the naming conversation earlier this summer, so I could have concurred with smooth on this point.

But the scumbag accusation is too harsh.  BF isn't a scumbag, he's just being stubborn (which is a *good* thing) and reaching for reasons to avoid doing something that's a hassle and costs time needed for other projects.

Exactly, there isn't even a coin called Cryptonote, they just use Cryptonote technology. So we have some algorithms which might be confused with our coin, I don't see why that's so bad.

You don't see why that's so bad?  Umm, it's bad because Reasons and stuff...   Grin

I already crossposted an on-point example of why, from another thread where I tried to tell a noob about XCN and he automatically and understandably lumped XCN in with BBR and XMR.

XCN has fantastic technology that BBR/XMR can't match - mini-blockchain and unmalleable zero-confirmation safe transactions.

There is no (Great) reason to let those amazing unique qualities be obfuscated by undue association with the CryptonOte coins.

Please take off your #1 MBC Guy Hat, and look at the situation from the POV of an intelligent but underinformed noob.  I don't like seeing this great project needlessly hobbled by an entirely avoidable cases of mistaken identity.

At this still-very-early point the confusion is already actual, not theoretical.  When XCN becomes more well known, the confusion will be 1000 times worse.

You've done a perfect job of shepherding XMR XCN development so far and it pains me to see you making an unforced branding error.  Nobody can be an expert in everything.  Stand firm on technical issues, but consider listening to the chorus with regards to marketing and be flexible in your response.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:01:57 AM

I regret not participating in the naming conversation earlier this summer, so I could have concurred with smooth on this point.

But the scumbag accusation is too harsh.  BF isn't a scumbag, he's just being stubborn (which is a *good* thing) and reaching for reasons to avoid doing something that's a hassle and costs time needed for other projects.

My 'scumbag' comment was (deliberately) targeted at the practice of using deliberate confusion for marketing, not addressed at an individual.

shepherding XMR development

I'm confused here. You were replying to me but this comment seems directed at bitfreak! yet you mention XMR. Did you mean XCN?

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 06:05:14 AM

My 'scumbag' comment was (deliberately) targeted at the practice of using deliberate confusion for marketing, not addressed at an individual.

shepherding XMR development

I'm confused here. You were replying to me but this comment seems directed at bitfreak! yet you mention XMR. Did you mean XCN?

Oops, yes I meant XCN - see what BF made me do?  It's almost as if he enjoys confusing us imbeciles.   Embarrassed

*ducks*

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
enerbyte

Activity: 556
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 06:30:06 AM

change the name, cryptonite is not a good name for this great projec.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 06:37:50 AM

Cryptonite name change poll

MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:44:04 AM

The phonetic equivalence (IPA: ˈkrɪptənʌɪt) and near-exact spellings of Cyptonite/Cryptonight and Cryptonote are confusing noobs, and it's just going to get worse as XCN gains exposure.
100% agreed thank you for pointing out the difference, let me tell you google considers them already equivalent.

To further exacerbate the issue, alts still targeting enthusiasts will fail. You don't write a manual assuming the reader already knows.
heskey

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 09:29:20 AM
Last edit: September 01, 2014, 09:40:33 AM by heskey

The phonetic equivalence (IPA: ˈkrɪptənʌɪt) and near-exact spellings of Cyptonite/Cryptonight and Cryptonote are confusing noobs, and it's just going to get worse as XCN gains exposure.
100% agreed thank you for pointing out the difference, let me tell you google considers them already equivalent.

To further exacerbate the issue, alts still targeting enthusiasts will fail. You don't write a manual assuming the reader already knows.
Actually, I don't agree. Sure, Cryptonite might be confusing for a few, but it's no reason to avoid the coin? And if they read like 1 minute of the first post, they'll understand that this coin is not about anonymity.
Also, if they read the title of the the thread, it clearly states: "1st mini-blockchain coin", if that doesn't spark their interest, what will?

Believe me these new innovations takes time, it was the same thing with darkcoin(I believe I was involved at around page 40 in that thread), it took forever before people realized the value of anonymity - and suddenly it happened and anon-coins were all over the place.

I myself don't mind a name change, but we havn't come up with anything worthwhile, so why not stick with Cryptonite, it's not a bad name.

Patience, promotion and development is what we need.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
teknohog

Activity: 519
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 10:04:02 AM

Frankly, "Cryptonite", "Crypton" or any other seemingly superman or comic book reference is asking to be considered a joke for all of eternity.
If all you can think of is Superman, then better stay away from all cryptocurrencies.

world famous math art | masternodes are bad, mmmkay?
Every sha(sha(sha(sha()))), every ho-o-o-old, still shines
MaxDZ8

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 11:18:01 AM

Actually, I don't agree. Sure, Cryptonite might be confusing for a few, but it's no reason to avoid the coin?  And if they read like 1 minute of the first post, they'll understand that this coin is not about anonymity.
Also, if they read the title of the the thread, it clearly states: "1st mini-blockchain coin", if that doesn't spark their interest, what will?
If you take a step down from your ivory tower you'll understand nobody not being an enthusiast sees values in that. It's like talking about the difference between a V8 and a typical utility car engine. Stuff for car enthusiasts.
polanskiman

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 11:34:16 AM

Frankly, "Cryptonite", "Crypton" or any other seemingly superman or comic book reference is asking to be considered a joke for all of eternity.
If all you can think of is Superman, then better stay away from all cryptocurrencies.

2nd most stupid comment I've read so far.

There is no need to be a creative person to immediately assimilate the name of the coin with the green rock. I can easily assume that this idea has popped in everyone's mind when they started mining this coin. So, your recommendation as to stay away from all coins because you disagree with what others think and imagine is perhaps a sign that you need to review how you interact with people. Chill.
heskey

Activity: 406

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 12:34:00 PM

Actually, I don't agree. Sure, Cryptonite might be confusing for a few, but it's no reason to avoid the coin?  And if they read like 1 minute of the first post, they'll understand that this coin is not about anonymity.
If you take a step down from your ivory tower you'll understand nobody not being an enthusiast sees values in that. It's like talking about the difference between a V8 and a typical utility car engine. Stuff for car enthusiasts.
Please excuse my arrogance. But as I said, people will likely open their eyes to the idea soon enough, meanwhile this coin has time to prepare by fixing bugs and whatnot.

Regarding the name, we at least have had an intriguing discussion, perhaps it will change, perhaps not. Sometimes problems turn out to be non-problems.

▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
darkslash

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 01:11:16 PM

some big names on twitter supporting cryptonite, lets leave this name shit in the dust and get progress on a new logo and design.
Nicknha

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 01:41:29 PM

WTB up to 2,000,000 at 750 satoshi. PM.

15btc, such a buy Grin
3months18w

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 02:40:40 PM

Be focus on development rather than changing the name !
Such as an explorer first , then any other things.

zflan

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:39:19 PM

Be focus on development rather than changing the name !
Such as an explorer first , then any other things.

yep!!!
Pages: « 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 [108] 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... 186 »
  Print  

Jump to: