Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:04:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.2 FEE!!!! ? am i missing something?  (Read 12001 times)
BTCewdquestion (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:20:59 PM

This is a really unfortunate mistake... They should have sanity checks for such things in the client OP was using....

No shit!! Which I why I wonder if block chain could be the liable one here, on top of it making them look bad if they do nothing. Any ideas

BLOCK-FUCKING-CHAIN.INFO

blockchain.info

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ensurance982

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

Trust me!

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:24:37 PM

Wow, how did you manage to do that...yep it seems that you have lost these coins.

I really think wallet providers should embed some security measures that warn the sender if he/she pays a fee that is literally multiple orders of magnitude higher than the actual amount that's being transmitted. Apart from that I can't wrap my head around how people keep on paying transaction fees that high by accident!

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Lohoris

Activity: 630

Bitgoblin

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:26:06 PM

This is a really unfortunate mistake... They should have sanity checks for such things in the client OP was using....
First you need to select "custom send" instead of the default, then you have to add a fee, write that fee, you end up in the review screen which you can check, and only then you click "ok send".

Sure, they could add an additional warning "wtf incredible fee are you sure", but there already are many places were you can review this, and you have to fail all of them.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
infested999

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:29:41 PM

First you need to select "custom send" instead of the default, then you have to add a fee, write that fee, you end up in the review screen which you can check, and only then you click "ok send".

Sure, they could add an additional warning "wtf incredible fee are you sure", but there already are many places were you can review this, and you have to fail all of them.

Skimming over a review screen you would probably read this:

Total: 0.2001

So you think it looks good, but you don't notice that the transaction and the fee is switched. I didn't even catch on right away when I looked at the screenshot on page 1. This is what made it so dangerous. While there are multiple review screens, they do nothing if you have to look at them every single time for every transaction because you start to ignore them over time.

▄███▄   ▄███▄
              █████   █████
      ▄███▄    ▀▀▀     ▀▀▀    ▄███▄
      █████     ▄██▄ ▄██▄     █████
       ▀▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀██▀ ▀██▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▀
 ▄███▄     ▀██▀           ▀██▀     ▄███▄
 █████ ▄██▄                   ▄██▄ █████
  ▀▀▀  ▀██▀                   ▀██▀  ▀▀▀
                       ▄█
▄███▄ ▄██▄            ███ ███  ▄██▄ ▄███▄
█████ ▀██▀  ████      █████    ▀██▀ █████
 ▀▀▀         ▀███▄    ████           ▀▀▀
       ▄██▄    ████   ███     ▄██▄
 ▄███▄ ▀██▀     ▀███  ███     ▀██▀ ▄███▄
 █████            ███▄██           █████
  ▀▀▀              ▀████            ▀▀▀
                     ███
                     ███
                     ██
                   ███

████    ██
  ████    ██
    ████    ██
      ████    ██
        ████    ██
          ████    ██
          ████    ██
        ████    ██
      ████    ██
    ████    ██
  ████    ██
████    ██

White Paper
Yellow Paper
Pitch Deck
Telegram
LinkedIn
Twitter
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:31:58 PM

Wow, how did you manage to do that...yep it seems that you have lost these coins.

I really think wallet providers should embed some security measures that warn the sender if he/she pays a fee that is literally multiple orders of magnitude higher than the actual amount that's being transmitted. Apart from that I can't wrap my head around how people keep on paying transaction fees that high by accident!

I agree, even with great care I could absolutely see how this mistake could be made. If the fee is higher than the transaction or over say 10 or even 100 times the recommended amount there should be a very strong warning: WARNING: You have chosen a very high transaction fee, please review your transaction carefully: Fee 0.2BTC

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
DannyElfman

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:32:02 PM

No shit!! Which I why I wonder if block chain could be the liable one here, on top of it making them look bad if they do nothing. Any ideas

BLOCK-FUCKING-CHAIN.INFO

blockchain.info

Blockchain is doing a sanity check! They have a big POPUP window propting you to confirm your transaction.

Many clients don't do that!

This spot for rent.
DubFX

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:32:57 PM

I agree, even with great care I could absolutely see how this mistake could be made. If the fee is higher than the transaction or over say 10 or even 100 times the recommended amount there should be a very strong warning: WARNING: You have chosen a very high transaction fee, please review your transaction carefully: Fee 0.2BTC
This is actually gread idea and someone should e-mail it to blockchain.info ASAP!
ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:33:16 PM

I'd also be in favour of such sanity checks. I mean it's better for the customer/end user. You'd simply have to check if the fee is larger than the amount you intend to transfer or larger than 10x the suggested fee. But you are right, I guess many people just tend to click  on 'accept' and 'OK', that's also the reason why malware is going so strong.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:34:14 PM

Skimming over a review screen you would probably read this:

Total: 0.2001

So you think it looks good, but you don't notice that the transaction and the fee is switched. I didn't even catch on right away when I looked at the screenshot on page 1. This is what made it so dangerous. While there are multiple review screens, they do nothing if you have to look at them every single time for every transaction because you start to ignore them over time.
Ok this is a very good point, if you assume you switched the amount you want to send with the fee.
However you also have to not notice the fiat-currency conversion in the sending screen.

DannyElfman

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:34:43 PM

I'd also be in favour of such sanity checks. I mean it's better for the customer/end user. You'd simply have to check if the fee is larger than the amount you intend to transfer or larger than 10x the suggested fee. But you are right, I guess many people just tend to click  on 'accept' and 'OK', that's also the reason why malware is going so strong.

Sanity checks are nice, but I didn't know OP had this problem at BCI. They indeed have a custom send feature where you really need to fuck up to make a mistake. Even a confrimation popup is in place!

This spot for rent.
Koko

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:38:16 PM

Wow, how does something like this even happen?
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:41:11 PM

apparently OP went to "custom send" (the advanced part of the sending on BCI) and then put in the fee in the field where the amount goes in and vice versa. Then he confirmed the popup once again warning him.

This spot for rent.
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 06:43:24 PM

Ok, three issues for OP:

1. Don't use webwallets. I understand you don't really know how to use IT (don't know about imgur 5 years after it's been massively used all over the internet (not like other old farts that still recommend imageshit)). Don't use webwallets and then complain they are badly coded (besides bad security practices). And apparently badly coded math!

2. You spent these outputs:
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61509867/7 (2014-08-02 21:27:35)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61566827/1 (2014-08-03 21:58:53)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61630297/0 (2014-08-04 21:24:06)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61635831/0 (2014-08-04 23:05:35)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61643245/4 (2014-08-05 01:22:15) -- SPAM dust warning
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61708500/0 (2014-08-05 22:03:45)

You did not wait long enough before resending these outputs and as such the estimated fees were higher so the transaction is faster. One transaction was a single satoshi. WHY?! Why do you have spam dust in your wallet? Why are you touching fresh dust? This again will scare some bitcoin clients into estimating higher fees. Don't include these spam transactions or you will pay more than without them, it's not worth it, make sure your wallet can control which coins are spent.

3. You actually wanted to send 0.0001 BTC, which is a dust output and will attract fees. Your whole transaction has all the possible signs of high fee requirements. Is this actually the fee you wanted to send, or did the system messed up?
Lohoris

Bitgoblin

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:07:06 PM

1. Don't use webwallets. I understand you don't really know how to use IT (don't know about imgur 5 years after it's been massively used all over the internet (not like other old farts that still recommend imageshit)). Don't use webwallets and then complain they are badly coded (besides bad security practices). And apparently badly coded math!
What does this have to do with his problem?
It's totally completely unrelated.

BTCewdquestion (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:10:08 PM

^ thank you. Does block chain have the resources to reimburse me.

As far as I know… this is not my fault and 110% block chain fault.
BTCewdquestion (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:12:29 PM

Ok, three issues for OP:

2. You spent these outputs:
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61509867/7 (2014-08-02 21:27:35)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61566827/1 (2014-08-03 21:58:53)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61630297/0 (2014-08-04 21:24:06)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61635831/0 (2014-08-04 23:05:35)
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61643245/4 (2014-08-05 01:22:15) -- SPAM dust warning
https://blockchain.info/tx-index/61708500/0 (2014-08-05 22:03:45)

You did not wait long enough before resending these outputs and as such the estimated fees were higher so the transaction is faster. One transaction was a single satoshi. WHY?! Why do you have spam dust in your wallet? Why are you touching fresh dust? This again will scare some bitcoin clients into estimating higher fees. Don't include these spam transactions or you will pay more than without them, it's not worth it, make sure your wallet can control which coins are spent.

3. You actually wanted to send 0.0001 BTC, which is a dust output and will attract fees. Your whole transaction has all the possible signs of high fee requirements. Is this actually the fee you wanted to send, or did the system messed up?

If this is what is required to properly use bitcoin, I'd recommend selling all bitcoins you own cause this experiment is going no where fast..
g
I am a smarter individual but far from a computer whiz, and this is beyond me. Now sell this to the masses. Good luck… oh and wish me luck Wink
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2014, 07:12:48 PM

What does this have to do with his problem?
It's totally completely unrelated.

Plus blockchain.info is not a web wallet it is a hybrid wallet.  It is a safe form of web based wallet.  Do not lump it in with shit like inputs.io or other web wallets.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Koko

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:13:11 PM

apparently OP went to "custom send" (the advanced part of the sending on BCI) and then put in the fee in the field where the amount goes in and vice versa. Then he confirmed the popup once again warning him.

Brutal. Hopefully he'll somehow get his BTC back, but I doubt it...
DannyElfman

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:13:58 PM

^ thank you. Does block chain have the resources to reimburse me.

As far as I know… this is not my fault and 110% block chain fault.

Tell me again how this is Blockchain.infos fault?

You did confuse the "amount" field with the "fee" field and then CONFIRMED the popup.

so?....

This spot for rent.
BTCewdquestion (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2014, 07:14:29 PM

is there any way to contact block chain
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: