Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:28:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Blowing the lid off the CryptoNote/Bytecoin scam (with the exception of Monero)  (Read 132816 times)
nachoig

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 05:39:09 AM

Yes, other forks would exist, but Bytecoin would be the strongest coin, also the emission is 2x faster than Monero, and ppl complain about Monero being too fast (it isn't).

Yesterday I discussed about this at BCN thread...

Anyway I'm curious to see what the future deserves to this coin.

With the current price (9 satoshi) and the current coin generation (48818.11), the rewards per block in BTC is just BTC0.00439363 per block, or around BTC0.02196815 each 10 minutes. Hashrate is around 1,6 million.

I don't understand much about mining, but how this can be sustainable against attacks on the network (also you have to consider this is not just about Bytecoin, but every CryptoNight coin with merged mining with BCN)? Just to compare, Monero hashrate is now about 16 million (10 times more) and generates around BTC 0.37 in mining rewards each 10 minutes (10.7868 XMR per block at 0.00340335 BTC per XMR, or 15 times more).

This is indeed one of the practical problems with premined/instamined/fastmined coins. The mining rewards drop too fast (or just start out small) relative to adoption and then it isn't secure.

Personally, I think the formula used in Bytecoin and Monero is better than the abruptly halving schemes. Unfortunately, the choiced value in Bytecoin is bad and combined with the premine will be fatal*.

In the case of Monero, if you compare against Bitcoin, it's somewhat fast. If the current developers launched this coin, probably they would put a more slower emission. There were some proposals about cutting the emission some months ago (but fortunately none of them passed).

*The fast emission is not a Bytecoin-specific issue. Other cryptocurrencies, like Dogecoin, ixcoin and i0coin suffered from the same problem and switched to merged mining with Litecoin and Bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 08:43:50 AM

I am for anonymous digital cash for the reason that it allows ordinary people the same privileges and advantages as the elites and Billionaires.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Please explain what privileges elites and Billionaires have that anonymous electronic cash can give to ordinary people.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 08:45:29 AM

I am for anonymous digital cash for the reason that it allows ordinary people the same privileges and advantages as the elites and Billionaires.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Please explain what privileges elites and Billionaires have that anonymous electronic cash can give to ordinary people.

I bet he's thinking "tax evasion" :-P

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 08:47:24 AM

My neighbor's gardener was paid in cash. I don't think he paid taxes and he was not an elite or Billionaire.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 08:50:03 AM

My neighbor's gardener was paid in cash. I don't think he paid taxes and he was not an elite or Billionaire.

Same here - the "vast amount of unbanked individuals in South Africa" that everyone thinks they're going to reach with their iPhone digital wallet app actually want to stay unbanked, because cash-in-cash-out works for them, and they don't have to worry about taxes (the cost of enforcement being significantly higher than the small amount they would pay in tax).

dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 04:09:39 PM

Bytecoin could be the "bitcoin" of cryptonotes, however, it has serious premining issue.
What would that even mean? Besides this question, the number of people associating the label "bitcoin" with something positive is reducing, in the objective crypto currency scene.

CN needs no "bitcoin"-like coin/project.
nachoig

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 06:49:27 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2015, 07:06:52 PM by nachoig

Cross-posting because of two other CryptoNote coins claiming to be in existence before Bytecoin public appearance.

I like cryptoNote coins, and i am a little confused because there are users saying that bytecoin did not existed before 2014 and the blockchain was faked, if so, how is it possible that exist forks before 2014?

Probably the existence of these coins (Paladincoin and Buddhacoin) are fake too. Maybe someone is creating these websites just to try to bring legimacy about the story behind the existence of Bytecoin since 2012.

I can't find information about Palladincoin because it's a .onion website and I don't have the Tor Browser and there's nothing at Google, but the case of Buddhacoin the website is here (I discovered through Map of Coins, how they discovered it, as well Paladincoin is a mystery): http://buddhacoin.pixub.com/

The lack of the source code in the download page (only binaries) and the way the news are posted are a red flag. BTW, there is another link from CryptoNote forum about Buddhacoin.
https://forum.cryptonote.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=582

Edit: if someone uses Tor and is interested to try to discover something about Paladincoin: http://xxvxqnbatbidn4tq.onion/
Nxtblg
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2015, 07:01:05 PM

Same here - the "vast amount of unbanked individuals in South Africa" that everyone thinks they're going to reach with their iPhone digital wallet app actually want to stay unbanked, because cash-in-cash-out works for them, and they don't have to worry about taxes (the cost of enforcement being significantly higher than the small amount they would pay in tax).

There's also another, longer-term and somewhat vague use case. Has anyone here read Hernando de Soto's The Other Path?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

Este Nuno
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

amarha

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 08:03:28 PM

Paladincoin and Buddhacoin

Absolute bullshit. No way these existed in 2013.
bytemuma

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 08:42:25 PM

Can someone faked dates in a forum?

███
                              █████
           ██           █████████              ██
       █████         
█████████         ██████
     ████████         
█████         █████████
         ████████       
███       █████████
            ████████              █████████
               █████       ███       █████

███       ██       █████       ██       ███
    █████            █████████            █████
█████████    █████████████    █████████
█████████    █████████████    █████████     
    █████            █████████            █████
      ███        ██      █████      ██      ███
               █████      ███       █████
            ████████              █████████
         ████████       
███       █████████
     ████████         
█████        █████████
       █████         
█████████        ██████
           ██           
█████████           ██
                              █████
                                ███

Adonx.one

◆ Twitter
◆ Telegram
◆ Discord

nachoig

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 09:35:07 PM

Of course. They fake dates in white papers and in a block chain, faking dates in a forum should be even more easier to them.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 12, 2015, 09:52:24 PM

It's unclear (and unlikely) the forum itself even existed in 2013.

I expect "someone" (new account, bought account, etc.) to show up soon with an "Hey, I took a look at" analysis of the java bytecode and telling us how it uses old versions of Java, libraries, etc. and somehow this proves that it is actually old. It doesn't.

Complete fabrication imo.

pa

Activity: 528
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:25:25 AM

It's amazing that they persist in investing so much time, energy, and money in these elaborate scams. Why not just buy Monero?  Undecided
nachoig

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 12:57:01 AM
Last edit: April 13, 2015, 01:28:04 AM by nachoig

It's amazing that they persist in investing so much time, energy, and money in these elaborate scams. Why not just buy Monero?  Undecided

Because scammers don't admit they are scamming.

BTW, it's interesting to see the way they write about the launch dates (from the announce topics):

Fantom coin was launched 5/6/2014 17:45 GMT

Dashcoin (DSH) is a cryptocurrency started on July 5, 2014.

DarkNote (XDN) was launched as the duckNote cryptocurrency on May 30,

Moneta Verde:
Launched June 17, 2014

Bytecoin (BCN) is a cryptocurrency started on July 4, 2012. Bytecoin is not a fork Bitcoin and uses the unique algorithm CryptoNight.
CRYPTONOTE FOUNDATION
OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED ON JULY 4TH, 2014
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 01:18:29 AM

they've just blocked Internet Archive from crawling bytecoin.org, this means any archive it had is not accessible anymore: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://bytecoin.org

They probably did that to reduce load on their web server /s
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 02:03:33 AM

Bytecoin.org robots.txt
Code:
User-agent: *
Allow: /
Disallow: /old/music.mp3
Disallow: /old/music.ogg
Disallow: /404/
User-agent: ia_archiver
Disallow: /

The incriminating User-agent: ia_archiver. This file can speak for itself

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 07:22:11 AM

It's very likely some people involved in the bytecoin/cryptonote scam have a reasonable stature in the crypto scene and/or in academia. I truly hope we'll one day find out who they are just to bust their reputation.

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
nachoig

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 08:38:13 PM

they've just blocked Internet Archive from crawling bytecoin.org, this means any archive it had is not accessible anymore: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://bytecoin.org

archive.today works.
Wanderlust

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 06:01:24 PM

Anonfile links in OP r broken. Cannot evidence the screenshots. Any other links?
Wanderlust

Activity: 225
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2015, 07:26:07 PM

Anonfile links in OP r broken. Cannot evidence the screenshots. Any other links?

so a bunch of cypherpunks/academics/NSA dudes create a tech which is widely recognized to be bullet-proof…
market cap a few million bucks… whatever

the tech has spawned a plethora of copies (all bad except XMR according to thread-starter) worth many millions more. And yet I am supposed to chew out the geniuses benhind CN?? I don't think so… what will XMR offer for future dev? BCN showing the way atm it seems.

KDK-12 calling smooth
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: