Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:33:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Blowing the lid off the CryptoNote/Bytecoin scam (with the exception of Monero)  (Read 132816 times)
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 25, 2014, 09:50:48 PM

Probably a good variation of Betteridge's law of headlines would be that the bigger type is used and the brighter the color the more likely a statement is to be a lie.

Rethink-Your-Strategy Whitepaper is confirmed to be fake

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=223998

Date Registered:   January 20, 2014, 08:35:18 AM

Shocker... Roll Eyes
ProGamer

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 04:27:22 AM

Trust no one ever: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/document/2014/02/24/art-deception-training-new-generation-online-covert-operations/
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 05:57:46 PM

I think it's also noteworthy (as in interesting/strange) that the author and signer of the CN whitepaper Nicolas van Saberhagen isn't part of the official CN team. As it consits of: Johannes Meier (Chief
cryptographer), Maurice Planck (Cryptographer), Max Jameson (Math expert), Brandon
Hawking (Economist), Catherine Erwin (Communications manager), Albert Werner (Core developer) and Marec Plíškov (Developer).
I can't come up with a solid reason, how that makes sense. (If Saberhagen is a group pseudonym, why not sign "Team CryptoNote" as author?)

Also https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf is gone and no giving HTTP Error 404.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 06:24:53 PM

This is all actually sort of cool from another perspective.  It makes a good story.

Nefarious origin, but good technology.

It calls to mind the reuse of Dr. X's Aircraft Carriers in Diamond Age.  That massive instrument of death and destruction crafted from the taxes extorted from the productive and then abandoned, finally carrying and supporting the vast population of orphaned Chinese girls that proceed to transform society.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 5127

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 08:48:16 PM

I think it's also noteworthy (as in interesting/strange) that the author and signer of the CN whitepaper Nicolas van Saberhagen isn't part of the official CN team. As it consits of: Johannes Meier (Chief
cryptographer), Maurice Planck (Cryptographer), Max Jameson (Math expert), Brandon
Hawking (Economist), Catherine Erwin (Communications manager), Albert Werner (Core developer) and Marec Plíškov (Developer).
I can't come up with a solid reason, how that makes sense. (If Saberhagen is a group pseudonym, why not sign "Team CryptoNote" as author?)

Also https://cryptonote.org/whitepaper.pdf is gone and no giving HTTP Error 404.

That list of names has always reminded me of Lost.

Locke, Rousseau, Faraday, etc.  Lost universe is full of philosophers and scientists.

Planck, Hawking, Wener (Heisenberg), Erwin (Schrodinger).  All theoretical physicists.

And this is just off the top of my head perhaps there are others too...

I've always assumed this was noticed by others... maybe even in the OP?
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2014, 08:56:40 PM

Locke, Rousseau, Faraday, etc.  Lost universe is full of philosophers and scientists.

Planck, Hawking, Wener (Heisenberg), Erwin (Schrodinger).  All theoretical physicists.

LOL! how couldnt i see that!

Johannes Kepler, Nicolaus Copernicus maybe...
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:17:06 PM

Obvious also: Albert Einstein.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 26, 2014, 09:24:10 PM
Last edit: August 26, 2014, 10:04:06 PM by smooth

Obvious also: Albert Einstein.

Don't you see? Their group hails from the "scientific community" as you have been told. You thought those science guys were dead, but in fact they were reincarnated by the aliens to collaborate with Satoshi Nakamoto and Cornel West on the creation of Bytecoin. It would take genius(es) of that magnitude to create such an amazing coin con.

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 04:45:32 AM

Yeah, I did some searching around for the names the other day because of this very fact. An interesting set, mostly German/Austrian.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=list+of+physicists+site%3Awikipedia.org+Johannes+Planck+Max+Hawking+Erwin+Albert+Werner
henryjames1003

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 11:56:45 AM

to OP's thread:

I want to become a Padawan one of these guys (CN/BCN/Masson team). But there are no Jedi around me. Like there is no conspiracy in CN and Butecoin. You research looks really strange.

Is it trivial envy or Monero PR?
TooDumbForBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 27, 2014, 01:37:50 PM

to OP's thread:

I want to become a Padawan one of these guys (CN/BCN/Masson team). But there are no Jedi around me. Like there is no conspiracy in CN and Butecoin. You research looks really strange.

Is it trivial envy or Monero PR?

I suggest you hang around Endor a little while longer 'til this settles down.

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
catcow

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 29, 2014, 07:29:21 AM

This blog post by an early XMR miner reveals some more information about how the Bytecoin miner was crippled: http://da-data.blogspot.com/2014/08/minting-money-with-monero-and-cpu.html
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1968

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:13:18 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2014, 11:44:27 PM by owlcatz

This blog post by an early XMR miner reveals some more information about how the Bytecoin miner was crippled: http://da-data.blogspot.com/2014/08/minting-money-with-monero-and-cpu.html

XMR devs did an amazing job un-fucking the BCN crippled miners, all points to besides the 82% premine the BCN devs had access to fasters miners and deployed slow ones to the general public on purpose, thank you XMR for saving Cyptonote.

+100

Hey does anyone here have a copy of the whitepaper from van saberhagen that both just disappeared (yesterday??)

thanks!

edit - got em via wayback, sorry! Sad

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1968

View Profile
August 30, 2014, 11:16:30 PM

this... is why i am digging deep as possible into this tech. thanks for that, i missed it, there are so many of them thanks to ES.

Edit - jesus, that's creepy as hell... yikes.... Sad 

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
chisefu

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 10:04:51 AM

tldr
psterryl

Activity: 87

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 01:47:29 PM

tldr

Wow, such insight. Thank you for that valuable contribution to this discussion.

There is actually a tl;dr in the OP btw:

tl;dr - CryptoNote developers faked dates in whitepapers. Bytecoin faked dates in fake blockchain to facilitate an 82% premine, and CryptoNote backed them up. Bytecoin, Fantomcoin, Quazarcoin, Monetaverde, Dashcoin are all from the same people and should be avoided like the fucking black plague. duckNote and Boolberry are probably from them as well, or are at least just fucking dodgy, and who the fuck cares anyway. Monero would have been fucking dodgy, but the community saved it. Make your own mind up about shit and demand that known people are involved and that there is fucking transparency. End transmission.
slb

Activity: 598
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:45:41 PM

this... is why i am digging deep as possible into this tech. thanks for that, i missed it, there are so many of them thanks to ES.

Edit - jesus, that's creepy as hell... yikes.... Sad 

Then digg more and read the comments:

Quote from: Vitalik Buterin
Any coin where the creator knew that he was providing a suboptimal miner and kept a better miner to himself without disclosing this to the community
He is obviously talking about both Bytecoin and Monero.

Forknote (create cryptocurrenies easy) - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1079306.0
Dashcoin (anonymous cryptocurrency) - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1020627.0
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
September 01, 2014, 02:48:49 PM

He's not talking about Monero or he's utterly clueless. Per dga -

Reading comprehension is hard for sockpuppets.  Something in the sock material seems to cloud their eyes.

To others reading the thread, while I'd of course encourage you to actually read what I wrote.

tl;dr:  Bytecoin was a scam, they crippled the miner, Monero inherited it when Monero was still "bitmonero", and it took a while before the Monero devs got the code fast by undoing the crap that Bytecoin had added.  During that time, I made some money.  After that time, I didn't.  That time has been over for a long time.

To their credit, the Monero devs have always been up-front that there's a lot of work to be done with respect to auditing, both in cryptography and design, and in implementation, and they've made credible progress at doing so.  One hopes that any baggage from the cryptonote/bytecoin fork has been priced in and is well understood by the community, given that the coin's been around for months and the developers have been very up front about these things and their plans for addressing those risks.

psterryl

Activity: 87

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 03:52:22 PM

Any coin where the creator knew that he was providing a suboptimal miner and kept a better miner to himself without disclosing this to the community

Thankfully the Monero team (not to be confused with the original dev that launched Bitmonero) were on the ball and released optimised miners as soon as they were able to. This was all done while the total number of coins emitted was still pretty low, so the overall impact of that early period of scammyness was minimised.
JPSelzer

Activity: 689
Merit: 14

World's First Crowd Owned Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
September 01, 2014, 07:50:19 PM

So thus you confirm Monero is scam.

It was just sold to public as honest launch. I also trusted them at first. Before very strange and useless features and lots of noise in dozens of topics.
But in fact all of that was a lie, they do not even respect the creator. No credit for TFT in any interview.

Do whatever, but you Must respect the one that gave you the opportunity. Aren't you agree?

Whom they want to trick? People don't like when they are treated poorly or stupid.
But this is current devs choice. And we should respect their way of thinking and PR. We can choose another coin, but respect everyone.

Thankfully the Monero team (not to be confused with the original dev that launched Bitmonero) were on the ball and released optimised miners as soon as they were able to. This was all done while the total number of coins emitted was still pretty low, so the overall impact of that early period of scammyness was minimised.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: