Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:47:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Syscoin- FINAL 2.0 LAUNCHED! *ENCRYPTION, MARKETPLACE, BTC INTEGRATION*  (Read 582905 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
MR1
Legendary

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:04:14 PM

Good article.

In the "Anonymous Transactions" section nothing is said about OB though. As far as I know they have integrated Tor.

I said Tor is not anon due to exit node vulnerability.

"If we look past the simplicity factor we may begin to look at ways that the blockchain approach is more secure than P2P. P2P networks which are not fully anonymized can fall victim to DDOS attacks (the classic TCP SYN ACK network flood attack). Given the fact that even TOR is not fully anonymized due to security vulnerabilities in exit nodes, I have a hard time believing that any of these projects claiming full anonymity with their P2P designs would actually stand the test of a reasonable length time on their claims."

I qualified valid features in the comparisons... things we know that won't work weren't worth mentioning especially. Will draw many people to comment on needless things. It was already 10 pages long.

But not all Tor integrated networks have exit nodes. A good example is StealthClient - StealthCoin wallet - which has integrated Tor but there are no exit nodes on the XST Tor network. 

What about OB? Does their network running through Tor have exit nodes or not?
sidhujag
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 07:22:39 PM

Good article.

In the "Anonymous Transactions" section nothing is said about OB though. As far as I know they have integrated Tor.

I said Tor is not anon due to exit node vulnerability.

"If we look past the simplicity factor we may begin to look at ways that the blockchain approach is more secure than P2P. P2P networks which are not fully anonymized can fall victim to DDOS attacks (the classic TCP SYN ACK network flood attack). Given the fact that even TOR is not fully anonymized due to security vulnerabilities in exit nodes, I have a hard time believing that any of these projects claiming full anonymity with their P2P designs would actually stand the test of a reasonable length time on their claims."

I qualified valid features in the comparisons... things we know that won't work weren't worth mentioning especially. Will draw many people to comment on needless things. It was already 10 pages long.

But not all Tor integrated networks have exit nodes. A good example is StealthClient - StealthCoin wallet - which has integrated Tor but there are no exit nodes on the XST Tor network.  

What about OB? Does their network running through Tor have exit nodes or not?

It allows you to specify the network I believe. Large number of devs all claim the same thing, so I'm not sure if stealth is actually stealth... for example HOW did they do it? Where does the node terminate if there is no exit, it just loops somehow? perpetual energy?

If the consensus on TOR changes then sure... lets consider it.. until then I won't even consider it. I personally dont think ANY tech is anon out there today. But what I think is that the problem should be outsourced from the codebase of a marketplace... to someone else, in this case using SuperNET we let a specialized anon project handle that and we use their tokens if we wish to hide our identity. This increases the chances that we achieve real anonymity.
Munti

Activity: 661
Merit: 504

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:13:41 PM

I'm confused by syscoins pegging. The way other coins like Nubits and Bitbay use the term it ensures price stability relative to a target like USD.
As I understand it from reading the article, Syscoins pegging is really just a way to tell ppl what the current price of sys is.
Am I missing something?

Correct, pegging the TOKEN value is a total different beast.. solved by bitshares via oracles (delegate feeds) and market rules of no shorting below 10% of the peg based on price feed. Nubits has a centralized market maker to ensure peg holds but without the price feeds beign intrinsic part of the core design holding the peg up.. Bitbay wants to create a "prediction market" style peg which he claims will try to hold on its own without any rules, by adjusting inflation... we know this won't work because once broken it will be race to bottom, inflation won't fix it when broken because of psychology. I had proposed this very thing in DevCoin by pegging the value of DevCoin to try to set a rate at which writers were earning per round, but we found after analysis that, that style of peg wouldn't be the most efficient market consensus of finding true value of a token, its easy for a swan event to wipe the peg out for good and project is capput.

We DO NOT want to do this, instead we simply want to allow front-ends to figure out the price of goods based on current exchange rate... however there is a notion of a hard price peg of fees (which are not tradeable) based on say USD or BTC.. because CODB will not be known ahead of time if people are paying in SYS... the world's accounting systems work on USD so we must allow people to understand costs in USD for example. This is a hard problem that we need to solve... so that fees scale(in USD or BTC) with syscoin value.

I don't see a need to peg the token (syscoin), but a price peg tool which calculates how many SYS a given item is... is all that is needed.. nice and simple.

In all fairness you should call your pegging a calculator and not pegging. Pegging is imo one of the most important features in a coin with market that targets ordinary businesses and consumers. You might do fine without it for the silkroad crowd because they don't have many alternatives. For everything else there are alternatives already that we have to compete with. Risk is one of the considerations people have to make when choosing market place. Reducing the risk and bother that the high volatility of bitcoin price and alt prices represent is a key feature in a coin. I have no problem with Syscoin not wanting to peg. But calling a calculator a pegging system? Well...
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 08:25:11 PM

I'm confused by syscoins pegging. The way other coins like Nubits and Bitbay use the term it ensures price stability relative to a target like USD.
As I understand it from reading the article, Syscoins pegging is really just a way to tell ppl what the current price of sys is.
Am I missing something?

Correct, pegging the TOKEN value is a total different beast.. solved by bitshares via oracles (delegate feeds) and market rules of no shorting below 10% of the peg based on price feed. Nubits has a centralized market maker to ensure peg holds but without the price feeds beign intrinsic part of the core design holding the peg up.. Bitbay wants to create a "prediction market" style peg which he claims will try to hold on its own without any rules, by adjusting inflation... we know this won't work because once broken it will be race to bottom, inflation won't fix it when broken because of psychology. I had proposed this very thing in DevCoin by pegging the value of DevCoin to try to set a rate at which writers were earning per round, but we found after analysis that, that style of peg wouldn't be the most efficient market consensus of finding true value of a token, its easy for a swan event to wipe the peg out for good and project is capput.

We DO NOT want to do this, instead we simply want to allow front-ends to figure out the price of goods based on current exchange rate... however there is a notion of a hard price peg of fees (which are not tradeable) based on say USD or BTC.. because CODB will not be known ahead of time if people are paying in SYS... the world's accounting systems work on USD so we must allow people to understand costs in USD for example. This is a hard problem that we need to solve... so that fees scale(in USD or BTC) with syscoin value.

I don't see a need to peg the token (syscoin), but a price peg tool which calculates how many SYS a given item is... is all that is needed.. nice and simple.

In all fairness you should call your pegging a calculator and not pegging. Pegging is imo one of the most important features in a coin with market that targets ordinary businesses and consumers. You might do fine without it for the silkroad crowd because they don't have many alternatives. For everything else there are alternatives already that we have to compete with. Risk is one of the considerations people have to make when choosing market place. Reducing the risk and bother that the high volatility of bitcoin price and alt prices represent is a key feature in a coin. I have no problem with Syscoin not wanting to peg. But calling a calculator a pegging system? Well...

There is no risk if they wish to use USD/GBP/EUR to accept payments yet still use syscoin for marketplace features. If you want to use Sys/BTC totally up to you.. if you use sys the volatility is an issue but you also get to track payments and more features as an incentive... if you really want to trade USD on the blockchain you can accept the bitshares payment gateway and accept bitUSD for example... these shouldnt be part of the core.. that is why we have solved the problem by simply rearranging thoughts and process flows to better align how the world works.

But right in an apples to apples comparison.. its not the same pegging, but it is a pegging TOOL. I do talk about that anyway so people understand how its different.

What I can say is that no marketplace has even remotely gotten the peg like you mention to work correctly so its a moot point since if you really want that type of pegging you don't have any marketplace to use.
stormia

Activity: 868

View Profile
May 05, 2015, 10:10:16 PM

Very nicely written, Sidhujag. Makes it really clear the advantages Syscoin's Blockmarket has compared to the competition.
ethought
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:16:05 AM

Has the block chain stalled?

Last block (369857) appears to be 9 hours ago  Shocked
danosphere (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1001

Syscoin- Changing the way people do business.

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2015, 02:42:29 AM
Last edit: May 06, 2015, 02:55:14 AM by danosphere

Last block (369857) appears to be 9 hours ago  Shocked

Yes it has, things should be moving in about 2hrs this is a large scale KGW calculation issue were actively investigating and tracking with the help of the community via our slack.

This issue is of utmost priority to us but lies in the KGW algo when these condition present themselves (from what we know this far).

Look a new (3rd party) Block Explorer: http://www.blocktree.io/e/SYS

.. Nice graphs!

Syscoin: Business on the Blockchain. - Buy and sell goods and services, send encrypted messages and more all secured by the blockchain.
Syscoin Website | Syscoin Whitepaper | Syscoin Team Price Peg
ethought
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:50:14 AM

Last block (369857) appears to be 9 hours ago  Shocked

Yes it has, things should be moving in about 2hrs this is a large scale KGW calculation issue were actively investigating and tracking with the help of the community via our slack.

This issue is of utmost priority to us but lies in the KGW algo when these condition present themselves (from what we know this far).

Okay, thanks.

I have seen similar behaviour with several other coins using KGW also.
ethought
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:54:13 AM

Syscoin has been added to blocktree.io block explorer

http://www.blocktree.io/e/SYS

Rich List: http://www.blocktree.io/richlist/SYS

Bavaria

Activity: 1032
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:26:24 PM

When I`m offline and someone buys my listed product, how will I know that? Or if someone sends me PM?

Will I receive an alert on my email from Blockmarkets?
healthhealer4

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 04:22:14 AM

Am I missing something?

There is no risk if they wish to use USD/GBP/EUR to accept payments yet still use syscoin for marketplace features. If you want to use Sys/BTC totally up to you.. if you use sys the volatility is an issue but you also get to track payments and more features as an incentive... if you really want to trade USD on the blockchain you can accept the bitshares payment gateway and accept bitUSD for example... these shouldnt be part of the core.. that is why we have solved the problem by simply rearranging thoughts and process flows to better align how the world works.

But right in an apples to apples comparison.. its not the same pegging, but it is a pegging TOOL. I do talk about that anyway so people understand how its different.

What I can say is that no marketplace has even remotely gotten the peg like you mention to work correctly so its a moot point since if you really want that type of pegging you don't have any marketplace to use.

In your blog post your not comparing your propping syscoin plus your not reporting your just repeating. Your blog title is misleading.

sebastien1234

Activity: 654
Merit: 252

PR Director@Blockchain Foundry/Co-Founder@Syscoin

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2015, 05:08:07 AM

Am I missing something?

In your blog post your not comparing your propping syscoin plus your not reporting your just repeating. Your blog title is misleading.

I understand that it's a long blog post but to state a claim like that without reading (or just trolling), just baffles my mind. There are many comparisons made throughout the document. This was written by Sidhujag, one of our core developers and of course as someone who is as dedicated to the project that he is, he certainly does think that Syscoin has many points going for it and why would he not write an article putting these facts to light? For those who may believe what healthhealer4 wrote, please refer to the following sections of the blog post:

BREAKDOWN OF CATEGORIES (P2P VS BLOCKCHAIN), SOME PROS AND CONS
OVERALL P2P DESIGN VS BLOCKCHAIN DESIGN AND SECURITY CONCERNS
COMPARISON OF MARKETPLACE TECHNOLOGIES IN THE CRYPTO-CURRENCY COMMUNITY

Nothing of the title is misleading, sidhujag did indeed compare Syscoin's marketplace to others.

In no way, shape or form did Sidhujag claim to be a reporter, I have no idea what you are talking about talking about "repeating".

Honestly, I'm going to have call this out. Now although we have respect for real projects like Bitbay, I see that the bulk of your posts come from there, considering this, I understand that you feel that Syscoin is a threat. We have no qualms with David Zimbeck and I personally have respect for the guy. We are a very open community and would not go to yours accusing you of such and such. Your comment is blatantly accusatory and abusive and has absolutely no foundation. We appreciate any type of constructive criticism but that does not include defamation.

mario012

Activity: 117

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 06:56:27 AM

Am I missing something?

Come on bro read the blog don't be naive or ignorant. IT CLEARLY SHOWS THE PROS AND CONS OF THE DECENTRALIZED MARKET PLACES. If you can't see why Syscoin is better and has the edge, then you're being biased, naive, ignorant or a mixture of the three. Frankly P2P is not the way to go. A DECENTRALIZED MARKET PLACE IN THE BLOCK CHAIN IS. SYSCOIN IS THE ANSWER.
healthhealer4

Activity: 100

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:40:47 AM
Last edit: May 09, 2015, 02:58:27 AM by healthhealer4

Am I missing something?

I understand that it's a long blog post but to state a claim like that without reading (or just trolling), just baffles my mind. There are many comparisons made throughout the document. This was written by Sidhujag, one of our core developers and of course as someone who is as dedicated to the project that he is, he certainly does think that Syscoin has many points going for it and why would he not write an article putting these facts to light? For those who may believe what healthhealer4 wrote, please refer to the following sections of the blog post:

BREAKDOWN OF CATEGORIES (P2P VS BLOCKCHAIN), SOME PROS AND CONS
OVERALL P2P DESIGN VS BLOCKCHAIN DESIGN AND SECURITY CONCERNS
COMPARISON OF MARKETPLACE TECHNOLOGIES IN THE CRYPTO-CURRENCY COMMUNITY

Nothing of the title is misleading, sidhujag did indeed compare Syscoin's marketplace to others.

In no way, shape or form did Sidhujag claim to be a reporter, I have no idea what you are talking about talking about "repeating".

Honestly, I'm going to have call this out. Now although we have respect for real projects like Bitbay, I see that the bulk of your posts come from there, considering this, I understand that you feel that Syscoin is a threat. We have no qualms with David Zimbeck and I personally have respect for the guy. We are a very open community and would not go to yours accusing you of such and such. Your comment is blatantly accusatory and abusive and has absolutely no foundation. We appreciate any type of constructive criticism but that does not include defamation.

im not trolling i have respect for syscoin i never stated anything bad in my post . But how can you put in the "Comparison of Marketplace Technologies in the Crypto-currency Community" that is at the bottom of the blog that syscoin is pegged when it is not pegged as is in nubits or bitusd that is what the crypto world  define as pegging.Plus the part about the Anonymous Transactions is selected yes so why is not openbazaar not also selected as yes, sidhujag stated it's because they run on tor, which has a man in the middle attack but syscoin is going through supernet which i myself have try this system by sending mgwBTC which is a third party out of nxt decentralized system there could be risk there just like tor.  Seeing that sidhujag has a conflict of interest to being neural to writing a blog about this subject, just like me i wouldn't be a good candidate to writing this blog because i own both syscoin and bitbay
dasource

Activity: 821

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 08:44:29 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2015, 08:58:57 AM by dasource

I only skipped through it but clearly the writer has very limited experience on many subjects around P2P... If that is the quality of developers Sys is hiring good luck.  
EDIT : Much of the info re: Shadow and its ShadowMarket is incorrect.
EDIT2: Blockchain is NOT the always the answer!

^ I am with STUPID!
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 10:05:32 AM

I only skipped through it but clearly the writer has very limited experience on many subjects around P2P... If that is the quality of developers Sys is hiring good luck.  
You seem to have much experience with P2P, why don't you elaborate on the matters that concern you?
Pmalek
Legendary

Activity: 2800
Merit: 7208

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 10:44:00 AM

Interesting... Please elaborate

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
dasource

Activity: 821

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 11:06:36 AM
Last edit: May 07, 2015, 11:49:47 AM by dasource

Interesting... Please elaborate

Firstly, this is my last post on this thread; I have no interest in posting in threads of other cryptocurrencies. I did so because the article was bought to my attention and was hosted on the syscoin website. You are more than welcome to open a new thread somewhere appropriate.

Now that is out of the way, the article in question is 1. full of mistakes and 2. based on assumptions with little knowledge (and we all know what they say, "assumptions are the mother of all ....")
I am going to list a few as I really do not have the time to waste on such a poorly written article.

... from ShadowMarket point of view:

"P2P marketplace built on top of BitMessage. Similar to OpenBazaar but with anonymity in mind" - False
"Must be online to serve your store" - False
"Must use built in software and ui, cannot use plugins or extend to arbitrary front-ends" - False
"Short window of time before you must update your listing to ensure it stays up" - False
"Offers only alive while node is up unless you assign trust via 24/7 nodes used to host auctions or offers while seller is not online, like a backup but costs a fee." - False
"Alot of settings and complexity in setting up, using and maintaining." - False
"ShadowCoin’s marketplace plans to offer anonymous transactions leveraging Darkcoin’s (now DASH) darksend feature" - False, this is too funny. Shadow is one of probably 2 or 3 (third is questionable) cryptocurrencies to have cryptographically secured anonymous transactions ... If the writer had the ability to review the source code he would understand this.
"P2P networks which are not fully anonymized can fall victim to DDOS attacks (the classic TCP SYN ACK network flood attack) blah blah blah" - Again false, he/she fails to understand that bitcoin protocol runs on a P2P network so these vectors are valid for it also.
That was not even half way down the article... You get the point..

Anyways pretty much everything writen about Shadow is wrong in his article and much of the other stuff is just fluff.

^ I am with STUPID!
MR1
Legendary

Activity: 927

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 01:39:09 PM

I think it`s a good idea to open a new thread somewhere on this forum where the representatives of all decentralized markets will have the possibility to express their views. Otherwise, every dev brags in his thread that his product is the best. 
sidhujag
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2015, 03:27:40 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2015, 07:04:48 PM by sidhujag

From looking at github of sdc what I saw was cloning and renaming of cinnicoin and blackcoin and then a few anon features on top with a big EM commit. Judging by the quality of commits I put the project in the early prototype stage perhaps skipping design phase. Since there is no code to look at for markets and very little information on how it works other than it uses bitmessage I made the valid assumption that it is openbazaar clone with an attempt at anon and an html5 template as a frontend.

Perhaps instead of one word answers you can elaborate on more information about how it is more than just bitmessage since that is the base for all of your communications in sdc. At this point sdc market is irrelavent due to no code to fallback on perhaps you should put more information up on how it will work, and perhaps I should remove it from my comparison list because at this point it's not really a competitor in the marketplace sphere.

I'm sorry you disn't try to read the entire post.. Biggest nuggets were near end. Anyways your comment about blockchain ddos is invalid if you understand how openbazaar works and the fact that some features are not trustless... Because in the p2p marketplace design you will have to delegate to a non trustless design to be able to have offers always up for example you will have the ddos attack more of a possibility than a trustless system that allows all these features on the blockchain without sacrificing identity of user.

Edit: Thinking about p2p implementation some more, since the P2P design doesn't store offers anywhere but in memory of each and every client which is why there is say a 2-4 day limit of transactions before they are removed forever... I see a horrible scaling problem in bandwidth needed to be able to relay transactions simply just to "keep-alive" current offers. Say there are a million offers currently listed across the globe on a p2p marketplace, every client will need to relay a message saying that all 1 million still exist every x number of days, as the number increases more and more bandwidth is needed to relay the transaction. It becomes an exponential problem to what is a linear demand for bandwidth in the blockchain. In the blockchain approach once it's sent once, its stored in the DB so doesn't have to send again. The people claiming bloat is an issue is simply because of the bandwidth needed to sync up to the network, however this is minuscule compared to the demand of bandwidth needed to maintain a p2p marketplace by relaying keep-alive messages for every offer still online every x days. Bitbay dev has a plan to counter this by creating subset markets on different ports so people can connect to the one they want to look at, and each subset network is responsible for relaying messages within itself. I don't know of the implications of that approach yet without studying some code or implementation.

So in reality bandwidth is a BIGGER issue in p2p than in blockchain. The fact that SDC dev claims that I don't understand that the blockchain approach IS P2P shows his lack of understanding of the underlying technologies of his own project. Expected from a copy and paste clone.

I've actually updated the blog to talk about the bandwidth requirement differences in the section "Bandwidth considerations of P2P vs blockchain marketplace"

I also took out the darksend stuff, probably was wrong information that someone had about shadow coins anon tx.. but I rewrote that part as: " ShadowCoin’s marketplace plans to offer anonymous transactions via encrypted messaging and stealth addressing, I would say it is the leader in anon innovation of all competitors at this point."
Pages: « 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 »
  Print  

Jump to: