Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:53:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Continue Anniversary Giveaway in spite of delays?
yes - 33 (76.7%)
no - 10 (23.3%)
Total Voters: 43

Pages: « 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 »
  Print  
Author Topic: ANN: [OPAL] | POS | Secure Messaging |NO ICO  (Read 383370 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (1 post by 1+ user deleted.)
Voidlord

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 21, 2015, 01:18:04 AM

Opal Embassy - Workshop, Exchange & Tartines !

E=(ɔ)mc²
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
batesresearch
Legendary

Activity: 2424
Merit: 1147

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2015, 06:59:48 PM

OPAL will be one of our launch coins on our new giveaway site, see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1025843 for more information. Our donation address for OPAL will be ocuLQZ4zbdkVhf2Axhv1mhNKyEFwx6rDdX

Thank you batesresearch,

i will donate !

Thanks. I will keep you posted

Visit Satoshi's Place, a Bitcoin Hub based in Bury, Manchester, UK.
Goals: Educate & Onboard users in to Bitcoin. Lightning network⚡️
Voidlord

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 12:06:27 AM

OPAL will be one of our launch coins on our new giveaway site, see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1025843 for more information. Our donation address for OPAL will be ocuLQZ4zbdkVhf2Axhv1mhNKyEFwx6rDdX

Thank you batesresearch,

i will donate !

Thanks. I will keep you posted

You are welcome, let the opal spread !

E=(ɔ)mc²
toldy

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 01:18:58 AM

I don't get the motive behind this from the person holding the faucet site for multiple currencies.

The only think I can figure out, is that people donate coins to the site.

It legitimately hands out coins. But at the same time, it skims coins on a regular basis to it's own internal wallets "off site", changing the wallet address often, or simply posting false "coins remaining" balances.  A true money maker for person getting devs to support the site by advertising it and donating coins to it, and getting them to link to it.

If that's wrong, then what is the motive? "I'm just a good guy, trust me?"

New venture: Your data in an real underground bunker. Interesting. http://tinyurl.com/msm8t3u
mario012

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 05:27:41 AM

Guys I'm a noon and I'm scared to download wallets because of previous experiences. But I want to start staking my coins. I have a windows laptop. Which wallet do I download? There are so many
Voidlord

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:01:03 AM

Guys I'm a noon and I'm scared to download wallets because of previous experiences. But I want to start staking my coins. I have a windows laptop. Which wallet do I download? There are so many

Hi Mario012,

If you are running Windows 8: choose Windows Basic Wallet.
otherwise choose Windows with opaque technology.

E=(ɔ)mc²
Voidlord

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 07:34:26 AM

Hashing Power Giveaway

https://twitter.com/AltNuts/status/590661264222904321
AltNuts@AltNuts

Hashing Giveaway @ http://altnuts.com! Reply with #altnuts and your $OPAL address to enter! 1TH for 3 hours !

E=(ɔ)mc²
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 08:27:30 AM

I don't get the motive behind this from the person holding the faucet site for multiple currencies.

The only think I can figure out, is that people donate coins to the site.

It legitimately hands out coins. But at the same time, it skims coins on a regular basis to it's own internal wallets "off site", changing the wallet address often, or simply posting false "coins remaining" balances.  A true money maker for person getting devs to support the site by advertising it and donating coins to it, and getting them to link to it.

If that's wrong, then what is the motive? "I'm just a good guy, trust me?"

It's up to people who want to donate, we don't say to developers you need to donate to keep the giveaway site going. I operate other services where people pay for services in crypto so I will be using them funds as a fall back.

Our developer is actually making a ledger of all claims and donations so in fact you can see what has come in and gone out. Not that we need to answer to anyone but if people said they would like to look we 'could' give them access.

It's amazing how people are always on the offensive. The giveaway site was actually a idea I had of a way a group of people I visit locally could easily get hold of some crypto without using exchanges, trading etc.

toldy

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 11:28:50 AM
Last edit: April 22, 2015, 11:40:41 AM by toldy

It's amazing how people are always on the offensive.

Crypto needs this..  It's the only thing that's going to slow down the scams.

I encourage people to be sceptical at all times.  That's one of the reasons I've chosen Opal to invest in, I know where the developers minds are at from their past performance.

Perhaps if people were more sceptical with Mt.Gox, or LTCGear, those things wouldn't have happened so easily.  If someone questioned either of those, would you have said "It's amazing how people are always on the offensive"?

You don't want to be sceptical after it's too late. At the very beginning of something is the best time.

Your system is new.

Our developer is actually making a ledger of all claims and donations so in fact you can see what has come in and gone out

How can you prove that any of the claims are not any of your own wallet addresses?  

If you have an automated system where people donate and load wallets
If you have an automated system where people can claim coins
If you have an automated system where it "logs" transactions

You're telling me that you also are incapable of:

Having an automated system where it skims coins on a regular basis from itself, using different wallet addresses? Of course you could.

It's like give me all the "money", I'll be in charge of all the distribution and all of the recording of transactions.  I'll run the whole system, you just keep feeding it.

Very suspicious, sorry.

Right now your faucet system is small. But if it ever grows in scale, this can be an undisputed problem.

If there is an Opal faucet, I'd rather see it running on the official Opal website by an Opal developer who is already trusted by the Opal team.

The giveaway site was actually a idea I had of a way a group of people I visit locally could easily get hold of some crypto without using exchanges, trading etc.

Ok, so that makes sense.  Instead of skimming, it was something similar, but not quite so evil.

You wanted to setup a donation site so people you visit locally (family and friends I assume, near your geographic location), could get a hold of some crypto without buying any.

(using your own words basically)

It would be better to just buy $50 or $100 worth and donate them to your family and friends or whatever "local" group of people you are talking about.

New venture: Your data in an real underground bunker. Interesting. http://tinyurl.com/msm8t3u
batesresearch
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2015, 01:31:02 PM

I encourage people to be sceptical at all times.  That's one of the reasons I've chosen Opal to invest in, I know where the developers minds are at from their past performance.

Perhaps if people were more sceptical with Mt.Gox, or LTCGear, those things wouldn't have happened so easily.  If someone questioned either of those, would you have said "It's amazing how people are always on the offensive"?

You don't want to be sceptical after it's too late. At the very beginning of something is the best time.

Your system is new.

Ok, well everyone has their own opinion. I am only creating this site so I can get people engaged in cryptocurrencies. Like I said I don't have to answer to anyone, donations are welcome but not required.

How can you prove that any of the claims are not any of your own wallet addresses?  

Having an automated system where it skims coins on a regular basis from itself, using different wallet addresses? Of course you could.

It's like give me all the "money", I'll be in charge of all the distribution and all of the recording of transactions.  I'll run the whole system, you just keep feeding it.

Very suspicious, sorry.

Right now your faucet system is small. But if it ever grows in scale, this can be an undisputed problem.

If there is an Opal faucet, I'd rather see it running on the official Opal website by an Opal developer who is already trusted by the Opal team.

I can't prove any of that, none of it is actually automated at the moment as we are building from the ground up.

OPAL have shown their support for this Faucet but more faucet is always good for a crypto.

Ok, so that makes sense.  Instead of skimming, it was something similar, but not quite so evil.

You wanted to setup a donation site so people you visit locally (family and friends I assume, near your geographic location), could get a hold of some crypto without buying any.

It would be better to just buy $50 or $100 worth and donate them to your family and friends or whatever "local" group of people you are talking about.

So evil? I don't see what's even evil in it. Not friends and family BTW you didn't get my idea of what the site is for. Is not about giving them a $ amount to them its having them work with cryptocurrencies.

Whaler

Activity: 123

View Profile
April 22, 2015, 01:34:57 PM

Your system is new.

Ok, well everyone has their own opinion. I am only creating this site so I can get people engaged in cryptocurrencies. Like I said I don't have to answer to anyone, donations are welcome but not required.

Very suspicious, sorry.

I can't prove any of that, none of it is actually automated at the moment as we are building from the ground up.

OPAL have shown their support for this Faucet but more faucet is always good for a crypto.

So evil? I don't see what's even evil in it. Not friends and family BTW you didn't get my idea of what the site is for. Is not about giving them a $ amount to them its having them work with cryptocurrencies.

thanx for show " engagement " for crypto
CryptoNick
Legendary

Activity: 987
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:04:20 AM

I personally would rather people just go to the markets, no need for Faucets that are donated or funded. I just don't like gimmicky feel to it all. It is like your coin isn't worth buying so they give it away kind of sounding to me.

What we need is to require people to buy coin to use the functions. Make it so you either have PoS for a certain amount of coin 100 to 1000 coins to protect the blockchain or you have so much coin that you can send a fee in that would burn it into boosting PoS. Maybe like a PoS burn in coin for those who don't want to leave their computers on but use the service of Opal Drive. This would make more PoS available than normal since the Fees accrue due to usage. Then it blossoms with usage and people get a very large PoS reward if staking/using opal drive.

I hope this gets incorporated in the final Opal Drive. It kind of mimics drive mining. Since you either PaY or PoS. This would benefit everyone using Opal by burning the fees into a new PoS coin to be mined later perpetually.
toldy

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 12:01:05 PM

Make it so you either have PoS for a certain amount of coin 100 to 1000 coins to protect the blockchain or you have so much coin that you can send a fee in that would burn it into boosting PoS.

I really like that idea.  Being able to burn coins somehow to give a better reward to whoever produces the next block.

If you coordinated the event, you could buy a crap load of coins, then for the next 500 blocks increase the reward by 50 coins per block and let everyone know about it.

Or, you could have a lottery, saying that you promise to burn 2500 OPAL sometime between now and next Tuesday, which gets people installing wallets and staking coins trying to earn the stake reward if they get that block

Or, [insert your idea]

drm
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 06:26:01 PM

Hmm nice needed basic wallet for 8.1, 8 and below all worked fine though.
CryptoNick
Legendary

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 09:22:59 PM

Make it so you either have PoS for a certain amount of coin 100 to 1000 coins to protect the blockchain or you have so much coin that you can send a fee in that would burn it into boosting PoS.

I really like that idea.  Being able to burn coins somehow to give a better reward to whoever produces the next block.

If you coordinated the event, you could buy a crap load of coins, then for the next 500 blocks increase the reward by 50 coins per block and let everyone know about it.

Or, you could have a lottery, saying that you promise to burn 2500 OPAL sometime between now and next Tuesday, which gets people installing wallets and staking coins trying to earn the stake reward if they get that block

Or, [insert your idea]

Yeah exactly, it is a base of use that would grow exponentially. If the price gets too high since everyone bought the 1000 coins to PoS with then the fee would be half an Opal to send a file with Opal Drive. Or we can actually make it so that the .5 Opal only extend so many confirmations and then another .5 will be needed to Open Opal Drive, if you are not staking of course. Those fees would go into the Blockchain at the amount of confirmations.

So it won't be announced or given away and it would always be divided among PoS generation. So it effectively boosts the PoS interest rate when more people use it, and if those same people can not afford to buy 1000 Opal to stake with since the price is so high due to demand. This becomes evident only if people are buying up the Opal to stake with in order to use Opal Drive. Then the price boosts and all of a sudden not only is your PoS worth more and people hold the coin to PoS with and use Opal Drive but now you have made it so users will pay the fee easier than buy 1000 coins. This is a get in now and stay in proposition since once you sell cheap, you can no longer use Opal Drive without paying the .5 (or whatever the cost) for usage in turn making more PoS for the people who do buy and hold.

This advocates Holding Opal and creates demand for coin which raises the price for people who want to use it. Why not make it a 10,000 Coin Opal Drive stake requirement? Then you have serious Stakers. I guess there is only a question of how to protect the Opal Drive Stakers and grant the extra PoS to them. Oh wait that won't matter since 10,000 coins gets better PoS anyways and the proportion of coin burned makes the higher payout for the 10,000 since there is more PoS interest. Correct me if I am wrong there. There would be a locking mechanism in the wallet to lock you out of Opal Drive and/or charge you .5 to access Opal Drive in your specific wallet address.

That sets the bar higher and when People start using Opal Drive it just boosts everything to equal demand. The 10,000 Opal Stakers could also grant drive space through this fee. That would make it so there is a Public Folder with Encrypted Files in the Cloud that you pay to use per confirmation cycle. Then you don't need your computer on or staking to use Opal Drive. Then you can get your files at any time later. Oh and lets say someone doesn't pay for their files and stops while the data is on the cloud drive. Well their confirmations stopped and then the blocks keep ticking up confirms from the day they stopped. So to unlock their files they need to pay for the past confirms. It is like a safe you can open later while the Stakers make the money that is in the Safe due to the coin burned when the safe is opened, and that money is always inside when opened. If those files never get accessed again there would have to be a limit on confirms to free up the space.
Voidlord

View Profile
April 23, 2015, 10:24:50 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2015, 10:47:54 PM by Voidlord

Maybe like a PoS burn in coin for those who don't want to leave their computers on but use the service of Opal Drive. This would make more PoS available than normal since the Fees accrue due to usage. Then it blossoms with usage and people get a very large PoS reward if staking/using opal drive.

I hope this gets incorporated in the final Opal Drive. It kind of mimics drive mining. Since you either PaY or PoS. This would benefit everyone using Opal by burning the fees into a new PoS coin to be mined later perpetually.

Or, [insert your idea]

Interesting things here,

I try something, following your ways: (replace "lottery block" by another idea you may have)

a descending PoS interest rate:
-1,000,000 opals and more = 0% PoS (all the 5% rewards goes to the possible "lottery block", even this wallet can win )
-  999,999 opals = 0.000005% PoS interest (the 4.99995% goes to the next possible "lottery block", even... )
-  999,998 opals = 0.000010% PoS interest and 4.999900 % -> "lottery block", even...)
-2 opals = 4.999985% PoS interest, (0.000015% -> to the next possible "lottery block" even...)
-  1 opal= 4.999990% PoS interest, (0.000010% -> to the next possible "lottery block", even this wallet can win)
-  0 opal= 0 PoS (but even this wallet can win)

E=(ɔ)mc²
Daedelus

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 08:47:03 AM

Just a friendly bump for the OPAL and all other Supernet guys who might be running Nxt nodes  Grin

There was a critical bug fix in NRS v.1.4.17 but someone is exploiting it still as there are still those who haven't updated their nodes.

So please could you check all your nodes and tell your friends and colleagues on slack who might not check nxtforum to do the same. It is important to do so to keep them safe.

Also see: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1036345.0

Thanks  Cheesy
Androidicus

Activity: 339

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 09:27:43 AM

@toldy - 100% agree; be sceptical & suspicious of everything in the crypto space. Absolutely. Definitely. I have lost BTC and other coins  following a number of "disappearing acts" by others in the past couple of years...

But to suggest that anything around any coin should only be developed by the coin's own trusted developers is rather limiting wouldn't you say? Effectively, this is what you are saying by:

^^^ Substitute "Opal" with "any coin you like" in the above sentence...

So by the same token, Bitcoin faucets or any other system for distributing Bitcoin, should be developed by the trusted Bitcoin developers? Smacks of centralization to me...

In any case - cryptogiveaways.org is a small joint project between myself and batesresearch. I am working for nothing.

If devs wish to donate or support it, then that's great; if not, well that's up to them and their community. The amounts are relatively trivial and no-one is going to get rich quick, or even make a living quickly by skimming off a few coins worth on average 0.0000xxxx BTC whether it's automated or manual or whatever...

If folks want to donate to help support its existence, or as some form of recognition of any perceived value/effort/worth, then that's great but we're not seeking that - you may also notice that the site will be 100% ad-free. 

No evil intended. It's just a project. Smiley

Your system is new.

Very suspicious, sorry.

Failure is success waiting to happen...
CryptoNick
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 10:11:40 AM

@toldy - 100% agree; be sceptical & suspicious of everything in the crypto space. Absolutely. Definitely. I have lost BTC and other coins  following a number of "disappearing acts" by others in the past couple of years...

But to suggest that anything around any coin should only be developed by the coin's own trusted developers is rather limiting wouldn't you say? Effectively, this is what you are saying by:

^^^ Substitute "Opal" with "any coin you like" in the above sentence...

So by the same token, Bitcoin faucets or any other system for distributing Bitcoin, should be developed by the trusted Bitcoin developers? Smacks of centralization to me...

In any case - cryptogiveaways.org is a small joint project between myself and batesresearch. I am working for nothing.

If devs wish to donate or support it, then that's great; if not, well that's up to them and their community. The amounts are relatively trivial and no-one is going to get rich quick, or even make a living quickly by skimming off a few coins worth on average 0.0000xxxx BTC whether it's automated or manual or whatever...

If folks want to donate to help support its existence, or as some form of recognition of any perceived value/effort/worth, then that's great but we're not seeking that - you may also notice that the site will be 100% ad-free. 

No evil intended. It's just a project. Smiley

Your system is new.

Very suspicious, sorry.

That is a better explanation, so this is like a Leaky Faucet Smiley Thanks for your efforts and I am sure you mean well!
CryptoNick
Legendary

View Profile
April 24, 2015, 11:05:31 AM

Maybe like a PoS burn in coin for those who don't want to leave their computers on but use the service of Opal Drive. This would make more PoS available than normal since the Fees accrue due to usage. Then it blossoms with usage and people get a very large PoS reward if staking/using opal drive.

Or, [insert your idea]

Interesting things here,

I try something, following your ways: (replace "lottery block" by another idea you may have)

a descending PoS interest rate:
-1,000,000 opals and more = 0% PoS (all the 5% rewards goes to the possible "lottery block", even this wallet can win )
-  999,999 opals = 0.000005% PoS interest (the 4.99995% goes to the next possible "lottery block", even... )
-  999,998 opals = 0.000010% PoS interest and 4.999900 % -> "lottery block", even...)
-2 opals = 4.999985% PoS interest, (0.000015% -> to the next possible "lottery block" even...)
-  1 opal= 4.999990% PoS interest, (0.000010% -> to the next possible "lottery block", even this wallet can win)
-  0 opal= 0 PoS (but even this wallet can win)

That increases staking for sure, my thoughts were to boost Opal Drive Usage and coin value through locking down large stakers, and perhaps link a cloud service paid for by the Fees but also using the Fees to pay Drive Stakers within Opal Drive. A Cloud service would have to be paid for though so we have to find a creative way to automate that through PoS. Can you imagine a World Wide Load Balanced Amazon Instance that just gets paid automatically! It would grow as the user base grows. No disparity in bandwidth anywhere like other services may encounter from people using a laptop to drive mine lol.

I have to think this through a bit more though. People will have to pay to use it no matter what, Stakers lose the use of their coin (confirmation locking to use, and 1000 confirms to wait after detaching) and payers just pay but also based on the value of the coin. Which may be astronomical if it catches on. So the use fee could be like 10 coins. That is fine to start with and no cost really, until those coins become 50 cents a coin, and the coin would eventually average out to a reasonable cost and only fluctuate since a costly service is backing the coin now. Since you can't buy 10,000 coins for cheap at that point, but those who bought early and held their 10,000 coin got a deal and most of those people will keep the coin indefinitely, if they are smart and like the service. So the 10,000 coin Staking can be the only way to PoS maybe too. Other coin is just bought and sold with no PoS so that people will participate at large levels. These numbers can all be set differently, it is just to show an extreme example. The selling of the coin that is paid in Fees would be done professionally too not dumped out, more like a feasible sell wall.

So on the large scale of 10,000 coins to stake you would only allow 1000 or less people to get in for free. Since much is distributed at smaller amounts there will not be enough supply for more people to get the service for Free. So everyone else must pay and boost the price massively, just so the fees can be meted out due to the scarcity of coin held by 10,000 coin wallets PoSing for Opal Drive Freedom.

Help me iron this out, I already have a great name for the Cloud service, I sent it to Bass and may have mentioned it to Void too.

This has got to work somehow!
Pages: « 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 »
  Print  

Jump to: