Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 12:46:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 79 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only girl on here? : (  (Read 147181 times)
Rubber Ducky

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:06:09 AM

shorena are you female?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoins101

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:08:29 AM

shorena are you female?
1. It doesn't matter.
2. I doubt it.

Rubber Ducky

Activity: 29

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 10:13:37 AM

shorena are you female?
1. It doesn't matter.
2. I doubt it.

1. It does matter
2. Why? Shorena is a java programmer. Are you saying women can't code?
Daanie

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:17:09 AM

shorena are you female?
1. It doesn't matter.
2. I doubt it.

1. It does matter
2. Why? Shorena is a java programmer. Are you saying women can't code?

Why does gender makes a difference on here? I treat everyone equal here, unless they behave suspicious.

Scamalert

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Captain

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:18:02 AM

Someone summoned me:

My scammer alert alarm is sounding. Yeah, there are a few girls involved in bitcoin, but sadly most of the ones on here who go out of their way to tell everyone about their female gender are unfortunately just gearing up to try scam people.

Hii!
Just wondering if there are any fellow girls on here who are into Bitcoin mining, trading, etc. It seems it's mainly guys. We are roughly 50% of the population of this planet yet I can't find any girls who are into Bitcoins, anywhere.

Everytime I try to mention Bitcoins while hanging out with girlfriends they always look confused and change the subject, yet they're not "dumb girls", they've been to Uni, spend a lot of time online, have paypal acc's, online banking, etc. Why are they so reluctant to hear about Bitcoins?

Claiming to be a girl, proceed with extreme caution. Potential scam!
Scamalert

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

Captain

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 11:21:44 AM

If Vod says you are legit then you are!

Until future notice we will treat you like scam!

Why? Look here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623086.msg6905880#msg6905880

read the whole story and you will see Vod is fucking right every time!

agreed, you better start shining your best shoe, because it will be required to be over your head soon.
fabiola! (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 01:33:47 PM

I always finish emails/messages with x. It doesn't mean I'm sending a virtual snog, it's just a friendly thing I always do with everyone who's been friendly/nice. Most girls do this, if you communicated with girls you would know this! <BURRRN> Smiley lol jk. Even though most of you were mean to me, I'm not gonna be mean to you and call you geeky or antisocial or anything, I just want you to be welcoming to girls, that's all. I didn't even start this thread for that purpose, I wasn't like "I'm a girl, welcome me!!!". All I wanted was to know if there are other girls on here since I cannot find any girls interested in btc in real life and none of my girlfriends care. It's worrying because we need everyone on board for btc to go forward, not just guys. And if you guys make it impossible for us to even participate in a forum then I don't see how that's ever going to happen. Just remember, girls are better than guys at some things, I think you could really do with our input and help, it would be really good for btc, think about it.
hlynur

Activity: 770
Merit: 501

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 03:16:59 PM

I always finish emails/messages with x. It doesn't mean I'm sending a virtual snog, it's just a friendly thing I always do with everyone who's been friendly/nice. Most girls do this, if you communicated with girls you would know this! <BURRRN> Smiley lol jk. Even though most of you were mean to me, I'm not gonna be mean to you and call you geeky or antisocial or anything, I just want you to be welcoming to girls, that's all. I didn't even start this thread for that purpose, I wasn't like "I'm a girl, welcome me!!!". All I wanted was to know if there are other girls on here since I cannot find any girls interested in btc in real life and none of my girlfriends care. It's worrying because we need everyone on board for btc to go forward, not just guys. And if you guys make it impossible for us to even participate in a forum then I don't see how that's ever going to happen. Just remember, girls are better than guys at some things, I think you could really do with our input and help, it would be really good for btc, think about it.

if you want to find other females in this forum perhaps best way is making a thread on offtopic board.
iirc there has been one with exactly your subject some months ago.
even if you won't find any females it's still a good opportunity to refresh ignore list  Wink
nanobrain legitimately brought up an interesting discussion a while ago (-> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=341467.0)

please don't generalize this community though.
the majority are nice people but as always the offensive ones get the most attention. Just use ignore function to separate the wheat from the chaff and forum gets much more readable,
besides life is too short to spend any energy on illuminating some trolls or outdated cavemen.

with every bubble came a flood of new users and when you've seen 4chan or reddit you will have a slight idea of the huge variety of personas that appeared with that.
mentioning that you're female is always met with distrust and naturally considered as bait in a userbase where majority is male, hetero and got used to scammers.
btw stuff like r/girlsgonebitcoin and history of several supposedly female users in here manifested the golddigger prejudice even more.

As far as i'm concerned i couldn't care less about any users' gender, to a part it's all virtual roleplaying where genders fade to grey and you can be whoever you want...heh, we even have a penguin on wallobserver thread  Cheesy

tl;dr
mention your gender to find other females or if it adds new perspective to a thread/discussion, apart from that disregard it and don't feel too offended if some threads turn to bar-room level. (in severe cases just report it to the mods)

SparkedDev

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:08:46 PM

Im a girl, Guy in real life

.BITVEST DICE.
HAS BEEN RELEASED!

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
hlynur

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:33:07 PM

mkay, why not  Smiley

(btw nice site you set up, but signature link opens https://anikoi.com/  showing the SparkedHosting homepage,
http works)

SparkedDev

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 04:35:19 PM

mkay, why not  Smiley

(btw nice site you set up, but signature link opens https://anikoi.com/  showing the SparkedHosting homepage,
http works)

Oh thanks for telling me i thought i missed something.

.BITVEST DICE.
HAS BEEN RELEASED!

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 18, 2014, 09:49:30 PM

..mentioning that you're female is always met with distrust and naturally considered as bait in a userbase where majority is male, hetero and got used to scammers.
btw stuff like r/girlsgonebitcoin and history of several supposedly female users in here manifested the golddigger prejudice even more.

I know the majority is male, but everyone needs to make an effort to let us participate, the first step being non alienating us when we join. We need to kill that golddigger prejudice ASAP, for good. Donations are fine, everyone's free to spend their btc anyway they please, and I'm not even against those guys going on girlsgonebitcoin getting naked pics in exchange for btc, boys will be boys (although a bit dumb to part with their hard earned btc when they can get naughty pics from pretty much every girl on tumblr for free. Guys, take note!).
I just want everyone to sort of understand that girls involved with btc doesn't necessarily mean they are beggers, scammers, or taking naked pics, some of us are nice girls who don't like being associated with that sort of behaviour.
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 01:31:51 AM

Ps. What's improving someone's trust? Can someone explain how this forum works?

Since this has not been answered yet.

#1 you click on someones name, which shows their profile
#2 at the bottom is trust, which opens the trust page [1]
#3 at the bottom of that page you can leave positive or negative feedback. Its intendet for trading, but I occasionally use it to remind myself that I dont want to deal with certain people here. There is a lengthy part about it in the unofficial faq [2] if you want to know more.

Thanks Shorena! Still learning my way round this forum Smiley x
hlynur

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 01:37:42 AM

..mentioning that you're female is always met with distrust and naturally considered as bait in a userbase where majority is male, hetero and got used to scammers.

I know the majority is male, but everyone needs to make an effort to let us participate, the first step being non alienating us when we join. We need to kill that golddigger prejudice ASAP, for good. Donations are fine, everyone's free to spend their btc anyway they please, and I'm not even against those guys going on girlsgonebitcoin getting naked pics in exchange for btc, boys will be boys (although a bit dumb to part with their hard earned btc when they can get naughty pics from pretty much every girl on tumblr for free. Guys, take note!).
I just want everyone to sort of understand that girls involved with btc doesn't necessarily mean they are beggers, scammers, or taking naked pics, some of us are nice girls who don't like being associated with that sort of behaviour.

i agree that shouting scamalert when a user mentions being female is an overreaction (must feel quite discriminating, esp as a newbie),
and that conditioned "safety function" adressed at warning inexperienced users came too hasty in your case.
imo this should only take effect when a user is actually asking for coins.

but besides that no further steps are needed.
what would you tell someone who asks for efforts to let LGBTs participate?

this is an anonymous forum and as hilariousco mentioned gender and also age/origin/religion/sexual orientation should be irrelevant, everybody contributes however she/he wants.

so don't be bothered by the initial distrust, you seem like the rare and needed cases for community to reconsider position and handle this subject a bit more sensitive.
Have some friendly hugs and enjoy reading & posting here.

Relnarien

Activity: 399
Merit: 257

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:47:35 AM

Funnily enough, Satoshi Nakamoto could be a syllabary anagram for Tomoka Nashitosa, which would mean that the first Bitcoin user was a girl. Add that to your conspiracy theories.

Back on topic, there are girls here. Lots of them, for sure. It just happens that they don't consider it relevant to broadcast that information to random online strangers 99% of the time. I don't think it's much of an issue that the OP claimed to be a girl though. It was relevant to the topic, as far as I can tell. I personally don't care either way.

If you think about it though, after fair warning has been rendered, if someone still willingly chooses to ignore common sense just because he/she is dealing with a "girl," then who are we to argue against Darwinian wisdom? Thinking before acting helps not just yourself but the whole community.
busterroni

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 03:38:59 AM

I was at a meetup yesterday and a girl was there Smiley
fluffyponyza

Activity: 28

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 12:59:29 PM

I think day by day involvement of girls are increasing. What do you think?
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:35:02 PM

I wish every girl on this forum could feel comfortable enough to post "I'm a girl" on this thread without fear of being judged. None have come forward. What does that tell you?
Mr Tea

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 02:38:23 PM

I wish every girl on this forum could feel comfortable enough to post "I'm a girl" on this thread without fear of being judged. None have come forward. What does that tell you?

I think it tells us that there is very little women on these forums, and that they don't need to come out. Maybe we should think of ourselves as genderless because gender is irrelevant hear. I will try get Mrs Tea to sign up, though.

fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2014, 10:17:27 PM

I think it tells us that there is very little women on these forums, and that they don't need to come out. Maybe we should think of ourselves as genderless because gender is irrelevant hear. I will try get Mrs Tea to sign up, though.

Well, now that we have all sort of agreed how silly it is to alienate girls, I wish some of them would say hi on here. That was the whole point of this thread, to find some fellow girls on here, the same way some of you are finding people with other similar interests apart from btc, or people from the same country as you, or whatever.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 79 »
  Print  

Jump to: