Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:05:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 79 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I the only girl on here? : (  (Read 147185 times)
dougg

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 11:04:31 AM

Hii!
Just wondering if there are any fellow girls on here who are into Bitcoin mining, trading, etc. It seems it's mainly guys. We are roughly 50% of the population of this planet yet I can't find any girls who are into Bitcoins, anywhere.

Everytime I try to mention Bitcoins while hanging out with girlfriends they always look confused and change the subject, yet they're not "dumb girls", they've been to Uni, spend a lot of time online, have paypal acc's, online banking, etc. Why are they so reluctant to hear about Bitcoins?

Gender is of no relevance here. People with and without penis/vagina tend to look confused and change subject when it comes to bitcoin. The other thing is that male individuals tend to fake beeing female in order to get loans etc. Thus anyone that outright claims to be female will be considered a scam until proven otherwise. Isnt it fantastic how our society has evolved since we went digital?
Gender is of no relevance to this conversation. Gender and biological sex are two very different things that you are confusing just to let you know...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 01:59:15 PM

-snip-
Gender is of no relevance to this conversation. Gender and biological sex are two very different things that you are confusing just to let you know...

Trust me, I am not confusing those, I usually do not discuss this in english though. But its just another reason why the question makes no sense. My gender as well as my biological sex (where also more than 2 answers would be possible) say very little about me. It might be relevant -alongside sexual orientation/preference- when dating, but I doubt anyone would go here for a date.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
clovex

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:26:25 PM

Girls are rare around here, no lie. Most early adopters will be men  Tongue
Farmer17

Activity: 674
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 20, 2014, 03:36:45 PM

Welcome to bitcoin and bitcointalk.

Everytime I try to mention Bitcoins while hanging out with girlfriends they always look confused and change the subject, yet they're not "dumb girls", they've been to Uni, spend a lot of time online, have paypal acc's, online banking, etc. Why are they so reluctant to hear about Bitcoins?

I am a male but I am quite interested in this.
Do your friends not trust bitcoin because of the negative publicity (for example, the connection with illegal goods) or the geeky and nerdy impression? Or do they find bitcoin not user friendly enough?  Huh

btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
September 20, 2014, 05:23:58 PM

Do your friends not trust bitcoin because of the negative publicity (for example, the connection with illegal goods) or the geeky and nerdy impression? Or do they find bitcoin not user friendly enough?  Huh

Farmer17, just who do you think you are, asking an on-topic question like this??

Seriously though, it's a good question and I'm interested to see what Fabiola! thinks.
dzust

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 08:03:05 AM

No You are not Wink
fabiola! (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 07:24:52 PM

Farmer17, just who do you think you are, asking an on-topic question like this??

Seriously though, it's a good question and I'm interested to see what Fabiola! thinks.

They think btc is "imaginary money" and that it could "suddenly disappear", that's why they don't trust it. Also, they read a guy got arrested at a French airport just for mentioning the word bitcoin, so I guess the negative press doesn't help either. And they don't like how it changes value, they don't understand why it does that and it's scary to them, kinda unreliable.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 21, 2014, 09:33:54 PM

While its hard to argue FUD I doubt anyone was jailed for saying bitcoin in france. Its been a while since Ive been to paris but while I dont like police with machineguns they seemed very friendly no matter what crazy stuff I said.

The changing value part is basically a mixture between a foreign currency and a stock. Bitcoin as a foreign currency changes usefullness all the time for different people thus it goes up and down within a certain range (400-600USD atm). This is basically because Bitcoin is the local currency of the internet, but noone is actually living here. So we all have to go back and pay rent, gas etc. and yes some lucky few can pay thsoe bills with bitcoins and even get paid in bitcoin.
Bitcoin as a stock is a good running firm, its long term trend is up and it looks like it keeps going.

Just because its virtual does not mean it can just disappear. An online bank account is virtual, yet noone is afraid it will be gone just like that. To kill the entire blockchain is even harder. Every copy would have to be deleted, every backup etc. The private keys to spend the bitcoin are a different matter, but with a little preparation this should be no problem as well. E.g. electrums mnemonics are very nice as a backup system. Write it down, put it away safely and be fine.

What I often read and experience is that its best to not explain to much, but rather wait for questions. E.g. I had family over today and one was asking about my magic internet money so I explained a little and promissed to send some links via Mail. If more questions arise I can answer in more detail via mail or phone or in person.

anglo byte

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 21, 2014, 09:46:35 PM

welcome Smiley nice to see more girls here !

Scamalert

Activity: 490

Captain

View Profile
September 22, 2014, 07:19:06 AM

I was at a meetup yesterday and a girl was there Smiley
I think day by day involvement of girls are increasing. What do you think?

I wish every girl on this forum could feel comfortable enough to post "I'm a girl" on this thread without fear of being judged. None have come forward. What does that tell you?

I will be watching you actions, I will call you out if you do something shady.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2014, 07:35:32 AM

I wish every girl on this forum could feel comfortable enough to post "I'm a girl" on this thread without fear of being judged. None have come forward. What does that tell you?

I will be watching you actions, I will call you out if you do something shady.

Yes, officer *saltues*
Please continue your good deed to the community.
It's nice how you keep all the newbies on close watch.

fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:55:47 PM

While its hard to argue FUD I doubt anyone was jailed for saying bitcoin in france. Its been a while since Ive been to paris but while I dont like police with machineguns they seemed very friendly no matter what crazy stuff I said.

The changing value part is basically a mixture between a foreign currency and a stock. Bitcoin as a foreign currency changes usefullness all the time for different people thus it goes up and down within a certain range (400-600USD atm). This is basically because Bitcoin is the local currency of the internet, but noone is actually living here. So we all have to go back and pay rent, gas etc. and yes some lucky few can pay thsoe bills with bitcoins and even get paid in bitcoin.
Bitcoin as a stock is a good running firm, its long term trend is up and it looks like it keeps going.

Just because its virtual does not mean it can just disappear. An online bank account is virtual, yet noone is afraid it will be gone just like that. To kill the entire blockchain is even harder. Every copy would have to be deleted, every backup etc. The private keys to spend the bitcoin are a different matter, but with a little preparation this should be no problem as well. E.g. electrums mnemonics are very nice as a backup system. Write it down, put it away safely and be fine.

What I often read and experience is that its best to not explain to much, but rather wait for questions. E.g. I had family over today and one was asking about my magic internet money so I explained a little and promissed to send some links via Mail. If more questions arise I can answer in more detail via mail or phone or in person.

I'm gonna have to print this out and send it along with this years' xmas cards : )
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
September 29, 2014, 07:59:31 PM

My scammer alert alarm is sounding. Yeah, there are a few girls involved in bitcoin, but sadly most of the ones on here who go out of their way to tell everyone about their female gender are unfortunately just gearing up to try scam people.

Whoa! Stereotyping much? Not all girls are bitwhores, OKKK??
I have 4 KNC miners + a cute butterfly on the way (hopefully 2, they haven't arrived yet).
Please be a bit more welcoming to girls, with this sort of harsh stereotyping going on it's no wonder I can't find any girls on here.

..Would a girl really go around referring to a bitcoin miner as 'cute'? I don't think they would, but someone pretending to be one will usually use words that they think will make them sound a bit more believable. Don't take it personally, but this place is full of scammers and there are certain things that will always arouse suspicion, and being a 'girl' is one of them.

BTW I don't think butterfly miners are cute anymore, I just found out I'm not getting mine delivered, ever Sad
busterroni

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 05:23:47 PM

I don't really know because I only know of one girl who uses Bitcoin at all Tongue Then again, I only know like 10 guys who use it.
fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
October 01, 2014, 06:54:56 PM

I don't really know because I only know of one girl who uses Bitcoin at all Tongue Then again, I only know like 10 guys who use it.

Well, I'm a girl so make it two : )
LorkiSan

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:55:46 AM

Bitcoingirls? Really?  Grin
chairoverflow

Activity: 22

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 03:37:20 AM

Well, I'm a girl so make it two : )
Number of girls are increasing. One of my colleague is also using bitcoin.
Soappa

Activity: 569

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 05:16:20 AM

I have a couple of my female friends using bitcoin, so you can't be the only girl in the bitcoin world. Smiley

fabiola! (OP)

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 11:13:44 AM

That's great, they should join this forum! : )
ivanovasmd

Activity: 43

View Profile
October 02, 2014, 12:18:59 PM

I have talked to my female friends about Bitcoin but no one cares when i tell them it's not free  Roll Eyes
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... 79 »
  Print  

Jump to: